Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

Not even gonna tell us who this was from so we can make fun of them?

Chinese gadget site Gearbest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

nerdz posted:

Chinese gadget site Gearbest

Read this as Chinese gadget shite to begin with

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I was on the Microsoft site to find deals on my kid's Christmas Xbox. I don't know if this is dumb marketing, but it's wildly optimistic marketing.

I have never seen a Microsoft store that busy and it looks like they just copied and pasted people in there, so it's entirely possible no Microsoft store has had that many people in it at one time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There are Microsoft stores?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I was on the Microsoft site to find deals on my kid's Christmas Xbox. I don't know if this is dumb marketing, but it's wildly optimistic marketing.

I have never seen a Microsoft store that busy and it looks like they just copied and pasted people in there, so it's entirely possible no Microsoft store has had that many people in it at one time.

Probably easier to pay a bunch of extras $5 to be in the store than to photoshop them in, honestly. The one in San Francisco's Westfield mall is pretty popular, but a lot of those people are just using it as a public computer terminal or as a place to leave their kids while they go off to do mall stuff.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

Looks like they copied and pasted a Mac store.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Everyone walking by is staring dumbfounded into what should be an empty building full of Surface tablets and peripherals. It's truly unsettling, like walking past a 2-chair barber shop and just seeing it packed with people just standing around staring at everyday items like the fish tank and those little bottles with the blue disinfectant liquid- it's engaging but you unconsciously quicken your pace and avert your eyes as the patrons' blank stares turn in the direction of your footsteps.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

Probably easier to pay a bunch of extras $5 to be in the store than to photoshop them in, honestly. The one in San Francisco's Westfield mall is pretty popular, but a lot of those people are just using it as a public computer terminal or as a place to leave their kids while they go off to do mall stuff.

You'd think so, but I imagine it's tough to control for glare and clarity while photographing an actual storefront full of extras. Easier to Photoshop. I'm sure Apple would do the same thing for ad copy, but the difference being Apple Stores are often that busy. It's just jarring to look at because I've been in Microsoft stores multiple times and they're always empty except for some employees re-evaluating their career choices.

Waffleman_ posted:

There are Microsoft stores?

Yeah, I know right.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Do they commonly place MS stores near/next to/across from Apple stores? The only two Microsoft stores I've ever seen have been near Apple stores... Pretty "ballsy" move i.m.h.o., but ultimately only serves to show the huge difference in the number of customers

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Croccers posted:

Looks like they copied and pasted a Mac store.

Why would a tech company copy a cosmetics company?(also why hasn't Apple bought them just so they can own the name and not use it.)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Last Chance posted:

Do they commonly place MS stores near/next to/across from Apple stores? The only two Microsoft stores I've ever seen have been near Apple stores... Pretty "ballsy" move i.m.h.o., but ultimately only serves to show the huge difference in the number of customers

"The apple store looks busy, let's just go to the Microsoft store" seems to be their hope

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It’s probably the Burger King school of location scouting. See where McDonalds is and put your restaurant next to them.

The problem is Apple stores are always busy because people need repairs. Microsoft stores do some repairs also, but they don’t have enough volume to keep their stores packed. Also I think their highest profile hardware (Surfaces) are both prone to failure and drat near impossible to repair, which makes servicing them in-store difficult.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I took a friend’s ultrathin HP home to do whatever diagnostics I could on it. I couldn’t do a drat thing aside from try a different power adaptor. I opened up the bottom and the rest of the computer was inaccessible aside from one board that facilitated keyboard/mouse input and power flow. All you could possibly do is replace whichever half wasn’t working, or whole drat thing.

I think there’s gonna be a reckoning soon on consumer rights and repairability. The only way this can be “serviced” as far as I can tell is by sending it to HP. I get that it’s a sacrifice at some level for the thinness of the unit. But drat, these companies get you coming and going and then don’t pay tax on the money they get from us!

Sorry, the Surface servicing comment made me think of this.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I opened up a 2012 MacBook Air after a friend of mine dropped it and it would no longer turn on. All of the parts inside were covered by a layer of epoxy for no other reason I can fathom other than "you might have bought this but gently caress yourself if you want to fix it".

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Memento posted:

I opened up a 2012 MacBook Air after a friend of mine dropped it and it would no longer turn on. All of the parts inside were covered by a layer of epoxy for no other reason I can fathom other than "you might have bought this but gently caress yourself if you want to fix it".

So they basically potted the entire motherboard?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potting_(electronics)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Microsoft is also drat near being a public utility, while Apple is shiny toys.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
The fifth avenue flagship MS store in NYC is busy like that. Mind you, Microsoft stores sell all sorts of non Microsoft branded stuff like Dell and Razer, so it's more of a premium PC hardware store.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Memento posted:

Yes they've been doing this since 2012. I remember opening up a 13" MacBook Pro next to an identical one from a year later to find they'd changed the size of the hard drive itself for no reason I could discern other than gently caress you.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, that corporate culture of Never Stop Buying Apple Products has really turned me off in recent years.

