Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Gonkish posted:

Skyrim just generally seems to have a more enthusiastic audience, and thus has the bulk of the modding talent on its side. Fallout 4 has fallen behind because it's just not as popular, but even still it's had some big mods over the past year or so. (Point Lookout and Project Zeta both released, for example).

But yeah, Skyrim modding is in a technical Renaissance right now. SKSE is even apparently doing things to diminish/eliminate the need for constant updating on SKSE mods whenever Bethesda fixes a typo and thus recompiles the .exe. No idea how that works or if they've completed it, but there's a lot of stuff happening on the coding side of things that allows modders to go even further.

I guess the deciding factor is that Skyrim more easily allows for animu futa waifu mods, if Nexus mods are anything to go by.

I think a big reason is voiced vs unvoiced main character and also that Skyrim has far more options for role playing your character which is a fertile modding ground. Fallout 4 is just harder to make new quests for because you’ll either need to voice Nate and Nora or have blank voice files and subtitles which would stand out. It’s a shame because F4 can be fun but I tend to play FNV these days if I want some Fallout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

This is the best new-game mod I've ever used. When I played Skyrim VR, there is a known bug where the cart at the beginning of the game spins uncontrollably, making it impossible to start the game (lol), so that mod fixed my game. You get a slew of options where to start the game, and have a kit to jump-start your game with. Also it looks cool

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Helith posted:

I think a big reason is voiced vs unvoiced main character and also that Skyrim has far more options for role playing your character which is a fertile modding ground. Fallout 4 is just harder to make new quests for because you’ll either need to voice Nate and Nora or have blank voice files and subtitles which would stand out. It’s a shame because F4 can be fun but I tend to play FNV these days if I want some Fallout.

Yep, you're right. Hadn't thought of that, but yeah TES being more of a "blank slate" character by design opens up a lot of options, and not having the main character voiced makes modding quests that much easier.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pontificating rear end posted:

This is the best new-game mod I've ever used. When I played Skyrim VR, there is a known bug where the cart at the beginning of the game spins uncontrollably, making it impossible to start the game (lol), so that mod fixed my game. You get a slew of options where to start the game, and have a kit to jump-start your game with. Also it looks cool
That cart ride is one of the buggiest parts of the game IIRC. It can fail spectacularly in any one of like a million ways if the janky-rear end Skyrim physics engine decides not to play nice with the rigid scripting. Aside from it being just a super long mostly cutscene intro you're generally better off skipping it even in an unmodded game because holy poo poo.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I remember reading a Twitter thread by a (I think now ex-) developer who straight up said "to this day I have no idea why those carts had live physics". The thread was about how they'd discovered that the carts would routinely get shot off the road by a single insistent bee.

My guess is it was because they'd planned to have proper carriage ride between towns, and the intro cart ride is just a leftover of that,
whose implementers weren't told to change what they were doing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've always thought of the opening cart ride as the whole game writ small: technically impressive when it works and will flip out in twenty different ways at a moment's notice

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Hey, all, looking for general advice on good mods to get into. I've been fooling around with Wabbajack, but it seems like every pack that adds new graphics and new content also feels like it has to re-work the combat and skills system into nuDark Souls. I'm not a good action game player, I don't want to 'get gud' and strategize how I'll survive the Bleak Falls Barrows because it's now level 23, I want something I can Conan my way through in my limited free time.

Sorry, I'm bitter.

Anyways, I'm at the point of just ditching WJ and trying to put together mods for myself. What would you all recommend for packs that add good content, and for packs that add good graphics?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

skeleton warrior posted:

I'm not a good action game player, I don't want to 'get gud' and strategize how I'll survive the Bleak Falls Barrows because it's now level 23, I want something I can Conan my way through in my limited free time.

Have you tried just turning on god mode (typing 'tgm' in the console)? I do it routinely with Wabbajack modlists, it saves much heartache. I just wish Wildlander would allow fast travel, typing 'coc MarkarthExterior01' gets old quickly.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

skeleton warrior posted:

Hey, all, looking for general advice on good mods to get into. I've been fooling around with Wabbajack, but it seems like every pack that adds new graphics and new content also feels like it has to re-work the combat and skills system into nuDark Souls. I'm not a good action game player, I don't want to 'get gud' and strategize how I'll survive the Bleak Falls Barrows because it's now level 23, I want something I can Conan my way through in my limited free time.

Sorry, I'm bitter.

