Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Wait what! Another effing Portland event?! Do you people ever, like, just have regular non-event days where you drink beer for no particular reason?

Ya, we call that Tuesday. Seriously, sometimes it feels like this city just says, "gently caress it, let's get together to drink and call it a festival." By sometimes, I mean almost every weekend.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Also is it worth traveling over there for this Portland Beer Week? ...oh god I guess I'll have to because my beloved Backcountry Brewery in Frisco, CO is gonna be at at the Belmont Station 6/14 :woop:

Portland Beer week has some of my favorite festivals of the year, particularly the Fruit Beer Festival and the Beer and Cheese Festival. There are also plenty of odd, fun events like the Beer + Boobs StripCrawl Tour, the Hopworks Pinball Tournament, the Beer & Sandwich Fest, the George Jones Tribute Beer Fest, and the Ninkasi Video Game Challenge.

The answer to your question is yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Anyone in Chicagoland looking for love child #3 Sal's on st Charles just west of 83 had like 8 bottles. I didn't look around in the city so I'm not sure if that's abnormal.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Any tips on good bottle shops in or near Bloomfield, NJ? (bit north of Newark) I've got a friend up there who's asking, since she'd like to try and find some better stuff.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Podima posted:

Any tips on good bottle shops in or near Bloomfield, NJ? (bit north of Newark) I've got a friend up there who's asking, since she'd like to try and find some better stuff.

The Bottle King in Bloomfield just upped their craft beer section. Keep it secret though, they get a normal Bottle King's allocation of rare stuff but that area doesn't seem to buy fancy things.

E:I used to live there. Unfortunately I also worked in another town with a Gary's location, another great North Jersey mini-chain, so I didn't have much of a need to explore Montclair shops.

Jahoodie fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 26, 2013

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Podima posted:

A quick Google search implies that Amanti Vino in Montclair is the best bet. I'd wait for a local to chime in to be sure though.

e: hey look, a local!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I thought I may had just been drunk visiting the brewery months back but I picked up some Karbach Barn Burner while I was in Texas again and I'm now convinced they are the sort of brewery to nail styles without standing out. A Texan Lagunitas I guess.

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down
Had some friends over and popped bottles of revolution repo man and finch's pig in the wood. Both beers were smoky and complex, repo man had a roasty rye backbone that worked really well, but the finch's was the real standout. I was already a big fan of fascist pig, but the barrel aging really brought out a smooth whiskey character that accented the beer incredibly well. I know finch's doesn't get the prestige of other new Chicago breweries, but this beer seriously amazed me.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

edit

Hauki fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 28, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

No Cricket Hill love? :v:

Not sure if joking but they've put out almost nothing worth buying from my experiences. Even their reserve series is not worth touching. It's a real shame Carton doesn't bottle yet, though I could send you a growler...

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

No Cricket Hill love? :v:

As a homebrewer that has pipedreams about opening a brewpub/brewery at some point, Cricket Hill gives me hope, since apparently one can make a profit off of Mr. Beer-quality beverages.

Seriously, Cricket Hill blows so hard. I don't know if it's inferior quality grains or bad water, but something is just off about most/all of their products.

If you're looking for good NJ bottled beer, you gotta go with River Horse or Flying Fish (though I'm sure most people already know that). Or like Midorka suggested, get a growler fill from someone like Carton or one of the brewpubs in the area (Krogh's in Sparta is pretty decent stuff).

czechshaun
Dec 13, 2004
en trance

BriceFxP posted:

Tell me where ... I love lots of taps.

I spend more time than is probably healthy at The Flying Saucer in Addison, I'm currently working on my second plate.

Its in San Marcos, Irish bar called Sean Patrick's. Lots of Texas craft beers and some others from around the world. Good food too.

We are also working on brewing some beers in house as well.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

BodyMassageMachine posted:

As a homebrewer that has pipedreams about opening a brewpub/brewery at some point, Cricket Hill gives me hope, since apparently one can make a profit off of Mr. Beer-quality beverages.

