Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

axleblaze posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5aeCFSrm3I
Don't watch this if you haven't seen the movie.

Wow I literally did not remember that scene at all. Thanks, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Can we please talk about jump scares? I love them, I love being startled. Sinister and Insidious both have amazing ones, as mentioned. The Exorcist III one that always gets posted is great, but I feel like some of the power is sucked out by the false scare right before it. The only other I can think of is the velociraptor in the generator building in Jurassic Park, which is loving incredible. Any other killers?

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I really like them too. They often follow the standard - tense music / silence / false alarm / BANG format but it's great to see how different film makers handle a similar box of tricks. Whenever someone does something different, it's especially great.

The Orphanage has a good few decent jump scares. Amongst others, there are slow building ones (the old lady in the shed), outta nowhere ones (the old lady being hit by the truck) and double-hitters (the other old lady one right after she's been hit by the truck). Basically the old lady is an arsehole. The Mullholland Drive diner scene that I mentioned a few posts back is great too because he tells you exactly what's gonna happen and it plays out exactly like he said it would and you still get a fright.

tickle monster
Aug 20, 2006
is in your closet

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Can we please talk about jump scares? I love them, I love being startled. Sinister and Insidious both have amazing ones, as mentioned. The Exorcist III one that always gets posted is great, but I feel like some of the power is sucked out by the false scare right before it. The only other I can think of is the velociraptor in the generator building in Jurassic Park, which is loving incredible. Any other killers?

For me, one of the best jump scares is in Drag Me to Hell, when Christine is having her palm read. The music is absolutely perfect, and you know that it's coming, but it's slightly off cue, enough that the sudden flash of the Lamia is horrifying.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I love the jump scare in The Fourth Kind where it's got the close-up of Milla Jovovich doing her thing and then slam cuts to the hideously made up "real" woman who looks a hell of a lot like a grey. I laughed real hard immediately after I got scared.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The Ring has an amazing jump scare.

"I FOUND HER!"

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Check out the Woman in Black remake, it has a bunch of good ones. I know a lot of people here don't care for that movie, but it's one of the few jump scare heavy movies I really like.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

I love the jump scare in The Fourth Kind where it's got the close-up of Milla Jovovich doing her thing and then slam cuts to the hideously made up "real" woman who looks a hell of a lot like a grey. I laughed real hard immediately after I got scared.

I have always really loved that she kind of looks like a grey alien.

Volume posted:

Well for what it counts you were right about the second scene. I see what they were going for but there is no way you're gonna listen to a Tiny Tim song and do anything but smile goofily.

The second scene is even better than the first BECAUSE of the drat Tiny Tim song, I mean, seriously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_PLWqnfFgU

It's a sweet and cute song but totally surreal and disturbing, it couldn't be more suited to the scene or the movie. The shot where we finally see the newsboy ghost just bopping along to the song is the same way, it's the kind of thing Wan excels at. I honestly don't see how it's weak or poorly done, it's built up properly, it's not a jump scare, it shows enough but not too much, it completely bridges the first and second halves of the film.

Volume posted:

Now I'm no Roger Ebert or SuperMechaGodzilla who can write three books on why a movie is or isn't good but I want to try to do a walk through of the first scene you linked and why I personally think it's a fantastic scene.

It starts out in a pretty bland room. The walls are white, the colors are subded, the only real hint of decoration is a black and blue blot of art behind the dude's head. Right off the bat it puts you in a weird off putting mood. That mood is reinforced by the lady telling the dream in a very somber voice. Everyone's face at the table is very grave and worried and that pushes that mood onto you.

When it starts showing the dream you get this long creepy hallway that's lighted so abnormally. It seems to go on forever and the doorway at the end has this odd halo of lighting that makes it look like an arch. The whole set piece just feels wrong in your gut. Like it's not part of the normal world.

There's a very ambient score as the camera moves down the hall way. You can hear the clock ticking loudly and instead of a recognizable set of music all you hear is this sort of rushing wind that makes the place feel empty and cold.

