Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ironhead posted:

Wrecking in that thing somehow feels worse than wrecking on a motorcycle, and I still want one.

I've heard brush guards on trucks nicknamed "damage multipliers" and I feel like that is an apt comparison for the jagged crumpled plexi wreckage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:perfect:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Did everyone just miss what would happen if you took the padlock off?

Sliding it left only locks it more.

Unless it tilts up or something

Quaint Quail Quilt has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Sep 1, 2023

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You can’t slide it left. Look at the nubs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ok, i'm going to be the dumb guy in the room I guess.

What the gently caress am I missing here? Because it's not clear from the pic where the gate is and where the fence is. Assuming that they didn't do something dumb and bridge the gate/fence junction with the bit on the right, and that the gate is the bit on the left, that's a perfectly functional latch. Open lock, slide right, bar pulls out of gate-side latch, open gate.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

This looks like something I would do to keep my kids out of places they might try to go in impulse but get bored when they see it won't open easily.

EDit: You can take it off with a screwdriver

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ok, i'm going to be the dumb guy in the room I guess.

What the gently caress am I missing here? Because it's not clear from the pic where the gate is and where the fence is. Assuming that they didn't do something dumb and bridge the gate/fence junction with the bit on the right, and that the gate is the bit on the left, that's a perfectly functional latch. Open lock, slide right, bar pulls out of gate-side latch, open gate.

Rotate lock 90 degrees, latch can now slide right through all the ample space the shackle provides with how long it is.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Relyssa posted:

Rotate lock 90 degrees, latch can now slide right through all the ample space the shackle provides with how long it is.

Ahhh, I see it now.

Lol I am the stupid one in the room.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
edit - nevermind, was confused about what the confusion was

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

I love how the single missing screw implies that somebody took a screwdriver to it before figuring it out.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

BrianBoitano posted:

They also have security by obscurity since I don't know where that fence is

These are mandated in Finnish apartment buildings as every apartment has a little basement closet for storing junk. The basements are built to shelter standards with air filters and chemical toilets and they have to be convertable to that purpose in three days from official order by emptying the closets and removing all walls. Sometimes there are surveillance cameras to be sure, but mainly it relies on only residents having access because it's behind a locked basement door and people know that they're not break proof so they just keep junk with little value but that take space there.

Though they never have latches like that, just two hoops for the padlock.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You can’t slide it left. Look at the nubs.
As far as I can tell you can't slide it right either
:science:

Anytime you have exposed screws like that go with different kinds so they have to have a flathead, Philips, torx, square etc.

I've seen several "security doors" even that the hinges could be removed from the outside.

Quaint Quail Quilt has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Sep 1, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nenonen posted:

These are mandated in Finnish apartment buildings as every apartment has a little basement closet for storing junk. The basements are built to shelter standards with air filters and chemical toilets and they have to be convertable to that purpose in three days from official order by emptying the closets and removing all walls.

So what's this about? Some old reg about having extra shelter space in case the cities get bombed, bomb shelter basements, something else?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

As far as I can tell you can't slide it right either
:science:

Anytime you have exposed screws like that go with different kinds so they have to have a flathead, Philips, torx, square etc.

I've seen several "security doors" even that the hinges could be removed from the outside.

The thing the lock goes through on the right is the thing that moves. The bit with the hole on the left is attached to the back. So if the lock wasn't there, you could slide it right. Or if some idiot put a lock with a super long shackle, you could just turn the lock 90 degrees, and now you can slide the thing to the right along the lock, and open it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

minato posted:

This one's real too, and also looks like something out of a Richard Scarry book

Something with balls and pea that I can't work out

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

If they're like this then that doesn't help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9f-8UCZJ3k

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what's this about? Some old reg about having extra shelter space in case the cities get bombed, bomb shelter basements, something else?

