Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
All the Segmentum names sound stupid after enough times. It's just more of Warhammers style of taking the next immediate logical conclusion of "epic coolness" and then not really thinking it through. For instance, any time Segmentum Obscurus comes up, call it Segmentum Spookytown instead. It saves on the wear and tear of how up its own rear end Warhammer gets sometimes.

E: Oh speaking of up its own rear end, I got two thirds of the way into The Flight of the Einstein and stopped. I think I'm finally cured of my need to read all the Warhammer.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Orv posted:

E: Oh speaking of up its own rear end, I got two thirds of the way into The Flight of the Einstein and stopped. I think I'm finally cured of my need to read all the Warhammer.

Pray for the rest of us.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Orv posted:

I like Garro but that's probably the right place to stop on that one.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Deptfordx posted:

It's not the Latin, you'd have to be pretty cloistered not to work out the whole 'Second Empire' naming convention.

It's the artificial way it's used. No one says The New Empire/Imperium, or the Second Empire, or anything else that would sound even vaguely natural. It's the incredibly clunky way everyone says 'Imperium Secundus' in the inconsistent style that they use Latin (quite often cod Latin) when they feel like it.
That's kind of the point. It could be a clever linguistic reference implying that Ultramar is Imperium Done Right(tm) but more than likely someone just used a dictionary to directly translate it into a vaguely Latinish name.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

Pray for the rest of us.

Mourn not for the damned, they are already lost.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

That's kind of the point. It could be a clever linguistic reference implying that Ultramar is Imperium Done Right(tm) but more than likely someone just used a dictionary to directly translate it into a vaguely Latinish name.

Yeah, GW has said that it's not really Latin, but kind of the equivalent of what Latin is to us. In other words, Low Gothic = Whatever language you currently speak; High Gothic = Ancient, "classical" language, be it Greek, Latin, whatever. It's not word for word Latin, just bastardized words that the writers thought sounded cool and close enough that the average reader could kind of extrapolate meanings.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 24, 2016

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, GW has said that it's not really Latin, but kind of the equivalent of what Latin is to us. In other words, Low Gothic = Whatever language you currently speak; High Gothic = Ancient, "classical" language, be it Greek, Latin, whatever. It's not word for word Latin, just bastardized words that the writers thought sounded cool and close enough that the average reader could kind of extrapolate meanings.
GW aren't consistent about this stuff though, and like gently caress will the ever admit that Eldar is just Irish.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

GW aren't consistent about this stuff though, and like gently caress will the ever admit that Eldar is just Irish.

Some Eldar Guy posted:

Nil ann ach cleasai, agus tá an iomad measa aige air féin.
Nope. Don't see it.

At least the Eldar isn't real Celtic (as far as I can tell.) It just looks and sounds like it. Gothic is definitely Latin(ish), just not the words they really should be.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

berzerkmonkey posted:

Nope. Don't see it.

At least the Eldar isn't real Celtic (as far as I can tell.) It just looks and sounds like it. Gothic is definitely Latin(ish), just not the words they really should be.

Some Eldar Guy posted:

Nil ann ach cleasai, agus tá an iomad measa aige air féin.
"He is nothing but a trickster, and he has too much respect for himself".

Or, literally:

"not one but trickster, and it is too much respect at-him him self"

because gently caress Irish, it's a garbage language.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
gb2gaeltacht

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Never :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So for Halloween, I am planning on making a costume based on the codex cityfight guardsmen picture. Will post pictures as it comes along.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I'm going through Blood Pact and Salvation's Reach again and have no idea if that facedancer inqusitor has any sort of deeper tie in with anywhere else in the story. I know Abnett likes his call backs-

Am I over thinking it?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Immanentized posted:

I'm going through Blood Pact and Salvation's Reach again and have no idea if that facedancer inqusitor has any sort of deeper tie in with anywhere else in the story. I know Abnett likes his call backs-

Am I over thinking it?

I don't think so. I think he was added as the Sek-faction enemy for Blood Pact.

I started reading Descent of Angels. Hoo boy.
Thoughts:
- I've never cared about Dark Angels. They always seemed to me like the lamer of the two angels chapters.
- JUST WHAT I NEED: a high fantasy story in the midst of my grimdark space wizards!
- oh gently caress I'm actually enjoying the stupid loving dragon hunt WHAT HAVE I DONE
- Who's gonna fall? Can't wait to find out.

Still think DA are lame. Maybe this book will CHANGE MY MIND

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I never got the hate for DoA, I quite liked the change of tone

The worst thing about the Dark Angels is the whole 'dark secret' thing is probably based on a bad joke about (the poet) Lionel Johnson being secretly gay.

One of those things that seemed hilarious in the 80's and now they have to run with it

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Skarsnik posted:

The worst thing about the Dark Angels is the whole 'dark secret' thing is probably based on a bad joke about (the poet) Lionel Johnson being secretly gay.

One of those things that seemed hilarious in the 80's and now they have to run with it

The problem with the Dark Angels is that their personality revolves exclusively around the "dark secrets" theme and being constantly written by terrible authors.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Skarsnik posted:

While that is the go to joke for a lot of hams, I'm not inclined to believe the original intent was a joke. Anyway, quoting myself from the 40k thread as it's relevant.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Personally I hate the Thorpian "loyal DAs are really the traitors" thing because it's just such a shallow and juvenile way of looking at them.

The Dark Angels, either as a joke or as an actual piece of subversive commentary, draw their central mythos from an allegory for being a closetted homosexual. Yes it then has layer upon layer of Arthurian stuff added in, but that's the starting point. The chapter has a secret it believes to be cripplingly shameful. Yet they should never have had to keep it a secret in the first place.
They believe that the discovery of that truth would separate them from their friends and family, and ultimately destroy them. Maybe it would given the setting, certainly there are very real risks involved in admitting it. Their lives are lived in a tortured state of denial and self-loathing as they try to expunge something from their reality that wont ever really go away, because it is part of what makes them them.

