Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

My dog has a hard marble-sized lump on his shoulder one week after he got his DHPP/rabies vaccine at the site, should I be concerned? Keep an eye on it for a few weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cov-hog
Apr 13, 2013

Looks pregnant to me.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Broken Things posted:

Around 6 weeks ago my partner and I found a cat in our garage that was looking pretty mangy and underfed. After taking her to the vet to have her checked out we found that she wasn't chipped, and was a little underweight but otherwise completely healthy. We've had her wormed and gotten rid of her fleas.

Unfortunately we've not been able to find her owner, and we haven't found anyone looking for a cat of her description. The vet wasn't too helpful when we had the check-up as at first as he couldn't tell her sex, what breed of cat she could be, gave us an age range of 2 - 12, and couldn't tell if she'd been spayed. We're now thinking that she hasn't been!

After having her for a week or so:

Now 5 weeks after that picture:

We haven't had a second check-up with the vet as we were advised by a few local rescue centres to wait a month or so before taking ownership of the cat officially (we've planned to have her spayed and chipped) in case of the owner claiming her. Is there a chance this cat is pregnant? She's extremely affectionate and has been since we found her, and has put on an incredible amount of weight since we've taken her into our care despite not being overfed and getting plenty of exercise. We've kept her inside at all times as a precaution, and we will be seeing a vet within the week but we'd like some outside opinions on whether cat is full of kittens or just needs one hell of a diet!

Congrats on your kittens!! Gestation time is about 2.5 months so if in fact that's what's going on, it is likely she was early in pregnancy when you picked her up, she's lookin pretty big now. It's difficult to tell that early, and it's difficult to tell via palpating this late. Becoming MORE affectionate is a sign of pregnancy. Any vet will be able to quickly ultrasound or xray and tell you whether or not she is in fact. Also see if you can see her nipples through all the fur. They may have gotten bigger, lost some hair around them, they may even already be producing milk if you squeeze them. I think I can just barely see her nips through her fur and that means they're pretty swollen. I just went through this situation with my fostered pit bull mix, it was too late to do a gravid spay on her for most vets/too risky, if you wanted to still do a spay it might be an option rather than having to find homes for kittens when there's already so many at shelters. Get thee to a vet, talk thee to a local rescue afterwards if you're having the kittens, depending on what the vet/you decide which is morally the right choice for her/you.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 27, 2014

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

You guys have any opinions on Pet Supplies Plus? Any better or worse than PetCo and PetsMart? I'm toying with the idea of getting a second job, and I just found out they're putting one in right down the street, but I don't want to start there and find out it's a horrible place or something. I figured PI is filled with people who have worked pet retail so it couldn't hurt to ask.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
The one near me seems alright, not the best but not the worst. No birds larger than cockatiels, no overcrowding, no puppies or kittens, no saltwater fish, the most exotic things I've seen in there were some small Halloween crabs. The last time I was in there they were attempting to adopt out a pair of guinea pigs. The fish selection's always kinda bland and they could stand to learn how to diagnose ick sooner, but that might be an individual store thing. I haven't heard anything at all about the brand in general, but basic Google results tell me that they tend to pay minimum wage and attract unskilled labor as a result, hence the general lack of animal knowledge.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
My dog's tail is bald!

(Sorry about the second one, but it's genuinely the best picture I have that shows the difference between the top and bottom of his tail.)

I got custody of Vanya a few weeks ago. He's been living with my mother and stepfather for years, as I wasn't allowed to have him in my apartment, but then they broke up, her ex (an abusive arsehole) got the dog, and eventually I stole him and smuggled him illegally into my place. Now he's doing great! Anyway, that E/N is just to let you know the background - he's been constantly very stressed, fed a lovely diet and left alone for ~10-12 hours a day every day until very recently. We took him to the vet, who had no idea what could be wrong with his tail, so he said that it was probably stress and that Vanya may have been licking or chewing it compulsively until the hair fell out. However, he's really happy with me, definitely hasn't been touching the tail, has a much better diet and gets heaps of exercise and company - his other health problems have cleared up, and rest of his coat is soft and shiny now instead of dull and coarse like it was before - but he's still got that little bald tail.

