Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Nintendo is goofy as hell and that's all there is to it

They're like the brilliant yet troubled artist who releases your favorite album of all time and then walks out 15 minutes into the concert you paid $300 to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bass Bottles posted:

It's funny because separating game chat to a secondary piece of external hardware does nothing to solve any of the things anyone one in here has complained about but it does inconvenience the people who want to use it.

It separates them from having to write "unregulated unrated internet content" on the box. This move is designed to appeal to parents. People are rightfully concerned about cyber bullying and about predators and just general vulgar grossness.

I agree it's not the only possible solution, nor probably the best, but I really don't know why so many people think it's such a huge deal either.

I will miss miiverse but man is there a lot of inappropriate for kids poo poo on there

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Bloop posted:

It separates them from having to write "unregulated unrated internet content" on the box. This move is designed to appeal to parents. People are rightfully concerned about cyber bullying and about predators and just general vulgar grossness.

I agree it's not the only possible solution, nor probably the best, but I really don't know why so many people think it's such a huge deal either.

Cause its too vague and sounds lovely and no other console since like ps2 launched with the online coming later

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

The Bloop posted:

I will miss miiverse but man is there a lot of inappropriate for kids poo poo on there

I don't see how obscuring the fact that a game supports voice chat helps parents?? You can still get screamed at through the app. Kids are smarter than their parents and they will get on voice if they want to.

It's annoying because you need two pieces of hardware, two charged batteries, and you can't hear the game audio at the same time so you either have to annoy everyone around you (including the people who can hear your game audio over the mic) or mute the game.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bass Bottles posted:

I don't see how obscuring the fact that a game supports voice chat helps parents?? You can still get screamed at through the app. Kids are smarter than their parents and they will get on voice if they want to.

It's annoying because you need two pieces of hardware, two charged batteries, and you can't hear the game audio at the same time so you either have to annoy everyone around you (including the people who can hear your game audio over the mic) or mute the game.

"The inconvenience is worth it if I don't have to deal with CHILDREN playing VIDEO GAMES, what do you mean you can mute people in videogames I don't even play anyway????"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think the baffling smart phone app makes more sense in the context that they're getting help for a lot of online and account stuff from DeNA.

edit: not in that it's a good idea, but where it's coming from.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

The PS4 and Xbox One already work with your iPhone earbuds. You just plug then into the controller.

Imagine if you could just plug them into your Switch's headphone jack? This is the obvious and best solution and it does nothing to hinder any kind of parental controls

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
How much do we know about how the mobile app is gonna be implemented, anyhow? I'm kind of intrigued by the whole thing but also really confused on how it's actually going to behave.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Re: the battery life conversation - Playing Zelda lasts just over two episodes of MST3K

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Cheeto posted:

How much do we know about how the mobile app is gonna be implemented, anyhow? I'm kind of intrigued by the whole thing but also really confused on how it's actually going to behave.

we know nothing practical

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I want to play Mario Kart

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
The voice chat is the dumbest thing with the switch and defending it is stupid. Make sure to keep your kids in a bubble so they don't have to interact with other people. Also don't be putting those newfangled vaccines in their body either I hear it causes autism.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
How dare I want to voice chat with friends in a sensible way that doesn't tie up my phone and kill its battery.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I just got Shovel Knight and actually bought the amiibo. Should I start the game with Amiibo "custom knight" mode for the first time? Or just save that for a second run.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Bum the Sad posted:

I just got Shovel Knight and actually bought the amiibo. Should I start the game with Amiibo "custom knight" mode for the first time? Or just save that for a second run.

I had to have my amiibo shovel knight piped in to the local GameStop from 2 states away, and it's not here yet. So I have no idea. But G-d bless.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I had to have my amiibo shovel knight piped in to the local GameStop from 2 states away, and it's not here yet. So I have no idea. But G-d bless.

It was at the local ToysRUs while I was running errands. Went and bought it.

Yes I am a terrible amiibo thief but I still buy ones that look nice/I want. I don't need 7 amiibo of Link. I do need a Poochy and a Kirby for example.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 16, 2017

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Bum the Sad posted:

It was at the local ToysRUs while I was running errands. Went and bought it.

Yes I am a terrible amiibo thief but I still buy ones that look nice/I want. I don't need 7 amiibo a of link. I do need a Poochy and a Kirby for example.

Thank you for telling me about this powersaves thing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bum the Sad posted:

Save it. It's basically for cheesing the game and to unlock the challenge mode.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

nexous posted:

Thank you for telling me about this powersaves thing.

It's loving sweet isn't it?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Save it. It's basically for cheesing the game and to unlock the challenge mode.

Will do. What's challenge mode?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
PLEASE! think before you steal, who does this hurt?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bass Bottles posted:

Not young kids, and I didn't say it was better for parents, I said it was meant to appeal to them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

PLEASE! think before you steal, who does this hurt?

Your feelings apparently.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Bum the Sad posted:

Someone explain why I would want a shovel knight amiibo please. I looked it up and it unlocks a cosmetic only fairy. Why would I want that?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

monkeu posted:

Someone explain why I would want a shovel knight amiibo please. I looked it up and it unlocks a cosmetic only fairy. Why would I want that?

Buy it to support Nintendo and Yacht Club Games, you get a wonderful small figure. As a BONUS you get a small in game bit of fun. g-d bless

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Is there a way to turn off auto dimming? Wife and I are playing the jackbox and it's dimming in the middle of the game and being very annoying.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Buy it to support Nintendo and Yacht Club Games, you get a wonderful small figure. As a BONUS you get a small in game bit of fun. g-d bless

I just bought the treasure trove game to support Nintendo and yacht club games. Does it do anything else that I'm missing?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah it's in the settings somewhere?
Are any of those jackbox games good for just two people?

