Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CrazyLittle posted:

Unplug it with a curtsy

Goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CrazyLittle posted:

Unplug it with a curtsy

:vince:

Post of the week.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

Methanar posted:

How can I gracefully cease all traffic on one of my wan links?

I'm thinking I can prevent traffic from travelling outbound on the wan link in question by lowering the local preference relative to every other link:

route-map LOCALPREF permit 10
set local-preference 50
router bgp 1
neighbour 1.1.1.1 route-map LOCALPREF out
Then for a full stop of traffic including inbound I can assign the GSHUT attribute:

route-map GSHUT permit 20
set community GSHUT
router bgp 1
neighbour 1.1.1.1 route-map GSHUT out

My concern here is how does GSHUT work, does the peer wait until it has reconverged a different path to my AS before it removes the route from it's table?

Maybe I should assign a bgp community to lower ISP side local preference and apply a few prepends too, they aren't a guarantee that nobody will go on the link but it will at least have fewer people on it.

neighbor 1.1.1.1 shutdown

That will shut down the BGP session with your neighbor, causing all the routes over that link to withdraw and start using other links. I usually see all traffic cease in a couple of minutes, but I imagine it would depend on the size of your network/other peering.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Methanar posted:

How can I gracefully cease all traffic on one of my wan links?

I'm thinking I can prevent traffic from travelling outbound on the wan link in question by lowering the local preference relative to every other link:

route-map LOCALPREF permit 10
set local-preference 50
router bgp 1
neighbour 1.1.1.1 route-map LOCALPREF out
Then for a full stop of traffic including inbound I can assign the GSHUT attribute:

route-map GSHUT permit 20
set community GSHUT
router bgp 1
neighbour 1.1.1.1 route-map GSHUT out

My concern here is how does GSHUT work, does the peer wait until it has reconverged a different path to my AS before it removes the route from it's table?

Maybe I should assign a bgp community to lower ISP side local preference and apply a few prepends too, they aren't a guarantee that nobody will go on the link but it will at least have fewer people on it.

Local preference is used just to redirect traffic outbound from your side and if you use it, the deprioritized route will remain in the BGP table as a backup but will be replaced in the RIB by any path to the same prefix with superior local preference. This should be a hitless change, since the route remains valid up to the point that it is overwritten.

For inbound traffic, prepending on that side will help you if your peer isn't ignoring AS path in the best path calculation. If your peer is ignoring AS path, unless you can mess with config on their side then your only real option is to shut down the neighbor on that side. As long as they have a route through your preferred path recovery should be nearly instantaneous but if they're currently preferring the path you wish to cut off or including it in load balancing you might get a tiny bit of traffic loss.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 5, 2016

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

In the past I've used an ICMP SLA responder with reliable static routing and then set up a time-based ACL that blocked outbound ICMP requests. Worked pretty well. But if you're using BGP then the other methods mentioned are a bit better.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I need to migrate some ipsec VPNs from vlans with HSRP to hardware that doesn't have switchports. I'm migrating from 3845s to 3945s and the switch modules are different. Previously I would just configure the crypto map like so:

code:
Router 1:
interface Vlan100
 ip address 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.248
 standby 100 ip 1.1.1.1
 standby 100 priority 105
 standby 100 track FastEthernet1/0
 crypto map customer-vpn1

Router 2:
interface Vlan100
 ip address 1.1.1.3 255.255.255.248
 standby 100 ip 1.1.1.1
 standby 100 preempt
 crypto map customer-vpn1
Vlan100 connects back to my firewall and a trunk between both routers. This won't work on the 3845s because the switch module is running it's own IOS on the 3945, essentially making what I'm doing impossible since there are now two logical devices. I thought about using Loopbacks but since they don't support HSRP I wouldn't be able to have my customers and partners connect to just one endpoint. The only alternative I'm seeing right now is to go back to each customer and partner and have them configure a second or failover tunnel to my secondary router and not use an HSRP address at all, but that would be really difficult to get changed since it involves contract changes. I did look into sub-interfaces but I'm not sure how I would make that work, kind of stumped right now.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to make this work with the new hardware without having to change anything on the other end of the VPN tunnel? I know I can install the ESW switch module in the 3945 with an adapter but I want to upgrade to a network module with GE ports, and also as far as I can tell the ESW switch module is EoL too (and it's not listed as supported cisco's 3945 module page).

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
You can't just use subinterfaces?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

abigserve posted:

You can't just use subinterfaces?

I'm going to try that out, but I'm not sure how HSRP will work since there is no l2 connectivity between routers. I suppose I need to trunk between each router's switch module and create the subinterface on the interface that connects to the switch module?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

ElCondemn posted:

I'm going to try that out, but I'm not sure how HSRP will work since there is no l2 connectivity between routers. I suppose I need to trunk between each router's switch module and create the subinterface on the interface that connects to the switch module?
Yes.

