Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Sharzak posted:

Is razing worth it?

Always. That's what will keep you militarily competitive, and it part funds your core costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mr. Fowl posted:

I'm starting a Ceylon game; any advice on starting moves and ideas?

I'm thinking since the main Ceylon achievement involves converting India, do you think I should have Religion as my first or second administrative idea?

1) Don't die.
2) Have Vij get in a losing war before they invade you.
3) Frankly, admin -> exploration -> religious is probably not a bad bet. You have a ton of time to convert the subcontinent, it's getting crushed by your neighbors that is a problem.

Exploration is likely to be a controversial proposition, maybe influence might be better.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Mr. Fowl posted:

I'm thinking since the main Ceylon achievement involves converting India, do you think I should have Religion as my first or second administrative idea?

In my Ceylon attempts I made sure that Vijay didn't rival me or mark me as hostile because that meant that they were going to declare on you and early on that's game over. Vassalize Madurai and eat what you can of Kochin/Malabar. Madurai have cores on Vijay land so rebels can help you if you're lucky. Improve relations with Bahmanis because they're going to be your best friend, In my experience Orissa rarely helps you and Gujarat is almost completely useless as an ally. Hope that Vijay gets in a big war or implodes due to the many bad rebel events they get in the first 50 years.

I took religious first and then planned on taking exploration second, but then again I gave up because the entire subcontinent became one huge web of alliances that prevented me from expanding past Vijay's old borders.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Odobenidae posted:

Actually the easiest way is to blob like a madman and 400 years later once you control everything just give all but 9 provinces of yours to a client state/vassal.

Please respect the spirit of the achievement. -signed, Catholic Granada

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Too Poetic posted:

I'm doing Prester John right now. I got an alliance with the ottomans who I'm currently using to smash the mamluks. Feels good..

Looking forward to your posts when the Ottomans pick the mission to conquer Egypt.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

YF-23 posted:

Looking forward to your posts when the Ottomans pick the mission to conquer Egypt.
Same.

Jazerus posted:

Keep in mind you will be westernizing pretty early if you play things right and getting Expansion's CB on basically everyone you want to fight when you do, if you finish out that idea group.
Indeed. I just feel like Admin will help more. I'm just bad at making tough decisions. I could always take Admin 3rd. It also depends on where I want to go with the campaign...could just quit once I form Malaya :v:

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Tahirovic posted:

Venetian seas comes to mind, you need to control trade in the med without blobbing.

vvv That's not the spirit of the achievement tough!

It is actually quite boring if you don't blob out though. After 100 years you're pretty much set in the med and after that the only thing to do is get colonial nations up and running. Then save up money, get 350 or so naval force limit and dump 400 light ships in each node.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Take it second. Admin, Trade, Religious, Military Idea.

You don't need Religious to be converting stuff until you start running into provinces that have flipped to Sunni. Until then just leverage the Clergy estate.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just want to say that I am really enjoying Estates. They are a good addition to the game. Could still use some tweaking but overall they add to the gameplay for me. I am not a fan of the loyalty ticking down towards 50 if they are above 50, because then I feel that I have to gradually feed them provinces to keep them over 60 loyalty, but I am not sure how that could be improved, I just find it odd that it makes an estates loyalty/influence rates cyclical (in that I give them an extra province here and there to get the loyalty up to reap a bonus and as soon as I can, I rip all those provinces back away so their influence doesnt get too high, then give them provinces back once their loyalty decays back upwards to 50 and I want to reap a bonus that requires 60 loyalty).

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
It bothers me that there isn't a military idea group simply titled "military ideas".

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There is, it's called Military Technology.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Eej posted:

There is, it's called Military Technology.

Technology is different from ideas, though. There's administrative technology, diplomatic technology, and military technology. Then there's administrative ideas, diplomatic ideas, and

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I would not mind a generic Military Ideas that gave a bunch of general bonuses. Aristocratic doesnt count :colbert:.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Eej posted:

There is, it's called Prussian Ideas.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
You can't have more than four military ideas, and offensive, defensive, quantity and quality are four military ideas. There's no room.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If I am going to move my trade capital, it doesnt matter which province that node I put it in, right?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I don't get how you are supposed to have enough time to do the First come, first serve achievement. I'm in my early 1600s and there's just no way to make it. I got around 1/4th of North America.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Star posted:

I don't get how you are supposed to have enough time to do the First come, first serve achievement. I'm in my early 1600s and there's just no way to make it. I got around 1/4th of North America.
You have to conquer most of it, not colonize. Let other people colonize.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bort Bortles posted:

If I am going to move my trade capital, it doesnt matter which province that node I put it in, right?

It does not.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Bort Bortles posted:

Nah, it doesn't matter. Ideally you'd want to put it in a non-COT/estuary since you'd want the merchant estate to have that.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Star posted:

If your capital is in NA, make sure you have NA disconnected from SA, so that your coring costs are reduced(and vice versa). Let Portugal/Castile colonize like mofos, but keep breaking off chunks. Keep in mind if all the coast is gone they can't colonize. Also, if you can bring enough trade money in that you're making a crap-ton, simply let the colonist get there then recall him and send him somewhere else. If you have a bunch more colonies going it can cost a lot, but you'll be able to colonize a lot faster.