Also for the Shovel Knight question, I'd recommend doing a first run without using the Amiibo(except maybe talk to the fairyady, that's just a cute cosmetic sidekick). The reason is you will be overpowered in the game. It's more of a screw around mode and you can't earn "feats"(cheevos) when you use it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Graceful Explosion Machine was fun. Really easy though, as I didn't have a game over until I did the Warp challenge on the 4th planet (which was actually a good/satisfying difficulty spot, wish they had more content tuned that high).

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bum the Sad posted:

challenge mode is a set of challenges you can do for each character once you beat the game

some are just boss fights, others are more creative

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Saxophone posted:

Is there a way to turn off auto dimming? Wife and I are playing the jackbox and it's dimming in the middle of the game and being very annoying.

It does this on Xbox One too, for what it's worth.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Beastie posted:

It does this on Xbox One too, for what it's worth.

I found a setting that disables it which is "screen burn-in" or some such thing buried in the options.

edit:

My wife and I were having a lot of fun with just the two of us on Trivia Murder party and the Guesso0-something whatever game, but 3/5 require at least 3 players to play.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
If anything, I think the off-system voice chat is simply done as a way to mask and conserve what limited CPU power and memory they have with the main unit and offloading it to another device. Cause it seems kinda obvious by now that despite the modern screen output, this thing is not all that strong under the hood and needs whatever little tricks it can to maintain HD output at a usable framerate.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Where the heck is the dang Animal Crossing game? Sucks that it doesn't seem appropriate for an E3 feature. What sucks even more is that there's a nonzero chance the Switch won't even see a proper AC game, since the last two flopped pretty hard (Amiibo Festival, incredibly hard.)

I guess Stardew Valley will have to fill that "can't sleep need to kill a half hour in bed" void whenever that comes out.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Dammit, when I first read about TumbleSeed I was told it was a Metroidvania pinball game, and while I had no idea what that would look like I was very hyped. I'm disappointed with what I see.

I believe the game you are thinking of is Yoku's Island Express

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

*puts a hand on your shoulder and looks you lovingly in the eye, like your pa* You know you're not really sad about public voice chat, you can still talk to your friends in many other ways.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Gorgolflox posted:

I believe the game you are thinking of is Yoku's Island Express

I checked again, and you're completely right! Whoopsy. Consider me undisappointed (for now anyway).

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

If anything, I think the off-system voice chat is simply done as a way to mask and conserve what limited CPU power and memory they have with the main unit and offloading it to another device. Cause it seems kinda obvious by now that despite the modern screen output, this thing is not all that strong under the hood and needs whatever little tricks it can to maintain HD output at a usable framerate.

It's at least better than a Wii U. If it can run Mario Kart 8 at 60 FPS in two player split screen while docked, and at 60 FPS in handheld mode, it's a pretty solid console all things considered. Mario Kart was a gorgeous game on the Wii U, and with the availability of 200cc mode by default, it also going to be running smooth AND ridiculously fast on the Switch. It also runs Zelda better than the Wii U does, so far as I can tell.

I think their network back-end just isn't ready for voice chat, hence why the features of the system are getting rolled out over the course of the year. Relegating it to a phone app is just one less thing Nintendo has to worry about for their games. I'm kinda interested in a 3rd party dev's perspective on it.

There's also Nintendo being Nintendo: it's a "family friendly" move, to avoid problems that do exist with gamers online. It still doesn't make any sense, because they could easily do something at the system level to lock that stuff off for children/overly concerned (antisocial) goons. Given how many peripherals already exist for the thing already, it'd be money in the bag to sell some dinky Nintendo branded headset for voice chat that connects wirelessly to the system, and there ya go.

I'm thinking it's battery issues, honestly. Having to maintain a wireless internet connection and a bluetooth headset connection, on top of actually playing the games that will push the active cooling into gear is just going to make limited battery life looking even worse.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

enojy posted:

Where the heck is the dang Animal Crossing game? Sucks that it doesn't seem appropriate for an E3 feature. What sucks even more is that there's a nonzero chance the Switch won't even see a proper AC game, since the last two flopped pretty hard (Amiibo Festival, incredibly hard.)

there will definitely be a full animal crossing game on switch eventually. amiibo festival and happy home designer flopped, but they're weird spinoff games that weren't very good. new leaf sold over 10 million copies and was one of the most popular 3ds games. a new animal crossing is one of my big hopes for e3, but i could also see that saved for next year.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
It is impressive that they managed 1080p/60 with MK8, but that game was already a gold standard of performance even on the Wii U, because honestly there isn't all that much the game needs to keep track of. I mainly refer to the fact that Splatoon 2 is still limited to a maximum of 720p even in docked mode as it seems the system was not powerful enough to maintain their framerate targets at any reasonably higher resolution.

Oh and screw Amiibo festival. We waited for years for a Wii U AC game, and New Leaf was really good, so just imagine what they could've done with the U... and they just squandered it on some board game spinoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i'm still a little hopeful splatoon gets at least a slight bit of a resolution bump (like maybe 900p) closer to release since optimization is usually what comes last in development, but i'm not holding my breath. it at least has a nice clean presentation and keeps its framerate rock steady so that's good.

i played some of the puyo puyo tetris demo and it seems really awesome, i'm glad it's releasing at a budget price. i'll definitely pick it up sooner rather than later but what's left of my games budget is going towards mario kart 8 this month.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 16, 2017

• Locked thread