Yes the creaking of the door is cliched but it also reinforces the idea of that emptiness in the house. It's so passive and quiet that all you can hear is the sound of the door creaking open.

When the door opens all the way and reveals the presence of the demon in the room there's a crescendo of a violin. Not a score, or scales, or a tune. Just like spastic, odd, otherworldly flail of notes that sends chills up your spine because like everything else going on it just feels off and wrong.

When they show the demon again the violin is gone. It's not the monsters theme song or his score, it's just there to spook you for that one moment. The second showing is back to that rushing wind sound and you can hear the demon cracking as it moves that, again, just makes it feel other worldly.

All that brings me to the jump scare at the end. Yes it's a jump scare but it's a well done one. You've already been put into a cold creepy fear from what just happen then you get a big bang of fright. You hear the same cracking as the previous shot before you see the demon. The sound amplifies and the demon lets out a bit of a roar. Is it a jump scare? Yes but it's a jump scare with substance. No cat meows loudly, no well meaning friend knocks loudly on the door. No wind slams shut a door. It lets you know this dream the woman is talking about is a real threat and it's right there with them at the time..

This is really good stuff, I hate when people are afraid to elaborate on their opinions.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's a sweet and cute song but totally surreal and disturbing, it couldn't be more suited to the scene or the movie. The shot where we finally see the newsboy ghost just bopping along to the song is the same way, it's the kind of thing Wan excels at. I honestly don't see how it's weak or poorly done, it's built up properly, it's not a jump scare, it shows enough but not too much, it completely bridges the first and second halves of the film.

In the same vein, the Joanna Newsom song in The Strangers is killer. I know I watched another movie around the same time that ALSO used a Newsom song but I cannot remember what it was.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Mama's got an amazing jump (it's the one from the short). The physicality of the ghost is so good, I'm seriously in love with that movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_BQarexnn0

This might be my be my favorite ever, the dumpster jump scare from Mullholland Drive pulls the same trick with someone being pulled on an invisible trolley.

The Sentinel also has an excellent one, where she wakes up, and suddenly she just sees her father, clad in underwear, just walking across the room really fast.

I honestly love jump scares too even if most of them are bad.

foodfight posted:

In the same vein, the Joanna Newsom song in The Strangers is killer. I know I watched another movie around the same time that ALSO used a Newsom song but I cannot remember what it was.

Yeah, Dark Skies jacks it directly, and I think some recent trailer used the "skipping song" to good effect but The Strangers' scene is awesome.

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
I'm not a huge fan of jumpscares most of the time, but when they're used well, they're hella fun. I really like the one near the end of [REC], the Attic Camera Sweep scare. The timing manages to catch me off guard pretty much every time. It could also be a pacing thing. Either way, it works.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

The Sentinel also has an excellent one, where she wakes up, and suddenly she just sees her father, clad in underwear, just walking across the room really fast.

I honestly love jump scares too even if most of them are bad.

Yeah, this is an extremely memorable one.

I have a soft spot for The Sentinel. It's a fun movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love the The Sentinel, it looks amazing, it has every actor in the world in it and Burgess Meredith holds it down. It's not a truly great movie like Rosemary's Baby but it's such a curiosity.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I remember there being a particularly good one in The Descent, when the cave creatures show up for the first time.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I think Insidious is pretty good, but each third weaker than the one before it. I love the ghostbusters* and gasmask middle just didn't like the possessed child physically tossing everyone around the room, for a movie so intent on avoiding cliches that "backland slap and fly" just felt too familiar. And I love the idea of the last third dream state and certain parts of it, but didn't like the execution as a boss rush mode. Someone who didn't like the movie mentioned the smiling family was the only thing they found scary, but I think removing them is the easiest way to make that sequence feel more mysterious, with dangers lurking behind every corner.

