Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I got a concrete offer for a better position than I currently have, but it's worse than another position I've applied for and know (have been told by a director at the company) that I am 'in the running for' 'with pretty good odds'. However, the offer I've got is contingent on me accepting it within 1-2 weeks, and I don't know how long the other one will take to crystallize. Additionally, I've been told by someone at the 2nd (better) org that 'these things take time' and to be prepared for a 4-8 week wait before even being invited to an on-site interview. What would you guys do, not taking into account my finances?

The concrete offer is for something in my current line of work at my current company (but another department entirely), the other position would be a pivot to another type of job entirely. So I could still pivot later on. To complicate matters, it would be a huge dick move to take the first offer and then dip out because it would take away part of the institution's funding--it would be enough to blackball me regionally, if not nationally, but it would have very few consequences internationally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'd reach out to the better org and let them know the scenario and if they don't want to speed things up for you it probably means you weren't as close to the front of that race as they were letting on.

Alternatively, since the new position is at your current place, bailing out on them is not nearly as bad. So you can always take that role but keep playing the long game. You won't torch a bridge like you would if you had taken a new job at a new company then bailed out.

So basically two choices and you are justified whichever way you go.

Wait, didn't see they'd lose funding. Then the 2nd option is actually probably a bad option unless that new job is truly life changing. I'd probably put pressure on new company and if they still want to play slow then I'd assume they weren't serious about you.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

So if I haven’t heard from the company for two weeks after the final and I looked up my recruiter on LinkedIn since he hadn’t responded and turns out he got laid off that’s probably not great.

Like I’m in a horrific helljob but it’s at least stable. That sort of gives me a not great feeling about the whole thing. But the job I was going for didn’t have anything to do with HR or recruiting, so maybe the layoffs were limited to that? Hopefully?

Recruiting got over inflated at a lotta places and they then had to turn around and slim it down, so by itself its not a great sign but also I would feel there are lots and lots of layers between my job and a recruiters job in terms of "fat vs muscle".

So I'd consider it a red flag but not necessarily a huge one.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Lockback posted:

Recruiting got over inflated at a lotta places and they then had to turn around and slim it down, so by itself its not a great sign but also I would feel there are lots and lots of layers between my job and a recruiters job in terms of "fat vs muscle".

So I'd consider it a red flag but not necessarily a huge one.

I searched some more on LinkedIn and see that other people have very recently been hired as recruiters with the company, so I think maybe he just sucked and got shitcanned and said on LinkedIn it was a layoff.

I reached out to one of the people I interviewed with and asked to get into contact with the new recruiter since I’m still so excited for the opportunity yada yada.

I also got woken up at 4am this morning by the plant manager of my current job for an “emergency meeting” about some nonsense that has practically nothing to do with me so yeah, red flag, small red flag, whatever it is right now is worse.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, it's also really easy to tell when someone is a lovely recruiter so you do see those guys get canned. That's not a bad sign for a company.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Lockback posted:

Wait, didn't see they'd lose funding. Then the 2nd option is actually probably a bad option unless that new job is truly life changing. I'd probably put pressure on new company and if they still want to play slow then I'd assume they weren't serious about you.

Yeah, sounds like a good call, thanks.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

an iksar marauder posted:

Yeah, sounds like a good call, thanks.

Just chiming in to agree. I think you really have nothing to lose laying out the situation to the new company. They should understand and respect that you’re not trying to screw over your old company and haven’t just been wasting their time. Whether they actually speed things up or not, I think it will be good going forward for you to put it all in the open now with them.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Hey everybody, I'm doing well at that county job. Sorry for not reporting back until I need help again.

I'm working for the county, part of a union, love my coworkers, and the work I'm doing is rewarding. I have my own office, and flexible time, I even have the freedom to make headway on projects I conceived on my own.

The only problem is that the salary isn't enough, and I had to beg from family for money to make ends meet. I know a lot of you encouraged me to not take something that didn't suit my needs but I was unemployed at the time and even though I was drawing unemployment support from the state we were depleting our savings. Even after taking this job I kept looking for others and wasn't able to find anything better, although I did get a couple of interviews. So taking this position was a good move. I have been in my position for three months.

Anyhow there is a job here at the county that would make ends meet. I asked my boss if I could apply and with her blessing, I retooled my resume and sent it in. Unexpectedly, they want to give me an interview two weeks from now.