As you can see, it's only bald on top. Underneath, the hair is as long as ever. There's no baldness anywhere else on his body and the initial hair loss hasn't spread. The skin there has a normal temperature, isn't flaking or cracked or dry, and it's not itchy or painful. He hasn't had fleas. The vet said that it's too localised to be mange or really any other sort of disorder he could think of that would cause hair loss. There's been absolutely no regrowth since Vanya came to stay with me. It's not bothering him or I, really, but could this really be caused by stress licking? If so, is the hair going to grow back? Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Whenever I pet my cat on the stomach she drools copiously. Like huge droplets getting all over everything. What the heck?!

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I just moved into a new apartment with my boyfriend who brought with him his 30lb un-neutered dachshund mix that has had no training whatsoever and was previously confined to a cage for 23 out of 24 hours a day. To be completely honest, I do not like this dog, at all. He barks constantly, drags things off counters, has gotten into the trash multiple times (I finally had to put it up on top of a stack of boxes where he can't reach it), pisses on the floor after long walks, and shits ALL OVER the floor when he's left out of his crate at night. On top of all of this, I brought my 14 year old cat (the dog is a new dog, not sure how old) along with me and I've been pressured into getting rid of the cat now because they don't get along and my boyfriend believes he is the expert on how my cat acts and behaves, saying the cat is fine when he's basically shoving the dog in the cat's face while my cat is hiding, literally trembling, and growling underneath the bed or wherever the loving dog has trapped him. I have to get rid of MY CAT because he won't do a drat thing about his dog.
I knew that he was barking when I or my boyfriend would leave, but I've hung outside of the house for a few minutes after walking out and after a while the dog would stop barking. There was a suspicion that the dog might start barking again after a while, and after an outing today my suspicions were confirmed when we found a note on our door from the upstairs neighbor that said, "I thought you should know, your dog barks constantly while you are gone." For me, this is one of the many final straws in the hat to get rid of the dog and get him to someplace where someone has the time and patience to take care of him. My boyfriend believes that he can "train the barking out of him", which I know can be done with dogs, but he hasn't bothered to train the dog out of his many other annoying habits, such as jumping, trying to steal food, getting on the couches, pissing/making GBS threads on the floor, etc. He also believes in the Cesar Milan method of training, despite all of the evidence against it.
The jumping is also an issue because my cancer-ridden mother came over the other day to visit, the dog jumped on her and scratched the poo poo out of her, which then got infected and she had to be hospitalized for it. Yeah.
He has more time home with the dog than I do. I work a second shift job so I'm gone a 3pm and don't return home until about midnight. Because of this an my own illness, I have to sleep most of the day or else I will not be able to function.
He claims to not want to get rid of the dog because at one point it was supposed to be his mother's dog, although a month after they got the dog, his mother passed away from cancer. There is an emotional attachment there and I understand but we just can't keep the dog. Sooner rather than later, it's going to come down to me, or the dog.

Please, PLEASE help me convince my boyfriend that the situation we have this dog in is not ideal and he needs to be taken somewhere where someone has time and energy for him.

copy of a fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 31, 2014

cailleask
May 6, 2007

copy of a posted:

