Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The really good Swamp Thing special is out tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

We actually get two specials with Swamp Thing.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rhyno posted:

The really good Swamp Thing special is out tomorrow.

I'm super excited for it! :stoked:

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

He doesn't have to. Jason hasn't killed anyone in Rebirth. :flashfact:

"I haven't killed anyone in 2 years! That more than makes up for the hundreds of goons I killed a few years back!"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

In this universe, two years of comics is like, a week.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

"I haven't killed anyone in 2 years! That more than makes up for the hundreds of goons I killed a few years back!"

I mean people aren't calling for the head of Harlie Quinn and she literally turned a bunch of Gameboys into bombs, handed them out and mass murdered children. You can't even go "She's a villain" Because She's going to be working with the not-justice league coming up for No Justice

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
:colbert: I wish Harley Quinn weren't so prominent. I will gladly lead the anti-Harley revolution.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Onmi posted:

I mean people aren't calling for the head of Harlie Quinn and she literally turned a bunch of Gameboys into bombs, handed them out and mass murdered children

If that version of her stuck around, maybe.
I bet Conner and Palmiotti were furious that Matt Kindt's villain month issue came out directly before their ongoing.
Even in Suicide Squad that being in her past doesn't jive at all.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I bet Conner and Palmiotti were furious that Matt Kindt's villain month issue came out directly before their ongoing.
Even in Suicide Squad that doesn't jive at all.

That's not a valid argument either because Jason has stopped killing and has said he's swapped for non-lethal ammunition (rubber bullets). The entire thing he "Does what Batman doesn't" is "Works as an undercover double agent." not "Kills people" anymore. Like... you can say you don't like that, that's fine. But it's disingenuous to forgive one moment of a character being moved from their killing backstory while refusing to for the other. Even if you like Harley and hate Jason or visa versa.

BrianWilly posted:

:colbert: I wish Harley Quinn weren't so prominent. I will gladly lead the anti-Harley revolution.

Noted forums posted BrianWilly admitting their MISOGYNISTIC hatred of role model Yeah I can't even pretend to complete that ridiculous poo poo. Ultimately it's just a case where DC is taking two popular, and yes, Redhood is popular even if you don't like it, characters and sort of brushing aside without addressing the horrible things done in their pasts and sticking up the double thumbs and just going "REBIRTH" if someone asks "Didn't they kill a lot of people?"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Jason was more interesting when he was a Saturday morning cartoon punisher knock off.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm completely okay with a writer (or entire company in Harley's villain month issue's case) flat out ignoring an unfortunate piece of crap one-off issue if it doesn't suit their characterization.
Hell. Ignore an entire previous run if you gotta.
That applies to Jason Todd if someone miraculously made a comic of his I wanted to follow.
They aren't irl war criminals or anything. Those are the writers and editors ;)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 7, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm completely okay with a writer (or entire company in Harley's villain issue's case) flat out ignoring an unfortunate piece of crap one-off issue if it doesn't suit their characterization.
Hell. Ignore an entire previous run if you gotta.

It applies to Jason Todd if someone miraculously made a comic of his I wanted to follow.

I mean look at Luthor, how many deaths do you think he's been responsible for over the years, either orders or personally. And they made him a hero, redeemed him, and then yeah, ruined it by having Superman refuse to trust him... except... not? I think he's going back to a Hero in other books? Just swishy swish, under the carpet...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's funny Batman #40 and JL #whatever coming out the same week.
I'd like to think that directly after porting back from around 40 years of not smooching Wonder Woman, he comes up to the Watchtower that night and almost immediately gets one planted on him by Jessica.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm really enjoying Priest's Justice League. Barry's predicament in this issue, and the space cockroach previously, feel rooted in way more scientific rigour than comic books usually bother with. It's still not realistic science, but it has enough of a basis in fact that it feels like someone thought about it. To me, that sells the skills of the Justice League as problem solvers, and underlines just how difficult their job is: they aren't just punching monsters, they need to think up complex solutions to labyrinthine problems or risk causing more harm than good.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Onmi posted:

I mean people aren't calling for the head of Harlie Quinn and she literally turned a bunch of Gameboys into bombs, handed them out and mass murdered children. You can't even go "She's a villain" Because She's going to be working with the not-justice league coming up for No Justice

Yes I am. That's like one of the major criticisms of the No Justice lineups. gently caress Harley Quinn and her pseudo-hero nonsense. I don't get how I'm being disingenuous when I also think it's absurd how the universe contorts itself to accept Harley.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Lobo has never not been literally and unrepentantly guilty of genocide. Just saying.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I always knew DC had a Hyperbolic Time Chamber.

Batman #40 is loving fantastic. Why don't they just let Tom King write all the books until the end of time?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd like to think that directly after porting back from around 40 years of not smooching Wonder Woman, he comes up to the Watchtower that night and almost immediately gets one planted on him by Jessica.

I thought there was something between them, even if it was one sided, mostly from Jessica's end. But I also thought they were pushing her with Barry.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Even in Suicide Squad that being in her past doesn't jive at all.

I believe they came out and said that didn't happen. It was basically erased from existence the minute after it came out.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nofather posted:

I thought there was something between them, even if it was one sided, mostly from Jessica's end. But I also thought they were pushing her with Barry.

