Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Jack Gladney posted:

I can only hope this leads to a Dean Stockwell interview at some point.

I would literally die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Miss Wallace posted:

I would literally die.

He always seems so nice and low-key when he's being interviewed and, you know, not being sent to Jordan under false pretenses or denied cigars. Plus, who else would ever ask him about Sinbad or some of the other weird poo poo of his?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Even if you don't normally enjoy actor stories, you should listen to Robert Chapin. His story sound like a cross between The Disaster Artist, Tropic Thunder, and Ishtar.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He's really charming and has a good storytelling voice/delivery. And he's seen some poo poo. When I started it I thought I'd finish later, but the two hours flew by like nothing. A pro click.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Chiming in to also say that the Robert Chapin interview is really something special. I'm 90 minutes in now, and its reminding me a lot of talking to former directors, actors, producers, etc. and just hearing the craziest stories they have to offer.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

I gotta tell you guys, this was my first (and so far only) interview because I am super terrified of talking to industry folks (and strangers in general), but Robert Chapin was so nice and friendly and supportive. He started the call off being excited to talk to me because he loved the review, and I was pleasantly surprised to hear about the 80s/90s martial arts scene a bit as well. Guy has a great positive attitude. You guys should also check out his movie over at thehunted.tv, he deserves support.

Also I'm currently setting up an interview with Anthony Delongis (who played Nimbus), which means more stories about the Bulgaria portions of the movie!

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Miss Wallace posted:

I gotta tell you guys, this was my first (and so far only) interview because I am super terrified of talking to industry folks (and strangers in general), but Robert Chapin was so nice and friendly and supportive. He started the call off being excited to talk to me because he loved the review, and I was pleasantly surprised to hear about the 80s/90s martial arts scene a bit as well. Guy has a great positive attitude. You guys should also check out his movie over at thehunted.tv, he deserves support.

Also I'm currently setting up an interview with Anthony Delongis (who played Nimbus), which means more stories about the Bulgaria portions of the movie!

If you’re getting more interviews, you should seriously consider turning this into a book.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

echopapa posted:

If you’re getting more interviews, you should seriously consider turning this into a book.

Dear god no! Who knows what might fly out of it or where it'll teleport people! :ohdear:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Miss Wallace posted:

I'm about an hour into it and...just...Jesus Christ :stare: Lupa, I think there was a reason this film stayed buried beyond that it was poo poo.

Edit: Like the more we dig into the history of this movie, the more likely we get a story that starts with "And then we got some cocaine"

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 10, 2016

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Oh man, I am a huge Star Trakker

"Use the force Picard, and tell Spock to do the same!"

two words : Dilithium Lightsabers :D

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

shades of eternity posted:

two words : Dilithium Lightsabers :D

Yoder is the coolest because he drives the tank.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm about an hour into it and...just...Jesus Christ :stare: Lupa, I think there was a reason this film stayed buried beyond that it was poo poo.

Edit: Like the more we dig into the history of this movie, the more likely we get a story that starts with "And then we got some cocaine"

I think when they start considering using a dead tourist as a prop dummy that's when things are super dire.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Normally you get a few funny stories behind the scenes from movies, especially low budget and b-movies, but this just sounds insane :stare:

I'd like to see more Lupa interviews in the future.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jim Sterling did a quite good video about the "Prepare to Die" slogan and the idea of difficulty in Dark Souls today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXUzbcNM6K0

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 11, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Augus posted:

Jim Sterling did a quite good video about the "Prepare to Die" slogan and the idea of difficulty in Dark Souls today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXUzbcNM6K0

It's a good video. I love it when anyone takes on the assholeish nature of gamers.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

So...Is this a recommendation to watch because...I'm curious.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Do those drawings look much more childish-- in terms of both quality and-- *shudder* apparent age of the depicted?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

lornekates posted:

Do those drawings look much more childish-- in terms of both quality and-- *shudder* apparent age of the depicted?