Seriously, Cricket Hill blows so hard. I don't know if it's inferior quality grains or bad water, but something is just off about most/all of their products.

If you're looking for good NJ bottled beer, you gotta go with River Horse or Flying Fish (though I'm sure most people already know that). Or like Midorka suggested, get a growler fill from someone like Carton or one of the brewpubs in the area (Krogh's in Sparta is pretty decent stuff).

Flying Fish is really on point with their Exit series, but their year round borders from crap to great. Hopfish and Red Fish are the standouts, but their Abbey Dubbel and Extra Pale Ale stink. Their seasonals kind of suck too, their Farmhouse is one of the only beers I've ever sent back at a bar. I don't know why some of their beers are good and some suck, it's a mystery.

River Horse is hit or miss, their Belgians are very inconsistent, I've had their Tripel and it was great and another time an estery mess. I love their Oatmeal Milk Stout though, but it's price means I won't ever buy it over Left Hands.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Apparently one of the brewers from Flying Fish is going to be opening up a brewery here in Tampa?

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog

czechshaun posted:

Its in San Marcos, Irish bar called Sean Patrick's. Lots of Texas craft beers and some others from around the world. Good food too.

We are also working on brewing some beers in house as well.

Thanks for the heads up. I do not get down to San Marcos much any longer as my delivery routing is mostly in East Texas now, but I will definitely put it on my notes list to check out the next time I deliver down there. Otherwise, I might have to take a road trip that way.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Visited some friends on the eastern shore this weekend. Stayed in Salisbury on Friday night so of course we had to to hit up Evolution. I have never been to a brewery where more than half of the customers are drinking Miller Lite. Good job, Delmarva. You do us all proud.

Anyway, got to try a few of their offerings that I've never seen: Prelude Gold, Prelude Black, and Menagerie No 8. I could drink Black all night. That beer is drat delicious. Menagerie starts off kinda boring but it really develops. Some great flavors started showing about halfway through the bottle. I'm not sure about the Gold. It should probably be served in a snifter but the restaurant we were in (before heading to evolution) served it in a pint glass, which was just way too much. And then our waitress accidentally poured me another one even though I didn't order it (no charge at least). I'd like to give it another shot because I think I was just sick of it by the end of the second pint. I meant to pick up a Menagerie and nouveau Rouge on my way out but forgot. I did take a growler of Rise Up home with me, which is just about perfect. So much coffee. They need to BA that beer again because it was drat delicious when they did it a few years ago.

If you haven't been to Evolution you need to go. It's surprisingly good.

We stopped at DFH on the way home this afternoon. They have a kvass on tap right now that's pretty drat good; tastes like lemon, nutmeg and wheat. Super refreshing and only 2%. I didn't really like any of their other draft room offerings. But that place is always worth a stop just because the menu is so good. It's the best food in any brewery I've ever been to.

All in all this was a successful weekend. Kinda bummed we never made it out to Burley Oak, but I'll be down there a lot this summer. It will happen eventually.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Visited some friends on the eastern shore this weekend. Stayed in Salisbury on Friday night so of course we had to to hit up Evolution. I have never been to a brewery where more than half of the customers are drinking Miller Lite. Good job, Delmarva. You do us all proud.

how often does this happen? i mean, if you're a little brewpub with two in-house beers that people mostly visit for food, okay, fine have some other taps, but when you're a full-scale production brewery, it just seems counter-intuitive. i know CCB (and others, i'm sure) does a guest tap or two, but i don't think they're generally the reason people show up.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

If you haven't been to Evolution you need to go. It's surprisingly good.

We stopped at DFH on the way home this afternoon. They have a kvass on tap right now that's pretty drat good; tastes like lemon, nutmeg and wheat. Super refreshing and only 2%. I didn't really like any of their other draft room offerings. But that place is always worth a stop just because the menu is so good. It's the best food in any brewery I've ever been to.

