Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

A button sounds dangerous and too easy to activate.

Keep a glock up there. Shoot the window out as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

there wolf posted:

Not going to post the shower pick where they had to tile some of those weird slopes?

Also incredible

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also incredible

I think there was a lovecraft story about a house with weird, nonsensical angular bulges. Oh, right, The Dreams in the Witch House.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dreams_in_the_Witch_House

quote:

Walter Gilman, a student of mathematics and folklore at Miskatonic University, rents an attic room in the "Witch House," a house in Arkham that is rumored to be cursed. The first part of the story is an account of the house's history. The house once harboured Keziah Mason, an accused witch who disappeared mysteriously from a Salem jail in 1692. Gilman discovers that, for the better part of two centuries, many of the attic's occupants have died prematurely. The dimensions of Gilman's attic room are unusual and seem to conform to a kind of unearthly geometry. Gilman theorizes that the structure can enable travel from one plane or dimension to another.

Stay safe, Mcmansion ghost.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Credit where it's due, that looks like a very decent tiling job considering the geometry.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also incredible

That mural is painfully ugly but I guess it has already been established that McMansion Blogger actually has pretty bad taste.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Leperflesh posted:

I wonder if you can get house windows made of safety glass.

All windows near glass doors (and the doors themselves obv) have to be safety glass in our code.
It makes putting a dog door in quite expensive.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

beep-beep car is go posted:

"Okay dear today...". *sees button slaps it*

*BANG*

(One week later to repair window)

"Okay now that the wins--"

*slaps button, giggles*

*BANG*

Etc etc
Maybe you could try some tape?

Jerry Cotton posted:

That mural is painfully ugly but I guess it has already been established that McMansion Blogger actually has pretty bad taste.
To be fair, I think that the mural is technically well executed but a gross ugly idea. I think a mural of a garden trellis on your bathroom wall is a bad idea, but if you're getting on that's probably as well done as you can ask. Just like putting a shower in that geometry is terrible, but whoever was tiling seems to have actually done the best job you could expect.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

I think her point is that the work is quality even if the subject matter is dated and trite. Just look at the point where the trellis on the wall over the mirror lines up with the reflection of the trellis on the opposing wall reflected in the mirror. That's an attention to detail you never see in this crap.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
As I was leaving the neighborhood this morning, I saw a lady cutting tile on a wet saw in her driveway.
She was wearing shorts/flip flops, didn't have eye protection, and had her long hair dangling over the cutting field of the saw as she was cutting a tile. Looked like a good way to get scalped

I didn't see ear protection (might have had plugs) but with how loud and terrible those things are I don't know how you could stand being around them without ear pro unless you were literally deaf.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
My university delivers again.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

knowonecanknow posted:

My university delivers again.

I've seen actual commercial kits that look just like that, intended to allow for an unusual combination of things in one box where finding a correctly matching panel may be impossible. That said a standard light switch with two blank spaces does seem like a stupid place to use them.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

wolrah posted:

I've seen actual commercial kits that look just like that, intended to allow for an unusual combination of things in one box where finding a correctly matching panel may be impossible. That said a standard light switch with two blank spaces does seem like a stupid place to use them.

That might be the correct set of parts, but leaving out a screw, using the wrong color switch, and not lining things up makes it look far worse than it should.

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010
Had to replace a spotlight yesterday and thought it'd be an easy 1 for 1, until I got a good look at what the existing one was sitting on.

Yes, that's five (5) consecutive adapters taking a 2" pipe all the way down to 1/2". As I was taking out the old fixture (not pictured) the hot wire came out of the splice, all of which are extremely conveniently located underneath the Matryoshka tower. Decided this was too much to be doing in the rain so I left it for today.

Got there today, did some digging around the glue stack pipe, and, well.

HEY IF THE WHOLE THING IS A SLEEVED PIECE ANYWAY WHY THE gently caress NOT JUST A 1/2" PVC?

(The wire was coming out of a piece of 1/2" before going into this sleeve so I just extended that proper into a box with new support. Much less glue and just 1 adapter needed.)

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I feel like this is a bad idea
https://imgur.com/5GrK1VR

This window is three storys up fwiw,. 18" high from the floor, simple screen stopping some kid or drunk from going right out.

Folly Beach SC.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mercury Ballistic posted:

This window is three storys up fwiw,. 18" high from the floor, simple screen stopping some kid or drunk from going right out.

Folly Beach SC.

