Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Is there any good historicalish fiction from the point of view of pirates? Ideally something that does what the Aubrey-Maturin & a book like The Terror does for 19th century british navy but for those outside the law at sea, well researched and not Treasure Island-type. Any time period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lockback posted:

Is there any good historicalish fiction from the point of view of pirates? Ideally something that does what the Aubrey-Maturin & a book like The Terror does for 19th century british navy but for those outside the law at sea, well researched and not Treasure Island-type. Any time period.

https://www.amazon.com/Under-Black-Flag-Romance-Reality/dp/081297722X is Excellent but nonfiction, to the extent that pirate narrative can be nonfiction.

Tim Powers's _On Stranger Tides_ is great and inspired the Monkey Island Games and they drew from it for a pirates of the Caribbean movie but it has lots of magic elements (Tim Powers mostly writes historical fiction + magic)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Not what you asked for but The Verneys by Adrian Tinniswood is about a 17th century aristocrat who ran away to become a pirate - if you google the Verneys then there is a really big preview on google books.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Lockback posted:

The Baroque Cycle has some excellent vagabonding and pirating, I think one whole book is like half pirate story. They’re just one or two of the plot lines of the whole story though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lockback posted:

(Disclaimer: it is fairly well-researched but deliberately anachronistic.)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lockback posted:

You might also enjoy Empire of Blue Water by Stephen Talty. It’s nonfiction but really good!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
This thread rules

tuyop posted:

The Baroque Cycle has some excellent vagabonding and pirating, I think one whole book is like half pirate story. They’re just one or two of the plot lines of the whole story though.

This might be a winner, I knew about this on the periphery but given it was Neal Stephenson I assumed it was more fantasy/Sci-fi (which isn't bad, just not what I was looking for). Based on the reviews it seems well researched for the time period though.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Under-Black-Flag-Romance-Reality/dp/081297722X is Excellent but nonfiction, to the extent that pirate narrative can be nonfiction.

Tim Powers's _On Stranger Tides_ is great and inspired the Monkey Island Games and they drew from it for a pirates of the Caribbean movie but it has lots of magic elements (Tim Powers mostly writes historical fiction + magic)

Under the Black Flag is literally recommended by Patrick O'Brian, that also helps!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lockback posted:

You might want to check out Sabatini's Captain Blood.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
From a post on Facebook (not mine)

quote:

I am doing a reading challenge and one of the prompts is "A book that has inspired a common phrase or idiom". They give the example of 1984 and the term "Big Brother". I know there are many from Shakespeare, but I'm looking for something more recent. Any suggestions? I can't do Catch-22 because I've already read that. I thought of Sophie's Choice but I'd love more ideas!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m thinking Shakespeare. Break the ice is from taming of the shrew, Though this be madness, yet there is method in't. is from Hamlet.

Edit drat, failed to read.

Living of the fat of the land is from of mice and men.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

From a post on Facebook (not mine)

R.U.R.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm looking for some good "wilderness horror." Basically, short stories or novels that focus heavily on the menacing, mysterious, and belittling aspects of the wilderness. If they're at or near the level of "The Wendigo" and "The Willows" by Algernon Blackwood then that's basically what I'm after.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm looking for some good "wilderness horror." Basically, short stories or novels that focus heavily on the menacing, mysterious, and belittling aspects of the wilderness. If they're at or near the level of "The Wendigo" and "The Willows" by Algernon Blackwood then that's basically what I'm after.

Richard Gavin. Try At Fear's Altar or Sylvan Dread (though the latter isn't on Kindle).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Its probably not a perfect fit for what you're looking for, but The Terror pits the British Navy against the arctic winter with some mystical beast/evils of man mixed in. Excellent read in any case.

Selachian posted:

You might want to check out Sabatini's Captain Blood.

Literally free on Amazon, thanks!

Lockback fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 12, 2018

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Ornamented Death posted:

Richard Gavin. Try At Fear's Altar or Sylvan Dread (though the latter isn't on Kindle).

This looks right up my alley. Thanks.

Lockback posted:

Its probably not a perfect fit for what you're looking for, but The Terror pits the British Navy against the arctic winter with some mystical beast/evils of man mixed in. Excellent read in any case.

I've been meaning to read this so I can watch the AMC series. Thanks.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Hatchet Gary Paulsen - a young boy / teen gets stranded in the Canadian wilderness after a plane crash. It's more young adult, and does not have supernatural elements but it does hit the menacing / belittling buttons. Parts of it were terrifying to me when I read it as a teen / preteen (maybe because I spent time in the Rocky Mt. and could relate?) and it's short as well. Reminds me, I should read this to my kids but they might be a little young @ 7. They made a bad movie out if it, skip that.

The Terror is great, read that as well.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I've been meaning to read this so I can watch the AMC series. Thanks.