My friends and I have been getting a beach house in Ocean City for a week during the summer for at least the past decade or so. Evolution started showing up in some local bars there and I'd get it because hey, craft beer, but it never did anything for me. But then recently it seems like they've been expanding their distribution and upping their game because I had some IPA they did on tap at Pinocchio's and it was pretty damned good.

If yous topped at DFH, you better have picked up some of the peanut butter vodka. It's pretty amazing. If you like peanut butter.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Phanatic posted:

My friends and I have been getting a beach house in Ocean City for a week during the summer for at least the past decade or so. Evolution started showing up in some local bars there and I'd get it because hey, craft beer, but it never did anything for me. But then recently it seems like they've been expanding their distribution and upping their game because I had some IPA they did on tap at Pinocchio's and it was pretty damned good.

If yous topped at DFH, you better have picked up some of the peanut butter vodka. It's pretty amazing. If you like peanut butter.

The spirits they make are actually pretty awesome. The brown sugar rum is loving awesome, and so is that peanut butter vodka. Buy some grape jello and use it to make jello shots and you can actually create a peanut butter and jelly shot that tastes exactly like that. Hell, you could spread it on bread and eat it. Then get drunk. So basically the perfect sandwich.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Phanatic posted:

I am pretty happy anytime I can run across fresh Lots 3 or 6, and the Lucky 7 porter is nice enough in its own right. Some of the Menagerie stuff is good, and I liked Morning Wood. When I had it, Rise Up (maybe on cask?) was one of those gross 100% carbonated coffee messes. Mostly, though, solid brewery.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

swickles posted:

The spirits they make are actually pretty awesome. The brown sugar rum is loving awesome, and so is that peanut butter vodka. Buy some grape jello and use it to make jello shots and you can actually create a peanut butter and jelly shot that tastes exactly like that. Hell, you could spread it on bread and eat it. Then get drunk. So basically the perfect sandwich.

Wow, the absolute best idea I've ever heard in my life. I can now get drunk while eating. Two birds with one stone! I'm going to try this!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

ChickenArise posted:

When I had it, Rise Up (maybe on cask?) was one of those gross 100% carbonated coffee messes.

It does pack a ton of coffee, but that's what they were going for. Rise Up Stout is a collaboration between Evolution and Rise Up Coffee Roasters. I think it's very good. There's a lot of coffee up front but it's got other good stuff going on. I also like that it's incredibly dry. I've never thought it was overly carbonated though. Maybe give it another shot sometime.

funkybottoms posted:

how often does this happen? i mean, if you're a little brewpub with two in-house beers that people mostly visit for food, okay, fine have some other taps, but when you're a full-scale production brewery, it just seems counter-intuitive. i know CCB (and others, i'm sure) does a guest tap or two, but i don't think they're generally the reason people show up.

In this particular instance it's because of the location. Salisbury MD is a shithole populated by nascar loving rednecks who aren't willing to try new things. There is a devoted art scene that is pushing hard to change that, but it's a slow process. Opening a bar or restaurant without cans of Macro Lite is committing business suicide. I guess the hope is that once you get them coming back maybe they'll try one of the house beers.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 27, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

HatfulOfHollow posted:

In this particular instance it's because of the location. Salisbury MD is a shithole populated by nascar loving rednecks who aren't willing to try new things. There is a devoted art scene that is pushing hard to change that, but it's a slow process. Opening a bar or restaurant without cans of Macro Lite is committing business suicide. I guess the hope is that once you get them coming back maybe they'll try one of the house beers.

Iron Hill brews a light beer for these types of people. gently caress if I'd ever bother catering to that crowd though as they aren't the market I would want to appeal to anyway. I get it, it's a smart business move on their part since they are a mid priced restaurant and it allows them to pack the place they probably couldn't if they didn't have a light beer. I really do get it, but gently caress if I'd ever brew a beer that I wasn't proud to give to people. I would want people to come for the beer first and food second. Come because you appreciate beer.