The job is unusual, it's director for the county expo center/fairgrounds. The county actually makes money off it, or at least it's supposed to. It's been over budget for years. Anyhow I'll let you know how it goes. It's almost twice what I make now with the same great health plan but I won't be in the union anymore.

How should I go about researching this role and preparing for the interview besides the obvious (reviewing the job description, googling news articles, etc?)

Thanks as always!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I would assume if it's over budget coming in with a strong plan to be fiscally responsible would be the biggest advantage. So research things like vendor negotiation, budget management, etc, and be able to speak to them. If you had like a 100 day plan in mind to cut budget/find revenue that'd probably play really well. Only speak to things you have some confidence in though, there are definitely bad ideas in terms of how to get something like fairgrounds in the green.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I interviewed for a role in the recent past (like 7ish months ago) and was passed over, but the position has re-opened. Should I reference that in my cover letter (which they require, ugh)?

Something like "When I first interviewed with CompanyX back in Date, we had a great rapport and the role seemed like something I'd love to pursue. I haven't lost interest, and now that it's open again, I'd like to throw my hat back in the ring."

The feedback I got was positive, they just had a more qualified candidate, but I was in the final four.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

MJP posted:

I interviewed for a role in the recent past (like 7ish months ago) and was passed over, but the position has re-opened. Should I reference that in my cover letter (which they require, ugh)?

Something like "When I first interviewed with CompanyX back in Date, we had a great rapport and the role seemed like something I'd love to pursue. I haven't lost interest, and now that it's open again, I'd like to throw my hat back in the ring."

The feedback I got was positive, they just had a more qualified candidate, but I was in the final four.

Do you have the contact information of anyone you interviewed with, or was that just HR passing you feedback? My first thought would be reaching out to someone I interviewed with before with a link to the posting, asking if this posting is in fact the same role or if they reused the job description. It helps show your interest, it confirms that they are the same position, and that person can help get you past any HR screens.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Coco13 posted:

Do you have the contact information of anyone you interviewed with, or was that just HR passing you feedback? My first thought would be reaching out to someone I interviewed with before with a link to the posting, asking if this posting is in fact the same role or if they reused the job description. It helps show your interest, it confirms that they are the same position, and that person can help get you past any HR screens.

I think this is a good idea.

If you don't have a contact I wouldn't mention it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Coco13 posted:

I have the emails of the two folks who interviewed me. I reached out to one of them (the hiring manager) a week or so ago asking if I should go through the application process like normal or if they would want to reactivate me somehow.

I can hit up the other interviewer, who I think was a project manager connected to the role, with the same - might try the hiring manager once more to follow up, hopefully it won't come across as annoying or sales-ish.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If they don't reply don't followup.

Apply the regular way anyway, shoot One (1) email to your contacts to let them know. Don't mention you were already rejected in your cover letter/application. That's the kind of thing that might get you torpedo'd by HR, but a hiring manager may give it some thought or may like that you're sticking with it.

I'd actually consider this to be less likely that you'd get the job since you were already told no once, so after you do that move on and don't spend any more time/energy here. If you're not getting feedback that's probably your answer.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm blasting out applications and while my resume could use some work (that might be another post in the future) but I'm getting interest. I'm wondering if there's a good way to manage all the "when's a good time for a call/interview" messages I'm getting? Should I put everything into a Google calendar and share it with people so they can see my free/busy? Is there some online service that's helpful for this?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm blasting out applications and while my resume could use some work (that might be another post in the future) but I'm getting interest. I'm wondering if there's a good way to manage all the "when's a good time for a call/interview" messages I'm getting? Should I put everything into a Google calendar and share it with people so they can see my free/busy? Is there some online service that's helpful for this?

You could, or just give them your at-the-moment availability and if one place swoops a time out from under another, just email them saying you need to adjust. It's not a big deal if you tell them right away, especially if they take a few days to get back to you.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Even immediately my availability is like swiss cheese, between interviews and the few work meetings I need to actually go to. It feels like it would take a whole paragraph just to describe what's going on with my schedule.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Even immediately my availability is like swiss cheese, between interviews and the few work meetings I need to actually go to. It feels like it would take a whole paragraph just to describe what's going on with my schedule.

That warm sensation you feel on the back of your neck is the other 95% of this thread staring daggers at you for this "problem".

