Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ZombieLenin posted:

It's because of my day job--I'm have a PhD and work in data science. I also used to make video games for a living. So I end up having very particular pet peeves about claiming scales of representation are arbitrary, especially in video games.
Ah. Sorry I triggered you. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bort Bortles posted:

This is a bully free, free range, completely organic, anti-biotic free thread with no MSG or preservatives.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
MSG is loving delicious.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Bort Bortles posted:

I know, it's a weird rather specific pet peeve. The only other thing that gets me worked up like that is when people use "begs the question" incorrectly. :argh

Edit

McGavin posted:

Looking up number of games played per tank on vbaddict is not hard.

Number of times someone does something is not an indicator of taking something seriously. For example, I've driven my car thousands of times, but I am not serious about cars. I also go camping a lot, but I am not serious about doing outdoors things that involve camping.

Or perhaps more a propos to the conversation, I've played chess at least hundreds of times in my life; however, I am not a serious chess player, nor do I take chess games seriously.

All I am really saying is some goons do treat tanks seriously. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Just an observation.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 26, 2015

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Hellsau posted:

MSG is loving delicious.

It really is.

gently caress, I want Chinese food now...

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Mesadoram posted:

This is a bully free, free range, completely organic, anti-biotic free thread with no MSG or preservatives.

Is it gluten-free? This is important, my Achilles crew is rather sensitive and their hair might fall out.

Are there ANY good things to say about the Challenger? I just unlocked it and want to know if I should torture myself with another awful tank line.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 26, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Missing Name posted:

Are there ANY good things to say about the Challenger? I just unlocked it and want to know if I should torture myself with another awful tank line.

I've heard more good things about the Sturer than the Challenger.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Hellsau posted:

I've heard more good things about the Sturer than the Challenger.

That's like saying stage 3 lung cancer is better than full blown aids.

Daily E75 and T95 report: E75 is amazing, and I adore it. T95 is a pretty retarded tank but I kinda love it in a way. It is oddly charming, and allows me to browse /r/aww during battle as I try to get to the front lines.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Well it's decently fast and has good gun depression. It's basically a Chi-Ri that trades away the autoloader, HP and whatever slight amount of armor it had for a broken turret and some extra speed.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mmkay posted:

Well it's decently fast and has good gun depression. It's basically a Chi-Ri that trades away the autoloader, HP and whatever slight amount of armor it had for a broken turret and some extra speed.

So it gives away the only good part about the Chi-Ri in exchange for a worse turret and the ability to get into trouble faster?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
The Challenger is a fun and exciting tank.

It's pure unadulterated poo poo and the only tank I spent free exp to skip after realizing I was only halfway and ready to slit my wrists.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
It's no worse than any of the other tier 7 roadblock/free exp bait tanks.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Nah it totally is.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Hellsau posted:

So it gives away the only good part about the Chi-Ri in exchange for a worse turret and the ability to get into trouble faster?

Well you'll probably be bouncing shots off the back of your turret with your awesome 200mm thick back armor when you're running away at least. It's got barely more camo than the Chi-Ri as well.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the first actually good tank on the way to the E 50M? The VK 30.01 H and VK 30.02 M are just so loving boring and unremarkable and the Panther I and II seem like more of the same. Where's the light at the end of the tunnel?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The E-50 is the tits and the only reason my Win8 stats are good (because I played like 500 battles in it before there was an E-50M).

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

What's the first actually good tank on the way to the E 50M? The VK 30.01 H and VK 30.02 M are just so loving boring and unremarkable and the Panther I and II seem like more of the same. Where's the light at the end of the tunnel?

3002M is a perfectly fine medium. Compared to the others, it has great soft stats.

I actually like the Panthers, but to others they are terrible.

E-50 is good.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

What's the first actually good tank on the way to the E 50M?

3002M and up are all good.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

While not a knock on its performance calling the 3002M boring and unremarkable is perfectly fair.

Of course, this also means that the only actually enjoyable tank before the E-50M is the E-50.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

3002M is great, panther is anemic because its big strength (laser gun) has been battered by maps making sniping with low alpha less viable, panther II is literally just a Tiger with more speed, and the E-50 is great poo poo (but it's just an up-armored tiger until you get the top gun and engine).

