Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

decypher posted:

But does/would the apple leather case really protect a 6S+'s(Oh Gawd) edges and screen in the event of a drop?

Dropped my 6s from about 5 feet onto concrete in the leather and neither took any damage. This is my anecdote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
If you want a bit more protection I like Incipio NGP cases. It's a simple TPU case that doesn't add much bulk at all and adds some drop protection. It's on the cheap side also.

Incipio NGP

The apple leather case is a really nice case though, I keep fighting the urge to get one because I wish it would cover the bottom as well. I may crack soon though as I have been wanting one for a while now.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

decypher posted:

But does/would the apple leather case really protect a 6S+'s(Oh Gawd) edges and screen in the event of a drop?

Or is the leather case so grippy drops don't exist?

I am getting the 6S+ today and want to protect it like the fabergé egg it is. If the apple leather case does that, surfs up dude.

If I am concerned about it not being enough is there another case that provides more protection that's recommended?

The edges are slightly raised. But the damage protection is not there beyond minimal impacts for falls. The grippiness is fine. It's mainly for scratch protection and grip.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I've had the regular brown leather case for over a year on my 6 and it's gotten really ugly. Part of that is because the amount of abuse it has endured while keeping the phone pristine. I'll likely pick up the saddle brown next week to replace it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I've been happy with Tech21 cases for the past couple of years on my iPhones and iPads. Minimal enough with good protection and doesn't look like an awful otter box or something.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

decypher posted:

Or is the leather case so grippy drops don't exist?

I am getting the 6S+ today and want to protect it like the fabergé egg it is. If the apple leather case does that, surfs up dude.

If I am concerned about it not being enough is there another case that provides more protection that's recommended?

It's more that any case solves the issue of it being too drat hard to hold in the first place. If you're already drop-prone then a more protective case might be an option; the Apple cases do not do well in drop tests.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Khablam posted:

It's more that any case solves the issue of it being too drat hard to hold in the first place. If you're already drop-prone then a more protective case might be an option; the Apple cases do not do well in drop tests.

mine did :grin:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The increase in grippiness is way more valuable than any marginal increase in drop protection IMO.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

nickutz posted:

I've had the regular brown leather case for over a year on my 6 and it's gotten really ugly. Part of that is because the amount of abuse it has endured while keeping the phone pristine. I'll likely pick up the saddle brown next week to replace it.

The brown leather I retired on my Plus last year when I switched to the 6s looked fantastic. Really only the first gen brown leather aged poorly.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
The saddle brown Apple leather case cured my cancer! :haw:

Many pages back I mentioned that when I tried it in-store I found the buttons too stiff, and some of you assured me they'd work in over time. I'm still using the white silicone case, but drat do I reeeeeeeeeeally want the saddle brown. Maybe I'll get it next week and just deal with breaking it in, because every time someone mentions it here I twitch.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Opened this thread to try and find a case recommendation for my new iphone, saw the leather case lovefest, ordered it. Thanks thread.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Apple silicone case is super nice too, if you want your phone to feel like a sex toy.

I guess leather has a place in the bedroom too, just depends on your kink.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Too many reports of the silicone case peeling, and it attracts dust like crazy. Also feel like it's somehow less grippy than the leather.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Black leather case superiority.

I've had mine since the 6 Plus launched and it's still wonderful.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

e.pilot posted:

I've been happy with Tech21 cases for the past couple of years on my iPhones and iPads. Minimal enough with good protection and doesn't look like an awful otter box or something.

Any model of these particularly good or bad? I'm thinking I should get a case but I don't really dig leather or the partially transparent variety at all.

Quick Q, is it normal to sometimes get a 2-3 second pause when unlocking a phone (6S+ specifically)? Most of the time the phone unlocks totally fine, but occasionally it takes a few seconds, or it unlocks immediately then whatever app is up hangs for a few. I'm guessing it's some Widget or app I have that is doing it, could be BeWeather maybe?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
The leather case feels great and is really quite slim adding minimal bulk. The saddlebag brown looks somewhat orange right now and is weird contrast between the edge of the black phone. I can't wait to see it slowly get coated in my hand filth and become more beautiful over time.

The phone is fast as heck and the huge screen is a real delight. Curious to see what kind of battery life I get from it as I tend to lean on the heavy side of the daily usage scale.

Opted against AppleCare+ so I'm going without some form of insurance for the first time. I'm going to start saving a little each month until I have the cost of a full unit replacement covered. What is that for the 6s+? $250?

I took advantage of my last remaining 2 yr subsidized unit upgrade with att. Unlimited data plan still intact although I hear it's going up $5 which is meh. The att employee said they've done a lot of 2 year upgrades today, seemingly unaware the news had broke about the January 8th date. I told them to expect more throughout the week. :cool:

decypher fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 4, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

decypher posted:

Curious to see what kind of battery life I get from it as I tend to lean on the heavy side of the daily usage scale.