Anyways, I'm at the point of just ditching WJ and trying to put together mods for myself. What would you all recommend for packs that add good content, and for packs that add good graphics?

Yeah, mod compilation dudes seem to be "IF IT'S NOT DARK SOULS IT'S BAD" spergs more often than not. I mean, I get it, but also I don't want every game to be Dark Souls unless it's loving DESIGNED to be Dark Souls, you know?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Unless Septimus 4's gameplay has changed a ton from its predecessor, the one I'm using, then it should still have fairly vanilla-adjacent combat. Septimus 3 just has that enemy lock-on system (very useful if you're a werewolf or vampire lord), but that's something the player actively opts into.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

skeleton warrior posted:

Sorry, I'm bitter.

Have you taken a look at Septimus 4, Keizaal or The Phoenix Flavour?
There's also Skyrim Modding Essentials as a very basic essentials list to build upon with your own mods and finally if you want to do it yourself there is A Dragonborn's Fate.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

How is Immersive Equipment Display compared to AllGUD?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

strictly better.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Gonkish posted:

Yeah, mod compilation dudes seem to be "IF IT'S NOT DARK SOULS IT'S BAD" spergs more often than not. I mean, I get it, but also I don't want every game to be Dark Souls unless it's loving DESIGNED to be Dark Souls, you know?

Exactly. I understand that the system is boring and everyone has figured out the giant holes in it after a decade. That doesn't mean I want it replaced with something where I should think of twenty restarts as "learning" and "fun".

Helith posted:

Have you taken a look at Septimus 4, Keizaal or The Phoenix Flavour?
There's also Skyrim Modding Essentials as a very basic essentials list to build upon with your own mods and finally if you want to do it yourself there is A Dragonborn's Fate.

Awesome, thank you!

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 3, 2022

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

ThaumPenguin posted:

Unless Septimus 4's gameplay has changed a ton from its predecessor, the one I'm using, then it should still have fairly vanilla-adjacent combat. Septimus 3 just has that enemy lock-on system (very useful if you're a werewolf or vampire lord), but that's something the player actively opts into.

Yeah I can vouch for Septimus 4, having just installed it this week. I'm pretty sure they say they are specifically not going for Dark Souls combat in the modlist description somewhere.

That said, I did end up disabling whatever combat mod it came with and playing with Valhalla Combat instead which seems quite good and not Soulsy at all. I like the fatigue/stun/execution system in it a lot.

E: I'm sure this has been discussed to death but just wanted to call out how amazing the Wabbajack system is. Having a 1600+ modlist download automatically and have it run perfectly first time from an isolated install location is completely bonkers.

piano chimp fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 3, 2022

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

piano chimp posted:

E: I'm sure this has been discussed to death but just wanted to call out how amazing the Wabbajack system is. Having a 1600+ modlist download automatically and have it run perfectly first time from an isolated install location is completely bonkers.

It's truly a revelation, I've tried so many times going all the way back to Morrowind to play a modded Elder Scrolls/Fallout game but not until this year when I discovered Wabbajack and Septimus 2 have I actually been able to play the game.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

It's honestly stunning to me that I'm actually playing the DLCs, without a good Wabbajack modlist like Septimus 3 I would've never made it this far. Also lmao it took me over 300 hours to even start Dawnguard. Turns out being part of a hosed up vampire court rules. Feels very appropriate for my "got every daedric artifact" dovahkiin to end up like this, I had to do some poo poo to fill out that museum.
e: that said I'm sorta jealous of Serana and her mom who get to have otherwise normal eyes whose irises just happen to be red while mine are blasting light like a Volvo. Feels like that should be more of a stage four thing exclusively.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 3, 2022

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Straight upgrade. Considerably easier to use (no need to patch anything at all, no need to generate meshes, etc.), adjustable in game, highly configurable.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gonkish posted:

Straight upgrade. Considerably easier to use (no need to patch anything at all, no need to generate meshes, etc.), adjustable in game, highly configurable.

Sounds like it's all good (heh).

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Hey so I've been updating my Anniversary edition mods to maybe get back into it assuming my save isn't totally messed after having a few issues with trying AE almost a year ago now after it came out.

Got it loaded up and it seemed to be working fine. Though it warned me a few mods were missing from my last save, is this normal when updating mod versions? I kind of just replaced them in the mod organizer so they stayed in the same position..