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

Why do you need to describe your schedule? Just propose times that work for you. "Would Thursday at 2pm work for you? If not, how about Friday before 10am."

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Welp, may be back at square one.

Recap, I have a hell-job. I applied for a bunch of jobs and for one it seemed to go really well. I had 4 rounds of interviews and in the 3rd with the team at the facility I would be working with, including the person I would be reporting to, 2 up and 3 up, they seemed very excited to bring me on. Had a 4th with someone higher up that went well. My recruiter even said they wanted to skip the final round and send me an offer. But the 5th round person insisted so we had the interview and I thought it went well.

Then two weeks of silence on their end, and come to find out my recruiter got fired (or laid off but probably fired.) I emailed one of the people I had interviewed with to make sure I didn’t get lost in the shuffle. Didn’t hear back from them but did get a call from the site’s HR person, which I’ve tried to return but they haven’t answered or called back.

And today they reposted the job.

I really thought I was out of this job. I was so mentally checked out. gently caress.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Epitope posted:

Why do you need to describe your schedule? Just propose times that work for you. "Would Thursday at 2pm work for you? If not, how about Friday before 10am."

Hm yes, I think I can squeeze you in between meeting with the president and receiving the Nobel committee.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

FISHMANPET posted:

Calendly. Put everything into whatever calendar service you want then just give them a calendly link. Can even connect zoom/teams. Might cost you a few bucks per month but it’s nothing compared to the expected value of an interview.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I really thought I was out of this job. I was so mentally checked out. gently caress.

When people say "looking for a job sucks" this is what they mean. Sorry that happened to you.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Can I get a temp/sanity check on this thank you letter? It was round 3 of interviews and it was a peer interview with 2 members of the team. It's for a martech company.

"Hi Donald,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to share your insights into the role and the company culture. I was pleased to hear your team is made of a diverse group of individuals with their own unique backgrounds. I believe my background in healthcare marketing and onboarding would be a great asset to your team. Have a wonderful rest of your day! "

Is that coming on too strong?

"Hi Joe,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to meet with me yesterday. I enjoyed learning about your journey to your current role. I am excited about the possibility to bring my background in healthcare marketing and onboarding to the team. I am excited about the possibility of joining a team that values collaboration and teamwork. Have a wonderful rest of your day!"

I just have this paranoid feeling they might compare emails (they said they were really good friends) so I didn't want to send out the generic same email to them but it feels a bit disjointed. I'm just fog brained and I thought why not check here before sending the send button.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm not quite in the mood to copy edit but both of these aren't very good. Try using something other than yourself as the subject of a sentence. Definitely don't start two sentences in a row with "I am excited by the possibility"

On the other hand it's a throw-away thank you email. It's fine to just say great to meet you today, your company's WHATEVER is rad and something i want to be a part of, i'm great, looking forward to next steps." you can vary the whatever by the individual you spoke to and chop it up a little bit if you are worried about comparing notes.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been in the workforce for 19 years now. How much of my early career should I include if I'm now targeting team lead/manager/director/senior engineer roles? At present, my current and previous two jobs are most relevant, so they get details and accomplishments on my resume. Everything before that is just a two-liner: company name, dates worked, title, location. It's meant to show growth over time but I'm now concerned it'll make me look old. Yeah, you can't legally discriminate against someone if they're over 40, but "it's not a culture fit" always hits.

Should I just nix everything from early on? Instead of this:

quote:

Senior Cloud Engineer, 7/21-present
Stuff I do
Foo
Bar
This 'n that
Major accomplishments
Big money saver
Huge process improver
Generally handsome and genial

Cloud Engineer, 6/19-7/21
Stuff I did
Widgets
Templates
Deployments
Major accomplishments
Security improver
Team player
Logic organizer

Cloud Administrator, 1/18-6/19
Stuff I did
Reticulated splines
Calculated terrain mipmaps
Cleaned patch manifests
Major accomplishments
You get the drift

Senior Sysadmin, dateX-dateY
Sysadmin, dateA-dateB
Sysadmin, dateC-dateD
MSP Engineer, dateE-dateF
Desktop Support Admin, dateG-dateH
Desktop Support Admin, dateI-dateJ
Helpdesk Engineer, dateK-dateL
Helpdesk Analyst, dateM-dateN
Helpdesk Analyst, dateO-dateP

I could just eliminate the early roles that don't exactly deal with the same technology stack and not mention it at all - the minus here is that it only looks like I've been in the workforce for 5-6 years, so I don't appear senior or experienced. It took me a while to figure out my path plus the 2008 financial crisis and aftermath did fun things for low level IT folks.

