Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ElBrak posted:

They'll lay down a displacement and what senors and weapons they want. After 10 years they'll come up with something twice as large and with 4 times the sensors and weapons, they'll authorize one to be built and then cancel it. Then the process starts over.

Don't be silly if they make it literally any bigger it can't get out of Lake Michigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Meanwhile
https://www.mycg.uscg.mil/News/Article/2962791/cutter-polar-star-enjoys-farm-to-galley-produce-grown-in-the-hangar/

quote:

“It was the freshest produce I’ve eaten on a Coast Guard cutter,” said Cmdr. Tom Przybyla, executive officer on the 399-foot heavy icebreaker. “And it was even more of a treat to have it 30 days out from our most recent port call.”

This farm-to-table feat was possible because the lettuce was grown on the ship. For the past four months, researchers aboard the Polar Star have been experimenting with a vertical, hydroponic garden that has yielded at least three harvests so far.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

PneumonicBook posted:

Don't be silly if they make it literally any bigger it can't get out of Lake Michigan.

Max size for the seaway is 740’x78’x26’6”

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Love to be an enlisted gardner growing fresh vegetables for the wardroom to enjoy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Love to be an enlisted gardner growing fresh vegetables for the wardroom to enjoy.

It’s all about the fertilizer.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It's a collateral, and there's absolutely no gardening while on watch. The quality of vegetables grown will make the difference between being the #1 EP and a P, because of "visibility," working 48 hours straight fixing the generator that makes the electricity for the grow lights doesn't count.

You can also enjoy the vegetables, but only if you're one of the first 5 in line for chow, or you get there late enough to get the literal scrapings from the wardroom.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So I was never on a submarine, but on an aircraft carrier "first in line" worked like this: whichever division offered the service was first in line, followed by people who worked the least. Obviously this makes sense for the cooks, they have to eat and then cook, but every other loving service was like a total fuckjob. Need to use the ship's laundry? Sign up starts after cleaning stations, and oddly enough all of supply division heads down there to help for the last 5 minutes. The ones not going down there got in line at the barber. I remember an insane conversation I had with someone in line for the barber where I was upset that it was so difficult to get on the haircut schedule, I was lucky to find time once a month, and the loving guy goes "Wow! I get lined up at least once a week, sometimes twice!"

Ugh I am getting Navy Flashbacks now. Next month will be a decade out. Jesus, time flies, but nothing heats me up quicker than remember the loving Navy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hah hah yeah the navy sucks!

Shuffles out of the conversation sideways….

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

Scuttles out of the conversation sideways…. 🦀

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Crab Dad posted:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

FrozenVent posted:

Max size for the seaway is 740’x78’x26’6”

The crews that ride them out have told me some parts are like the suez in a carrier :shrug:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Ugh I am getting Navy Flashbacks now. Next month will be a decade out. Jesus, time flies, but nothing heats me up quicker than remember the loving Navy.

Just be an officer and get your laundry done for you by your enlisted servants.

I'm finishing out my last 5 weeks by being on FEP for the first time in my career because I'm passing, but borderline, in the rope&choke, and I played "what loving department do I need" in the Naval Hospital all afternoon for my separation physical so I'm a little salty in general.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Document everything for your eventual va claim.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Document everything for your eventual va claim.

Not emptyquoting :v:

Also gently caress the Navy.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

The crews that ride them out have told me some parts are like the suez in a carrier :shrug:

I got overtaken by the USS Freedom on her delivery voyage; I was on a sub-seaway max lake boat and that thing was tiny.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

FrozenVent posted:

I got overtaken by the USS Freedom on her delivery voyage; I was on a sub-seaway max lake boat and that thing was tiny.

I mean I'm aware of the size of the freedom class, I work on them daily. I haven't ever been through the locks to get out to the st Lawrence though and was going off of what the crew told me.

Really though the limiting factor for size is going to be the channel from marinette to Lake Michigan. I think marinette is supposed to rebuild their bridge so it opens wider.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I love that the warfare capabilities of a major workhorse oceangoing surface combatant are going to be partially determined by the fact that we've decided to build it in loving Wisconsin

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The peacetime military is a job program.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

FrozenVent posted:

The peacetime military is a job program.

100000000%

In that way, LCS was wildly successful.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So I was never on a submarine, but on an aircraft carrier "first in line" worked like this: whichever division offered the service was first in line, followed by people who worked the least. Obviously this makes sense for the cooks, they have to eat and then cook, but every other loving service was like a total fuckjob. Need to use the ship's laundry? Sign up starts after cleaning stations, and oddly enough all of supply division heads down there to help for the last 5 minutes. The ones not going down there got in line at the barber. I remember an insane conversation I had with someone in line for the barber where I was upset that it was so difficult to get on the haircut schedule, I was lucky to find time once a month, and the loving guy goes "Wow! I get lined up at least once a week, sometimes twice!"

And now I'm mad before 8am on a Saturday. I've also been out for 10 years.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Any navgoons have any experience with the NJP process as it relates to getting a high score (lol) on a piss test? Asking for a friend. Specifically, if the results are... let's say "circumstancial", as in a sailor screened positive for a prescribed medication, but in what I've been told (havent seen any actual lab report, and wouldnt know how to interpret it) is "a cartoonishly large amount". Does the CO have any agency at all in his decision, or are his hands tied by Big Navy to just adsep the sailor? I've only ever known of sailors popping for like, weed or coke or heroin.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Any navgoons have any experience with the NJP process as it relates to getting a high score (lol) on a piss test? Asking for a friend. Specifically, if the results are... let's say "circumstancial", as in a sailor screened positive for a prescribed medication, but in what I've been told (havent seen any actual lab report, and wouldnt know how to interpret it) is "a cartoonishly large amount". Does the CO have any agency at all in his decision, or are his hands tied by Big Navy to just adsep the sailor? I've only ever known of sailors popping for like, weed or coke or heroin.