That and I couldn't quite figure out how to get this mod installed. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11052/

It didn't require DynDOLOD before and I have no idea what to do here. The readme included doesn't really tell me what I need to do with DynDOLOD in order to install this correctly so I'm probably just gonna leave this one out. Though if anyone here's done that before let me know I'd still actually like to have this one running.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Hey so I've been updating my Anniversary edition mods to maybe get back into it assuming my save isn't totally messed after having a few issues with trying AE almost a year ago now after it came out.

Got it loaded up and it seemed to be working fine. Though it warned me a few mods were missing from my last save, is this normal when updating mod versions? I kind of just replaced them in the mod organizer so they stayed in the same position..

That and I couldn't quite figure out how to get this mod installed. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11052/

It didn't require DynDOLOD before and I have no idea what to do here. The readme included doesn't really tell me what I need to do with DynDOLOD in order to install this correctly so I'm probably just gonna leave this one out. Though if anyone here's done that before let me know I'd still actually like to have this one running.

OK, the Majestic Mountains mod will work without Dyndolod, what will happen is because MM changes the mesh shape of mountains you will get pop in with the mountains changing shape as you get nearer and the lods change. Dyndolod will make lods of the changed mountains so it will be a smoother transition.
Dyndolod looks daunting but is actually fairly easy to use if you just use their settings and aren't into fine tuning and fiddling with it too much. I use it myself so can guide you through it if you want and there's guides online too.
If you don't want to bother with lod generation then just use a straight texture replacer on the mountains such as Skyland.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Ah good to know. Honestly if it looks cool I don't mind the pop-in.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

EDIT: nvm I figured it out

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 6, 2022

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Ok hopefully final question. I'm looking for Legacy of The Dragonborn compatibility patches for Zims Immersive Artifacts and Ars Metallica. Loot is telling me it's available in this download here: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/30980?tab=files&file_id=313982&nmm=1

But it isn't. I don't see the options when I go to install it so I'm assuming this version just doesn't have it. I used to have them installed because it's complaining that I'm missing these:

DBM_ArsMetallica_Patch.esp
DBM_SimsImmersiveArtifacts_Patch.esp

I don't know if anyone's got these old patches lying around and could upload them or something but I'm having a hell of a time trying to find it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I have to ask, how old was your modlist before you started updating it? Also, have you made sure that each of the updated mods are savegame friendly? I'm asking because I noticed Zim's Immersive Artifacts recommends against updating to 1.7 on an ongoing savegame (see: "V1.7 Update: general overview"), though it also has a lengthy section describing what you need to do if you still decide to go through with it. Chances are high it's far from the only mod that needs some extra attention to still function decently. If it's a pre-AE savegame I imagine a lot of script heavy mods might have some trouble, not to mention all the mods that have been rewritten from scratch for one reason or another, or which now features different plugins.

e: LOTD has been revamped and redesigned several times, there's a decent chance that if you installed those old compatibility patches, you'd find the displays hovering in the air, assuming the room they're in even still exists at all.

e2: LOTD's article Compatibility: Incorporated and Conflicting mods does not mention either of the mods whose compatibility patches you're missing. Not even in the list of no longer supported mods. Odd.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 6, 2022

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I just checked and it looks like I was using a 1.6.4 before. Though I'm not even entirely sure I had found any artifacts from that mod yet anyway so it looks like I might be fine there?

But yeah the last time I played was last December so it was right after AE came out and all the mods were in flux of being updated. I expect it's not the only one that's gonna be busted. I did end up finding an old download for those compatibility patches and installed them. Will see how it goes since those patches could be real out of date.

Artadius
Nov 5, 2012
The last couple of times I've reinstalled and setup a wabbajack modlist, I get a couple of dozen hours into it just to start experiencing very frequent crashes and locks on area transitions.

The last time this happened to me, I looked online and it seemed like the general recommendation is to never quicksave / quickload and turn off autosaving. But man I can't count how many times I've saved my sanity due to some dumb decision which allowed me to not have to lose much time for my last quick/auto save.

Is this still an issue or are there mods that can help with this? What is the general mindset to have if you're like me and you are pretty obsessive about saving your progress because you average about ten dumb decisions an hour?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Septimus has a mod that turns quicksaves into the topmost option of the pause menu, so you just hit Escape and then Enter (assuming the topmost menu option of 'Quicksave' is selected), immediately creating a save. You might want to look into what mod they use for that. As far as I understand, the reason for this is to make sure the game state remains unchanging during save creation.

