Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont what what to do with it

You are an enlightened student, to have grasped the nature of Dominions so quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gabriel Pope posted:

You are an enlightened student, to have grasped the nature of Dominions so quickly.

I just started a map, then put points on stuff in the god creating screen

Then first I was kinda shocked by how bad it looks (but I can get used to it, I suppose). Then I randomly got lost on the interface for a while. Finally I managed to learn how to move my armies and end turn and got to some battles Im not surte I won or lost or why

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Elias_Maluco posted:

Then first I was kinda shocked by how bad it looks (but I can get used to it, I suppose). Then I randomly got lost on the interface for a while. Finally I managed to learn how to move my armies and end turn and got to some battles Im not surte I won or lost or why

Perfect, you're basically a master already.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

you might think that people are being flippant but they aren't. this game is weird and fucky, even the devs don't know how parts of it work.

edit: jump into irc we'll help you out

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Elias_Maluco posted:

6 years later, and I still don't know as much as this young neophyte. The student quickly became a master :worship:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

So, I got this on the steam sale

Looks like the most complex game ever. I dont what what to do with it

Play the tutorial first.

"What tutorial", you will say, "there is no tutorial in the main menu!"

Well, the game is more old school than that. There is a tutorial, but it's in the manual. So read it, and follow the steps of the tutorial part.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Don't bother with the tutorial IMO. You can pick stuff up by just messing around.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Turin Turambar posted:

Play the tutorial first.

"What tutorial", you will say, "there is no tutorial in the main menu!"

Well, the game is more old school than that. There is a tutorial, but it's in the manual. So read it, and follow the steps of the tutorial part.

Alright, I will. Where is the manual, by the way?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

"Enjoy"

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Elias_Maluco posted:

Just FYI, the manual is written by someone that does not develop the game, some of it is right, some of it is somewhat right, and some of it is outright wrong.

Your best bet is to pick an era and a nation, then jump into IRC and ask someone how to play as them.

Playing the AI sucks, they don't understand how to use magic and a lot of other stuff. Best bet is to play a little against the AI to get used to the GUI, then join an MP game as a nation, then go back and play the first 10-15 turns against the AI repeatedly with that nation until you figure out how to do well and ask questions while doing so.

Past the first year or so, the AI will just throw increasing larger armies at you with minimal positioning and scripting, so you can run them over with certain nations, hence being boring and bad.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
WTF this thing has 454 pages????

EDIT:

MF_James posted:

Just FYI, the manual is written by someone that does not develop the game, some of it is right, some of it is somewhat right, and some of it is outright wrong.

Your best bet is to pick an era and a nation, then jump into IRC and ask someone how to play as them.

Playing the AI sucks, they don't understand how to use magic and a lot of other stuff. Best bet is to play a little against the AI to get used to the GUI, then join an MP game as a nation, then go back and play the first 10-15 turns against the AI repeatedly with that nation until you figure out how to do well and ask questions while doing so.

Past the first year or so, the AI will just throw increasing larger armies at you with minimal positioning and scripting, so you can run them over with certain nations, hence being boring and bad.

So this is more of a MP game? No good single player experience? Im not really a MP kinda of person

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I mean you can play SP if you want, but each game will essentially be the same because the AI doesn't know how to use 70% of the games abilities.

MP isn't a traditional MP experience, it's not hotseat style, you sign up for a game with X number of players, once the game starts you will typically have 24 hours to take each turn, everyone takes their turns and submits them in that 24hr period, then the server calcs out all the stuff for that turn once the final person has submitted or the timer has run out, and it flips to the next turn ad infinitum.

