Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

snergle posted:

im actually curious because every time i try to think of one i cant ive never seen a tree branch or something in a perfect 90degree and even the joke answer making an L with your fingers doesnt work because of the skin flap smoothing the corner out. and i google'd a bunch of mesa pictures and they arent even close. i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys.

Hey now, it wasn't a joke answer! There was no skin flap because I forgot to mention it wasn't a real chimp but a robot. Well, maybe more of a rat than a chimp. And now that I think about it, it wasn't the zoo but Chuck E. Cheese's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Phlegmish posted:

Also the concept of one particular language being the oldest is nonsensical

Exactly. All human languages were invented simultaneously at the Tower of Babel. Everyone accepts this.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/bfJewb7.gifv

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

World War Mammories posted:

not a full movie but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkR2hnXR0SM

anyway yeah blindsight freakin owns. the sequel echopraxia isn't as good but still quite enjoyable. peter watts is good https://www.rifters.com/real/shorts/PeterWatts_Malak.pdf

I've been on the internet too long. Scrolling down I could only see the thumbnail as an old friend of ours.

I think it's the big red play button in the middle that sold it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Sunshine posted:

The vampires in Blindsight are awesome. Turns out that the myth that they can be warded off by crosses is because they undergo violent, fatal seizures when faced with right angles, and they all basically went extinct once humans started building houses. Now they've been brought back to life by scientists because it turns out that they are excellent interpreters between regular humans and the hyper-intelligent but severely autistic AIs they've built to pilot spaceships.

So minimalist Loss is Vampire Protection

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kheldarn posted:

So minimalist Loss is Vampire Protection
Loss itself is riddled with right angles.

slowm
Sep 5, 2013

live slow, die whenevs

Grassy Knowles posted:

In a year and a half, you’ll get a response to this

Haha yeah

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
More like fastm

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

space uncle posted:

Was about to post bismuth when I saw your edit:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1291575638/massive-bismuth-crystal-specimen

I will purchase this to keep myself safe from vampires, a sound financial decision.
Natural bismuth doesn't look anything like that almost ever, there's a whole melting and cooling process that's used to get bismuth crystals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4TTPdmnVwE

Relevant NileRed video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_qpzFlpgpo

stringless has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Aug 21, 2023

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Phy posted:

Of course, this means that retroactively the dinosaur guy from 1985's name would be like being called "poo poo Fuckasaurus",

Well there’s a new delivery sign up name secured,thanks.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FFT posted:

Natural bismuth doesn't look anything like that almost ever, there's a whole melting and cooling process that's used to get bismuth crystals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4TTPdmnVwE

Relevant NileRed video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_qpzFlpgpo
*smugging it up on mars protected from vampires by the high levels of orthoclase feldspar*

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cocaine Bear posted:

It's also great for how hard it shits on how current-day society treats people it labels as neurodivergent.

Here's a picture:

I worked for a printing company that drug tested its employees for weed even though they wanted good graphic designers. I'm pretty good and had decided to stop smoking pot on my own but, god drat, talk about thinning out the potential applicants. Also worth noting that poo poo like xanax or oxy were totally fine so long as you had a prescription.

The weird gray area to my mind right now is that you can still get fired for smoking dope even if you have a prescription and I'm not sure how that's even legal. What if I take prescribed anti depressants or sleep aids but my boss thinks those things are bad?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Never understood why office jobs give a poo poo about whether employees are high.

You're not operating heavy machinery or doing surgery. You're sending emails and filling out Excel forms. You can be as high and drunk as you want and it won't make a difference.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

I worked for a printing company that drug tested its employees for weed even though they wanted good graphic designers. I'm pretty good and had decided to stop smoking pot on my own but, god drat, talk about thinning out the potential applicants. Also worth noting that poo poo like xanax or oxy were totally fine so long as you had a prescription.

The weird gray area to my mind right now is that you can still get fired for smoking dope even if you have a prescription and I'm not sure how that's even legal. What if I take prescribed anti depressants or sleep aids but my boss thinks those things are bad?

Federal law prohibits the prescription of weed, and the state level laws are irrelevant to this, therefore the possession of weed violates federal law. Oxy and Xanax are legal to possess with a valid prescription under both federal and state law. That's the difference.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

FreudianSlippers posted:

Never understood why office jobs give a poo poo about whether employees are high.

