Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Separate objects are always easier to wrangle unless you really need a specific type of transition between them (like a round bevel or whatever). It rarely hurts to separate a model where the irl materials are separate too (metal blade vs wooden handle, etc) even if you merge them later for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'm very ad hoc about it. Often I'll merge and split stuff several times in the process of modeling something, just by what is most convenient at a given moment. I can't really think of any hard and fast rules for doing it one way or the other. Sometimes you'll need things to be made out of continuous mesh because there'd be ugly intersections otherwise or you need it to deform or something, but for example on that knife it would be fine either way. Just do what feels good and you'll get a knack for it.

e: So a week after I say I have no professional aspirations someone wants to contract me. I haven't talked to them yet, so I have no idea how serious this is, but I'm not against the idea in general. I don't know anything about how any of this works though and I need to fix that. I don't know what I need to know, I don't know how to price it, I don't know anything because I haven't given it any thought. :v: I imagine there's probably posts about this around here and I'm just bad at finding them.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 3, 2017

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Ccs posted:

I really hate how many studios hold grudges in this industry. As I mentioned before my gf got a great job as a CFX artist at another studio. She put in her two weeks notice last friday. Her current studio has spent every day since calling up her new employer telling them not to hire her.

The current employer is panicked because they don't have any other CFX artists and if they lose this one they might lose an upcoming project that has cloth shots. But it's just awful how they would so blatantly try to screw over a person's career. Hopefully the new studio doesn't listen. She signed the contract yesterday so we're just praying the constant badgering doesn't cause them to reneg.

That's very uncommon ( at the below the line level) and can be grounds for a lawsuit. She has a signed contract and your ex-employer has no say in the matter. If they don't want people to leave, they should have term/project agreements but that would also depend on the laws of the jurisdiction.

Document any proof of this occurring, but only if something actually happens. If she signed a year contract at the new place for say $90,000/year salary, that's her damages and she can sue her old employer for lost wages.

This is why ... sophisticated companies are careful in regards to hiring and having employees leave. One misstep can lead to legal problems.

If I were her I'd consult an employment attorney just in case something silly happens. IMO the new employer is going to tell her old employer to pound sand.

I mean gently caress, I've seen worse things happen. ILM literally cold called everyone at Rhythm and Hues one time by going through each extension one by one looking to poach people away from R+H. That's how I wound up at ILM, was having a bad day at work, and said gently caress it... why not have a job switch :v:

Guess what R+H did in response? loving nothing. Took it up the butt.

Animation/VFX studios are funny in that way.. they can't have it both ways.. they want the ability to fire you at will at any given time, but on the other hand that works both ways, you are essentially always a free agent to go for a better deal.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 4, 2017

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone go to Siggraph this year?

I would have went this year but I'm moving out to The Valley this weekend and got a bunch of work to wrap up so no free time.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 4, 2017

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I was out there for Substance Days and SIGGRAPH. I'll be back out there next year though!

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Big K of Justice posted:

Anyone go to Siggraph this year?

I would have went this year but I'm moving out to The Valley this weekend and got a bunch of work to wrap up so no free time.

I hope you're paying someone to do the move, worst time of year to be doing that in the Valley with the humidity. I wanted to die walking just walking to my mailbox yesterday.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Listerine posted:

worst time of year to be doing that in the Valley with the humidity.

haha. my car flooded 2 days ago because we got 7 inches of rain in an hour, and it's been a pretty steady 90 degrees with 75% humidity all week.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
This was my first SIGGRAPH - was there for the entire thing.

Presented during the Blender Foundation thing on Sunday (was the first presenter for Theory, after our MHC reel since we were hosting the showcase), was VIP for the AMD Capsaicin event so I got to drink with the team I've been working with before the event then got to meet Lisa Su after, then did a ton of networking.

Also got to go to the Pixar/Renderman event, which was awesome. Got a walking teacup and discovered Pixar has solved something I was struggling with. Now I can just use their research instead of trying to do it on my own!

Had a scene of mine shown at a demo machine at the AMD booth (the ProRender for Blender machine) and our MHC reel at the Allegorithmic booth too, so that was a pretty wild surprise. And did a presentation with my boss at the Blender booth on Wednesday, going over how we used Blender for Man in the High Castle.

