Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone have experience with Audi a7? I think I’d want a post refresh gen 1 (so 2015 onwards).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

the C7.5 platform w/ 3.0 is generally regarded as Audi's most reliable (or least problematic), fwiw

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Russian Bear posted:

Anyone have experience with Audi a7? I think I’d want a post refresh gen 1 (so 2015 onwards).

I have the C7.5 S7 and it's delightful. Great level of toys and you can unlock Android Auto/Apple CarPlay with a cheap SD card off eBay.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The rear window rubber on my 2004 VW R32 is cracked to hell. I can't really seem to find replacements, which seems weird because I'm assuming it's the same part for any Mk. IV GTI. Are those rubber pieces VW parts or is this the sort of thing you take to a "window guy" and there's just generic rubber whatever that they shove in there? I know nothing about this aspect of car windows.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Looking at winter tires for my Alltrack now that I live in Alaska. Does anyone have experience running 16" wheels during the winter vs 17" in the summer? It's a lot cheaper on Tire Rack, especially since they'll sell me ugly steel rims in that size vs only selling nice 17" rims.

I'm also willing to entertain arguments about the virtues of studded tires from people who've run both studded and studless before.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

lavaca posted:

Looking at winter tires for my Alltrack now that I live in Alaska. Does anyone have experience running 16" wheels during the winter vs 17" in the summer? It's a lot cheaper on Tire Rack, especially since they'll sell me ugly steel rims in that size vs only selling nice 17" rims.

I'm also willing to entertain arguments about the virtues of studded tires from people who've run both studded and studless before.

Yes going down in wheel size and going steelies is the normal thing. Make sure they clear your brake calipers, if you're putting your car into tire rack it should be fine to get whatever it suggests for steelies. I don't know how many people here live someplace like Alaska so you're probably better off asking your neighbors what they run in the winter as far as studded tires.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I ran studless when I lived in NH, as far as I was told, tore technology has advanced far enough that you won't need studs unless you're in the worst of it or in heavily icy areas

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

lavaca posted:

Yes I used 16" steelies on mine with Blizzaks.

If you look back through my posts in this thread you should find some photos.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Theophany posted:

I have the C7.5 S7 and it's delightful. Great level of toys and you can unlock Android Auto/Apple CarPlay with a cheap SD card off eBay.

Anything out of the ordinary maintenance wise that you’ve encountered?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

rope kid posted:

The rear window rubber on my 2004 VW R32 is cracked to hell. I can't really seem to find replacements, which seems weird because I'm assuming it's the same part for any Mk. IV GTI. Are those rubber pieces VW parts or is this the sort of thing you take to a "window guy" and there's just generic rubber whatever that they shove in there? I know nothing about this aspect of car windows.

I would definitely check around town for something like that first. I tend to do that in general these days though.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Russian Bear posted:

Anything out of the ordinary maintenance wise that you’ve encountered?

I took a sawzall to the centre muffler because it was too quiet, but other than that it's just been oil changes for the 18 months I've had it. My last five years of cars have been a 2016 S5, 2016 RS6 Avant, 2012 A6 Avant and now the S7 and not a single thing has gone sideways, so I'm firmly in the Audi camp for the foreseeable future.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Theophany posted:

I took a sawzall to the centre muffler because it was too quiet, but other than that it's just been oil changes for the 18 months I've had it. My last five years of cars have been a 2016 S5, 2016 RS6 Avant, 2012 A6 Avant and now the S7 and not a single thing has gone sideways, so I'm firmly in the Audi camp for the foreseeable future.

what was going from an RS6 to an A6 like?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Ok Comboomer posted:

what was going from an RS6 to an A6 like?

Not massive when you're doing your daily commute and everything is where you expect it to be. The 3.0 TFSI was a sturdy engine and got a fair bit of extra gumption with a remap, but when you wanted to just utterly smoke 95% of other cars on the road it felt like the opposite of winning the lottery lol.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I have a B9 Audi. When jacking up the car, where do you put the stands since there doesn’t seem to be enough room at the jack points for the jack and the stands?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Do not use this as the answer but I have been taught to find the thick part of the under frame nearest/near the jackpoint and that’s a fairly safe bet.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Same issue in my mk5 GTI, the rails are covered in plastic for aero or something.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dialhforhero posted:

Do not use this as the answer but I have been taught to find the thick part of the under frame nearest/near the jackpoint and that’s a fairly safe bet.

So are crossmembers, generally. Especially where they attach to the unibody rails/frame.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Same issue in my mk5 GTI, the rails are covered in plastic for aero or something.

I hate engine and underbody cowlings.

Nice for catching a tool you dropped. Bad for all the drat camlocks and poo poo to undo just to get to an oil filter and drain plug.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Alltrack is still waiting on a new headboard but by jokingly asking for an RS6 the maintenance manager bumped me up on a loaner. Ask me for a Taos trip report in a couple days.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mr. Apollo posted:

I have a B9 Audi. When jacking up the car, where do you put the stands since there doesn’t seem to be enough room at the jack points for the jack and the stands?