That's why it's an indication of something strange going on. Either one or both are not who they say they are or their minds have been affected or it's meant to look like a kiss when it isn't.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

That's why it's an indication of something strange going on. Either one or both are not who they say they are or their minds have been affected or it's meant to look like a kiss when it isn't.

I was thinking that, too, as it may have been her whispering to him. But it seemed like a kiss.

I thought Simon was the compromised one. I guess it's been sort of ambiguous on how much control the Fanboy has over things.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

From the Swamp Thing special, even though it was without lettering, Len Wein's story already seemed better than the last miniseries. The action scene with the fan boats was really fun.
Over in Young Monster In Love, I didn't love Mark Russell's Swampy story, but Frazier Irving was fuckin' perfect. He was born to draw moss.

edit: We're also getting a double dose of Kelly Jones in these specials. This week's pretty good.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 7, 2018

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Onmi posted:

That's not a valid argument either because Jason has stopped killing and has said he's swapped for non-lethal ammunition (rubber bullets). The entire thing he "Does what Batman doesn't" is "Works as an undercover double agent." not "Kills people" anymore.

Has Matches Malone been retired?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
He's been showing up less but he's still around.

Damian once went to a Halloween party as 'Li'l Matches.'

And regular Matches showed up in Batman/Shadow.

nofather fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 7, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Young Monsters in Love: The Creature Commandos, Raven, and the Brain and Monsieur Mallah stories were all great.

Everything else was ok at best.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I tried liking the Valentine's book but all the stories were not so much about romance as they were about people having issues relating to romance

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Speaking of romance, I genuinely have no idea what Priest is doing with Jessica Cruz.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Roth posted:

Speaking of romance, I genuinely have no idea what Priest is doing with Jessica Cruz.

I think for her Batman is sort of a stand-in for Volthoom. Powerful, dominant and overbearing. Plus he helped rescue her in the first place.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

I have no idea what he's doing with anybody. I get that he's going for a "what if the Justice League were real?" story, but right now it just reads as "what if everyone was kind of an rear end in a top hat?" I don't know, I just don't find any of the JL really likable so far, which is you know, a pretty important factor in a comic about the Justice League.

e: Maybe this is some of that comic-movie synergy and Priest is just boldly making the comic Justice League just as mediocre as the cinematic League.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 8, 2018

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

TwoPair posted:

I have no idea what he's doing with anybody. I get that he's going for a "what if the Justice League were real?" story, but right now it just reads as "what if everyone was kind of an rear end in a top hat?" I don't know, I just don't find any of the JL really likable so far, which is you know, a pretty important factor in a comic about the Justice League.

In this issue I think Flash was portrayed very well, I mean the guy almost died saving some LexCorp flunkie, which is pretty self sacrificing. Cyborg in one of the others, and I suspect he's about to be given his time to shine. Simon and Jessica seem plagued by being new to things (jumping into situations and jumping to violence without realizing what's going on) but that's pretty expected. The story seems to be more about how they deal with rough times than "they're just assholes." Batman's busy and someone died, Wonder Woman's upset about it but they're not sure how to get past it. The trinity is busy, dealing with alternate lives and agendas, and this Fanboy guy seems to be watching all of them and knowing all of or at least some of their secrets. For some of them it's a personal thing, Superman and Batman enjoy their secret identities. For Cyborg it's a personal issue, being hacked is likely personally invasive, it's bad enough when Batman does it but now some random scumbag? Times are tough for the Justice League, they'll probably take time to get back on their feet. Though I think DC writers have occasionally tanked stories because they were miffed about some editorial decisions so who knows.

Aquaman does seem to be a third wheel, though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

site posted:

I tried liking the Valentine's book but all the stories were not so much about romance as they were about people having issues relating to romance

The Swamp Thing story was a romance. Some of the others less so, but I assume the assignment was for a story relating to romance or Valentines Day

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
his gf gets murdered and he walks back into the swamp giving up his human side to become the monster they fear thats not romantic lol

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What percent of romance stories don't end in tragedy?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i have read all 3,678,960 romance books in existence and the percentage comes out to 76.846% do not end in tragedy

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I like that DC's take on Frankenstein is downplaying the whole walking entity made by a scientist who seems pretty immortal, in favor of 'guy with an ex-wife who is not interested in starting things over with him at all.'

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nofather posted:

I like that DC's take on Frankenstein is downplaying the whole walking entity made by a scientist who seems pretty immortal, in favor of 'guy with an ex-wife who is not interested in starting things over with him at all.'

DC's Frankenstein is a gift. That he was made by a mad scientist hundreds of years ago is basically treated like an "over and done with" sort of thing and feel minimal need to revisit it. Everything else about him is something like an undead Brock Sampson but without the blind rages and more general jadedness and the only things he really cares about is the woman who was made for him (and I think the child they had, but I forget what happened to him)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

site posted:

his gf gets murdered and he walks back into the swamp giving up his human side to become the monster they fear thats not romantic lol

Mallah and the Brain had the greatest romance story of the decade.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

What percent of romance stories don't end in tragedythe woman dying?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Roth posted:

Mallah and the Brain had the greatest romance story of the decade.

Fair

I feel like this may be a cultural thing where all the "romance" stories people know of are tragedies written by men two hundred years ago so that's what people associate with what romance is cuz if you actually read those romance novels at the bookstore by and large they don't have sad endings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sure, and this being comic books, it's also exacerbated by there never being an ending period, so of course happy endings aren't a possibility.