We had some production emergencies so I missed some things I wanted to do, but overall it was cool. Ended up with a decent amount of swag, including the SIGGRAPH bobblehead doll.

I'm so tired though, we had like 11 artists in a tiny airbnb so sleep wasn't easy, and I'm still in LA at our partner studio dealing with stuff. on my way back to Orlando to stay with my boss for a few days, then back to New England.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 5, 2017

Stuff4and5
Jul 16, 2015
Hey guys been stumped for hours on this issue...

How the heck do I make a knife pleated skirt in zbrush? My anime characters are wearing those school uniforms and this just wont cut it. Any ideas?

Pic is closest Ive managed to get:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You'll want to use the zmodeller tools and creasing to get that effect. here's an exaggerated example to show you how the low poly on the left and the smoothed model looks on the right with the creasing.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot
As suggested by a CineD poster, I made a CG parody of "loss.jpg"

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbqz839BvHk

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Listerine posted:

I hope you're paying someone to do the move, worst time of year to be doing that in the Valley with the humidity. I wanted to die walking just walking to my mailbox yesterday.

Allied Van lines + 4 guys. Today the packers are wrapping things up except for my 3D printer and workstation + a few retro consoles and guns which I'm packing transporting myself. :D

Getting too old to lug furniture around.

The company I work for runs about 30 vanpools all over the greater LA area so I basically I'm in the burbs with a big rear end space and I can walk to the SUV pickup point. That's a nice benefit. West LA rent is getting too bonkers. Especially Playa Vista, I think people who pay an extra $1000/mo in rent so they can walk to Whole foods is nuts. And the internet is garbage considering I'm across the street from Google LA and Youtube. They can keep it.

One thing I learned not all movers are created equal. I see the truck + 2 men take 12 hours to do an apartment here where my guys do it in 3 [they use speed packs, giant rear end fridge size boxes on dollys so they can load 12 smaller boxes and lamps and poo poo into one cart and race that poo poo up and down elevators in chunks. There's a guaranteed minimum everyone makes so they'll get paid for a 8 hour job if they do it in half the time so no slow boating.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 5, 2017

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Doredrin posted:

As suggested by a CineD poster, I made a CG parody of "loss.jpg"

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbqz839BvHk

This is incredible, but it needs a tiny bit of hover-hand motion in that last scene.

e: also don't call it a parody. Just call it 'loss.mkv'

Stuff4and5
Jul 16, 2015
I'll start studying creases thank you.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

josh04 posted:

This is incredible, but it needs a tiny bit of hover-hand motion in that last scene.

e: also don't call it a parody. Just call it 'loss.mkv'

Something like that would be far snappier, but I want to be explicitly clear it is a parody for copyright reasons.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Big K of Justice posted:

One thing I learned not all movers are created equal. I see the truck + 2 men take 12 hours to do an apartment here where my guys do it in 3 [they use speed packs, giant rear end fridge size boxes on dollys so they can load 12 smaller boxes and lamps and poo poo into one cart and race that poo poo up and down elevators in chunks. There's a guaranteed minimum everyone makes so they'll get paid for a 8 hour job if they do it in half the time so no slow boating.

I used Excalibur for in town, from Brentwood to Sherman Oaks, 3 hour minimum they did it in 2.75. Never seen anyone work so hard as those guys.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Has anybody made the transition to working outside the industry? I've been sitting in front of a computer for a good 20 years of my life and I really just don't have the patience or drive to do it any longer than I have, 7~ years in the industry so far. I still want to sculpt and create art but want to focus on the tangible side of things. It's got to the point that the money really don't mean jack poo poo to me especially considering every company that wants to hire me wants me to live in an expensive rear end region.

My original goal was to get into the industry to be able to sustain myself and a family (and live in Mass where my family is living, currently in Seattle), and unfortunately there's just not that much opportunity for me back in Mass as far as games industry goes. So I need to make the decision to switch career paths so I can finally live where I want to live and work doing something not as sedentary. You know it's bad when you wish you worked retail again making $8/hr because at least I still had energy to come home and do the things I love to do. These days I've fallen into complete anxiety/depression about my career situation (and personal situation, I thought I'd have a house and kids by 30), probably some 30 year old midlife crisis or whatever. I make good money but I'm just pure unhappy, even if I feel like I have an amazing job.