If I ever opened a brewpub I'd brew a witbier, a citra pale ale, an oatmeal milk stout, a brown ale and a saison for my house beers. That would allow for a decent amount of pairing with food as well as a good diversity of styles to appeal to others. Saisons and witbiers are excellent beers for those who don't like beer I've found and I think if more brewpubs put them on their house list then they wouldn't have to have a compromised "crowd pleaser."

On another note, my friend is in California now from New Jersey. He is in LA right now and I want to know what are some beers he should be on the look out to bring home for me? He's also going up to Washington.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 27, 2013

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

HatfulOfHollow posted:

When Foothills Brewing opened in Winston (what, 13 years ago now?), they had bottles of Bud, etc... available because of that very reason. And I guess it worked, because they dropped serving any beer but their own about 8 years ago.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

SoCal goons, is Red Poppy or Cuvee de Tomme available on shelves anywhere in the Anaheim area? I have a friend out there this week and he's looking for it for me.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Captain Shortbus posted:

SoCal goons, is Red Poppy or Cuvee de Tomme available on shelves anywhere in the Anaheim area? I have a friend out there this week and he's looking for it for me.

This year's Cuvee de Tomme didn't make it to Orange County, and I haven't seen any Red Poppy in a few months. Not sure how far he's willing to drive, but his best bet to pick up anything good will be at Hi-Time in Costa Mesa or Whole Foods at Fashion Island in Newport Beach. Hacienda Beverage in Brea is usually decent as well, although they will sell out much faster than Hi-Time or Whole Foods Newport.

If you have any questions about what's on shelves or good local breweries who bottle, feel free to send me a PM and I will gladly run it down for you.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zam posted:

This year's Cuvee de Tomme didn't make it to Orange County, and I haven't seen any Red Poppy in a few months. Not sure how far he's willing to drive, but his best bet to pick up anything good will be at Hi-Time in Costa Mesa or Whole Foods at Fashion Island in Newport Beach. Hacienda Beverage in Brea is usually decent as well, although they will sell out much faster than Hi-Time or Whole Foods Newport.

If you have any questions about what's on shelves or good local breweries who bottle, feel free to send me a PM and I will gladly run it down for you.

I never saw Cuvée de Tomme anywhere but at Lost Abbey itself.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I had some disposable income and a ride to the biggest beer selection in town yesterday, and I picked up some stuff I had never tried before, based on a mix of untappd reviews and what looked interesting:

So far I've had the Monk's Cafe Sour, the Fred, and the Gulden Draak. I really liked all of them, but the Fred was a particular standout. I absolutely loved it. The only problem I had with any of them was that the sour wasn't very sour; I would have liked a little more.

Edit: sorry for the image size. Didn't realize how big it was before I uploaded.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.

Angry Grimace posted:

I never saw Cuvée de Tomme anywhere but at Lost Abbey itself.

Tehehehehe.....I saw at least 10 bottles on the shelf last week at an undisclosed hipster market in Los Angeles. 17.99 for like 350ml. God drat I loving love Cuvee De Tomme but thats a lot of money.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Samfucius posted:

I had some disposable income and a ride to the biggest beer selection in town yesterday, and I picked up some stuff I had never tried before, based on a mix of untappd reviews and what looked interesting:

So far I've had the Monk's Cafe Sour, the Fred, and the Gulden Draak. I really liked all of them, but the Fred was a particular standout. I absolutely loved it. The only problem I had with any of them was that the sour wasn't very sour; I would have liked a little more.

Edit: sorry for the image size. Didn't realize how big it was before I uploaded.