Third party accessories? gently caress you. Self repairs? gently caress you. NEVER STOP BUYING APPLE PRODUCTS.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Apple products have the most third party accessories

Good luck finding a phone case for random Android phone in a brick and mortar. You'll find plenty of cases for iPhones at most stores.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 14:04 on Nov 21, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Gluing poo poo down has a purpose in mobile devices. Even non-standard SSID drives aren't the absolute worst things in the world because you can still replace them - it just costs more. But soldering RAM to a laptop, much less a desktop, is a dick move whose only purpose is to force you to buy more computer than you initially want or risk regretting your choices 2 or 3 years down the line.

Self repairs though are a weird sort of good and bad. Like no, you can't repair your laptop - but few people ever did. But in my experience you can repair iPhone components better than other brands. Like I can find batteries, screens, or components without a problem. However when I tried to find a new screen for a cracked Nexus 4, the price was 4x more expensive than a comparable iPhone screen. There are benefits to being the single most popular phone in the world.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mu Zeta posted:

Apple products have the most third party accessories

Good luck finding a phone case for random Android phone in a brick and mortar. You'll find plenty of cases for iPhones at most stores.

Do you live in a small town or something? I have never seen a place only carry iphone cases. Also who the gently caress still shops in stores

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Apple Stores are packed when I walk by them.

My point is that getting a case or some accessory for the iPhone is much easier than for an LG G5 whatever model. Apple embraces third party stuff. Waffleman implied otherwise.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 14:18 on Nov 21, 2017

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

At least half the customers in any given Apple store are there for repairs. Its the combination of everyone carrying easily breakable devices with their removing the ability to self repair their computers anymore.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

jojoinnit posted:

At least half the customers in any given Apple store are there for repairs. Its the combination of everyone carrying easily breakable devices with their removing the ability to self repair their computers anymore.

People still wait in line to buy a stupid phone though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

Apple Stores are packed when I walk by them.

My point is that getting a case or some accessory for the iPhone is much easier than for an LG G5 whatever model. Apple embraces third party stuff. Waffleman implied otherwise.

I suspect it's just easier to market to Apple phones, because you have a limited number of products, that don't really change much on the exterior.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty much, compared to forty million different Android phones each with slightly different things that make accessories mutually exclusive. Apple knows what they're doing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also I was more talking about everything has to be some kinda proprietary cable or port with them.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Waffleman_ posted:

Also I was more talking about everything has to be some kinda proprietary cable or port with them.

Yeah when I think "third party product," I'm not thinking "plastic cover in physical stores," I'm thinking of wires and adaptors. At my workplace we use all Macs and can't afford to upgrade all our machines at once. the proprietary chords from one generation of mac to the next are different, so we need adaptors just to get a Mac working with a different Mac let alone not-mac machines. I think Macs and PCs balance out in the long run with pros and cons, but "cooperation with third party products," will never be in my Apple pro list.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Huntersoninski posted:

Yeah when I think "third party product," I'm not thinking "plastic cover in physical stores," I'm thinking of wires and adaptors. At my workplace we use all Macs and can't afford to upgrade all our machines at once. the proprietary chords from one generation of mac to the next are different, so we need adaptors just to get a Mac working with a different Mac let alone not-mac machines. I think Macs and PCs balance out in the long run with pros and cons, but "cooperation with third party products," will never be in my Apple pro list.

I grew up in a mac household, and even in the 80's and 90's Apple loved being proprietary. I think the only thing that wasn't proprietary on a mac was their use of SCSI peripherals. SCSI wasn't terribly common so if you were buying a SCSI printer, it was likely to be Apple branded.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Then Apple's adoption of USB C is a good step except for the part where they dumped support for everything else.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the future is going to be a lot more compatible, but gently caress you if you want a SD card slot now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Krispy Wafer posted:

Gluing poo poo down has a purpose in mobile devices. Even non-standard SSID drives aren't the absolute worst things in the world because you can still replace them - it just costs more. But soldering RAM to a laptop, much less a desktop, is a dick move whose only purpose is to force you to buy more computer than you initially want or risk regretting your choices 2 or 3 years down the line.

It's obnoxious, but the soldered-on RAM has one advantage: it's more reliable. I'm a Mac tech on a 14,000 user campus and since the non-soldered memory machines dropped off of support we've seen far fewer memory issues.

We're still hating the switch to USB-C, sourcing cables in quantity has been a real pain.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

mllaneza posted:

We're still hating the switch to USB-C, sourcing cables in quantity has been a real pain.
Try working in the screen industry where you have the shift from FireWire to USB to USB-C / Thunderbolt to contend with. Old iMacs become coveted because they have a CD drive and FW ports for when you need to ingest something odd.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Dunno if this is a dumb move in marketing but it certainly isn't great:

https://romance.kinja.com/

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
What is that

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Uh... Ace Hardware has a fake sitcom encouraging their employees to date the customers I guess

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

jojoinnit posted:

Dunno if this is a dumb move in marketing but it certainly isn't great:

https://romance.kinja.com/

never in my wildest dreams did I imagine to see romance "curated by" a chain of hardware stores

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You be the judge if this clip is good or bad marketing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEEnUc4H6i4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I love the unintentional humor of a romance series being sponsored by a company named Ace.

(I know ace people can still have romantic relationships, let me have this)