Stone and concrete buildings over 3000 cubic metres in volume must prepare protected shelters in case of war, nuclear apocalypse, pandemic, chemical disaster, zombies etc. The law was enacted in 1958 so draw your conclusions what the main reason was.

There has been talks about removing the mandate to make building a little cheaper, but given recent developments it seems like it's staying. Just means that Finland has some very sturdy basements.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nenonen posted:

The law was enacted in 1958 so draw your conclusions what the main reason was.

:sweden: :arghfist::finland:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_nuclear_weapons_program

:haibrower:

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Milo and POTUS posted:

Something with balls and pea that I can't work out
I own two and it's driving me nuts

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

And to provide a funny picture, here's a Swedish nuclear submarine design from 1957 that had a 26 torpedo revolver nose.

The version launched in 1967 was diesel-electric and had 12 torpedoes.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Med plutonium bringar vi dansken på knä.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The Muppet chef was the PR face of the swedish nuke program.
Follow the money

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

loving foreign cars. I read the plate immediately as "PAY-ah" because I was reading something about the VAG/Spanish auto company Seat, which is pronounced "SAY-at" (or at least that's how the brits).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
^^ wtf

Gotta have somewhere to store the pee, presumably

Only registered members can see post attachments!

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

bennyfactor posted:

^^ wtf

Pee is stored in the binnacle

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Imagine two balls on the edge of a conning tower.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Railing Kill posted:

Imagine two balls on the edge of a conning tower.

Maritime works the same way.

Lobok has a new favorite as of 21:48 on Sep 1, 2023

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

bennyfactor posted:

^^ wtf

YouTube, man

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

freeedr posted:

YouTube, man

Hope crackerbarrel6965 is holding up OK.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Unperson_47 posted:

Hope crackerbarrel6965 is holding up OK.

Better wish them a happy early reconvalescence.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

bennyfactor posted:

^^ wtf

Those are the shield generators. Need to blow them up first.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Those are the iron correcting balls. AKA Kelvin’s balls or the Navigator’s balls.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

NmareBfly posted:

Those are the shield generators. Need to blow them up first.

Thanks for the X-Wing video game flashback

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Those are the iron correcting balls. AKA Kelvin’s balls or the Navigator’s balls.
... and the mounting is called a Brass Monkey. :eng101:

edit: brass monkeys were also the name of the devices used to keep cannon balls stacked. Basically British sailors had a thing for monkey balls

Cable Guy has a new favorite as of 03:29 on Sep 2, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This is correct. The two large iron masses placed on either side of the compass in the middle mitigate the tendency of the magnetic needle to be attracted to nearby large iron or steel masses like cannons (and later, the ship's hull, decks, and bulkheads). They ensure that the needle is most strongly influenced by the Earth's magnetic field and points true.

Cable Guy posted:

... and the mounting is called a Brass Monkey. :eng101:

edit: brass monkeys were also the name of the devices used to keep cannon balls stacked. Basically British sailors had a thing for monkey balls

This is... less correct. :eng99: You may be conflating them with the folk etymology for the phrase: that the rack on which cannonballs were stacked on deck was called the "brass monkey", and when it got really cold the brass would contract and the cannonballs would fall off the rack.

Unfortunately that's not true. First, brass doesn't really contract all that much more than iron does and the difference wouldn't make a stack of cannonballs fall off. Second, you can't actually stack cannonballs that way on a ship at sea, since the rolling of the ship would knock them loose, and they'd start to rust if left out exposed to the sea air. Third, variations of the phrase "<blank> the <blank> off a brass monkey" are known all the way back to the early 19th century but usually referred to charming or talking the tail off, wind blowing the nose off, etc. "Freeze the balls off" specifically doesn't come around until decades later.

It sounds right but it just doesn't work out historically. Sorry.

The device they are on, upon which the compass is mounted, is called the binnacle.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's called the binnacle because it's at the very top of the ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Soul Dentist posted:

It's called the binnacle because it's at the very top of the ship

More like the ballacle.