Sorry for the one word reply.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Another dumb question:

Why would my eBGP routes be showing an administrative distance of 200? I see that my iBGP learned routes and eBGP learned routes both have the same AD when eBGP is supposed to be 20

B E 1.0.4.0/24 [200/0] via 1.1.1.1 Ethernet1

e; Isn't it actually better that they share the same AD, otherwise the iBGP route would never be considered when there are eBGP routes available?

e; okay apparently AD is ignored unless you are comparing one routing process's routes to BGP.

So if traffic enters the left router and wants to get to an ASN off the right router, it will always take the ibgp path to the right router because that would have an AS-PATH of 1 assuming there isn't any local preference in the way.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 8, 2016

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Are you receiving the same prefix via the two different eBGP peers in this scenario?

Also: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/13753-25.html

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Yes, I'm getting a full BGP table from two sources right now and will be getting four soon.

I've read over that page and it was very helpful to me. That's how I worked out my edits there and was mostly looking for someone to confirm my interpretations.

I guess another question I have is it better to do next-hop-self for iBGP neighbors or route the upstream point to point /30s. At least in a simpler case like mine it doesn't matter at all. It might become relevant if you start adding in route reflectors

Without either internal routing or modifying the next-hop the BGP routes don't enter the table since core 1 one doesn't know about core 2's point to point links.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 8, 2016

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Methanar posted:

So if traffic enters the left router and wants to get to an ASN off the right router, it will always take the ibgp path to the right router because that would have an AS-PATH of 1 assuming there isn't any local preference in the way.

R2 (right) would see the same ASPATH as learned on R1. Path selection algorithm would be employed on R2 to figure out best path for that router, then on the RIB to FIB export the appropriate AD (20 vs 200) would take effect. eBGP AD of 20 only applies if the prefix was learned over eBGP on that router.

code:
>sh ip ro 4.0.0.0 255.0.0.0
Routing entry for 4.0.0.0/8
  Known via "bgp xxxx", distance 20, metric 0
  Tag 3356, type external
  Last update from 4.53.x.x 7w0d ago
  Routing Descriptor Blocks:
  * 4.53.98.197, from 4.53.x.x, 7w0d ago
      Route metric is 0, traffic share count is 1
      AS Hops 1
      Route tag 3356
      MPLS label: none

>sh ip ro 8.8.8.0
Routing entry for 8.8.8.0/24
  Known via "bgp xxxx", distance 200, metric 0
  Tag 15169, type internal
  Last update from 206.53.x.x 7w0d ago
  Routing Descriptor Blocks:
  * 206.53.x.x, from 206.53.x.x, 7w0d ago
      Route metric is 0, traffic share count is 1
      AS Hops 1
      Route tag 15169
      MPLS label: none

>sh bgp ipv4 uni  8.8.8.0/24
  3356 15169
    4.53.x.x from 4.53.x.x (4.69.x.x)
      Origin IGP, metric 0, localpref 100, valid, external
      Community: 3356:3 3356:86 3356:575 3356:666 3356:2042 xxxx:500
    206.53.x.x (metric 10) from 206.53.x.x (206.53.x.x)
      Origin IGP, metric 0, localpref 102, valid, internal, best
      Community: xxxx:700
Lazy example because of localpref, but if localprefs were equal it would've fallen to 4 (aspath length).

-edit-

Methanar posted:

I guess another question I have is it better to do next-hop-self for iBGP neighbors or route the upstream point to point /30s. At least in a simpler case like mine it doesn't matter at all. It might become relevant if you start adding in route reflectors

Unless you want to start carrying peer linknets in your IGP or redist'ing into iBGP (my preference, to have them available for monitoring with all the benefits of PIC), next-hop-self toward the RRs. Less state in IGP = better assuming you're talking xSP design.

-bonus edit-
Obligatory BGP Techniques for Service Providers.

ragzilla fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 8, 2016

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

quote:

eBGP AD of 20 only applies if the prefix was learned over eBGP on that router

This is the case of what's happening though isn't it? R2 is getting the table from ISP 4 over eBGP.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Methanar posted:

This is the case of what's happening though isn't it? R2 is getting the table from ISP 4 over eBGP.

The prefix is still compared in the BGP process first, before AD is considered. AD is only a consideration once the prefix exports from the BGP RIB to the router RIB (to compare against other protocols).

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I have two Cisco ASA's in a failover pair. Are there certain settings that don't automatically sync between the members? Yesterday we failed over to the standby device, and our remote access VPN went down. RANCID diffs showed that it lost a few settings under the webvpn section.

code:
-  enable vlan21
-  anyconnect image disk0:/anyconnect-linux-64-4.2.03013-k9.pkg 1 regex "Linux"
-  anyconnect image disk0:/anyconnect-win-3.1.13015-k9.pkg 2 regex "Windows NT"
-  anyconnect image disk0:/anyconnect-macosx-i386-3.1.13015-k9.pkg 3 regex "Intel Mac OS X"
All of the other changes we'd made on the primary in the months since last failing over were preserved. Just those got nuked. Is that normal behavior? They're 5512's running 9.5(2).