Monk's Cafe is definitely a light sour, for starter sours I definitely recommend Rodenbach Grand Cru, Duchesse de Bourgogne or New Belgium's La Folie - crazyfish also has a couple of go-to recommendations for sour newbies, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

That Pannepot Reserva is a great find - I've never seen it in a bottle before, only on draft. Enjoy!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Monk's Cafe is definitely a light sour, for starter sours I definitely recommend Rodenbach Grand Cru, Duchesse de Bourgogne or New Belgium's La Folie - crazyfish also has a couple of go-to recommendations for sour newbies, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

That Pannepot Reserva is a great find - I've never seen it in a bottle before, only on draft. Enjoy!

I remember La Folie being quite tart. Like super tart. Is my memory off? I feel like that wouldn't be the best starter sour if not.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

swickles posted:

I remember La Folie being quite tart. Like super tart. Is my memory off? I feel like that wouldn't be the best starter sour if not.

I appreciate the sour chat, but I have had a couple and liked them all. I don't necessarily need "starter" sours; my favorite foods all involve citrus and I love sour things in general. The first time I had a sour I loved it, and the more sour the better.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
opened a Perennial Fantastic Voyage and it definitely has some sort of lactic infection- it's got that tart, fruity flavor common to everything i've had from Duck Rabbit in the past year or so. no coconut, no chocolate.... just loving $17 down the drain.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Samfucius posted:

I appreciate the sour chat, but I have had a couple and liked them all. I don't necessarily need "starter" sours; my favorite foods all involve citrus and I love sour things in general. The first time I had a sour I loved it, and the more sour the better.

Have you had Sour in the Rye yet? If not get yourself some. If you can't get it, give me a PM.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Boon Mariage Parfait Kriek and Lindeman's Gueuze (unless you have easy access to Drie Fonteinen's gueuze). I actually recommend against the Rodenbach for a first sour bbecause of its very acetic qualities which I don't like (but others adore).

edit: My first sour was Ommegang Zuur. I definitely need to revisit that one as it's what turned me on to sours in the first place.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
A buddy brought Pizza Beer over to our BBQ today. On a scale of one to ten, with one being Voodoo Donut Bacon Maple and ten being literally any other beer, Mamma Mia Pizza Beer is slightly better than Voodoo Donut. Now I want pizza.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

lazerwolf posted:

A buddy brought Pizza Beer over to our BBQ today. On a scale of one to ten, with one being Voodoo Donut Bacon Maple and ten being literally any other beer, Mamma Mia Pizza Beer is slightly better than Voodoo Donut. Now I want pizza.

I've had that stuff too - it's surprisingly not horrible, but very much exactly what it says on the label.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Is Boons Marriage Parfait rare? I've only seen the framboise and the kriek.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Last night I tried a few new beers. The highlights of the night were Omnipollo Mazarin, and Thirsty Dog BBA Siberian Night.

Mazarin was fantastic, and one of the better APAs I've had recently. Unfortunately, to me, it's kind of in the same category as Evil Twin/Mikkeller... very expensive for what you get. The Mazarin was fantastic, and I could probably drink it all the time, but it cost $6/12 oz bottle... which means I will probably never buy it again, unless I feel like spending frivolously.

BBA Siberian Night was wayyyyyy better in bottles than when I had it about a year ago on tap. I think when I had it on tap, they were toying around with how long to age it in barrels. On tap, it tasted wayyy too boozy, and was super bourbon heavy. In bottles, it was perfectly balanced, and exactly what I look for in a BBA Stout. Holy poo poo was it fantastic, and I'm glad to say I live in the same city as Thirsty Dog. They've really been cranking out some quality brews recently, and this was no exception.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Midorka posted:

Is Boons Marriage Parfait rare? I've only seen the framboise and the kriek.
I see the regular Boon way more often than I see any of the Mariage Parfait around here. And I almost never see the Gueuze Mariage Parfait. Not sure if that makes it "rare" but it definitely isn't readily available. But it's around if you're looking for it.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

I recently found the Mariage Parfait in Melbourne, Australia for the first time. I've been drinking the normal Boon stuff but this Mariage Parfait Gueuze is a cut above - so delicious!