Yup everyone are supposed to be adults, it's apparently just a lovely clicker clone with lovely art. But people just ironically buy it and ironically play it online

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Testekill posted:

Yup everyone are supposed to be adults, it's apparently just a lovely clicker clone with lovely art. But people just ironically buy it and ironically play it online

The "justification" from the devs is that they intentionally wanted to look like a lovely mobile game. It's supposed to be a "parody"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Please don't post my youtube channel :(

lornekates posted:

Do those drawings look much more childish-- in terms of both quality

If you think the drawing is bad you should(n't) see the trailer, the animation looks like Newgrounds grade flash. From 1998

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mokinokaro posted:

The "justification" from the devs is that they intentionally wanted to look like a lovely mobile game. It's supposed to be a "parody"

Those are the HunniePop dudes right? I mean I'd criticize them for genuinely not seeming to get what parody means but gently caress it they've got enough people who will legitimately pay them a non-tiny amount of money for terribly drawn anime tits and a fairy that shouts "I GOT YELLOW FEVER" at an Asian girl so who gives a poo poo.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Miss Wallace posted:

Niiiice. De Longis is one of those industry people who is secretly in everything. Masters of the Universe to frigging ER. And everything I've seen about him shows him to be amazingly chill and laid back; I'd love to see an autobiography by him.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

BigRed0427 posted:

So...Is this a recommendation to watch because...I'm curious.

I watched the second video a few days ago. The thing you realize right away is "Wow, this game is dull as hell." Like people said, it's a one-screen clicker management game, not too different from your average Facebook game. One weird thing I noticed with the art; all the girls have hearts for pupils.

I will recommend ProJared though, or at least his main review channel. He's done some pretty good reviews, and he sold me on Tower of Doom and Stardew Valley. He's also done some videos recounting D&D sessions, so those are worth a watch if you've run out of Counter Monkey episodes to watch.

I had actually planned on doing a short write-up on a couple of the various YouTube reviewers from NormalBoots/HiddenBlock (Caddicarus, BrutalMoose, PeanutButterGamer), but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

BigRed0427 posted:

It's a good video. I love it when anyone takes on the assholeish nature of gamers.

It's not even just gamer assholishness, I think it's part of the legitimate issues with Dark Souls 2 as a game: it bought its own marketing hype. I mean, it's not like DkS2 RUINED MY LIFE or anything hyperbolic, but I'm lukewarm on it, because it seemed like it really wanted to be hard in a way Dark Souls and Demon's Souls never were. I found it easier, in the long run, but that's largely because I was experienced at the original. Dark Souls 2 in the late game had a lot of sections where they just decided throwing more enemies at you at the same time was a great plan because... Prepare to Die I guess?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Max Wilco posted:

I watched the second video a few days ago. The thing you realize right away is "Wow, this game is dull as hell." Like people said, it's a one-screen clicker management game, not too different from your average Facebook game. One weird thing I noticed with the art; all the girls have hearts for pupils.

I will recommend ProJared though, or at least his main review channel. He's done some pretty good reviews, and he sold me on Tower of Doom and Stardew Valley. He's also done some videos recounting D&D sessions, so those are worth a watch if you've run out of Counter Monkey episodes to watch.

I had actually planned on doing a short write-up on a couple of the various YouTube reviewers from NormalBoots/HiddenBlock (Caddicarus, BrutalMoose, PeanutButterGamer), but I just haven't gotten around to it.

I guess I'll give my thoughts.

Caddicarus comes across as trying too hard at times. His stuff can be pretty funny and at his best he's pretty great but at his worst he can be a bit of a slog. He has scaled back his schedule to just one game review and one movie review a week although he hasn't posted his stuff from the last week and a half.

BrutalMoose mostly does PC games from the early 90's through to the early 2000's. His most entertaining stuff is when he covers weird FMV games because his reactions are pretty funny. He's also pretty consistent as he doesn't have as big a gap between his best and his worst.

PeanutButterGamer is also pretty decent. His schedule is pretty much just when he puts out his videos but it's also generally good. The only stuff that I don't give a poo poo about is when he does lists but the Putt-Putt videos and his Zelda stuff are worthwhile. He has also started up a gaming series with SpaceHamster which is aight.