Elias_Maluco posted:

for reference, I have never once looked at the manual and I've been playing since dom4 came out. I have also never won a game, so take that as you will :)

The stuff below will be useful once you get into the game a bit more:

This is a searchable database of everything in the game (spells, units, items etc) https://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

the IRC channel also has some commands that will be useful, such as, ?to ?rp (shows TurnOrder and ResearchPoints respectively) I'm sure there are others, but those are really good since I don't believe turn order is really laid out anywhere else and is somewhat important once you get into the game a bit more.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 27, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Elias_Maluco posted:

So, I got this on the steam sale

Looks like the most complex game ever. I dont what what to do with it

Get a refund before you play for 2 hours or be imprisoned with Dominions 4 for eternity and a day.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I don't mind singleplayer for a goofy romp, but yeah, you're going to have a hard time getting your money's worth out of SP alone (although if you bought it on sale that's not quite so bad.)

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

It is fun to read the lore and look at the different nations and forge magical poo poo and cast magical spells but the AI acts unpredictably, uses primarily human wave tactics, and is easily baited. What AI is good in a complex strategy game though? You could get your moneys worth if you enjoy it, if not, get your money back.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Learn from my experiences:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734584&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post453448630

then win four games.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

MF_James posted:

I mean you can play SP if you want, but each game will essentially be the same because the AI doesn't know how to use 70% of the games abilities.

MP isn't a traditional MP experience, it's not hotseat style, you sign up for a game with X number of players, once the game starts you will typically have 24 hours to take each turn, everyone takes their turns and submits them in that 24hr period, then the server calcs out all the stuff for that turn once the final person has submitted or the timer has run out, and it flips to the next turn ad infinitum.

for reference, I have never once looked at the manual and I've been playing since dom4 came out. I have also never won a game, so take that as you will :)

The stuff below will be useful once you get into the game a bit more:

This is a searchable database of everything in the game (spells, units, items etc) https://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

the IRC channel also has some commands that will be useful, such as, ?to ?rp (shows TurnOrder and ResearchPoints respectively) I'm sure there are others, but those are really good since I don't believe turn order is really laid out anywhere else and is somewhat important once you get into the game a bit more.

I guess that's why windowed is the default mode, so people can play with the manual and a browser open

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

It also isn't good!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

I guess that's why windowed is the default mode, so people can play with the manual and a browser open

Dominions 3 had a similarly huge manual. And back then when I found out about Dom3, it was only possible for me to buy the game directly. So I got a package one day with a CD and 300+ pages in a ringbinder.

I never even got to read that thing completely, I gave it to a friend who wanted to try out the game and I forgot about it. I think she still has the CD and the book somewhere, if I ever get back in touch I should remember to ask her about it.

Back on topic, you can buy a hardcover-version of the Dom4-manual. Essentially you pay money to get a fancier manual without search function, but on the other hand you don't have to play in windowed mode anymore

Except if your desk is to small for that fat gently caress of a book, in this case you're out of luck.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
At least half of the manual is dry documentation of numbers behind the magic, and large parts of the rest are forgettable. Once you get the interface and the basics of battle/recruitment there are really only like 10-20 pages you will ever need.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
http://lparchive.org/Dominions-3-(by-Lilli-et-al)/

Here is a more actually useful thing for new players. Most of it still applies!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well, apart from a few key bits of battlemagic.

And everything to do with gemgens.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im scared

MF_James
May 8, 2008

There are a few LPs floating around (they are linked in IRC as soon as you login) that might be helpful, they won't answer UI questions, but it will give you an idea of what people do with their nations from a starting build point of view (bless/scales/awake expander) and then the kind of flow that a game can take, what research goals they're going for based on the mages they have etc.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Elias_Maluco posted:

EDIT:

So this is more of a MP game? No good single player experience? Im not really a MP kinda of person

personally i think the SP in this game is the worst in any strategy game i can think of. you could still probably have some fun with it, but the game really shines when playing against other people. i would recommend giving MP a shot, the sa community is pretty laid back w/r/t this game.