I did first come, first serve plus the Odin achievement by the mid 1700s and I accidentally halted a lot of colony development by the europeans by taking too much territory before I realized I should just let them go. Also, you don't need to have cores on provinces, so if it's getting expensive on your primary continent, don't worry too much about it.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 23, 2016

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Star posted:

Focus on conquering the natives. That's actually the hard part. Once you've done that and gotten reasonably strong, then let Europeans colonize like crazy. I guess focus your colonization inland because it will take Europeans a long time to get there.

The thing is, when you conquer European colonies, they don't cause overextension. Native territory does. So once you've got all the native provinces conquered, the only limiter on your rate of conquest is unrest and truces. In my last WC I conquered the entire new world in less than 50 years due to this.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Technology is different from ideas, though. There's administrative technology, diplomatic technology, and military technology. Then there's administrative ideas, diplomatic ideas, and

Naval ideas! :hurr:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

It does not.

MrBling posted:

Nah, it doesn't matter. Ideally you'd want to put it in a non-COT/estuary since you'd want the merchant estate to have that.

Excellent, thanks guys. My plan for Malacca as Majapahit is to put the trade capital on Belitung :v: I just wanted to be sure that it would not be a numbskull move.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dibujante posted:

You can't have more than four military ideas, and offensive, defensive, quantity and quality are four military ideas. There's no room.

quality is so bad there's almost no situation in which you want to take it though:

Private to Marshal

+10% Infantry combat ability

Quality Education

+1 Yearly army tradition

Finest of Horses

+10% Cavalry combat ability

Corvettes

+5% Ship durability

Naval Drill

+10% Naval morale

Copper Bottoms

-25% Naval attrition

Massed Battery

+10% Artillery combat ability

Bonus:

+5% Discipline

It has 3 (the naval ones) that are completely useless, and the +1 army tradition is also arguably pretty bad. The only thing worthwhile are the discipline and extra combat ability, but paying 2,800 mil points for 5% discipline is a bad trade-off. additionally, the scenarios in which you would think quality would be the right pick (small nations), it never is because quantity will give you so much extra power you can punch above your weight. to make quality make sense you'd have to strengthen the armies to the point where a stack half the size of your enemy could win, and the bonuses quality gives simply aren't enough.

And this isn't even getting into how there is literally never a reason to take naval. it doesn't even give you extra force limits, which is arguably the only naval stat right now that matters.

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 23, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

axeil posted:

and the +1 army tradition is also arguably pretty bad.

What's your argument here? I'm curious.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

What's your argument here? I'm curious.

because army tradition decays at 5% of current tradition it's extremely challenging to keep it from bleeding away. not only would you need the bonus army tradition here but you'd also need at least 4 other things to keep it from rolling off. that's simply too much of an investment, unless you specifically want to get lots of tradition for something like "Traditional Player."

adding to that, i feel tradition is most useful in rolling generals, but you need extremely high tradition to see much of a change. To have an average general roll of 8 stars you need to maintain 60% tradition, and that's only twice as many as 0 tradition. A 2/2/2/2 being the average roll for 60% tradition is frankly terrible. you could even end up as bad as 0/0/4/0.

what that table says to me is that realistically you need to be at 80% or so to start rolling gods, and that's just not feasible without a lot of investment into tradition. it bleeds off too quickly.

see here for more info: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Military_leader

it's possible that i'm just completely misunderstanding the breakpoints at which tradition is worth it, but it just doesn't seem that usable unless you've got tons of it, and once you have tons of it, it bleeds off extraordinarily quickly. add to that that it's very hard to gain, and i just don't see a point in focusing on it. it's usually a better call to go for offensive (for fir and shock) or defensive (for maneuver) and get guaranteed pip additions to your generals.

i suppose another addition could be making general rolls less expensive, but since there's so little to spend mil points on, i'm not sure that's a good move to make.

if they reworked tradition so you were basically guaranteed to roll a 2 or 3-star general beyond 50% tradition, it'd make army tradition adds and quality much more of a decent pick. hell, they could make the bonus of quality "generals guaranteed to be at least 2 stars" which would be in line with the goal of the idea while making it strong enough to maybe be worth it.

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 23, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The +1 Army Tradition is pretty damned good. The simple fact is that loads of countries have +Tradition or -Tradition Decay ideas (Prussian Ideas have both), you get +1AT from forts, and Defensive is a very typical pick, which would already have given you +1AT. The best generals you can get are the >=3 siege types, and you'll need AT to get them.

Quality also has an excellent policy with Exploration (+10% MP recovery, -25% attrition) which makes it excellently suited for colonial powers.

e: VVV The trouble with Naval is that I can think of no situation where you wouldn't just take Maritime instead.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 23, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

axeil posted:

And this isn't even getting into how there is literally never a reason to take naval. it doesn't even give you extra force limits, which is arguably the only naval stat right now that matters.