Why did I just start hearing Tears in Heaven?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
If you're dumb enough to fall out of that it's just fate.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/qrIJyor.gifv

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum

M... maybe it's not meant to rotate, and it's just getting caught by the wind? :shobon:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

"Every 11 seconds of every day, constantly, right outside my apartment. wham. wham. wham. wham."

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
Strong pole.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

akadajet posted:

lol the comments on this video about installing recessed lighting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wf1Pk_yqwU

people are telling him it's a bad idea to gently caress with the mains and he's losing his poo poo

lmao.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

See, there's the obvious "his and hers" joke, but I like to think that instead they have an emergency backup toilet because they clog the normal one so often.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

At my old job we called outhouses like that "Pilot/Copilot." Sometimes you just end up on the same schedule with a friend and just share a magazine.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Why would they leave it on once they saw it was doing that?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MillennialVulcan posted:

"Work order says install it here and turn it on. It's installed and turning, anything more is not my problem."

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

MillennialVulcan posted:

Probably because the company charges for 'moving advertising billboard for increased visibility'.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Maybe you could try some tape?

To be fair, I think that the mural is technically well executed but a gross ugly idea. I think a mural of a garden trellis on your bathroom wall is a bad idea, but if you're getting on that's probably as well done as you can ask. Just like putting a shower in that geometry is terrible, but whoever was tiling seems to have actually done the best job you could expect.

there wolf posted:

I think her point is that the work is quality even if the subject matter is dated and trite. Just look at the point where the trellis on the wall over the mirror lines up with the reflection of the trellis on the opposing wall reflected in the mirror. That's an attention to detail you never see in this crap.

I think you two have never seen what a good painter does.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's a loving mcmansion, not the mural room at the white house ya drat snob. The bar starts at cheap hotel art and goes down.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Cartoon posted:

Probably because the company charges for 'moving advertising billboard for increased visibility'.

I mean, it's hard to argue that it's not getting that considering we just watched it on the internet.

We just went to a local bar the other day where my wife informed me they have the same toilet setup.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

oppa sochi style

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Cartoon posted:

To be fair, none of us would have seen the ad if it was turned off immediately.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I mean if you have seen higher quality bathroom murals please feel free to share them, 90% of indoor murals I have ever seen fall between 'painfully bad' and 'seriously unsettling' - I was in a house in Florida once where they had tried to paint fun characters in the kids room and it was like an It cameo in there. If you told me someone was putting a garden mural in their bathroom, that is about as good as I think you could get.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Ashcans posted:

I was in a house in Florida

I think that explains everything.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ashcans posted:

I mean if you have seen higher quality bathroom murals please feel free to share them, 90% of indoor murals I have ever seen fall between 'painfully bad' and 'seriously unsettling' - I was in a house in Florida once where they had tried to paint fun characters in the kids room and it was like an It cameo in there. If you told me someone was putting a garden mural in their bathroom, that is about as good as I think you could get.

To be fair, the bathroom mural painter had it easier since they didn't try any faces. Mural painters seem universally terrible at faces.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Facebook Aunt posted:

To be fair, the bathroom mural painter had it easier since they didn't try any faces. Mural painters seem universally terrible at faces.

I think it's that faces are one of the hardest things to depict since, and thus where it becomes obvious that you're dealing with a bargain bin artist.

Ashcans posted:

... I was in a house in Florida once where they had tried to paint fun characters in the kids room and it was like an It cameo in there. If you told me someone was putting a garden mural in their bathroom, that is about as good as I think you could get.

I read a comic a while back with a secret society that creates superheroes using some serum that only works right if there are huge amounts of stress hormones or whatever they are in the person's system. So they pump candidates full of LSD and lock them in a room with weird creepy murals designed to cause the mother of all bad trips. That's basically what I'm imagining here.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 10, 2017

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Facebook Aunt posted:

To be fair, the bathroom mural painter had it easier since they didn't try any feces. Mural painters seem universally terrible at feces.

FTFY

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Folly Beach SC.

Old houses with original windows (well replacement windows, but original proportions) are awesome, not crappy, and fall hazards can be mitigated with a guard or gate that screws into the casing. Also an option: slide the screen up and open them from the top. Harrumph.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

In my experience you don't actually have a single mural painter. You get an artist to come in and design the piece and sketch it out on the wall, then you get a group of your friends/volunteers to come in and fill it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
So, some friends of mine recently bought a house. Most of the house is in decent shape, the porch on the rear of the house needs a new roof. But when you go into the back hallway....

What's this? Oh, that's just the entrance to the basement.

There's even a handy chain to keep the door up! Worth noting that this is just a gaping open hole in the hallway when open.