MF_James posted:

There are a few LPs floating around (they are linked in IRC as soon as you login) that might be helpful, they won't answer UI questions, but it will give you an idea of what people do with their nations from a starting build point of view (bless/scales/awake expander) and then the kind of flow that a game can take, what research goals they're going for based on the mages they have etc.

yeah it's bizarre to me how poorly set up this game is. "make your god, it's important and changes how your nation plays" "oh you don't know all the nations by heart? lol get hosed" "oh you also don't have all the spells memorized??? gently caress you"

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Go on IRC and ask questions. Cannot emphasize this enough. People will gladly answer all of your questions and also heckle you a little bit.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It's okay to be scared.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

On the bright side, if there's an influx of new players due to the sale, another newbie game will probably go up. Then you can all be scared together. :v:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

How are u posted:

Go on IRC and ask questions. Cannot emphasize this enough. People will gladly answer all of your questions and also heckle you a little bit.

I havent used IRC in ages. Is there a client in game or something?

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

personally i think the SP in this game is the worst in any strategy game i can think of. you could still probably have some fun with it, but the game really shines when playing against other people. i would recommend giving MP a shot, the sa community is pretty laid back w/r/t this game.

Oh boy, I knew Ive should have read more about it before buying, drat sales. How long does an MP game lasts, in average?

EDIT: vvvvvvvvvvv PBEM right? My problem with MP would be having to find people to play in the same hours that I do etc. If its PBEM, it would be easier

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 27, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

Oh boy, I knew Ive should have read more about it before buying, drat sales. How long does an MP game lasts, in average?
Months :shepface:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

EDIT: vvvvvvvvvvv PBEM right? My problem with MP would be having to find people to play in the same hours that I do etc. If its PBEM, it would be easier

Yes. We use dedicated servers but the idea is the same, just easier on the players. Really you just have to do one turn per day, at any point, and games usually slow to one turn every 2-3 days in the later game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's one of those things where you can hang out in the irc with us horrible, horrible people and take your turn every now and then when it comes up

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah games last anywhere from 1-4 months (typically 2-3), you will spend a few minutes per turn, which will get a bit longer as the game goes on, but it also depends on the nation you are using.

It's really not bad, just stick to 2-3 games at a time, make sure they're all in different "stages" of the game. I also use OneNote (got it free..) to keep information about each game so I don't have to remember everything, such as NAP/Alliance info, overall plan/strategy, and then some specific stuff like province 123 has X magic site or silly poo poo like that.

This is a VERY easy game to MP, at most you'll spend 20-30 minutes and that's in complex situations where you've got 60 mages to script plus raiding armies etc.

Also, as far as IRC, I just use mibbit, no client as it's web based, and you can easily login from phone or computer. Everyone is also very helpful in the IRC channel and will answer 99% of your questions.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Elias_Maluco posted:

nah just use mibbit from any modern browser. it's linked in the op i think.

Elias_Maluco posted:

it's a bad, clusterfuck of a game for sure, but there's nothing quite like it. i don't regret buying the game at all.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ok, guess I will try a few SP games first, just to try to get to know the most basic stuff

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ok, guess I will try a few SP games first, just to try to get to know the most basic stuff

do it! This game is seriously fun, and as I've said, low time commitment, and everyone is fun to play with. poo poo doesn't carry over from game to game (unless you do something dumb like welch on trade deals or break NAPs for bad reasons), and it's fun to plot against your neighbors only to have your plans fall apart when your army of stuff gets blown up.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Personally I do recommend the tutorial, it at least introduces you to most of the parts of the interface that you'll need to interact with regularly.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

1. Get gold
2. Get forts
3. Get mages
4. Get ownde

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

TheDemon posted:

Personally I do recommend the tutorial, it at least introduces you to most of the parts of the interface that you'll need to interact with regularly.

i don't think it works anymore. it hasn't been updated since before the monster pretender upgrade, i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Feeling utterly utterly lost about pretender creation?

A british guy with a kind of mumbly soporific voice made a video to help with the baby steps.

• Locked thread