The panther is the only real lemon of the line and even then its just mediocre rather than complete trash like the Comet (objectively the worst tank).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Control Volume posted:

3002M is great, panther is anemic because its big strength (laser gun) has been battered by maps making sniping with low alpha less viable, panther II is literally just a Tiger with more speed, and the E-50 is great poo poo (but it's just an up-armored tiger until you get the top gun and engine).

The panther is the only real lemon of the line and even then its just mediocre rather than complete trash like the Comet (objectively the worst tank).
At least the Panther gets the gun that is like 3x the length of tank. I am oging to go into battle with that gun on my E-50 once before I sell if (if I ever sell it). The E-50 is still a pig even with the top everything, but its laserpointer gun is fun.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bort Bortles posted:

At least the Panther gets the gun that is like 3x the length of tank.

It is like it has a comet coming off its mantle, you know, a vastly superior and wonderful tank that has no flaws.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prav posted:

While not a knock on its performance calling the 3002M boring and unremarkable is perfectly fair.

Exactly right, my complaint is that it's boring to play, not that it's a bad tank. It's the last VK I have to get through (aside from the 45s) and the only one so far that doesn't have a strong distinguishing characteristic. Like, the 30.01 D gets the speed and awesome sloped armor and the 30.01 P gets the short 88. In contrast, the 30.02 M has a standard gun with decent handling, moderately good armor layout, and sensible speed and maneuverability, so it plays like a Generic Tier 6 Medium Tank. Its good but a bore to grind.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Missing Name posted:

The best thing about the Challenger is that it is aptly named: it too suffers catastrophic failure 73 seconds after launch.

Seriously- I would grind through the Sturer Emil twice if I could skip the Challenger. It is loving awful.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The VK3002M is a tank with no major weaknesses, respectable gun handling, and good mobility that lets it perform well in a variety of situations, thus creating a very versatile tank. Verdict: boring as poo poo and dumb.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WayAbvPar posted:

The best thing about the Challenger is that it is aptly named: it too suffers catastrophic failure 73 seconds after launch.

God drat.

Is there a reason to research second AMX-30 engine? There is no horsepower difference between them at all, only upgraded engine has a bit less chance to burn.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

WayAbvPar posted:

Seriously- I would grind through the Sturer Emil twice if I could skip the Challenger. It is loving awful.

Bold statement.

It's going to be awhile, but once I am done with the E3 and the E100 grind which line should I go down?

This is what I got so far:

SPGs: T92 - Object 261
TDs: T110E4 - Object 268
HTs: T110E5 - IS-4 - T57 Heavy - FV215b - IS-7 - AMX 50B
MTs: Bat Chatillon 25 t - M48A1 - Object 140 - AMX 30B
LT's: AMX 13-90 - T49

I sold the T92 because gently caress that tank, but yeah I am not sure what to do after these grinds. I am sorta going up the WTF and Foch 155 tree, but I lost interest on both of the T8s.

Gervasius posted:

Is there a reason to research second AMX-30 engine? There is no horsepower difference between them at all, only upgraded engine has a bit less chance to burn.

A fully upgraded AMX 30 is a wonderful thing, even if it does not seem like it is worth it you should do it.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Hellsau posted:

I ground the Tiger 2 in Historical battles. Sure, I had 4 minute 59 second queue times for every match, but I also only faced hordes of tanks that couldn't damage me and got two or three shots. The greatest threat from the enemy was the M4 with 105mm - turns out a 1600 HP tier 8 with the long 88mm can accept 150 damage to two-shot the enemy in return.

Then again Erlenburg is a totally lovely map to have to play a tank on so much.

I'm sad they got rid of historical battles before I came back, because I always thought they'd be cool. Broken, but cool. Plus, I would have abused the poo poo out of this myself to grind tanks.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Which is the tank formerly known as the VK 3002 DB? I think it was tier7 back in the day and it was an amazing tank.