Speaking of Hammy, he has a similar problem with Caddicarus where he comes across like he's trying too hard. His work certainly is a weaker version of JonTron's shtick but his videos on hacks & bootlegs are all enjoyable and he does a ton of editing for guys like BrutalMoose and PBG so I'm a bit more forgiving of his lax schedule

Jsor posted:

It's not even just gamer assholishness, I think it's part of the legitimate issues with Dark Souls 2 as a game: it bought its own marketing hype. I mean, it's not like DkS2 RUINED MY LIFE or anything hyperbolic, but I'm lukewarm on it, because it seemed like it really wanted to be hard in a way Dark Souls and Demon's Souls never were. I found it easier, in the long run, but that's largely because I was experienced at the original. Dark Souls 2 in the late game had a lot of sections where they just decided throwing more enemies at you at the same time was a great plan because... Prepare to Die I guess?

Namco/Bandai & FROM were certainly drinking their own bathwater with Dark Souls 2.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 12, 2016

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
"Prepare to Die" upsets me the same way "Diablo is just clicking and loot!" does. It's just this totally reductive disregard for everything masterful about their source material, turning them into pure marketed product, which is A) Cynical as gently caress and B) Boring as gently caress, and kinda reflects why most trendsetting games are followed by swathes of pale imitations by way of cargo cult mentalities even within the franchises that spawned them. gently caress the themes they communicate with their atmosphere and writing that dovetail with their systems to deliver a subtle narrative, this isn't your artsy fartsy garbage for snooty game critics, games should just be mechanics and literally nothing elseeven though that's inherently impossible! prepare to die motherfuckers waaah!!!

Though, to be fair, the DS stuff seems to have come back around since DS2 missed the mark a bit. Bloodborne seems pretty fantastic and is the only reason I'd ever consider getting a PS4, Salt And Sanctuary's been doing pretty well for itself, even real niche indie stuff like DarkMaus turned out good. DS3 also looks like it's turned out great (And has, in fact, been praised by some critics for being more playable/accessible, and more friendly to a diverse palate of playstyles) so at least the trend here seems to be back on track.

It's just Namco Bandai's kowtowing to a cultish fanbase of obnoxious ~hardcore gamer~ types that leads to reductive buzzwording and elitist trash. And bafflingly lovely mobile ad games but we don't talk about Slashy Souls.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
So far I'm really loving Dark Souls 3. I didn't hate DS2, but this one feels like a more realized sequel. The level design and difficulty balance are fantastic so far, though I'm only 8 hours in.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Moartoast posted:

"Prepare to Die" upsets me the same way "Diablo is just clicking and loot!" does. It's just this totally reductive disregard for everything masterful about their source material, turning them into pure marketed product, which is A) Cynical as gently caress and B) Boring as gently caress, and kinda reflects why most trendsetting games are followed by swathes of pale imitations by way of cargo cult mentalities even within the franchises that spawned them. gently caress the themes they communicate with their atmosphere and writing that dovetail with their systems to deliver a subtle narrative, this isn't your artsy fartsy garbage for snooty game critics, games should just be mechanics and literally nothing elseeven though that's inherently impossible! prepare to die motherfuckers waaah!!!

Though, to be fair, the DS stuff seems to have come back around since DS2 missed the mark a bit. Bloodborne seems pretty fantastic and is the only reason I'd ever consider getting a PS4, Salt And Sanctuary's been doing pretty well for itself, even real niche indie stuff like DarkMaus turned out good. DS3 also looks like it's turned out great (And has, in fact, been praised by some critics for being more playable/accessible, and more friendly to a diverse palate of playstyles) so at least the trend here seems to be back on track.

It's just Namco Bandai's kowtowing to a cultish fanbase of obnoxious ~hardcore gamer~ types that leads to reductive buzzwording and elitist trash. And bafflingly lovely mobile ad games but we don't talk about Slashy Souls.

To be fair, aping the superficial aspects of a thing that's popular is far from unique to video games. See also BvS getting an R-rated cut for the blu-ray.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

DStecks posted:

To be fair, aping the superficial aspects of a thing that's popular is far from unique to video games. See also BvS getting an R-rated cut for the blu-ray.

Oh yeah totally, tone-deafness in high-budget media has been a thing since anything could be deemed "high-budget media", it's just that Hollywood didn't think to coin a dumbass corporate term like "Moviers" early on to get obsessive people to self-identify as so their consumers would aggressively attach themselves to the media they consume/production brands they recognize. Games have that extra feedback loop (plus the nuanced differences that come with being a very different medium, plus that medium growing up in a very different time) that lead to that stuff being at least a bit more common, as pleasing ~gamer fans~ is paramount.