I just moved into a new apartment with my boyfriend who brought with him his 30lb un-neutered dachshund mix that has had no training whatsoever and was previously confined to a cage for 23 out of 24 hours a day. To be completely honest, I do not like this dog, at all. He barks constantly, drags things off counters, has gotten into the trash multiple times (I finally had to put it up on top of a stack of boxes where he can't reach it), pisses on the floor after long walks, and shits ALL OVER the floor when he's left out of his crate at night. On top of all of this, I brought my 14 year old cat (the dog is a new dog, not sure how old) along with me and I've been pressured into getting rid of the cat now because they don't get along and my boyfriend believes he is the expert on how my cat acts and behaves, saying the cat is fine when he's basically shoving the dog in the cat's face while my cat is hiding, literally trembling, and growling underneath the bed or wherever the loving dog has trapped him. I have to get rid of MY CAT because he won't do a drat thing about his dog.
I knew that he was barking when I or my boyfriend would leave, but I've hung outside of the house for a few minutes after walking out and after a while the dog would stop barking. There was a suspicion that the dog might start barking again after a while, and after an outing today my suspicions were confirmed when we found a note on our door from the upstairs neighbor that said, "I thought you should know, your dog barks constantly while you are gone." For me, this is one of the many final straws in the hat to get rid of the dog and get him to someplace where someone has the time and patience to take care of him. My boyfriend believes that he can "train the barking out of him", which I know can be done with dogs, but he hasn't bothered to train the dog out of his many other annoying habits, such as jumping, trying to steal food, getting on the couches, pissing/making GBS threads on the floor, etc. He also believes in the Cesar Milan method of training, despite all of the evidence against it.
The jumping is also an issue because my cancer-ridden mother came over the other day to visit, the dog jumped on her and scratched the poo poo out of her, which then got infected and she had to be hospitalized for it. Yeah.
He has more time home with the dog than I do. I work a second shift job so I'm gone a 3pm and don't return home until about midnight. Because of this an my own illness, I have to sleep most of the day or else I will not be able to function.
He claims to not want to get rid of the dog because at one point it was supposed to be his mother's dog, although a month after they got the dog, his mother passed away from cancer. There is an emotional attachment there and I understand but we just can't keep the dog. Sooner rather than later, it's going to come down to me, or the dog.

Please, PLEASE help me convince my boyfriend that the situation we have this dog in is not ideal and he needs to be taken somewhere where someone has time and energy for him.

Keep the cat, ditch the boyfriend and the dog. They sound terrible and deserve each other. Seriously, they put your mom in the hospital! How can any boyfriend be worth that?

Red Priestess
May 17, 2014

cailleask posted:

Keep the cat, ditch the boyfriend and the dog. They sound terrible and deserve each other. Seriously, they put your mom in the hospital! How can any boyfriend be worth that?

I second this. Seriously, this sounds more like a rant about how lazy, selfish, and inconsiderate of a boyfriend you have.

cov-hog
Apr 13, 2013

copy of a posted:

Dump your boyfriend. Problem solved.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

cov-hog posted:

Dump your boyfriend. Problem solved.

Move on. Boyfriend as described has no redeeming qualities.

pomme
May 8, 2013
I live in a building with an elevator so I'm always running into other people and their dogs. The problem is that when my dog sees someone, he will let out 1-2 barks. This often startles people because he is quite large. He doesn't lunge - just barks. There is no pause with his barking, as soon as a noise is made or he sees them the bark is let out. I'm not sure if it's his way of greeting or what, but treats and distraction don't seem to be helping. Does anyone have a suggestions besides taking the stairs and avoiding the issue? He is six years old, neutered and generally well-rounded.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013

Avshalom posted:

It's not bothering him or I, really, but could this really be caused by stress licking? If so, is the hair going to grow back? Has anyone else ever had this happen?