Alternatively I could just do something like this:

quote:

Senior Cloud Engineer, 7/21-present
Stuff I do
Foo
Bar
This 'n that
Major accomplishments
Big money saver
Huge process improver
Generally handsome and genial

Cloud Engineer, 6/19-7/21
Stuff I did
Widgets
Templates
Deployments
Major accomplishments
Security improver
Team player
Logic organizer

Cloud Administrator, 1/18-6/19
Stuff I did
Reticulated splines
Calculated terrain mipmaps
Cleaned patch manifests
Major accomplishments
You get the drift

Sysadmin/senior sysadmin roles: 2012-2018
Helpdesk/desktop support roles: 2004-2012

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not quite in the mood to copy edit but both of these aren't very good. Try using something other than yourself as the subject of a sentence. Definitely don't start two sentences in a row with "I am excited by the possibility"

On the other hand it's a throw-away thank you email. It's fine to just say great to meet you today, your company's WHATEVER is rad and something i want to be a part of, i'm great, looking forward to next steps." you can vary the whatever by the individual you spoke to and chop it up a little bit if you are worried about comparing notes.

Yeah it could be written better but it doesn't actually matter because it's not going to be read. "great to meet you today, your company's WHATEVER is rad and something i want to be a part of, i'm great, looking forward to next steps" is almost verbatim what to write.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

MJP posted:

I've been in the workforce for 19 years now. How much of my early career should I include if I'm now targeting team lead/manager/director/senior engineer roles? At present, my current and previous two jobs are most relevant, so they get details and accomplishments on my resume. Everything before that is just a two-liner: company name, dates worked, title, location. It's meant to show growth over time but I'm now concerned it'll make me look old. Yeah, you can't legally discriminate against someone if they're over 40, but "it's not a culture fit" always hits.

I could just eliminate the early roles that don't exactly deal with the same technology stack and not mention it at all - the minus here is that it only looks like I've been in the workforce for 5-6 years, so I don't appear senior or experienced. It took me a while to figure out my path plus the 2008 financial crisis and aftermath did fun things for low level IT folks.

If you think it’s relevant to your pitch just put it down with zero or one line of description. Or merge all the older roles together under the same title and larger date. Just make it clear from the layout that you did assorted IT work at that time for various places.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I always like to put something like "Please reach out if you have any questions" in a thank you letter as well, once in a blue moon I'll send a candidate a followup question so that's a nice little opening. However, I mostly don't really read them.

MJP posted:

I'd probably just eliminate everything before Sysadmin (which is relevant, at least in just years of experience), unless the company or something is notable. You can also just put something like "Previous Experience in Helpdesk/MSP available upon request". I also think your 2nd option there works pretty well too. So sorta depends on how the flow goes. I probably wouldn't do your first option, you're right it looks too disjointed.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

wash bucket posted:

That warm sensation you feel on the back of your neck is the other 95% of this thread staring daggers at you for this "problem".

Hoisted by my own petard, the interview I had scheduled for today has been cancelled because they're retooling the position. I will endeavor to be more humble going forward.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah it could be written better but it doesn't actually matter because it's not going to be read. "great to meet you today, your company's WHATEVER is rad and something i want to be a part of, i'm great, looking forward to next steps" is almost verbatim what to write.

yeah the thing with this is always like - it won't be read, so it can't possibly help you if it's good, but if it's kind of poo poo and you write two lousy sentences in a row someone will read it and it will hurt you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

FISHMANPET posted:

Hoisted by my own petard, the interview I had scheduled for today has been cancelled because they're retooling the position. I will endeavor to be more humble going forward.

i.e. an executive jumped in and handpicked someone for it and they're adjusting the job description to fit that person's resume

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Welp, may be back at square one.

Recap, I have a hell-job. I applied for a bunch of jobs and for one it seemed to go really well. I had 4 rounds of interviews and in the 3rd with the team at the facility I would be working with, including the person I would be reporting to, 2 up and 3 up, they seemed very excited to bring me on. Had a 4th with someone higher up that went well. My recruiter even said they wanted to skip the final round and send me an offer. But the 5th round person insisted so we had the interview and I thought it went well.