Like, the closest you get to community elitism with film tends to be peeps who actively try to hate films just to hate them, or rip apart any film that's not high art or whatever, and even then they're at least acknowledging the sociopolitical messages and potential for audience influence inherent in all art/media. And I'm pretty sure it's a bit less common for film creators and critics to have their careers, lives and families actively threatened if they dare scrutinize politics or broach progressive ideals about a film that some people kinda enjoy i guess.

Point is, developers still don't know what the hell this medium actually is, publishers are dumb cowards who don't care to know what the hell this medium actually is, the most vocal part of the gaming community has a tendency to mutually (and violently) affirm that dumb cowardice, and that's why we need to destroy video games forever.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I'm posting this hoping it doesn't turn into a misogyny discussion

Guru Larry does a Fact Hunt on 3 Forgotten...instances where journalism related to a certain media was not rigorous in their integrity and fans of said media were upset and insulted by the blatant disregard for the consumer in said instance. I've never even heard of the Driv3r controversy so I'll have to look up a let's play of it sometime.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Obivously clickbaity title aside, that Guru Larry video is great, and he avoids that thing that drags threads down aside from a quick mention. His fact hunt videos are really well researched, he even uses obscure British home computer magazines for sources a lot in them!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I have a video or two I honestly don't like (His video on copyright lawsuits doesn't quite distinguish between the degree/severity of the accusation, so you get stuff like "The Arcade Tengen Tetris version ripped off the Nintendo Home Console version" which is kind of hosed up, and his video on Doki Doki Panic glosses over that the original SMB2 wasn't that good and tries to pin it as Nintendo screwing over Westerners or something), but otherwise he's alright!

Jeremy Parish recently halted his GameBoy World series for a bit and is gonna center a bit more on his Retronauts and Good Nintentions videos, so if you want a Chrontendo-like but for Gameboy, here's the chance to catch up!

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

MrSlam posted:

I've never even heard of the Driv3r controversy so I'll have to look up a let's play of it sometime.

That's an interesting video. The last five minutes are an eye opener. It highlights the problem of keeping records in a digital/internet era, especially if there is a policy of deleting unfavourable comments.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Driv3r became so imfamous back in the day that one of the PS2 GTA games has an extended easter egg mocking it.

Larry is an interesting chap - we used to post back on the same small forum years ago. He knows a lot about video games, especially obscure British computers. He had his own tv show on a tiny UK cable channel about a decade ago, and shows up on TV as a talking head about video games on British TV sometimes. He's a guy who REALLY know his stuff. He did used to be really into the 'lulz' type humour (he even did a skype chat with Chris-Chan once), but he seems to have matured, and his videos are a lot better for it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I vaguely remember the Driv3r controversy as I was a refular poster on GameFAQs at the time (yeah I know). I never knew 100% the story behind it as it was a UK thing, but I remember mention of reviewers being paid off for scores of it. And having been a huge Driver fan back then, man was I bummed when I rented Driv3r, what a shitshow.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

New Baywatching is public:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LROF7Doffw8

I consider this one of the quintessential episodes of the show, Mitch is paralyzed and they try to cure his paralysis through product placement. Delicious cheese.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I am amazed at how many two-parters this show had. It looks like they could barely fill 45 minutes with content episode by episode, what made them think they could do ninety?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Robert Denby posted:

I am amazed at how many two-parters this show had. It looks like they could barely fill 45 minutes with content episode by episode, what made them think they could do ninety?

Look at it this way: it reduces the number of ideas they have to come up for episodes. Ergo, from the perspective of lazy writers, that's a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Pretty much. I think maybe at one point they pulled a three-parter and it was a vacation episode.

EDIT: I looked it up, I think I was remembering the two-part vacation that ended with Mitch and Neely getting married, which they immediately reversed in the next episode by making her evil, and that was another two-parter. So technically two separate stories, or a 4-parter depending on how you lump it together.

Miss Wallace fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 13, 2016

• Locked thread