I think it can be caused by stress licking. One of my dogs did that to his leg when I first got him, and it did take awhile to grow back even after he stopped doing it. Do you notice Vanya stress licking at all?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Abutiu posted:

I think it can be caused by stress licking. One of my dogs did that to his leg when I first got him, and it did take awhile to grow back even after he stopped doing it. Do you notice Vanya stress licking at all?
I don't, but hopefully he's a lot less stressed now than he was, so it could be that he was doing it before but stopped when he was out of that environment. He's got a vet appointment in three weeks (desexing :ohdear:) so if he doesn't have at least a healthy stubble going on by then, I'll ask again.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Vanya :3:

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

pomme posted:

I live in a building with an elevator so I'm always running into other people and their dogs. The problem is that when my dog sees someone, he will let out 1-2 barks. This often startles people because he is quite large. He doesn't lunge - just barks. There is no pause with his barking, as soon as a noise is made or he sees them bark is let out. I'm not sure if it's his way of greeting or what, but treats and distraction don't seem to be helping. Does anyone have a suggestions besides taking the stairs and avoiding the issue? He is six years old, neutered and generally well-rounded.

Have you tried distracting him while you're in the building and elevator? Bring a favorite toy or some training treats and work on sitting and looking at you. I find that talking to my dog in my high-pitched "it's ok, dog, it's ok" voice, really helps when we come upon something. The barking is a stress reaction, even if just for a moment, so letting him know you're there and keeping his attention will (hopefully) help get down the elevator without raising the dog's stress levels.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I know this probably gets asked every second page, but I'm panicking. Are two walks a day really enough? In total it comes to about 1.5 to 2 hours of walktime, and I make sure Vanya gets some off-leash wandering and sniffs butts with at least one other dog. It just seems like there's a hell of a lot of time in the interim for a dog to be cooped up inside. :ohdear: I'm in a one-room apartment so there's nowhere for him to go, we have a balcony that he has access to but he never uses it.

I make little obstacle courses for him, work on training (he's basically untrained so there's a lot to be done), play tug with him and snuggle, but when I'm not actively stimulating him he doesn't do anything. He spends that time curled up at my feet and staring at me, I don't know if that means he's bored or what. When I have to leave him alone for a few hours, which is every couple of days so I can go to class, he just sleeps the whole time. I have so much on my plate at the moment and most of what I've read says that what I'm doing is enough to keep a dog happy, but I just feel like he spends almost all day lying around and he must be bored.

(The dog is an almost-nine-year-old, very well-behaved JRT cross that I stole from a neglectful family member, if that helps)

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Avshalom posted:

I know this probably gets asked every second page, but I'm panicking. Are two walks a day really enough? In total it comes to about 1.5 to 2 hours of walktime, and I make sure Vanya gets some off-leash wandering and sniffs butts with at least one other dog. It just seems like there's a hell of a lot of time in the interim for a dog to be cooped up inside. :ohdear: I'm in a one-room apartment so there's nowhere for him to go, we have a balcony that he has access to but he never uses it.

I make little obstacle courses for him, work on training (he's basically untrained so there's a lot to be done), play tug with him and snuggle, but when I'm not actively stimulating him he doesn't do anything. He spends that time curled up at my feet and staring at me, I don't know if that means he's bored or what. When I have to leave him alone for a few hours, which is every couple of days so I can go to class, he just sleeps the whole time. I have so much on my plate at the moment and most of what I've read says that what I'm doing is enough to keep a dog happy, but I just feel like he spends almost all day lying around and he must be bored.

(The dog is an almost-nine-year-old, very well-behaved JRT cross that I stole from a neglectful family member, if that helps)

Sitting at your feet looking at you when you are not playing, and just sleeping when you are gone? Sounds like you're doing fine and got a dog that loves having you around :)
Seriously though if he's not destroying your house while you are gone he's probably happy ! I assume you have toys around for him if he is that bored, he probably just prefers you to toys.

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

Avshalom posted:

My dog's tail is bald!

It's not bothering him or I, really, but could this really be caused by stress licking? If so, is the hair going to grow back? Has anyone else ever had this happen?

If it's Acral Lick Granuloma (stress licking) the hair eventually does grow back as long as it's been treated properly and the licking stops. Generally Acral Lick is on one of the front limbs but it has been diagnosed on tails in rare occasions.

I know dogs tend to have their major growing and shedding cycles in the Spring & Fall so maybe you'll start to see some hair growth soon.