You're not operating heavy machinery or doing surgery. You're sending emails and filling out Excel forms. You can be as high and drunk as you want and it won't make a difference.

It depends on if you're so trashed your work is suffering. There can be a line where it's an issue. Drawing that line at 0 rather than trying to figure it out is a whole lot easier than doing work finding out each individuals point of incompetence.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Inceltown posted:

It depends on if you're so trashed your work is suffering. There can be a line where it's an issue. Drawing that line at 0 rather than trying to figure it out is a whole lot easier than doing work finding out each individuals point of incompetence.

Jokes on them, I'm always incompetent.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Inceltown posted:

And due to being scheduled as having "no valid medical use" there can't legally be any research into where or how that line should be drawn the way there has been for, say, alcohol and driving (which has its own issues, of course, since almost all of that research was done on early- to mid-20s white dudes last I checked)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Inceltown posted:

There's also fear of liability. If something happens and lawyers get involved, the company is in deep poo poo if they've been tolerating openly drunk and/or high employees.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

BigHead posted:

Federal law prohibits the prescription of weed, and the state level laws are irrelevant to this, therefore the possession of weed violates federal law. Oxy and Xanax are legal to possess with a valid prescription under both federal and state law. That's the difference.

Luckily, Biden's administration was or is, looking into the whole weed thing...like, months and months ago...any minute, now. After all these years it will...stay illegal. I mean, if you've ever seen Reefer Madness, you know it simply must be.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

I see his ex is still mad.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Totally Reasonable posted:

I see his ex is still mad.

Lol

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BiggerBoat posted:

FreudianSlippers posted:

If you are hooting and hollering in your office chair and it tips over and your sprain your wrist and claim short term disability they can try to deny your claim if you test for weed or even legally prescribed intoxicants or going as far as using you saying "wow my allergy meds are really hitting today."

Companies will insure the risk of the claim going through regardless. Actuaries find less risk on insuring legally prescribed pill heads than legally prescribed weed lords which means your insurance costs less.

Also some of it is somewhere between the owners, managers, and insurance actuaries, some of them just really dislike the thought of you doing a weed and doing a weed is nowhere near a protected status.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

haven't read the behemoth stuff but from other forum posts i understand that to be the understatement of the century

i really liked the first one a lot. the second one was really dismal in am almost misanthropic way and yah there was some uncomfortable sex stuff. less cokefueled Stephen King of sex stuff and just kind of dire. put me off of reading the third.

Blindsight was fantastic though. and i know Echpraxia is kind of divisove but i really enjoyed it

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Blindsight was literally the next book on my reading list when this came up and I was so mad that someone mentioned the vampire people and right angle stuff until I got like 3 pages into the book and realised it wasn't spoilers and just the opening bit where that gets dropped.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m honestly surprised it took this long for someone to make this joke. It’s so obvious in hindsight

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Is sitting here and being me not enough?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
There's a reason Arby's slogan is "We have the meats", and they don't specify on the type of meat.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

There's a reason Arby's slogan is "We have the meats", and they don't specify on the type of meat.

Top tier username though.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

whoda thunkit posted:

If this was the real reason for the name change then they would have changed the dinobot Cumdumpster's name a long time ago.

Not the only time they changed a name for the UK:

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Over-Run_(PCC)

He was originally named "Spastic".

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Or, if a sandwich seems too much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GUltDT6U-M

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

Despite fully knowing the context I still spent a confused minute having parsed this as Team Fortress wiki

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FFT posted:

And due to being scheduled as having "no valid medical use" there can't legally be any research into where or how that line should be drawn the way there has been for, say, alcohol and driving (which has its own issues, of course, since almost all of that research was done on early- to mid-20s white dudes last I checked)

There is some research but it's extremely sparse. You're not going to get federal funding for it obviously and no pharma companies are putting up money because it's not like the FDA is giving out INDs for weed. There is a little research going on where investigators are basically funding it all themselves, but even then institutions are reluctant to approve studies.

But how can the captcha prove that the person you harmed was actually a human and not just another robot????

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

quote:

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

gently caress me that was a dark lol. We would have had a field day with that as kids.

For what it's worth I don't recall us ever noticing that one was called Slag. Maybe it wasn't a word that common with kids at a time, or me and my mates were just thick.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Username/post dissonance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Simple solution is military 101 - The Enemy is not human