Invest in a set of ramps, IMO. If nothing else it gives you more room at the front to find a jack point and then you can move the ramps and put jack stands where they should go. I had rhino ramps but noticed they had cracked a bit (they're plastic) after 10-15 years of use. Most vehicles I've had needed lower profile ramps just to get up on, but this is only a problem with lowish vehicles or ones that have huge overhangs.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Well Played Mauer posted:

Alltrack is still waiting on a new headboard but by jokingly asking for an RS6 the maintenance manager bumped me up on a loaner. Ask me for a Taos trip report in a couple days.

I was given the new Taos. I am returning it tomorrow actually.

It's not terrible. I hate SUVs and Crossovers because I'm a hatchback/wagon fan. But if I HAD to I could settle on the Taos. The engine is a bit anemic but it could be due to keeping it on "Economy" mode the whole time. But I would expect that from a Crossover. I think my biggest 'beef' with it is that the frame is just too drat wide.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

dialhforhero posted:

It's not terrible. I hate SUVs and Crossovers because I'm a hatchback/wagon fan. But if I HAD to I could settle on the Taos. The engine is a bit anemic but it could be due to keeping it on "Economy" mode the whole time. But I would expect that from a Crossover. I think my biggest 'beef' with it is that the frame is just too drat wide.

I was given an atlas as a loaner and I despised it, it seemed way too big coming from my GTI.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

dialhforhero posted:

I’m gonna take it on a weekend vacation with the fam this week. I anticipate it’ll be a nice ride with a good cabin experience. Boring engines on crossovers are to be expected but it’ll probably be much nicer than our Kia Sorento.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Well Played Mauer posted:

I’m gonna take it on a weekend vacation with the fam this week. I anticipate it’ll be a nice ride with a good cabin experience. Boring engines on crossovers are to be expected but it’ll probably be much nicer than our Kia Sorento.

I took it on a 9 hour trip each way and it was comfortable. The best part about it is that you can still park in some of the smaller gaps because it's really like a close size length wise to a Golf or Wagen.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
My Alltrack was about 10k mi overdue on its haldex service, so I drained the rear differential, took off the haldex pump and cleared the screen, popped it back in with new seals, and added about half as much new haldex clutch fluid as I thought it would take.

I cracked the drain plug again real quick to check and yep, nothing came out. I'm a dumbass, and that differential is completely dry. Removing the pump drained enough fluid from the haldex that it consumed some from the bottle, but I was suspicious that it took so much less than the stated quantity. Glad I caught my mistake before putting it back on the ground!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

On the way back from a doctor’s appointment this morning I came across an accident, a Deep Blue Pearl 2004 R32 that had rear-ended an SUV. The entire front of the car was crumpled. I rolled by in my Black Magic Pearl and rubbernecked like I have never rubbernecked before. :rip: to 1 of 2000.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 3, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

NoWake posted:

My Alltrack was about 10k mi overdue on its haldex service, so I drained the rear differential, took off the haldex pump and cleared the screen, popped it back in with new seals, and added about half as much new haldex clutch fluid as I thought it would take.

I cracked the drain plug again real quick to check and yep, nothing came out. I'm a dumbass, and that differential is completely dry. Removing the pump drained enough fluid from the haldex that it consumed some from the bottle, but I was suspicious that it took so much less than the stated quantity. Glad I caught my mistake before putting it back on the ground!

I just did the service on my transmission and diff in the 4000 Quattro, was only slightly low but that damned fill plug acted like it was going to be a pain. Thankfully came out.

Also - saw your post in the GTI-R-GLI group.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 3, 2023

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

rope kid posted:

On the way back from a doctor’s appointment this morning I came across an accident, a Deep Blue Pearl 2004 R32 that had rear-ended an SUV. The entire front of the car was crumpled. I rolled by in my Black Magic Pearl and rubbernecked like I have never rubbernecked before. :rip: to 1 of 2000.

:negative:

1 more out of my potential pool gone :smith:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

rope kid posted:

😔

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Officially got the Alltrack back today. The new headliner took forever to come in but now the whole thing is replaced and they cleaned the moonroof drains. Survived a rainstorm without leakage so I’ll take it.

Glad to have it back. Now that’s gotten a clean bill of health from the dealer I’m gonna stage 1 this thing.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Nice. I have my Sportwagen back and I am also pumped.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

How crazy would I be to contemplate purchasing a eurovan weekender?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

c355n4 posted:

I mean, it's the closest thing you can buy to the old Vanagon. Unless you just buy an old Vanagon.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Are the transmissions truly as bad as they are made out to be?

There is a local one to me listed for like $11k.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

c355n4 posted:

it’s cool, but know that it will never be Vanagon Cool

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

it’s cool, but know that it will never be Vanagon Cool

Very true, I can't afford the vanagon tax though.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

rope kid posted:

I'll be inheriting my mom's 2004 Black Magic Pearl here soon. Very excited for it. She just never drives it anymore and it needs to a good home.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I wanna date your R32 owning mom

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Ok Comboomer posted:

I wanna date your R32 owning mom

I <3 wookies too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Christ. New headliner is great but the person that put it on forgot to glue or improperly installed the plastic cowl behind the rear view mirror, so it rattles when I go over bumps. Back to the shop we go.