I'd recommend making a habit of exiting to to the main menu before loading a save. It forces the game to load much more of itself "fresh", as opposed to an in-play load, where the game facilitates faster loading by carrying over much of the data from the pre-load session, which can lead to messiness building up. This was especially noticeable in older Beth games like Fallout 3, where quickloading after a kill would sometimes preserve things like blood stains despite the source of that blood not yet having been hurt.

Now this isn't based on any concrete information on my part, but I've gotten the impression that part of the trouble with normal autosaves is that they're specifically set to be created when the player loads a new area, which is the exact point when the game is at its most volatile and vulnerable, actively ejecting and injecting data. I imagine this becomes even more of a problem on a modded setup, particularly with scripts.

Maybe it'd be worth looking into one of those mods that makes automatic autosaves every X minutes or so? That way you always have an easy fallback, without having to worry about quicksaving as much. These are much more likely to be made while you're not actively loading a new zone, so they might improve your long term stability.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 7, 2022

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Quicksaves are full saves as are autosaves, there's no problem with using those.

But making a save before your scripts have finished intializing may lead to problems - and a lot of mays add up to will over a long playthrough, so you want to avoid saving in situations where scripts may not be fully initialized.

The 2 common situations for this are:
1. You've just loaded a save. It can take up to 15-30 seconds for scripts to initialize after a load.
2. You've just changed cells by leaving or entering a house. Same problem as above.

For 1 I use the Auto-save and time SSE mod to handle all saves as it will not save in the first 60 seconds after you load back in. I use its keybinding to kick off manual saves - it'll defer these if it's too soon after a load - and let it do (safe) autosaves triggered by way more useful conditions than the game's autosaves.

For 2 I disable the game's Autosave on Travel feature - these saves are done right after you've made a cell transition and may cause a problem with some script that may still be initializing. It's not very likely, but over the cause of a long run, it may happen. These are not very useful autosaves IMO so I don't miss them. I keep the on-sleep autosave, that's more useful.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Forgot to mention: you also want to avoid saves during combat. There are a few mods that explicitly delay saves if combat is detected, the Auto-save and Time SSE mod linked above is one of them.

ThaumPenguin posted:

Now this isn't based on any concrete information on my part, but I've gotten the impression that part of the trouble with normal autosaves is that they're specifically set to be created when the player loads a new area, which is the exact point when the game is at its most volatile and vulnerable, actively ejecting and injecting data. I imagine this becomes even more of a problem on a modded setup, particularly with scripts.

This is correct and why you should turn off the Autosave on Travel option in Settings.

The Auto-save and time SSE mod I linked above gives you much better triggers for autosaves and guarantees you will not save in the first 60 seconds after loading a save.

quote:

Maybe it'd be worth looking into one of those mods that makes automatic autosaves every X minutes or so? That way you always have an easy fallback, without having to worry about quicksaving as much.

The problem with autosave every X mins is they can occur too soon after cell transitions and while combat is active.

I spent quite a lot of time on finding a good autosave mod, looked at a bunch of script code. kuertee's Auto-save and Time mod goes all the way back to Oblivion and is the safest of the lot from what I read in the code. Its triggers for autosaves are well-designed too (discover new location is particularly helpful).

E: Your suggestion as to not reloading other than after exiting to the main screen is a good one too. Another way of saying it is: don't reload back into the same cell you were in before, the game may not fully initialize scripts. So either quit to main menu as ThaumPenguin says or load a save in another cell and then load back in.

E2: Some helpful modder added MCM menus for all of the Auto-save and Time mod's many options, so you don't have to tweak anything through the console any more. It's a really well done mod, give it a look.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 7, 2022

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I've made sure to exclusively rely on in-menu saves and always exiting to the main menu first whenever I need to load. So far I'm 350 hours into a quite stable playthrough and the saves themselves are still at reasonable file sizes (surprisingly much so, could it be that in-play saving and/or loading can by itself lead to save bloat?). This is the most cautious method (and as such also most tiresome), but the game sure does still work well, even after all this time.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 7, 2022

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The in-menu saves aren't needed, all saves go through the same underlying code in the engine from what I've read. The main thing is to not save when you think scripts may be uninitialized, which is basically too soon after load or a cell transition - or combat, which mostly works but has been known to cause problems too.

But the load from main menu thing is a good habit - I was instead looking for another cell to load first, then switching back to the save I wanted.