Depending on how the hair was lost to begin with can contribute as well; if the follicles were damages it's going to take longer. If the dog has a double coat it's going to take longer as well, there isn't a set timeline because it's dependent on how the hair was lost and the health of the dog.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Any one good and recognizing dog breeds? I went hiking last week and came upon this dog. Its owner was French so I couldn't find out what breed it was but it looks like a hound of some sort. Any clue?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

That's a Brittany Spaniel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittany_dog

They're probably the most energetic breed of dog you can find.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

a life less posted:

That's a Brittany Spaniel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittany_dog

They're probably the most energetic breed of dog you can find.

That was quick! Seems like it's a great breed to be a hiking companion too.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

torgeaux posted:

Move on. Boyfriend as described has no redeeming qualities.

I just don't want to have to move back in with my parents over this but he is still refusing to do anything with the dog and doesn't seem to care that I'm extremely upset over the cat. He says it's because I'm not technically getting rid of the cat since I'm just taking it back to my parents', but I've seen this cat each day for the past 14 years and he's my very best friend, my family, and a huge part of my life. He's not going to be there anymore. I can't do anything with this dog -- even if I wanted to (I absolutely hate the dog and find myself wishing harm upon the dog every. Single. Day.) -- because he's too high-strung and not trained.
He jumped on a stranger the other day during a walk. I can't even have my parents over because of this stupid dog.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You clearly know what you need to do. (Wo)man up and get to it.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Bovril Delight posted:

You clearly know what you need to do. (Wo)man up and get to it.

Kill the dog?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

copy of a posted:

I just don't want to have to move back in with my parents over this but he is still refusing to do anything with the dog and doesn't seem to care that I'm extremely upset over the cat. He says it's because I'm not technically getting rid of the cat since I'm just taking it back to my parents', but I've seen this cat each day for the past 14 years and he's my very best friend, my family, and a huge part of my life. He's not going to be there anymore. I can't do anything with this dog -- even if I wanted to (I absolutely hate the dog and find myself wishing harm upon the dog every. Single. Day.) -- because he's too high-strung and not trained.
He jumped on a stranger the other day during a walk. I can't even have my parents over because of this stupid dog.

Animal questions, not relationship. I say that because you don't have an animal issue, you have a lovely boyfriend issue. Bite the bullet, you know the answer.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Would you count a spider that's set up shop in your room as a pet if you occasionally feed it the flies that you catch around the house?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tinkerttoy posted:

Would you count a spider that's set up shop in your room as a pet if you occasionally feed it the flies that you catch around the house?

Hell yeah. Fred the spider set up above our patio door for months. He caught mosquitos, flies and gnats that got in. Fred was dope and we let him have a free pass.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

tinkerttoy posted:

Yes, spider friends are great. I used to have a guard spider who set up her web across my window. That way if anyone tried breaking in and climbing in through my window they would get a face full of golden orb weaver.

PS if your spider has a little spider friend she is probably a strong independent woman spider and the small one is Mr Spider. So you will have to call her Frederica or something rather than Fred and occasionally tip your hat to her *m'lady*

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I just assume all spiders are women spiders because I'm a misandrist.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

I want to go to a dog show that's coming up - South of England Pomeranian Club Championship Show. Do you normally have to be a club member to go to a show? Can anyone join these kind of clubs?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

killerwhat posted:

I want to go to a dog show that's coming up - South of England Pomeranian Club Championship Show. Do you normally have to be a club member to go to a show? Can anyone join these kind of clubs?

You can probably just show up. It might depend on the venue -- they may charge admission of some sort or have some weird rules, but most dog shows are open to the public around here. Try emailing the secretary and asking just to be certain. -snip-

Side note, dog shows seem pretty cheap where you are. I know the exchange rate explains some of it, but it's still a good 50% pricier to enter a dog around here. Interesting.

a life less fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 11, 2014

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Thanks! I think I'll just turn up and hope for the best. I emailed the secretary but I'm guessing dog ladies aren't great at checking their emails.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

killerwhat posted:

Thanks! I think I'll just turn up and hope for the best. I emailed the secretary but I'm guessing dog ladies aren't great at checking their emails.

