Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Proc posted:

I read a book about it called One Point Safe from the dollar general bargain bin so it's probably being given away on amazon.

1. Was it good?
2. I'm not sure I can take the book seriously, the author's name is clearly a pseudonym Leslie Cockburn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

david_a posted:

I wonder what the Sopwith pilot's life insurance premiums are like.

Not too expensive, you only need it for a few minutes.

Unless you're properly trained, of course..

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

movax posted:

I dig the hell out of this, that's awesome.

The AMU at Nellis that maintains the Aggressor F-15s (which still haven't gone away...I thought they were getting BRAC'd a year or two ago) is called Flanker AMU. AGRS in general adopt "threat" country stuff pretty hard-core, well beyond minor things like exhaust covers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I was looking up the Aggressors a few days ago and was surprised to see both Nellis squadrons still active. I thought they were going away too. Hopefully that was reversed.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

I was looking up the Aggressors a few days ago and was surprised to see both Nellis squadrons still active. I thought they were going away too. Hopefully that was reversed.

Yeah the ATG is still pretty robust, both AGRS, the Space Aggressors, Air Defense Aggressors and a few others I think...maybe something good came out of WEPTAC a year or two ago.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I once met an Army Chaplin assigned to some OPFOR or other (Fort Polk?) who was referred to as the "political officer" and wore a KGB uniform. Might have been a GRU outfit, I forget the specifics.

Also gently caress Ft. Polk.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
There's a private company called ATAC that does aggressor training with the Air Force and Air National Guard:

A4 Skyhawk, IAI Kfir, Hawker Hunter.

Navy E-2 with a trio of Kfirs.

I really adore the Skyhawk. It was popular as an aggressor plane (as seen in "Top Gun") because it was small and agile like the MiG-17 and MiG-21. I imagine the Kfir was probably used for the same reason. The big whale hump behind the cockpit is one way to distinguish a newer A4 from an older one; the hump is home to a bunch of advanced avionics that weren't on the original plane.

I didn't realize until this post just how many ATAC pictures I have on my hard drive. It makes sense, though: I like the Kfir and the Skyhawk, so any new and high-res photos of those two planes are probably going to be of the ATAC specimens.

TheNakedJimbo fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 28, 2014

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

david_a posted:

Can somebody explain jet <-> missile compatibility to a layman like me? For instance, in the above article they mention that it would have cost a lot of money to upgrade the F-14 to handle newer missiles. The F-106 was apparently also saddled with mediocre missiles that held it back. I'm guessing a "missile system" is a lot more than just a goodie-filled tube with fins on it?

In the case of the 106 there were a couple factors. The jet was designed with vacuum tube based electronics. A modernization program was underway to create all new solid state hardware. This hit a couple stumbling blocks, some less obvious ones were weight and balance challenges due to the new components. This program started shortly before the F-4 IOC. Basically the AF said gently caress that and put the money into other programs. This is the rough story I was told by my dad who worked on the program.

Tremblay fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 28, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've seen ATAC stage out of Elmendorf during Red Flag. I was absolutely puzzled why a Skyhawk was on the flight line.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm more impressed by the Hawker Hunter. Though I guess with some really late retirements of those by Switzerland and some other countries it's not as implausible as it seems.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Did the Soviets have anything similar to the Aggressor program/squadrons? I recall reading... something about that way back.

I imagine they might not have gotten their hands on any teen series aircraft, but whatever they could nab from say Vietnam should have been fair game right? Thinking F-5s, F-100, maybe a F-4 or a couple?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Pimpmust posted:

Did the Soviets have anything similar to the Aggressor program/squadrons? I recall reading... something about that way back.

I imagine they might not have gotten their hands on any teen series aircraft, but whatever they could nab from say Vietnam should have been fair game right? Thinking F-5s, F-100, maybe a F-4 or a couple?

I imagine even if they could have / did, I don't know if they had the political climate (not to mention infrastructure) to try and operate a robust aggressor program using foreign jets. Would be really interested to hear about what kind of DACT (if any) was done on the Soviet side though; they certainly flew enough airframes to supply the dissimilar part.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The idea of the Russians operating an F-15 is blowing my mind.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Pimpmust posted:

I did read once that they got an F-14 - an Iranian defector.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

StandardVC10 posted:

I did read once that they got an F-14 - an Iranian defector.

Whoa. Pre or post-revolution?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In the GiP idiots thread somebody mentioned finding a couple going at it inside the intake of an F-14.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have no problem believing most pieces of military hardware have had boning go on in, on or under them.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
I wonder if Take My Breath Away by Berlin was playing.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Arglebargle III posted:

In the GiP idiots thread somebody mentioned finding a couple going at it inside the intake of an F-14.

I've found a couple in medias res under the exhausts of a display piece CF-101.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I know people have hosed in the AWACS.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
nevermind

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 28, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

holocaust bloopers posted:

Ew on every level.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Fearless posted:

I've found a couple in medias res under the exhausts of a display piece CF-101.

I think you mean in flagrante delicto, unless they were telling each other a story.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

Ew on every level.

Bunks, lavatory, both lower lobes. Yea, man.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Has anyone ever hosed on top of the radar dome?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Insane Totoro posted:

Not that I'm aware of.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Insane Totoro posted:

Don't even need birth control

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's a lower lobe? Does an AWACS only get it after 40?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Arglebargle III posted:

What's a lower lobe? Does an AWACS only get it after 40?

On a civilian airliner a lobe is where the baggage goes and where equipment is stored. On the AWACS, both compartments -- front and rear -- are stuffed full of gear.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Insane Totoro posted:

Now THAT would be a story.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's probably a little difficult to do in-flight, unlike the rest of them.