In the book the environment is definitely the biggest threat, so I do think it would scratch the itch you're looking for. The series is good too, although they shift things around (some for the better, some not). I'd DEFINITELY suggest reading the book first.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Have you read Blackwood's "The Man Whom The Trees Loved"? It's not as good as the two stories you mentioned in my opinion so maybe that's why you didn't include it.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
the terror blows like the winds to the east and is written by Dan Simmons, who is my enemy

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I have a 9 hour flight to Europe and a 17 hour flight back and I am looking for good book, podcast or lecture recommendations to load up on for the travel. I have posts out in the Mil Hist and Cold War thread covering that itch for me but I'm looking for some more sci-fi, trashy zombie recommendations, or fantasy.

I liked Grunts by Mary Gentle, I was into ASOIF for a bit, I liked the Black Company series, Dragonlance, Warhammer 40k, Vampires by John Steakly, Rendevouz with Rama, Culture series and A Call to Arms was really good.I'm into Space Opera too

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Waroduce posted:

I have a 9 hour flight to Europe and a 17 hour flight back and I am looking for good book, podcast or lecture recommendations to load up on for the travel. I have posts out in the Mil Hist and Cold War thread covering that itch for me but I'm looking for some more sci-fi, trashy zombie recommendations, or fantasy.

I liked Grunts by Mary Gentle, I was into ASOIF for a bit, I liked the Black Company series, Dragonlance, Warhammer 40k, Vampires by John Steakly, Rendevouz with Rama, Culture series and A Call to Arms was really good.I'm into Space Opera too

I'm gonna go out on a limb and because of the history and cold war stuff say _Declare_ by Tim Powers.

Cold war spy fiction as fantasy novel. Deeply researched.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

Did you read Aurora (Kim Stanley Robinson) or Children of Time (Adrian Tchaikovsky) yet? I'm like a broken record with that poo poo whenever SF comes up. Forever War by Joe Haldeman might scratch your military and SF novel itch though! I just think it's kind of a pale imitation of Starship Troopers, which you should absolutely read immediately if you haven't. There's also We Are Legion - We Are Bob by Dennis E. Taylor, which is fun.

Uprooted by Naomi Novik was the best fantasy novel I've read in a while, even though it's sort of YA(?).

Zone One is a zombie book but by Colson Whitehead who won a Pulitzer last year so it's very ~literary~. I like it a lot because it's really kind of about memory and displacement and grief.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I will second Uprooted. It's definitely indulgent fantasy. It's enjoyable but not like NOVEL OF OUR TIMES good.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

I will second Uprooted. It's definitely indulgent fantasy. It's enjoyable but not like NOVEL OF OUR TIMES good.

Yeah I think that’s a better way to put it.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The above recommendations look really good thank you

i'd like to add i really enjoyed The Descent by Jeff Long minus some of the hamfisted sexual stuff and would be super into anything similar

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Waroduce posted:

Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle! It's hella long, very readable, and is historical fiction with enough fantasy to make you go "wait". Very very good, and I found it to be more fun to read than Grunts, even though it's not a comedy.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

can anyone recommend a japanese novel set in the post-war era about coming to terms with the war, nationalism, historical memory and non-reconciliation? something like boll's billiards at half past nine or pavese's the moon and the bonfires but with imperial japan instead of nazi germany or fascist italy

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Radio Spiricom posted:

can anyone recommend a japanese novel set in the post-war era about coming to terms with the war, nationalism, historical memory and non-reconciliation? something like boll's billiards at half past nine or pavese's the moon and the bonfires but with imperial japan instead of nazi germany or fascist italy

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/07/magazine/the-day-the-emperor-spoke-in-a-human-voice.html

Kenzaburo Oe and Yukio Mishima take very different and interesting directions on the question, but its hard to point to a singular work as much as it is something that saturates the theme.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The new Secret Santa thread is up. Come and sign up to swap books with random people you don't know!

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I'm not a huge fan of steampunk or cyberpunk, but I do like the idea of alternate realities with such distinct aesthetics. Aside from those two, what are some good ______punk books? Is Hippypunk a thing? I'd prefer standalone novels to series if possible, and hopefully nothing too cringy like a lot of steampunk tends to be.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

cult member at airport posted:

I'm not a huge fan of steampunk or cyberpunk, but I do like the idea of alternate realities with such distinct aesthetics. Aside from those two, what are some good ______punk books? Is Hippypunk a thing? I'd prefer standalone novels to series if possible, and hopefully nothing too cringy like a lot of steampunk tends to be.

Liz Williams' Empire of Souls isn't punk but it has a very distinct aesthetic and is a cool sci-fi.

Synners by Pat Cadigan is purebred cyberpunk and it's a ride.

Both are standalone and should be pretty cheap, unlike this book: Red Spider, White Web by Misha. Excellent weird cyberpunk, but you're going to have to buy it from its original publisher if you want to pay less than 40$ for it.