*And how one of them was introduced eating a hotpocket, so either he was riding around in the van hotpocket in hand waiting until he got to house to eat it probably cold now, or he was carrying a frozen one that he immediately heated up with their microwave before even talking to them. Either possibility sufficiently weird enough to be charming.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Skywalker OG posted:

Just finished Sinister and god what a piece of poo poo that was. The music and some of the camera work were great, but it was filled with jumpscares and children -wastes of time - that killed the movie for me.

Too many children and jump scares in my horror movie. RUINED.

Jump scare means I repost this forever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH8ynu0jRvY

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've honestly really started hating jump scares because they're really predictable after awhile. I like it when they come organically from the film but most jump scares are more about the film maker making the movie really quiet and then playing a really loud noise than they are about showing something that's actually scary. I'm impressed when one can sneak up on me at this point and I give those credit but like there are movies where the scare is way more about the soundtrack than anything else. One of the reason I think I like found footage so much is because those movies are way more likely to just use natural sounds, which means they can't rely as much on the audio for the scares.

Most of the ones I consider great have been mentioned though. I already posted my favorite, which is Enter the Void. In general I think that shot in Enter the Void my be the best cut between two shots I've ever seen in a film and it does alot to firmly establish the kind of nightmare we're going to be stuck in for the next hour or so.

I really hated Woman in Black because it was nothing but lovely jump scares BUT it did have one really good one where he puts his hand on a window and his reflection becomes the woman.

I also mentioned the big one in Sinister and I have no idea why that one was so effective. It follows all the rules I just said were bad but I guess it does pay off with something really horrific.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
My favorite jump scares are the ones that nothing actually jumps, but there is an unexpected image that makes your heart sink. The ones that really are effective for me not only make me jump, but have an aftereffect of giving me chills.

I'm having a hard time thinking of one.

Oh wait, in Ju-On when you see the woman's silhouette in the window above the stairs.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Parachute posted:

Jump scare means I repost this forever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH8ynu0jRvY

I was going to post this one. The guy behind me at the theatre started to hyperventilate after this happened. It's on my list of favourite theatre experiences (the guy was just fine afterwards, he just wasn't ready for it).

degauss
Aug 28, 2007

When I get sad, I
stop being sad and
be AWESOME instead.

True story.

tickle monster posted:

For me, one of the best jump scares is in Drag Me to Hell, when Christine is having her palm read. The music is absolutely perfect, and you know that it's coming, but it's slightly off cue, enough that the sudden flash of the Lamia is horrifying.

There's another superb jump scare in Drag Me to Hell which I think probably the best jump scare I've ever seen (I normally hate them for how cheap they are, although they work in silly stuff like DMTH). As I recall, there's a scene that pretty much ends with a jump scare, then the next scene begins. Near enough as soon as it starts, Christine pulls back a curtain, absolutely no build-up, and WHAM JUMP SCARE. It's brilliant because that's just not how jump scares are usually paced, and you rarely get one at the very beginning of a scene (I personally can't think of any other examples of this). I wish Sam Raimi would do more horror.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

I almost forgot the dream sequence from American Werewolf in London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0wShZqevLU

that one's awesome.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I have no problem with jump scares except for the most over-used jump scare used over the past few years where the camera puts you in the passenger seat and the driver (normally the protagonist or if they're being REALLY tricky the antagonist) gets blindsided.

That is so cheap and overused now that any time I'm watching a scene where we see somebody from that angle, I'm waiting for it, no matter what the movie or genre.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

InfiniteZero posted:

I have no problem with jump scares except for the most over-used jump scare used over the past few years where the camera puts you in the passenger seat and the driver (normally the protagonist or if they're being REALLY tricky the antagonist) gets blindsided.

That is so cheap and overused now that any time I'm watching a scene where we see somebody from that angle, I'm waiting for it, no matter what the movie or genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC6ChpMjAZI&t=35s

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I love the The Sentinel, it looks amazing, it has every actor in the world in it and Burgess Meredith holds it down. It's not a truly great movie like Rosemary's Baby but it's such a curiosity.