Then two weeks of silence on their end, and come to find out my recruiter got fired (or laid off but probably fired.) I emailed one of the people I had interviewed with to make sure I didn’t get lost in the shuffle. Didn’t hear back from them but did get a call from the site’s HR person, which I’ve tried to return but they haven’t answered or called back.

Finally got a call back. The VP I interviewed with last wants someone with a specific certification I don’t have.

Well, gently caress.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Does it matter how much you gently caress with margins? My old resume is a formatting hell so I'm rewriting and doing single column hopefully ATS-friendly.

16 years in da biz. Just doing professional accomplishments, professional experience, education. Four two-line bullets for current position, three for previous, two for the one before that. (All those at same org.) Two more jobs after that at one bullet each. I'm at a page and a half.

I get annoyed when I see resumes for non-management at more than a page. But I'm not sure I can get there without loving with all the white space Google Docs is giving me by default.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Use standard margins

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Quick revisit on my cover letter questions from earlier. There was a role I interviewed for, the interview went well, but they passed on me. 4 months later, the job alert I have for the organization fired off that the role was open again. I got the word from one of the contacts there: they "were unsuccessful in identifying a candidate recently" which leads me to believe that someone accepted and quit/was termed.

The contact said I should apply through the normal application process. Resume has been tuned further and now I'm brushing up my cover letter.

Should I just send them the exact same cover letter I used before, or should I retool the opening to note the situation?

The current opening is this:

quote:

Good day,

The jobs I've had over the years have been fulfilling enough, but what I really want to do is help make the world a better place. That's why I'm applying for the open position of Director of Infrastructure at %nonprofitX%. This is my chance to bring my experience to the table and finally have a stake in a meaningful mission.

Maybe something like this should take its place?

quote:

Good day,

I've been interested in bringing my talent to %nonprofitX% for some time. When the Director of Infrastructure role first opened up back in May, I was excited to apply and enjoyed the interview with %interviewerA% and %interviewerB%. Since the role has opened up once again, I'd love to reiterate my interest for the position. I'd love to apply my experience in a role that helps grow and guide the contributions that IT brings to %nonprofitX%'s mission.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

MJP posted:

Quick revisit on my cover letter questions from earlier.

Do they require a cover letter (nonprofits often do) or was it a differentiator for you in getting through to the interview? If the answer is "no," I would just skip it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

They do require in this case and you should do one if they ask/recommend, even if its not required. If they don't ask then skip.

I'd maybe not mention you were passed over but I'd also reword it so it wasn't identical to the first one. So first option, but not the exact cover (in case someone does compare, then you'd look lazy).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Lockback posted:

They do require in this case and you should do one if they ask/recommend, even if its not required. If they don't ask then skip.

If they ask/recommend, then from an applicant's perspective it may as well be required.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
I am so frustrated with LinkedIn and recruiters and job hunting and all of it.

3 times now people have contacted me on LinkedIn, telling me about wonderful opportunities. Twice these people have actually worked for the company they are spruiking for, and once they were a recruiter with a 'client'. All 3 freaking times I have been ghosted. I reply back on LinkedIn... I wait a few business days and then email them via the email address they supplied me.... nothing. What is the point of this? Even if they replied and said "actually we have gone with another candidate" (or just made up an excuse or ) I would completely understand, but again I reiterate they contacted me. Why ghost me? Am I not worth even a one line reply?

What is the point of them doing this? What is there to gain from their perspective? Do they have a KPI which is "contact [x number] of candidates and it is a box ticking exercise?

In other job hunting news I just got a rejection from a role I interviewed for and really wanted. Apparently I am next in line if it falls through but of course it won't fall through cos why would it.

I just need a job, goons. Why is this so hard :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Chewbecca posted:

I am so frustrated with LinkedIn and recruiters and job hunting and all of it.
I just need a job, goons. Why is this so hard :cry:

I don't have any advice; just commiseration. Job hunting feels really, really unnerving because you're flying blind. You put in tons of effort searching, applying, writing cover letters/resumes, online profiles, phone calls, multiple rounds of interviews, and almost every time it just dead-ends and there you are with no idea what you should have done different. Then you get up the next day and just keep doing it because what the hell else can you do?