Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

+2 Flail of Mutually Assured Destruction

I played a dwarf with a chain flail in an old D&D game, and I convinced the DM to let me add trophies of the enemies I killed to the flail. Our party killed a couple giant cobras and I added their teeth to the weapon, only to roll a critical failure on an attack and get the teeth stuck in my own face and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Soul Dentist posted:

I played a dwarf with a chain flail in an old D&D game, and I convinced the DM to let me add trophies of the enemies I killed to the flail. Our party killed a couple giant cobras and I added their teeth to the weapon, only to roll a critical failure on an attack and get the teeth stuck in my own face and die.

I like that you're taking responsibility for your death when the DM was clearly waiting for a chance to kill you.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Data Graham posted:

Same and I've never seen any reason to think otherwise.

They're like mosquitoes

I, too, have played the Crimson Court DLC for Darkest Dungeon.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

"I attempt to parry with my screwdriver"
"sure, roll a dex check"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lobok posted:

I like that you're taking responsibility for your death when the DM was clearly waiting for a chance to kill you.

That's all DMs.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lobok posted:

Look, the point of D&D is to thwart the DM. If they're planning to kill my character, it's my duty to kill my character first.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The first vampire to explicitly have fangs was Varney the Vampire (published 1845-1847).

Before that there is curiously little mention made to the teeth of vampires. No matter if they're literary, folkloric, and even in alleged real life cases.

The original Balkan vampires more frequently fed through the chest than throat leaving blue marks rather than puncture or bite marks. This makes sense since it was a variation of the Mare/Old Hag( what we would now call Sleep Paralysis) as they'd sorta squat on their victim's chest as they slept. Albanian vampires were the exception as they were said to drink from the soles of their victim's feed.

Likewise bats are not associated with vampires before the 19th century as the species wasn't described by any European source until 1810 and thus there wouldnt've been an association between bats and blood in the minds of eastern European peasants before that.

:drac: :goonsay: :drac:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean as far as I'm concerned,

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Aug 17, 2023

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

The first vampire to explicitly have fangs was Varney the Vampire (published 1845-1847).

Before that there is curiously little mention made to the teeth of vampires. No matter if they're literary, folkloric, and even in alleged real life cases.

The original Balkan vampires more frequently fed through the chest than throat leaving blue marks rather than puncture or bite marks. This makes sense since it was a variation of the Mare/Old Hag( what we would now call Sleep Paralysis) as they'd sorta squat on their victim's chest as they slept. Albanian vampires were the exception as they were said to drink from the soles of their victim's feed.

Likewise bats are not associated with vampires before the 19th century as the species wasn't described by any European source until 1810 and thus there wouldnt've been an association between bats and blood in the minds of eastern European peasants before that.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

FreudianSlippers posted:

Tarantino-rear end vampires smdh

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The sheer variety of evil beings in folklore feeding on the living's vitality in some way is amazing, basically a story vampire can be absolutely anything.
Which makes it sad how much of the literature is just fading photocopies of Nosferatu or Dracula.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

dr_rat posted:

in some vampire media the victims have a large chunk of the neck torn out, and there's plenty that have shown pretty bad scaring, so in those ones at least they fangs seem more of just an easy way to tear the neck so it just bleeds a lot. w

I always thought the vampires living the two pin prick marks on the victims neck was usually more of easier to show in tv and movies with out getting an R rating.

Also drinking through your teeth also just seems goofy as gently caress to me. Although in modern media a lot of times vampires are shown to be pretty goofy so :shrug:
I read a vampire novel like the tweet in which the vampires' fangs are hollow and they use them as straws. It is was absolutely ridiculous. I think it was Red Moon Rising?

EDIT: It was! It's not written very well, though. This could be multiple openings per fang!

Metaline has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Aug 17, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

By popular demand posted:

The sheer variety of evil beings in folklore feeding on the living's vitality in some way is amazing, basically a story vampire can be absolutely anything.
Which makes it sad how much of the literature is just fading photocopies of Nosferatu or Dracula.

I had as a kid a series of little booklets I got from a children's horror magazine I think and one was on vampires obviously. There was supposed to be one that was absolutely tiny and I think rode a cricket that burrowed into you

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I like the old one where the lady is a completely ordinary human by day, as night falls she's a skull faced horror that ages people as she feeds.
And the one where the vampire is some sort of artificial construct or cyborg that can only be discovered by certain types of light.
both are short stories too, which means they don't drag.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Vampires aren't real so there's no reason why every vampire can't have straw teeth including the ones that rip your carotid apart entirely.