Just curious if anybody has done or knows anybody that made the switch into a different trade or at least something still related to the entertainment industry but something a bit more physical? I've heard stories of people becoming firemen or cops or lawyers instead, but I'd love to hear any other experiences.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 6, 2017

Stuff4and5
Jul 16, 2015
Alright cool got something nice going but its single sided geometry. When I try to add thickness by using a morph target I get one side of my geometry thats completely unmovable while the other side behaves properly. Ive tried double sided it, flipping normals, I just have no idea how to get this to work. All I need is to add some thickness to this, Im suprised this is so difficult. Any ideas?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ceebee posted:

Has anybody made the transition to working outside the industry? I've been sitting in front of a computer for a good 20 years of my life and I really just don't have the patience or drive to do it any longer than I have, 7~ years in the industry so far. I still want to sculpt and create art but want to focus on the tangible side of things. It's got to the point that the money really don't mean jack poo poo to me especially considering every company that wants to hire me wants me to live in an expensive rear end region.

My original goal was to get into the industry to be able to sustain myself and a family (and live in Mass where my family is living, currently in Seattle), and unfortunately there's just not that much opportunity for me back in Mass as far as games industry goes. So I need to make the decision to switch career paths so I can finally live where I want to live and work doing something not as sedentary. You know it's bad when you wish you worked retail again making $8/hr because at least I still had energy to come home and do the things I love to do. These days I've fallen into complete anxiety/depression about my career situation (and personal situation, I thought I'd have a house and kids by 30), probably some 30 year old midlife crisis or whatever. I make good money but I'm just pure unhappy, even if I feel like I have an amazing job.

Just curious if anybody has done or knows anybody that made the switch into a different trade or at least something still related to the entertainment industry but something a bit more physical? I've heard stories of people becoming firemen or cops or lawyers instead, but I'd love to hear any other experiences.

I have. My transition wasn't away from the computer though, just to another related field. I used experience I got in CG work to do some technical work (to drive a live 3d system), and that gave me opportunities to move fully into the technical side of things. I still love the visual and tangible side of 3D work so I've made sure to stay in that as much as I can.

I work now doing AR stuff, computer vision and rendering systems, etc. My experience isn't exactly super broad in that field yet, I work at a smaller company which carries a lot of natural perks, I have more control over what kind of decisions get made, and I get poo poo on less by management and clients, and I get paid more. Overall the transition has been extremely positive for me. I had always gravitated towards the technicals of 3D work, always feeling most comfortable with modeling and obsessing over poly flow and those kinds of things, so working now on the backend building rendering systems is a ton of fun.

Most importantly though, I see a real career path with this which I never really felt doing normal CG work. I may not always be doing work relating to visual systems of some kind, but it feels like every new skill I learn increases my value to employers way more than I felt learning new artist skills did.

With regards to the general complaints of sedentary work, I feel you. But that's really just the reality we live in now. Physical jobs generally make way less money than jobs sitting in front of a computer, unless you go to a really high value trade like welding or something. But doing this kind of work doesn't keep you from taking action to improve things. Go to the gym, get a standing desk, walk to work, whatever. Something to get your blood flowing will help you feel way better. If you have depression (it sounds like you might), take decisive action to work through that. I've always suffered from bouts of depression and there are ways you can manage it with just a few simple things, assuming of course that it's not severe chronic depression.

This turned into a wall of words but hopefully it helped in some way!

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Stuff4and5 posted:

Alright cool got something nice going but its single sided geometry. When I try to add thickness by using a morph target I get one side of my geometry thats completely unmovable while the other side behaves properly. Ive tried double sided it, flipping normals, I just have no idea how to get this to work. All I need is to add some thickness to this, Im suprised this is so difficult. Any ideas?

Use the subtool-extract feature to create a new subtool where you can define the thickness

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ceebee posted:

I didn't really transition to a different industry (though I came close to enrolling back in university again) but I was having a bad time in film VFX and now do VFX stuff for commercials, print, web etc. with a small team of ex colleagues who started their own business. It's night and day as far as day-to-day work experiences and I find it a lot more flexible and enjoyable than films, even if the nature of the content you produce is not always completely inspiring. I also took a pay cut. That said I am tied to working in one of the least affordable cities in the world, no chance of owning a house in the near future. I'm 35.