I haven't heard of anyone getting in trouble for a drug they were prescribed. I pissed hot more than once for meds that I was given by doctors and after showing my chain of command the Rx nothing else happened. Granted this was more than a decade ago.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Did they disclose said prescribed medication? If yes then great, this is not an issue. Was the medication prescribed by their medical department? If yes, great, this is not an issue.

If they're popping Vicodin they got on the town without having informed their medical and chain then they're in a much worse spot.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Popped for their prescribed medication, they have tested and annotated their Rx many times before. Going only by word of mouth, the issue is that the lab results would appear to indicate this guy horked down "a month's worth" (NCIS investigator's words) of Adderall an hour before his pissed. Sailor is aware that he has the right to review all evidence presented for the charge, he's talking to legal this morning.

I'm like, would you even need a piss test to indicate that? Wouldn't the smoke coming out of your ears give it away? Or the heart attack?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Or is it "cartoonishly large" amount in that it was a contaminated sample and you'd be lying on the ground loopy with that much in you?

If it's that and they're still going to NJP just escalate it or grab a lawyer because gently caress getting hosed over and losing an honorable discharge because of a paperwork screwup.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I've never heard of the actual levels of the drug in the sample being a factor. If it's something they have a legitimate prescription for, their doc should write a letter certifying that and that's it.

I was the urinalysis guy for a couple years and we had a few people pop for illegal drugs and a few pop for legit prescriptions, amounts were never a consideration. If it's something like "this is 100x more than should be present" that sounds more like a lab error or something.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I had a PO1 pop for an expired prescription. He was a great sailor so the command went to bat for him and kept him in. Made chief next cycle. So there is wiggle room for these “not actually heroin or weed” cases.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Definitely let legal handle it. I was on tramadol for my motorcycle accident and took a few drug tests during that time and never had any issues so it really shouldn’t be for them unless the command is just looking for an excuse to gently caress with them.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Honestly the entire convo with NCIS, hell even that there was a convo with NCIS at all seems kinda sus to me. Apparently the only reason they wanted to talk to him was to see if he would "give up his source" and once they decided that wasn't going to happen they were done talking to him. They "didn't have" a copy of the results on hand. Really?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ACAB and FTN

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Honestly the entire convo with NCIS, hell even that there was a convo with NCIS at all seems kinda sus to me. Apparently the only reason they wanted to talk to him was to see if he would "give up his source" and once they decided that wasn't going to happen they were done talking to him. They "didn't have" a copy of the results on hand. Really?

Give up his source? Like, the medical department that prescribes him the medication? What the h*ck x100000, lawyer time.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Dont ever talk to cops without talking to your attorney first.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grip it and rip it posted:

Dont ever talk to cops without talking to your attorney first.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Dont talk to cops.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Going only by word of mouth

Ah, I see.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Motherfucker needs a solid military lawyer he’s hosed

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I just got the best "tell me you were a Nuke without telling me you were a Nuke" service-related injury on my pre-seperation physical.

Arthritis in my writing hand.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
A quick google found a UPC handbook from 2017 with this to say:

quote:

6. Wrongful Use Determination:

a. Positive urinalysis results received without valid prescriptions must be investigated to determine whether or not the positive result is a case of drug abuse. All incidents of drug abuse subject members to disciplinary action and/or administration separation processing. Commands should consult their legal and administrative departments to ensure processing is done in accordance with governing directives.

b. In cases where a positive result could be due to authorized/legitimate prescription drug use must be subject to a Medical Review Process (MRP).

(1) Upon receipt of a positive result potentially caused by the use of prescribed drugs or treatment, the command will initiate an investigation into the circumstances that led to the positive result and obtain a technical review from the servicing DSL forensic toxicology expert (See the Resources Operating Guide for sample letter request). Documents required for a technical review include providing substantiating prescription records and specimen-specific information.

(2) If the review supports a case of authorized/legitimate use, the commanding officer will forward all information to be considered along with his/her recommendation of “authorized/legitimate use” to OPNAV N170D with a copy to their Echelon II and III Alcohol and Drug Control Officer (ADCO) for final determination.

(3) A new technical review is required as part of a determination of positive urinalysis letter, even if a command has previously executed one for the same member for the same prescription drug result during the same valid prescription period.

(4) A letter is required to address each positive result determined not to be wrongful due to prescription medication. Positive results from legitimate use will be appropriately cleared in ADMITS.

From my experience the "investigation" went something like

1. LS1 tested positive for opiates.
2. LS1 had her appendix removed last week and was prescribed painkillers.
3. Have doc write a letter saying what she was prescribed and that it will show up as opiates on a drug screening.

Done. I don't know how NCIS would get involved in the first place without the command bringing them in, but this is like a fourth-hand account so I'm sure there are elements of the story we're not getting. But if the CO wants to keep the sailor there's absolutely no way they would be forced to ADSEP them against their (the CO's) will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I have a pair of positive drug results that my UPC let me keep copies of. I got rotator cuff surgery, got prescribed opiates. Sent all the stuff into Medical. Got the urinalysis anyway, got positive. Three years later, other shoulder, same deal.

For something like adderal, I can see how taking a pill before a test and not having meticulously clean hands could contaminate the sample since (as far as I understand) amphetamine itself is present in the sample, unlike some other drug tests that are looking for metabolites.