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Docjowles posted:

I have two Cisco ASA's in a failover pair. Are there certain settings that don't automatically sync between the members? Yesterday we failed over to the standby device, and our remote access VPN went down. RANCID diffs showed that it lost a few settings under the webvpn section.

code:
-  enable vlan21
-  anyconnect image disk0:/anyconnect-linux-64-4.2.03013-k9.pkg 1 regex "Linux"
-  anyconnect image disk0:/anyconnect-win-3.1.13015-k9.pkg 2 regex "Windows NT"
-  anyconnect image disk0:/anyconnect-macosx-i386-3.1.13015-k9.pkg 3 regex "Intel Mac OS X"
All of the other changes we'd made on the primary in the months since last failing over were preserved. Just those got nuked. Is that normal behavior? They're 5512's running 9.5(2).

The configs are synced, but the files aren't. You need to make sure your anyconnect packages are on both ASAs.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ok. But why did "enable vlan21" also disappear, then?

edit: Also, the files are present. It's just the config lines telling the VPN to use them that went missing. So I don't think that actually explains what happened at all.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 8, 2016

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Ok. But why did "enable vlan21" also disappear, then?

edit: Also, the files are present. It's just the config lines telling the VPN to use them that went missing. So I don't think that actually explains what happened at all.

Not sure why you lost vlan21, that shouldn't happen. Do you a secondary IP for that interface in the failover config? What code version? Looking at our recent one this weekend (files missing from secondary) we just lost the package lines:

code:
@@ -1437,9 +1431,6 @@
   enable outside
   enable wifi
   anyconnect-essentials
-  anyconnect image disk0:/anyconnect-win-3.1.14018-k9.pkg 1
-  anyconnect image disk0:/anyconnect-macosx-i386-3.1.14018-k9.pkg 2
-  anyconnect image disk0:/anyconnect-linux-64-3.1.14018-k9.pkg 3
   anyconnect enable
   error-recovery disable
  group-policy NoSplitTunnel internal

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
If you ever make a change on the standby ASA, it'll break config sync. You'd have to manually resync them to get it working again.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
You're not running multiple context mode on those ASA's are you? I've seen some weird new stuff in the later version of code regarding shared storage url's and stuff that I needed to do to get any anyconnect package working

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

CrazyLittle posted:

Unplug it with a curtsy

Best networking post ever.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Is there a way to do BFD across Loopback interfaces?

Router A is a route reflector client of Router C, Loopback0 is 10.0.0.1/32.
Router A is directly connected to Router B.

Router C Loopback0 is 10.0.0.3/32.
Router C is directly connected to Router B.

BGP Session is between 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.3. Routers A and C have routes to each other's Loopback Address via OSPF.

I would like to run the BFD across the BGP session for faster failure detection, but all I'm finding are examples on two directly connected interfaces.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Filthy Lucre posted:

Is there a way to do BFD across Loopback interfaces?

Router A is a route reflector client of Router C, Loopback0 is 10.0.0.1/32.
Router A is directly connected to Router B.

Router C Loopback0 is 10.0.0.3/32.
Router C is directly connected to Router B.

BGP Session is between 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.3. Routers A and C have routes to each other's Loopback Address via OSPF.

I would like to run the BFD across the BGP session for faster failure detection, but all I'm finding are examples on two directly connected interfaces.

Typically for this case you'd rely on the underlying (BFD enabled) IGP removing the /32 route to signal BGP to tear down the session. If it doesn't because you have another covering route you may want to look at fall-over using a route-map to ensure the neighbor goes down when the fall-over prefix disappears.

http://networkop.co.uk/blog/2015/06/11/ibgp-fallover-trick/

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

ragzilla posted:

Typically for this case you'd rely on the underlying (BFD enabled) IGP removing the /32 route to signal BGP to tear down the session. If it doesn't because you have another covering route you may want to look at fall-over using a route-map to ensure the neighbor goes down when the fall-over prefix disappears.

http://networkop.co.uk/blog/2015/06/11/ibgp-fallover-trick/

This is how we do it. BFD is enabled for OSPF and BGP goes down as soon as the route to the endpoint is removed.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
BFD traffic is just UDP, and multihop is supported (in the RFC anyway).

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Multihop BFD seems like some serious dangerous living. Is it?

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
I've used it in some inter-AS scenarios where it was the only option for reasonably fast signalling.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

tortilla_chip posted:

I've used it in some inter-AS scenarios where it was the only option for reasonably fast signalling.