6s+, right?

The battery life is amazing. Unless you're watching HOURS of video or doing a lot of GPS stuff, you should be easily getting a full day's use out of it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Quantum of Phallus posted:

6s+, right?

The battery life is amazing. Unless you're watching HOURS of video or doing a lot of GPS stuff, you should be easily getting a full day's use out of it.

When I absolutely hammer mine it’s at like 48% at the end of a day. Unless I’ve played Downwell that day.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The only part of this case debate I'd dispute is that the leather case doesn't add much bulk to the phone - it really does. To the people saying that, how often do you go back to a naked phone to notice the difference?

I got a 6S at release and smashed the screen six days later, having never dropped a phone before in my life. The thing's just too drat slippery. When I got it replaced by Apple I bought a the leather case straight away to protect the new one and sure enough I've never dropped it. I only really put the case on when I'm going out though (shopping or drinking with friends etc), for normal days at home or work I don't bother and it feels so much nicer.

The case does feel great, ages well and makes the phone a lot grippier, but going backwards and forwards you definitely notice the bulk it adds. It doesn't help that I work with iPhones every day, so I can't just keep mine in the case and forget what it's like without.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, both cases definitely add bulk. I really like the lip that keeps the screen from touching a table if you place it face down, but it's way bigger than what it needs to be. It also kind of interferes with pressure sensitivity at the edge of the screen.

The width increase seems pretty minor though.. any thinner and it wouldn't feel like it protects much.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Any model of these particularly good or bad? I'm thinking I should get a case but I don't really dig leather or the partially transparent variety at all.

No, all of the tech21 cases are essentially the same.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Quick Q, is it normal to sometimes get a 2-3 second pause when unlocking a phone (6S+ specifically)? Most of the time the phone unlocks totally fine, but occasionally it takes a few seconds, or it unlocks immediately then whatever app is up hangs for a few. I'm guessing it's some Widget or app I have that is doing it, could be BeWeather maybe?

My 6S did this for the first few days, and then never did it again. The vague I'm-not-sure-what-I'm-talking-about answer is "iOS indexing." If it goes on for more than a week following a format/new install, I'd start suspecting apps.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

enojy posted:

My 6S did this for the first few days, and then never did it again. The vague I'm-not-sure-what-I'm-talking-about answer is "iOS indexing." If it goes on for more than a week following a format/new install, I'd start suspecting apps.

iOS has Spotlight just like OS X, fast search has to build an index of everything it searches over to be instant. Especially if you restore from a backup or sign into all your accounts at the same time, where all this new data needs to be indexed at the same time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Picked up the saddle brown today. It's very nice and feels like excellent quality. It is as minimal as it can be but it is definitely very different than going naked. I toss my phone on my desk a lot so it'll be good to have some back protection. If I'm going to have a case, this looks perfect.

I'm going to tell people it's rich corinthian leather.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
One of us
One of us

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

TraderStav posted:

I'm going to tell people it's rich corinthian leather.

Hand stitched by the finest Castillian artisans using Ricardo Montalban's chest hair.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

+1 for the saddle brown hype train. Ordered one last night to go with the 6s+ I got yesterday. I don't mind the size but it's just fractionally heavier than I'd like. Still a gorgeous phone though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
You mother fuckers. I went to pick up my MBA from the fruit stand and ended up in saddle brown town. Rude.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

LmaoTheKid posted:

You mother fuckers. I went to pick up my MBA from the fruit stand and ended up in saddle brown town. Rude.

Welcome, enjoy the lifestyle :grin:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Stop making me want to go buy one of these cases. I'm happy with the Navy Blue one <:mad:>

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Post pics of your brown leather wear please

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Depths posted:

Mine is almost too sick to post, but ok hold on.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Depths posted:

I posted mine yesterday.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Those insane stretch marks came with it, I wonder what magnificent life this cow led. It looked almost zebra like when I first purchased it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Those insane stretch marks came with it, I wonder what magnificent life this cow led. It looked almost zebra like when I first purchased it.

:nws: that poo poo, man.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's nice, but it's not orange. I guess it's a distant second place if your local Apple Store is out of the best option.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Midnight Blue is pretty good too guys. Plus it doesn't stain blue from my sick rear end raw denim jeans.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
As someone who has bought those freezy lunch bags, cold coozies, and poo poo like that to stick my phone in during the summer, I would smile at the novelty of my phone turning off because it was too cold rather than too hot.

Although really, this was more a 4S problem than a 5S problem.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I would only buy saddle brown if my phone had a white face, otherwise black on black 4 lyfe. :frogc00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This probably has less to do with iPhones and more to do with eyes, but does anyone else see certain shades of red (be it text or part of an app icon...) and get like, a 3D effect? (Pseudo 3D, I suppose...)

Example:
This text:

Or this app icon: (AX)

[edit] May require viewing images ON the iPhone screen for possible effect...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 5, 2016