Would've been nice if Bethesda had coded it so that the engine could know when it was unsafe to save!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

That sure would be something! Of course, I'd also like a game where loading a new area didn't require a fade-from-black transition in which the player cannot act, but NPCs can, including hostiles. We can dream.

I wouldn't be surprised if Starfield's big fix to this would be to just abandon Beth's traditional hard area transitions in favor of the more modern style of continuous loading of both interiors and exteriors, RDR2 style. God that's going to cause so many issues once you add script mods into the equation, isn't it.

Artadius
Nov 5, 2012
Thank you folks. The Auto-save and Time SSE mod looks like just the thing to go with and I'll get in the habit of only loading from the main menu.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

One feature I really like from Auto-save and Time is its atmospheric time reminders that look like so:

The "you've been in <loc> for ..." and "you left <loc> x hours ago" give you a sense of continuity and of a larger journey than just stumbling from dungeon to dungeon. They make a surprising difference when I'm playing.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Some thoughts about the follower mods I've been using if anyone cares.

Follower mods are some of my favorite mods, and I've been very happy that my Septimus 2 list has a bunch. I've had a great time with Lucien, Auri, and Kaidan as well as a lot of the 3DNPC's that I've encountered. I have Inigo installed but haven't added him to my posse because at a certain point there's just too many people following me how do I choose who else to get rid of?

However, one of the followers included in my list is Mirai "The Girl with the Dragon Heart" and hoo boy this one sucks. Mirai is written to be a bratty 17 year old that you can eventually marry which is red flags galore. It doesn't stop there though, the quest involved is very lackluster and lore breaking in a way I don't dig. The whole thing is buggy as poo poo too. Lot's of points where an NPC is supposed to follow you or speak to another NPC that just don't trigger. For some reason Mirai's custom follower framework causes issues with my other followers, both custom and handled by NFF. A lot of them getting lost or stuck that wasn't happening before I started the Mirai quests. Follower summons (atronachs, familiars etc) can lead to follower infighting in my experience but hers seemed particularly prone to it.

If your curious about the lore breaking aspect: her deal is she's the descendant of Miraak and so also can shout and speak the dragon language.

If this save ever dies I definitely will not be using that mod again. I think the only big follower mods I have left to try in this modlist is Inigo and Frozen in Time aka not another snow elf waifu mod. I can put up with the waifu mod if she's useful and doesn't bug my game out but it's unlikely she'll replace my regular crew. I had Arissa for a while and she was a fine follower but her dialogue triggered a bit too much and frequently over either npc's talking to me or my other followers talking to each other so I retired her after her quest was done.

Lucien, Auri and Kaidan all have banter with each other so it's tough for other followers to compete. I think Inigo has banter with all of them as well so I really should go find him again.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Inigo is probably the best follower mod and I'd suggest dropping Kaidan for him since I don't think he has reciprocal banter with that one. if he's too important then drop Auri instead since she has the fewest lines overall. Or just carry a big rear end party

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I wish followers wouldn't talk if you're in a conversation or shopping/using a crafting interface. Inigo and Lucien are the only 2 I have installed and they interact a lot, often enough I miss out because I'm in a speech or crafting interface of some sort.

Both are great! Their banter is super detailed too, even when not talking to each other. When we got to the exit of the first large Nord dungeon I ran, Inigo ran a line about enjoying the cool air on his face - while at the exit and still in the dungeon. That was impressive and I hope it wasn't a coincidence.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Cavauro posted:

Inigo is probably the best follower mod and I'd suggest dropping Kaidan for him since I don't think he has reciprocal banter with that one. if he's too important then drop Auri instead since she has the fewest lines overall. Or just carry a big rear end party

I was running with 7 for a while, those three plus Lydia (because I need a tank/pack mule and felt bad making my "real friends" fit the role), Arvis the Bulwark(using the more interesting Arvis mod or whatever it's called that splices in new dialogue for him) and Meresine and Anum-La from 3DNPCs. I'm rich as hell so I don't feel the need to grab everything in sight anymore so I think I'm finally ready to retire Lydia. 7 was a whole lot though especially when I'd run into a quest that added a temporary follower, and then all my issues with Mirai's quest had me telling everyone but my main 3 amigos to go home for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I have 3 followers plus some gauntlets that give me a ghost follower. I also have the ritual stone so I can summon 2 things. I have an army fighting for me lol.