The only application I can really think of would be for non-port channel parallel links doing BGP between loopbacks with static routes to provide load balancing. And in that case wouldn't it be safer to just do BFD on the underlying static routes?

-edit-
Or I guess it could be useful when you have the old Cogent/current Comcast design where you're doing eBGP with a router 3 hops away because they don't put large RIBs at the edge.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
For some reason I'm having a ton of trouble finding information on this optic. It has a blue release on it which makes me think single mode but I can't find any info on it online.

Can anyone tell me if the finisar ftl1323p1btr is multitude or single mode?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://www.epsglobal.com/downloads/Finisar/finisar-product-guide-2016.pdf

Search for FTLF1323P1xTR

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Trying to hire a good CCNA or a CCNP and our recruiter screens candidates with a small technical test. Its not really a pass or fail thing but its helpful to see if the from the outset if their CV is completely bullshit or if they have extra knowledge in other useful areas like Microsoft and Citrix.

Am I a terrible person for throwing this question in?

Both computers are part of the same subnet but are in different VLANs. On the basis of the information presented in the diagram, which statement is true about an attempt to ping from host to host?

A – Layer 3 device is needed for the ping command to be successful.
B – A trunk port will need to be configured on the link between SA and SB for the ping command to be successful.
C – The two different hosts will need to be in the same VLAN in order for the ping command to be successful.
D – The ping command will be successful without any further configuration changes.

D.

Also if any good networking guys are looking for a job for an MSP in the Cambridgeshire/Hertfordshire area, hit me up. If you can do networking & other poo poo (VMware, Microsoft server, Citrix), you are the answer to all of our prayers.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 30, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's a good question and I sort of suspected what you'd done before I saw the diagram.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

CDP and VTP will bitch about an inconsistent VLAN, though.

I think that's a perfectly fair question if you're shooting for someone experienced enough for a CCNP. A freshly minted CCNA may not realize it would work, though. They'll see the different VLANs on the switches an automatically jump to the different VLAN answer without stopping to think it's actually passing untagged traffic.

I filled an open position a few months ago, my technical questions were what I would expect a CCNA to be able to answer. (Except the BGP question, but that was more to see how they would handle an unfamiliar issue rather than testing any knowledge.)

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Thanks Ants posted:

That's a good question and I sort of suspected what you'd done before I saw the diagram.

I can't take credit it for it. I'm writing a 20 question exam and I ran out of creativeness about 15 questions in, so I stole the rest of them from the internet and this was one. I just didn't know if it was too much of a "GOTCHA!!!" question.

Ants you live in the home counties and do networking don't you? Get out of London and come work with me :P

Filthy Lucre posted:

CDP and VTP will bitch about an inconsistent VLAN, though.

I think that's a perfectly fair question if you're shooting for someone experienced enough for a CCNP. A freshly minted CCNA may not realize it would work, though. They'll see the different VLANs on the switches an automatically jump to the different VLAN answer without stopping to think it's actually passing untagged traffic.

I filled an open position a few months ago, my technical questions were what I would expect a CCNA to be able to answer. (Except the BGP question, but that was more to see how they would handle an unfamiliar issue rather than testing any knowledge.)

I've got about 5 "general poo poo you should know without even sitting a Cisco exam" questions, 5 CCNA level, 5 CCNP level and 1-2 CCIE level questions, then just a couple of questions aimed at getting a feel for how they handle stuff like your BGP one. I don't expect a single candidate to get them all right, but it can be really handy for getting a feel for what people know before you even commit to interviewing them.
Before this I had an ISP network engineer with 5 years experience who listed one of his key strengths as "Routing Protocols", but when I asked him a couple of things like "Tell me a couple of differences between RIP and OSPF" or "how would you enable EIGRP on a cisco router" and he couldn't manage more than a "uhhh...". Alot of CV's out there are just full of poo poo.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 30, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I doubled-down and moved further in, also trying to run far away from the MSP world

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
My gotcha question for phone interviews was always "What's the subnet mask for a /34?". If people claim to have a CCNA and can't spot the problem there, they're crap.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
When I do interviews I prefer open ended questions for candidates. Generally I whiteboard a diagram with 2 pcs, connected to layer 2 switches, connected to routers with MPLS.

I then ask them to tell me all the ways they can configure the links to allow the PCs communicate. It lets you gauge how much they know overall instead of individual concepts.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I'm not a fan of trick questions in interviews. People are nervous and may miss obvious stuff. It's not bad to ask questions you have specific answers to but personally I always try to follow up answers with questions about how they arrived at their conclusion. Sometimes just asking questions about their process will make the obvious mistake click for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

n0tqu1tesane posted:

My gotcha question for phone interviews was always "What's the subnet mask for a /34?". If people claim to have a CCNA and can't spot the problem there, they're crap.

FFFF:FFFF:C0::/34, duh