I mean, who can't appreciate a surprise Goldblum.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

The only jump scare I remember getting me (aside from all those terrible screamers in middle school), was in Jurassic Park III where the raptors come out of no where in the forest. Not a good film though.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Parachute posted:

Too many children and jump scares in my horror movie. RUINED.

I know what I wrote, but the whole ending of that movie is poo poo. Just poo poo.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I feel like the only one that loved the ending to Sinister :(

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think I never gave Sinister a fair chance since it stars Ethan Hawke and the demon is so full of baditude.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

That one BUGGED ME OUT when I was a kid. It reminds me of The Shining blowjob one, it just has this deep wrongness to it.

schwenz posted:

My favorite jump scares are the ones that nothing actually jumps, but there is an unexpected image that makes your heart sink. The ones that really are effective for me not only make me jump, but have an aftereffect of giving me chills.

Oh wait, in Ju-On when you see the woman's silhouette in the window above the stairs.

What about when you see the woman under the sink in A Tale of Two Sisters?

penismightier fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 17, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

schwenz posted:

The painting in Black Swan.

Mostly, though, "jump scare" is a misnomer because you aren't being scared at all. You're being startled, which produces the same adrenaline rush as fear. This allows directors who lack the ability to evoke genuine fear or unease to confuse the audience into thinking they're watching a horror movie.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

axleblaze posted:

Sometimes I feel like the only one that loved the ending to Sinister :(

You and me both.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

penismightier posted:

That one BUGGED ME OUT when I was a kid. It reminds me of The Shining blowjob one, it just has this deep wrongness to it.

It's so startling, it almost works better out of context.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Mostly, though, "jump scare" is a misnomer because you aren't being scared at all. You're being startled, which produces the same adrenaline rush as fear. This allows directors who lack the ability to evoke genuine fear or unease to confuse the audience into thinking they're watching a horror movie.

That's the thing, most jump scares are just tricks of loud noises rather than anything actually scary. The original Alien gets two scares with a cat. Jump scares are startling but they only really stay with you when they have something to back it up. Like the shot in the original Jurassic Park of the Raptor coming through the wall works so well because it's startling AND it's a great image. The one that I keep going on about in Enter the Void works so well because it really establishes the nightmare logic the movie is going to devolve into. The one in Sinister is the most disturbing image in the whole film. There's also one I like in Gremlins 2 and in that one it's a bit of a misdirect because it's the first shot of a Gremlin in the film but it's also like the only real scare in the entire film.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

penismightier posted:

What about when you see the woman under the sink in A Tale of Two Sisters?

Oh god yes

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
'One jump scare' movies tend to be able to send me into a panic and be excellent horrors besides. Maybe more filmmakers need to jump on that limit, so we get more Exorcist IIIs and Lake Mungos.

Man Exorcist III owns.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Violen posted:

Man Exorcist III owns.

It really does - especially this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXLg3VRiAM0

Can anyone suggest other horror movies that have intense conversations like this?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Parachute posted:

It really does - especially this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXLg3VRiAM0

Can anyone suggest other horror movies that have intense conversations like this?

If you've never seen the X-Files episode "Beyond the Sea," you are in for a big treat.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

penismightier posted:

If you've never seen the X-Files episode "Beyond the Sea," you are in for a big treat.

I haven't seen this or "Eyes of Laura Mars" which I am just learning about right now. I think I will check both out very soon.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Jedit posted:

The painting in Black Swan.

Developing a checklist of Do's and Don'ts to the genre in an attempt to differentiate what is good or bad horror is just a misguided attempt to establish yourself as some sort of connoisseur in a genre that really doesn't need any.

Jump Scares have been around since the beginning, and are used to elicit a response from the audience. They in no way cheapen a film. It's possible to not use the technique effectively, but using jump-scares does not immediately establish the film as sub-par.

It's like saying the GCD chord combination is to easy to write a good song with, and is overused, therefore all songs using that chord progression from now on will be deemed cheap and stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

It's so startling, it almost works better out of context.

The entire scene is amazing.