On the other hand, when there's a will, there's a way...

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'd doubt it. The stands used to access the dome are only pushed to the jet when there's work to be done within the dome itself. Doesn't happen regularly.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Did a little googling and found this blog post about a Soviet Aggressor program:
http://thelexicans.wordpress.com/2013/08/12/soviet-aggressor-program/

Got some cool picks in there with markings and stuff.

quote:

Due to very poor showing of Soviet built aircraft in the 1967 Arab-Israeli War, the Soviet Union began a program generally known with the Soviet Air Force as The Center for Flight Personnel. The Center was located in Turkmenistan at an airbase called Maryy-1 (Maryy is pronounced “Marie).

Located at this base is a unit known as the 1521st Airbase unit. The 1521st consisted of 3 squadrons, 2 that would be considered “aggressor” units both flying the MiG-29 and an additional unit that operated the La-17 drone for target practice for the visiting Soviet Air Force units.

The squadrons of the 1521st was formed in 1974 and flew the MiG-21bis. Pilots for these squadrons contained a higher number of highly experienced pilots (distinctions of combat pilot experience in Soviet forces at the time were known as “First Class” and “Sniper” level pilots). These units had a higher proportion of these highly experienced pilot when compared to regular Soviet Air Force units.

quote:

Generally, the syllabus used by the units at Maryy-1 consisted of 5 parts:

-assessment of individual pilot skills.

-low level flying over the area’s featureless terrain for aircrew familiarization.

-ACM and QRA performance assessment.

-tactical excerises involving multiple aircraft.

-live missile launch and gunnery.

It should be noted that the Soviet Air Force had no TACTS system with which to provide real-time monitoring of aircraft involved in ACM (such as that used by the USAF and US Navy). All training was monitored in real time over the radio using a GCI from the 1521st and another controller from the visiting unit.

Soviet Air Force regiments’ results reflected on it’s graded readiness level and as expected getting a perfect score in the evaluation was very difficult.

quote:

The 1st Squadron of the 1521st initially flew the MiG-21bis and then the MiG-29 Fulcrum-C. The tips of the horizontal stabilator and the wingtips were painted yellow, with a black outline, to make the aircraft look like the F-15 Eagle. To keep up that appearance, angled black converging in a black and yellow chevron were applied aft of the cockpit. Sharkmouth markings were also added to aircraft based on ground crew preference.

And this post got some info on actual western planes in the Soviet Union, mostly planes-in-pieces that they picked up and like, glued together:
http://thelexicans.wordpress.com/2013/07/30/western-aircraft-in-the-ussr/

quote:

This is a photo of what may be an F-4 Phantom and a Mirage III (with an 3M bomber in the foreground) taken at the Zhukovskiy airfield outside of Moscow. The caption dates the photo 11 August 1971.

quote:

This is a fuselage from a Northrop F-5. This is probably one of the 2 Skoshi Tiger aircraft formerly operated by the Air Force of South Vietnam. This is 1 of 2 F-5s transferred to Soviet soon after the Communist North invaded in 1973.

quote:

This is an escape capsule from an F-111 that was shot down over North Vietnam. The USAF lost 6 of these aircraft during the Vietnam.

quote:

This is a piece from an A-7A from VA-82 Marauders.

quote:

This is the vertical stabilizer from Scott O’Grady’s F-16C shot down over Bosnia in 1995.

Also a link to this video of a F-5 being test-flown by the soviets (and a A-37 Dragonfly):
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e52_1320882209

quote:

With the capture of the huge air base at Bien Hoa, the heroes of the North Vietnamese Armed forces were able to supply the Soviet, Chinese, & Polish air forces a number of US designs for evaluation. This F5 and two others were tested extensively at Chkalov State Flight Tests Centre, which is similar in operation to US Edwards AFB AFFTC, or the Tonopah Test Range.The F5 outperformed the MiG-21, and these results drove the development of the MiG-23.Pilots who were assigned to the F-5E, were Vladimir Kandaurov, Alexander Bezhevets and Nikolay Stogov.The F5 was of particular importance due to it’s export demand.

Here's a link in Russian (with pictures) of that pseudo Topgun program:
http://www.airforce.ru/awm/agressor/index.htm

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 28, 2014

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Pimpmust posted:

Must have been difficult when both sides were Red Team. ;)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Whoa. Pre or post-revolution?

The book I read this in (F-14 Tomcat in Action by Squadron-Signal Publications) says only "during the Iran/Iraq war" so I guess post-revolution.

edit: Note however that another source says "no records exist" of an Iranian defection to the Soviet Union of this nature.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 28, 2014

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

The book I read this in (F-14 Tomcat in Action by Squadron-Signal Publications) says only "during the Iran/Iraq war" so I guess post-revolution.

edit: Note however that another source says "no records exist" of an Iranian defection to the Soviet Union of this nature.

They may have been confusing it with the Iranian F-14 pilot who defected to Iraq.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This seems relevant:

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Nebakenezzer posted:

This seems relevant:

1,000,000 FLYING-WHORES

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Dietrich posted:

I think you mean in flagrante delicto, unless they were telling each other a story.

What passes for post-coitus pillow talk on a cement slab afterwards, so I feel my Latin is accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

TheNakedJimbo posted:

I really adore the Skyhawk. It was popular as an aggressor plane (as seen in "Top Gun") because it was small and agile like the MiG-17 and MiG-21

I really need a Chuck Yeagers Air Combat II.

There I was... In an F-14... At 5,000 feet... Head to Head... With 4... MiG-21s...