With regard to the sedentary work environment, I made adjustments. I ride a bike to work (not an option for everyone, granted), I work at a standing desk so I'm constantly walking around and doing little excercises, and I go for a 10k run every day at lunchtime. After riding home at night I don't feel stiff and sore from sitting, but the good kind of sore from having at least used my body a bit. It's not the same as a day of proper manual labour but I think it's a decent accommodation.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

ceebee posted:

I moved from games to e-tail (online retail) working on 3d rendered imagery, photogrammetry, AR and VR. Coincidentally, we're hiring more artists for the 3D rendered imagery part, especially more senior folks, and we're located in Boston. If you're interested in still doing CG work, but without the weekends and overtime at a place that actually cares about it's employees and their well-being, drop me a PM. It's not the most exciting work -- no space guns or aliens or explosions -- but there's a lot of work in a good environment. I've enjoyed having the time in the evenings and weekends to do the things that I want to do, like eat dinner with my wife and have my cat recognize me as someone that actually lives in the house.

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008

Stuff4and5 posted:

You can do what EoinCannon mentioned (the subtool > extract thing) or you could also use a ZModeler brush thats been set to Extrude/QMesh since you have a clean mesh. Just make sure to set the target to be something other than a single polygon.

What you got will probably work fine, I bumped into this image a while back which looked like an interesting way to tackle flowy skirts:

The article it's from has a clearer explanation of how it works and some other uses for it. The sleeping bag bit is particularly cool, I wish I knew about it before I had to carve a sleeping bag out of a cylinder.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh god that is insanely useful

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

And the Artstation page for 'Likes': https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZWYrm

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Max can sometimes be incredibly infuriating, like apparently my install has corrupted in just the right way that it no longer remembers how to bake Heightmaps and gives a maxscript error about it. no earthly idea.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Do any of you guys have experience in producing models for 3D printing from Zbrush that could point me to a good tutorial on how to split a single model into 2 or more pieces for printing and later reassembly?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Listerine posted:

Do any of you guys have experience in producing models for 3D printing from Zbrush that could point me to a good tutorial on how to split a single model into 2 or more pieces for printing and later reassembly?

I've done this kind of stuff.

I used the the slice brushes
Then subtool > split > groups split
geometry > modify topology > close holes on each subtool

If there's any weirdness on the close hole result I would dynamesh and reproject but the close holes tool gives a nice result

http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/3d-modeling/modeling-basics/polygroups/slice-curve/

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That post reminded me of the project I did that kind of slicing on

A group of South Western Snake-Necked Turtles for a playground near Perth in Australia, they are indigenous to the lakes in that specific area apparently
Ranging from around 1m long to something like 12-15m for the mother turtle
These were all done in zbrush and cut from foam with a cnc router thing, which was used to make the moulds for jesmonite.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Holy moly thats awesome.

The new live boolean tools will be helpful for this kind of stuff too

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Holy crap, those turtle models are amazing. Great work man. Must feel awesome to have your work turn into something so large, tangible, and permanent.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Which park are they in?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They're in the Bibra Lake Regional Playground south of Perth

The last one just got installed recently, it's been cool to see kids playing on them.
Especially seeing as most of the stuff I've been doing lately are TVCs that people don't really want to see which might be on air for a few weeks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And the City of Cockburn's hilarious name rears its head again.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Holy poo poo that's awesome.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lmao how many kids can't go to the park anymore because of the scary dinosaurs??

This one here has a Shin Godzilla vibe. Crazy they approved such realistic depictions and not some cartoon characters. Great work!!

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
What are the markings of good, clean topology? More specifically, if you have a large, flat surface, how, where and how much should you split it up into smaller faces?

Super mega specifically, I started deleting parts of my Blender bowie knife mesh that seemed "unnecessary" more or less just to see what would go wrong, and I would appreciate someone telling me what, in fact, went wrong:

Reference image.

Just the mesh.

The mesh with subdivide surface modifier on and wireframe showing.