It's kind of the job of the secretary to check her email. :P

However, her first priority is to her club and organizing entries. I'm hoping she'll be nice and take a moment to respond. If not, show up anyway! I'm 99% certain you can show up and enjoy the show.

Praxis19
Nov 4, 2009

No justice no peace ACAB
My wife and I adopted a wonderful senior greyhound a few months ago, and are absolutely in love with her, but we've been having a few issues/concerns lately. Firstly, she has some significant separation or isolation issues (most likely the latter). She's fine if we leave her with my mother for example, but pretty much any time she's left alone she causes some kind of trouble. It's usually of the pee/poop in the house variety, but it'll happen if we literally walk into the front yard for five minutes and come back. She's marking in my mother's bedroom, which is where our family jack russel spends all her time. She'll do it right in front of someone, and we've been cleaning the spots with Nature's Miracle, but no dice. Lastly, when we first got her, she was more comfortable in her crate than in the house proper, but now that she's acclimated she really doesn't like her crate. We've been working on crate training, and have been seeing some success. She'll go into the crate on command now and we're working up to leaving her in there for periods of time with lots of rewards and positive reinforcement. But we also have to leave her in the crate for a few hours maybe twice or thrice a week, and my wife's pretty sure she chews or claws at the crate when she's in there for a while. She won't eat treats when we leave her, drools constantly, whine and barks some and is ecstatic when we let her out.

We're kinda making a bit of progress in training in some respects, but also getting worse honestly in some. Neither of us have any real experience with dog training, and pretty soon we're going to be employed full time, so we're pretty worried about how to make that transition. We're wondering if we're at the point where some kind of professional evaluation or training would be a good idea, we've found a pretty great one in our area, but we wanted some PI advice before we go ahead. If this is the kind of thing we really should be able to take care of on our own, we can give it a more honest try, but we're not super optimistic on that prospect.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I made a "Tell me about service dogs" thread in A/T and in retrospect I might have gotten actual answers instead of questions if I'd posted it in this forum instead. If anyone has any knowledge on this subject I'd really appreciate if you'd pop over to A/T and help a goon out. :3:

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013

Doulos posted:

My wife and I adopted a wonderful senior greyhound a few months ago, and are absolutely in love with her, but we've been having a few issues/concerns lately. Firstly, she has some significant separation or isolation issues (most likely the latter). She's fine if we leave her with my mother for example, but pretty much any time she's left alone she causes some kind of trouble. It's usually of the pee/poop in the house variety, but it'll happen if we literally walk into the front yard for five minutes and come back. She's marking in my mother's bedroom, which is where our family jack russel spends all her time. She'll do it right in front of someone, and we've been cleaning the spots with Nature's Miracle, but no dice. Lastly, when we first got her, she was more comfortable in her crate than in the house proper, but now that she's acclimated she really doesn't like her crate. We've been working on crate training, and have been seeing some success. She'll go into the crate on command now and we're working up to leaving her in there for periods of time with lots of rewards and positive reinforcement. But we also have to leave her in the crate for a few hours maybe twice or thrice a week, and my wife's pretty sure she chews or claws at the crate when she's in there for a while. She won't eat treats when we leave her, drools constantly, whine and barks some and is ecstatic when we let her out.

We're kinda making a bit of progress in training in some respects, but also getting worse honestly in some. Neither of us have any real experience with dog training, and pretty soon we're going to be employed full time, so we're pretty worried about how to make that transition. We're wondering if we're at the point where some kind of professional evaluation or training would be a good idea, we've found a pretty great one in our area, but we wanted some PI advice before we go ahead. If this is the kind of thing we really should be able to take care of on our own, we can give it a more honest try, but we're not super optimistic on that prospect.