Mesadoram posted:

It is like it has a comet coming off its mantle, you know, a vastly superior and wonderful tank that has no flaws.
None at all. Having a gatling gun of a 75mm is so hilarious.

WayAbvPar posted:

:drat:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

The T9 of that tree is really fantastic... Ugh that is going to be a rough grind, only Chinese tank I have is a 1 crew T62.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

Which is the tank formerly known as the VK 3002 DB? I think it was tier7 back in the day and it was an amazing tank.

That'd be the tier 7 VK 30.02 (D). It's a brave new world.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bort Bortles posted:

It's the VK 30.02 D and it's still awesome.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

The T9 of that tree is really fantastic... Ugh that is going to be a rough grind, only Chinese tank I have is a 1 crew T62.

Just run the Type 58 in strongholds until you unlock both tier 7s from it. Bam, Sixth Sense. The M5A1 and Type T-34 are both good, the IS-2 is good, the 110 is insanely outclassed by the IS-3 now that the IS-3 front armor got buffed to ridiculous levels, and the WZ-111 1-4 is a better tier 10 than the 113. Plus I've heard great things about the WZ-120 if you can somehow make it through the shitpiles that are the T-34-2 or WZ-132.

I want the 263 kinda badly since the E3's armor is trash now, but the 100M1 was terrible, the SU-101 sounds just as bad, and I don't feel like buying a merely adequate tier 9.

Oh poo poo obviously you need to go up the German and Russian light lines. The Russian one in particular is kinda fantastic, though both tier 6s (and 8s) are fine for strongholds. Gofast mate.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

ZombieLenin posted:

I'm sad they got rid of historical battles before I came back, because I always thought they'd be cool. Broken, but cool. Plus, I would have abused the poo poo out of this myself to grind tanks.

It's coming back once they figure out how to incentivize people to queue up in anything but a Tiger.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Hellsau posted:

Just run the Type 58 in strongholds until you unlock both tier 7s from it. Bam, Sixth Sense. The M5A1 and Type T-34 are both good, the IS-2 is good, the 110 is insanely outclassed by the IS-3 now that the IS-3 front armor got buffed to ridiculous levels, and the WZ-111 1-4 is a better tier 10 than the 113. Plus I've heard great things about the WZ-120 if you can somehow make it through the shitpiles that are the T-34-2 or WZ-132.

WZ-120 has a scary gun on it. Especially for a T9 medium. Mmm that would be a fun grind once I go through the heavy tree.

Hellsau posted:

I want the 263 kinda badly since the E3's armor is trash now, but the 100M1 was terrible, the SU-101 sounds just as bad, and I don't feel like buying a merely adequate tier 9.

Su-122-54 looks amazing, so that makes up for its mediocrity.

Hellsau posted:

Oh poo poo obviously you need to go up the German and Russian light lines. The Russian one in particular is kinda fantastic, though both tier 6s (and 8s) are fine for strongholds. Gofast mate.

T54 Light is probably going to be what I get, RU is awesome but the T54 seems to be where it is at right now.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The RU is way more fun to play because you get to aim downwards.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mesadoram posted:

WZ-120 has a scary gun on it. Especially for a T9 medium. Mmm that would be a fun grind once I go through the heavy tree.

Su-122-54 looks amazing, so that makes up for its mediocrity.

T54 Light is probably going to be what I get, RU is awesome but the T54 seems to be where it is at right now.
The MT-25 is so much fun. I am breezing through it just by owning everything and laughing my rear end off while I do it. The LTTB looks really good on paper and from what I have seen it occasionally do in matches, though I do have to wonder how far down its proboscis can depress.
The VK 2801 is as big as a Tiger but has even less armor while mounting a bloop gun, all at tier 6. I dislike (but do not hate) the SPIC. The RU looks like fun.

Hellsau posted:

The RU is way more fun to play because you get to aim downwards.
gently caress.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The 263 line is decent but can be frustrating. There are going to be times when you need to choose between traditional TD vision games and charging in like a medium tank, and if you make the wrong choice you lose.

Also, somebody please tell me what to do in Sacred Valley in an unarmoured TD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Wait for sacred valley to be removed and dont play until then