Naval is extremely circumstantial and thus a bad pick in like 95% of cases, but in the 5% where it is relevant it's actually pretty strong. Its bonii to heavies and galleys are nothing short of insane.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

YF-23 posted:

Naval is extremely circumstantial and thus a bad pick in like 95% of cases, but in the 5% where it is relevant it's actually pretty strong. Its bonii to heavies and galleys are nothing short of insane.

what's the in-game scenario where you need to pick naval and aren't better suited taking a land-based military idea (or quality if you really need the naval bonuses)? the only one i can think of is if you absolutely need to fight great britain and conduct a landing on the home isles. otherwise i think there are other ways around it that don't require the idea slot.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

axeil posted:

\Massed Battery
+10% Artillery combat ability
Bonus:
+5% Discipline

It has 3 (the naval ones) that are completely useless, and the +1 army tradition is also arguably pretty bad. The only thing worthwhile are the discipline and extra combat ability, but paying 2,800 mil points for 5% discipline is a bad trade-off.

Seems to me the combat ability got overlooked a bit. For fights against equal strength enemies, having your cannons hit 10% harder is going to make a difference if you are fielding a full backline.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Naval should give you the ability to recruit admirals that can autonomously patrol, or something unique and useful like that.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Army tradition is a direct bonus to morale, recover morale speed, siege ability and manpower recovery speed, and at 100 tradition the 25% bonus to morale is the single biggest bonus in the game (the French and Prussian ideas top out at 20%). Every +1 army tradition essentially raises your AT resting point by 20, because it decays at a rate of 5% of your current AT per year. So for the cost of an idea, you get a guaranteed 20 AT minimum, which equates to a permanent 2% recover army morale speed, 5% morale, 2% manpower recovery speed, and 1% siege ability. It also gives you on average an extra pip on your generals. In addition, even once you go over that 20 AT, it'll effectively slow the rate of decay.

So it's up to you whether or not that's worth it. It guarantees you some bonuses which combined are very nice, but on its own AT isn't the single big boost of Defensive's 15% morale, Quantity's 20% manpower recovery speed, or Offensive's 20% siege ability. It's also likely that you'll have enough AT that you'll barely notice that +1 - if you're at 60%, your AT will drop 2ish points annually instead of 3, which, eh. If you're inattentive and a bad, like me, at that point you'll either be at war and AT climbing, or you'll be at peace and AT drooping.

Ultimately, all the +1 AT does is raise your AT resting point. In and of itself clicking on that idea won't give a bonus to your military, which in my mind makes it inferior to basically any other military idea. If I'm spending 400 MP, I want to get a direct military bonus, not a slight change to the rate at which AT decays. And to bring the discussion back to Quality ideas, even if I did want that +1 AT, I could get the same bonus with Defensive ideas instead.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

axeil posted:

what's the in-game scenario where you need to pick naval and aren't better suited taking a land-based military idea (or quality if you really need the naval bonuses)? the only one i can think of is if you absolutely need to fight great britain and conduct a landing on the home isles. otherwise i think there are other ways around it that don't require the idea slot.

Dealing with naval powers that have better economic potential than you would be one. Mediterranean countries can benefit from it if they have to fight poo poo like the Ottoman fleet and cannot quite afford to pile more heavy ships or galleys than they already do for example.

In most other cases, you'll want to spend that idea slot elsewhere, yeah. But if control of the sea can give you a leg up, and you're up against an enemy you cannot compete with economically to benefit from the increased forcelimits, the extra punch Naval gives you is really loving solid.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:sigh: The possibilities, Paradox.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Wu Tang alliance ain't N'ing to gently caress with.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
First Come First Served is probably the most boring achievement in the game and I'm glad I managed it during the custom nation idea bug

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

axeil posted:

Even against Britain, a temporary expensive build up over force limit is a better option. The issue with the long term utility of spending monarch points on your naval effectiveness for 99% of nations is that once you can afford to even contemplate taking on a big naval power, you can build up to superiority and then crush their navy. Once that's done you can disband or sell the excess and go back to basically ignoring your navy.

No AI but the Ottomans can stand up to a decent player on the seas by about 1600 at the latest.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Jazerus posted:

Even against Britain, a temporary expensive build up over force limit is a better option. The issue with the long term utility of spending monarch points on your naval effectiveness for 99% of nations is that once you can afford to even contemplate taking on a big naval power, you can build up to superiority and then crush their navy. Once that's done you can disband or sell the excess and go back to basically ignoring your navy.

No AI but the Ottomans can stand up to a decent player on the seas by about 1600 at the latest.

Yes but by that logic every military idea group is useless because eventually you grow strong enough to take any AI on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Hey guys, St. Patrick's Day is coming up in less than a month so I'd like to do Luck of the Irish before then. Any tips how to do this in 1.15? Many of the guides on the web and YouTube are tailored for earlier versions of EU4. Is it better to conquer the Irish minors and attack England while they're distracted with France or colonize, move your capital to North America and attack after you've built up your strength?

• Locked thread