You can hopefully see that there's a weird creasing effect towards the handle, presumably because I deleted the upper edges/vertices in that area, leaving a glut of "free" vertices that "pull" the subdivided mesh towards that area. I also had problems applying edge loops to that large, upper rectangle there, presumably because my careless deletions turned it into some kind of monstrous n-gon as opposed to a quad. I'll avoid that in the future, but if I wanted to fix it in this particular example, is there a quick way to extend a severed edge loop?

And of course, is there anything else obviously wrong with what I have here?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I see several places that look like they might be ngons. Are they? General rule of thumb, if you're going to subD a mesh, don't put ngons anywhere, and keep poles hidden in smart places.

Quick and dirty pass to demonstrate quads only. You will probably be better served doing some tight edge loops in certain places, like the edge near the middle of the blade, instead of doing edge creasing. Likewise with the crease at the top of the blade, you should actually model the negative space that that represents.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 9, 2017

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Taffer posted:

I see several places that look like they might be ngons. Are they? General rule of thumb, if you're going to subD a mesh, don't put ngons anywhere, and keep poles hidden in smart places.

A face that looks like a perfect square but technically has more than 4 edges/vertices is still an ngon, right? If so then yes, there are plenty. I started off making a few on purpose as an experiment and then they sort of proliferated because I couldn't create edge loops properly and resorted to hacky fixes.

Taffer posted:

Quick and dirty pass to demonstrate quads only. You will probably be better served doing some tight edge loops in certain places, like the edge near the middle of the blade, instead of doing edge creasing. Likewise with the crease at the top of the blade, you should actually model the negative space that that represents.

My next question was going to be how to avoid tris in something like this, and that seems to be an apt demonstration. You don't even have one towards the point, do you? That's a quad with two vertices very close to one another. Is that how pointy, triangular things ought to be made?

I definitely went overboard on the edge creases, because I couldn't get edge loops to work on account of messing up the quads :v: It's still appropriate for the actual knife edge, right?

I don't entirely understand what you mean by "model the negative space" here. Are you just saying I should put the sharpness into the model using edge loops etc. rather than rely on creases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Terrorforge posted:

A face that looks like a perfect square but technically has more than 4 edges/vertices is still an ngon, right? If so then yes, there are plenty. I started off making a few on purpose as an experiment and then they sort of proliferated because I couldn't create edge loops properly and resorted to hacky fixes.

Yeah, an ngon is any face that has more than 4 edges, and it's what you should always avoid. They throw edge flow completely out of wack because under the hood they're converted into triangles, and that's what subD then acts on, which creates chaos with edges.

Terrorforge posted:

My next question was going to be how to avoid tris in something like this, and that seems to be an apt demonstration. You don't even have one towards the point, do you? That's a quad with two vertices very close to one another. Is that how pointy, triangular things ought to be made?

I definitely went overboard on the edge creases, because I couldn't get edge loops to work on account of messing up the quads :v: It's still appropriate for the actual knife edge, right?

Yeah that face at the tip is also a quad. That's one place you could maaaaybe get away with a triangle but it could give you really weird edge flow. Regarding the edge of the blade, yeah that's a place where creasing is definitely appropriate, but everywhere else you should try to do it with tight edge loops instead - if you have good topology set up initially, adding more edge loops is totally painless, because they won't create any weird situations in your edge flow.

Terrorforge posted:

I don't entirely understand what you mean by "model the negative space" here. Are you just saying I should put the sharpness into the model using edge loops etc. rather than rely on creases?

Negative space probably wasn't the word, there's a groove at the top edge of that knife and you should actually extrude some faces inwards to model that. It'll give you a more accurate look and it'll also be a way to practice handling edge flow.

It really just comes down to experience. Practice modelling different shapes. Hard edges, organic shapes, hard objects with curves, etc. Watch videos/find screenshots of experienced modelers and study how they do edge flow, and just try to emulate it. Over time it'll start to feel totally natural. And then when you feel like you know what you're doing, try to model a face :v: Besides just being an extremely difficult shape to do accurately, creating the edge flow to handle subdivision (and potentially animation) is one of the most difficult topology exercises around, along with other complex organic shapes, like a hand.