SecureUmbra
Apr 6, 2016

tuyop posted:

Did you read Aurora (Kim Stanley Robinson) or Children of Time (Adrian Tchaikovsky) yet? I'm like a broken record with that poo poo whenever SF comes up. Forever War by Joe Haldeman might scratch your military and SF novel itch though! I just think it's kind of a pale imitation of Starship Troopers, which you should absolutely read immediately if you haven't. There's also We Are Legion - We Are Bob by Dennis E. Taylor, which is fun.

Uprooted by Naomi Novik was the best fantasy novel I've read in a while, even though it's sort of YA(?).

Zone One is a zombie book but by Colson Whitehead who won a Pulitzer last year so it's very ~literary~. I like it a lot because it's really kind of about memory and displacement and grief.

Yea, Aurora was good but I really enjoyed Children of Time, that one was kickass. I just finished Seveneves which wasn’t bad.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I used to read a whole lot of science fiction and fantasy, but I've fallen out of reading in general in the past few years. After being given a copy of Kindred by Octavia E. Butler and devouring it in a morning/afternoon, I want to get into my old habits. Anyone got suggestions for books in line with the favourites I'm going to list, either new or old?

Fantasy:
obviously Discworld (Terry Pratchett)
Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan)
most books by Robin Hobb, especially the Liveship Traders
most books by Tad Williams
Abhorsen trilogy (Garth Nix)

Science Fiction:
Hyperion/Endymion (Dan Simmons)
Ancillary trilogy (Ann Leckie)
Mortal Engines series (Phillip Reeve)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

I used to read a whole lot of science fiction and fantasy, but I've fallen out of reading in general in the past few years. After being given a copy of Kindred by Octavia E. Butler and devouring it in a morning/afternoon, I want to get into my old habits. Anyone got suggestions for books in line with the favourites I'm going to list, either new or old?

Fantasy:
obviously Discworld (Terry Pratchett)
Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan)
most books by Robin Hobb, especially the Liveship Traders
most books by Tad Williams
Abhorsen trilogy (Garth Nix)

Science Fiction:
Hyperion/Endymion (Dan Simmons)
Ancillary trilogy (Ann Leckie)
Mortal Engines series (Phillip Reeve)

To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts comes to mind for your fantasy tastes. Have you read Watership Down?

As for sci-fi, Ninefox Gambit comes to mind since you like Ann Leckie.

What about these books did you like?

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

Radio Spiricom posted:

Seconding the Kenzaburo Oe rec above. The short story collection Teach Us to Outgrow Our Madness is wonderful, particularly the story "He Himself Shall Wipe My Tears Away," which deals with emperor worship toward the end of the war and its poisonous effects. Check out his early story "Lavish are the Dead" as well. The Silent Cry is often considered his best novel, at least of the ones translated into English so far, and it is a very strange and complex book that obliquely covers a lot of post-war neuroses and trauma.

Though it's an English novel rather than a Japanese novel, Kazuo Ishiguro's An Artist of the Floating World is also very good. It is about an old artist in post-war Japan trying to come to terms with the fact that he abetted fascism and that this makes his legacy very complicated and precarious.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Those of you who have seen The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, what writers are the stories in the movie meant to evoke? The prose we see gives me a general turn of the 20th century feel, and I like it a lot. Some of the stories are sort of Mark Twain/Ambrose Bierce shaggy dog stories, but who else should I be looking at?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

pospysyl posted:

Those of you who have seen The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, what writers are the stories in the movie meant to evoke? The prose we see gives me a general turn of the 20th century feel, and I like it a lot. Some of the stories are sort of Mark Twain/Ambrose Bierce shaggy dog stories, but who else should I be looking at?

It's been brought up in various CineD threads:

Jack London
Elmore Leonard's Western Short Stories
Carson McCullers
Flannery O'Connor

There's plenty of others, though.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Read dead redemption 2

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I just finished reading Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries by Kory Stamper and I'm looking for something similar.

What I liked about this book: interesting history of a profession I didn't know too much about. Just the right amount of humor, personal experience, and facts about the process of writing a dictionary.

I'm looking for other books that have a similar writing style, doesn't have to be about lexicography although I am interested in words/language more than, say, math or numbers. I'm not looking for a biography or memoir so much as an informational text written from a personal perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I just finished reading Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries by Kory Stamper and I'm looking for something similar.

What I liked about this book: interesting history of a profession I didn't know too much about. Just the right amount of humor, personal experience, and facts about the process of writing a dictionary.

I'm looking for other books that have a similar writing style, doesn't have to be about lexicography although I am interested in words/language more than, say, math or numbers. I'm not looking for a biography or memoir so much as an informational text written from a personal perspective.

What immediately comes to my mind is The Library Book by Susan Orlean. It's about the Los Angeles Public Library, and although it's being sold as the book that solves the mystery of the 1986 fire, that's really just a focal point to talk about the bureaucratic processes of the library. It's a work of journalism, not personal experience, but the subject matter is pretty similar to Word by Word and it mixes procedural descriptions and anecdotes.