The tragedy of the Dark Angels is that they are stuck in a permanent state of fear and denial, where they could admit their secret and be free from its chains, accepted as being who they always were by their society with the secret being seen as something which attaches no stigma to them. Or they could admit who they are and be ostracised by society, and even killed for it. Either way, they have wasted ten thousand years crippled by the fear of who they are.

That is the compelling core of the Dark Angels story.

But yeah, authors like Thorpe aren't up the job of dealing with it, so it would be nice if they were made to focus on other aspects of the DAs, like the old Native American/tribal stuff until someone with talent is given a shot. Nicer still if Thorpe were never allowed to publish again though.

I think ADB could do a lot with the Dark Angels.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 26, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Whilst it may be written like that now, I'd say the same guys that came up with 'Mag uruk thraka' probably just thought 'hurr gay' back then

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Angron was also originally written to be "so angry it is in his name", and yet he has become one of the most compelling traitors since being given a decent author.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For those whom it may concern, we have our official portrait of Leman Russ.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Cythereal posted:

Guess someone didn't want to draw all the furs and stuff.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Logan Grimnar looks more Leman Russ than Leman Russ.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Leman Russ looks great without a beard. I spent some time talking with the sculptor about that last Warhammerfest after some guy complained during a seminar about the lack of facial hair. Beards are cool, but you get so much more emotion on the model while avoiding cliche. And he looks a drat sight more regal.

The whole point of the Russ we get from the Heresy books is that he isn't actually the barbarian he appears to be. He's a sophisticated and supremely self-controlled being who people underestimate because of his facade of wildness. Making him look like a space-hobo rather misses that nuance. I'm also in favour of anything that fucks with the stupid B&C Space Wolves sub-forum creepy roleplay side of the Wolves.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 29, 2016

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I thought it was pretty much canon the Russ actually looked sort kinda clean shaven and normalish and it was just the rest of the Space Wolves that dialed the whole viking thing to 11.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jeez, you guys weren't kidding about the ending for Honor Guard. Did Abnett forget he was writing a book until the day before it was due and just go "Uhhhh warp storm and literal deus ex machina. Print it!"

Cythereal posted:

That doesn't look anything like a tank.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
He's clean shaven and spiffy lookin on the cover of prospero burns or whatever that abnett wrote

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cythereal posted:

I know it was mentioned in one of the other threads that he looks like Geralt, but he really does, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

While that is the go to joke for a lot of hams, I'm not inclined to believe the original intent was a joke. Anyway, quoting myself from the 40k thread as it's relevant.

But yeah, authors like Thorpe aren't up the job of dealing with it, so it would be nice if they were made to focus on other aspects of the DAs, like the old Native American/tribal stuff until someone with talent is given a shot. Nicer still if Thorpe were never allowed to publish again though.

I think ADB could do a lot with the Dark Angels.

Gav Thorpe wrote Angels of Darkness which was my first ham book, and he was one of the driving forces behind Inquisitor, so he's okay in my book. I've found most of his novels were pretty middle of the road though, never really being inspiring or terrible.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
It's all right and pretty much in line with his original Rogue Trader era model.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I always thought the DA's thing was protecting dark secrets that everyone knew about already.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Holy loving Christ.

They're finally getting around to releasing the Eisenhorn series as Audiobooks. :gizz:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/eisenhorn-xenos-mp3.html

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Deptfordx posted:

Holy loving Christ.

They're finally getting around to releasing the Eisenhorn series as Audiobooks. :gizz:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/eisenhorn-xenos-mp3.html

I want them to be good so badly and hope they even splurge and get some good voice actors. But this is GW so "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" is my feelings about the announcement.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

God, I hate their pricing so much.

Eisenhorn e-book omnibus is fifty loving dollars. Not only is that crazy overpriced, it costs like $7 more than just buying all the parts individually.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zil posted:

I want them to be good so badly and hope they even splurge and get some good voice actors. But this is GW so "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" is my feelings about the announcement.

It's just Toby Longworth according to the email I got. I don't think they do audio dramas with multiple actors that are over an hour and a half, or if they do I haven't heard any of them.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Yeah they don't dramatize the audiobooks. At least Toby Longworth is The Good One.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah they don't dramatize the audiobooks. At least Toby Longworth is The Good One.

I like Toby Longworth best as well.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Is BL ever going to release any of the new HH books in softback format? Like how long does it usually take them? I've never bought a hardback and I'm not much for the MP3 and ebook formats. It seems like they stopped printing any of the recent ones and I've been jonesing to catch up on the series.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Mass market paperback is the term, and its usually 6 months or so

Embrace the ebook though, kindles are loving great

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

bango skank posted:

Jeez, you guys weren't kidding about the ending for Honor Guard. Did Abnett forget he was writing a book until the day before it was due and just go "Uhhhh warp storm and literal deus ex machina. Print it!"

Given how heavily he was foreshadowing the intercession of the actual saint, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to end like that. We got a good battle at the shrinehold, sacrifices by those touched by the saint, and then a massive warp engine the AdMech would burn Terra to get the specs for. It works.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The big problem is it just ends. No follow up. Just cut to black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It is pretty funny how all over the place the Ghosts stuff is. Alright so the short stories don't really count but they find an honest to god STC producing Iron Men (corrupted of course) and it never comes up again. It's also never mentioned anywhere after the fact that the Gereon mission killed 5 chaos Space Marines and to me it kind of implies that Gaunt left that part out of his report.

Also god loving dammit how long do I have to wait for Warmaster?