Separation anxiety can be a difficult thing to deal with, so I'd recommend going ahead and seeing a professional about it while you've still got a lot of flexibility in your schedules. I also see "I'll Be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell recommended a lot to help you get started.

edit: I was thinking about this and I just want to add that I think that "Should I see a trainer about this?" is kind of one of those questions where if you are asking, the answer is yes. Most people need help even with pretty basic obedience training, because it is learning a whole new skill set and dogs can be kind of counterintuitive for most people. I work with a trainer on stuff I know theoretically how to handle, but real life isn't always like the training books and even if it is, there are all sorts of subtle things regarding timing and body language that you might not even be aware that you're doing but are working against you. In short, working with a trainer is always a good idea and there's really not anything you should feel like you "should" be able to teach by yourself...if you can, you can, but if you are worried about it, go see a trainer.

Abutiu fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 21, 2014

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Today on my way to work I spotted a cat on the side of the road, where the curb meets the asphalt. Normally when it comes to animals on the side of the road, I avert my eyes and continue on but .. I noticed this cat was still alive. I pulled off the side of the road and tried to help him, but his back was broken and his back kegs paralyzed. I managed to get him into my car, all the while sobbing and screaming and trying to tell the poor kitten that everything would be okay.. For some reason my phone wouldn't call out, but thankfully a couple stopped and asked if I needed help and they called an animal hospital for me.
Unfortunately, his injuries were too severe. His gums were white, tongue was white, he was panting really hard.. and he died just minutes away from the vet. Even if he had made it, they would've ended up putting him down.. and if they could have helped him, I would've been stuck with the vet bills. I tried my best, but at least he passed wrapped up in a blanket instead of suffering on the side of the road.

He did go down fighting and managed to bite through my left index finger and scratched my right hand pretty bad. I went to the ER because my finger pretty quickly became swollen, and I had to go through the horribly painful process of getting a rabies shot since I had never had one before.
I am home now, and I am wondering if there are any precautions I need to take around my own cat. The kitten was a stray, so I know nothing about what kind of illnesses he might have had (they are testing it for rabies), but I'm worried I could've picked up something I might pass to my cat.
Should I be okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

copy of a posted:

Today on my way to work I spotted a cat on the side of the road, where the curb meets the asphalt. Normally when it comes to animals on the side of the road, I avert my eyes and continue on but .. I noticed this cat was still alive. I pulled off the side of the road and tried to help him, but his back was broken and his back kegs paralyzed. I managed to get him into my car, all the while sobbing and screaming and trying to tell the poor kitten that everything would be okay.. For some reason my phone wouldn't call out, but thankfully a couple stopped and asked if I needed help and they called an animal hospital for me.
Unfortunately, his injuries were too severe. His gums were white, tongue was white, he was panting really hard.. and he died just minutes away from the vet. Even if he had made it, they would've ended up putting him down.. and if they could have helped him, I would've been stuck with the vet bills. I tried my best, but at least he passed wrapped up in a blanket instead of suffering on the side of the road.

He did go down fighting and managed to bite through my left index finger and scratched my right hand pretty bad. I went to the ER because my finger pretty quickly became swollen, and I had to go through the horribly painful process of getting a rabies shot since I had never had one before.
I am home now, and I am wondering if there are any precautions I need to take around my own cat. The kitten was a stray, so I know nothing about what kind of illnesses he might have had (they are testing it for rabies), but I'm worried I could've picked up something I might pass to my cat.
Should I be okay?

I think if you wash up well, and don't let the cat near your bite, you should be ok. Maybe you can call your vet and ask? They'd probably know. Though I think if your cat is up to date on shots, you'll be ok.

Edit: Wash your clothes really well too. I'm pretty sure FelV is super contagious. Also, good job on pulling over and trying to help. At least the cat wasn't alone when they died.