Except Bunnicula. Bunnicula is real.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

ARE YOU DENYING DUCKULA YOU HEATHAN

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

By popular demand posted:

Part of the Dracula mania is that Bram Stoker made a process error when submitting the US copyright to the book. He submitted the paperwork and ONE copy of the work, instead of the required TWO copies. It fell into public domain in the US almost immediately which made it a very attractive (read: cheap) subject for the early film industry.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is amazing

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

canyoneer posted:

Part of the Dracula mania is that Bram Stoker made a process error when submitting the US copyright to the book. He submitted the paperwork and ONE copy of the work, instead of the required TWO copies. It fell into public domain in the US almost immediately which made it a very attractive (read: cheap) subject for the early film industry.

George Romero and co. made a similar mistake with Night Of The Living Dead which probably made it spread like wildfire.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Some pre-Dracula/Varney/Ruthven/Carmilla variations of vampires I remember reading about:

-Flying boneless sack of blood. Spends the first period of its existence floating around houses while invisible causing objects to fall off shelves and things to go bump in the night. Doesn't become malignant until the latter stages of its brief undead existence.

-A sort of shadow formed out of the blood of a murder victim. Stands locked in place in the exact spot the blood was spilled. Calls out the name of the killer in the night. Can only be killed with the same type of weapon as was used to kill the original victim.

-Bulgarian vampire that loves wrestling. Usually created when a person just really doesn't want to die and is stubborn and willful enough for it to work. Sometimes said to eat poop when blood is in short supply.

-Vampire pumpkins. They mostly just roll around and make strange sounds and can't really harm anyone. Probably not good to eat.

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

Re: vamp chat

https://plus.maths.org/sites/plus.maths.org/files/articles/2010/grime/circle_3.png

E: me too dumb to image leech

The Killing Jelq has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Aug 17, 2023

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
blah. blah blah

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Data Graham posted:

I mean as far as I'm concerned,

Glad I wasn't the only one that immediately thought of this comic

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Why do vampire bats? To punch the hole they lap the blood out of!

The truth is that vampires have a retractable proboscis. The fangs are for show, like peacock tails and the clitoris.

If clitorises are for show how come I've never seen one?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Inceltown posted:

If clitorises are for show how come I've never seen one?

They automatically retract when dangerous perverts are about.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:newlol:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

They automatically retract when dangerous perverts are about.

any particular reason why you're calling this goon a dangerous pervert

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

TSR once wrote an article on different vampire types for an article in Dragon Magazine, and the only one I remember is one that used their fingernails to slice open their victim.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Metaline posted:

I read a vampire novel like the tweet in which the vampires' fangs are hollow and they use them as straws. It is was absolutely ridiculous. I think it
EDIT: It was! It's not written very well, though. This could be multiple openings per fang!

lol vampires with hollow bones. It would explain how they could fly, but also it would mean they would break their bones all the drat time!

90% of the time a vampire chased you it would be on crutches. People would only get bitten by vampires because they intentionally let themselves get bit because they feel sorry for them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Their primary source of nutrition would be inattentive rehab nurses.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I like that old bit about Vampires that if one chases you, you have to spill some rice on the floor and the vampire is compelled to stop and count every rice corn.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Grendels Dad posted:

I like that old bit about Vampires that if one chases you, you have to spill some rice on the floor and the vampire is compelled to stop and count every rice corn.

That's ridiculous. No vampire would be compelled to count these estimated 664,723 grains of rice you have so haphazardly strewn about the floor!

Now if you'll excuse me I want to check if my estimation is correct. One, two, three, four....

BigHead has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Aug 17, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

BigHead posted:

That's ridiculous. No vampire would be compelled to count these estimated 664,723 grains of rice you have so haphazardly strewn about the floor!

Now if you'll excuse me I want to check if my education is correct. One, two, three, four....

That's slightly less than 2 cubic feet of rice. A hell of a lot to spill!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Grendels Dad posted:

Actually that is about people with OCD. It's an easy mistake, though.

In similar vein, in Finnish folklore werewolves are people who have suffered of hunger for a long time. They will then appear outside your house and the way to cure them is to throw a piece of bread from your window.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Grendels Dad posted:

I think you're confusing vampires with Dustin Hoffman. An easy mistake, many people make it.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

What do you do if two Dustin Hoffmanns are chasing you at the same time then smart guy

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You play Mr Magoriums Wonder Emporium on your phone, and they will both curl up and die from the shame of it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

any particular reason why you're calling this goon a dangerous pervert

fun

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Kheldarn posted:

TSR once wrote an article on different vampire types for an article in Dragon Magazine, and the only one I remember is one that used their fingernails to slice open their victim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

Scratch Monkey posted:

blah. blah blah

bout to feed a man for a day