Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

DoctorGonzo posted:

Yeah after Monaco and Indy there is no way im going to watch loving nascar.

You're ok with only watching one good race today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Yeah after Monaco and Indy there is no way im going to watch loving nascar.

It is awful. I can't remember the last time the 600 was good.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Where's all this nation making GBS threads coming from? The Indy 500 was exactly what it should be, some of the best open wheel drivers in the world scrapping it out at insane speeds on a track that rewards boldness in a race that takes luck, skill and strategy to win.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Where's all this nation making GBS threads coming from? The Indy 500 was exactly what it should be, some of the best open wheel drivers in the world scrapping it out at insane speeds on a track that rewards boldness in a race that takes luck, skill and strategy to win.

goons are bad

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Race owned, it was a good 500 after last year watching Rossi win the 100th by running out of gas across the finish line

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im not making GBS threads on nascar but their race format is loving stupid and i dont know what the gently caress stages even mean.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I didn't watch all of it but it's definitely interesting barring the long caution periods and hell, i'll try and catch moar races. It's just a shame trump has probably made it illegal for good teams like Scuderia Ferrari to compete in indycar.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't mind the stages honestly. It's the fact that the cars are awful at racing on the 1.5 mile ovals that kills it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

DoctorGonzo posted:

Im not making GBS threads on nascar but their race format is loving stupid and i dont know what the gently caress stages even mean.

it's just giving out points to the top ten at two intervals during the races, they make it sound way more complicated than it needs to be. trust me when i say that it's like the best new thing they've come up with in the last 15 years.

if you want to dump on the ludicrous championship format, by all means join the club

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
This is disturbing, it appears Super Seb is slowly growing Poois's haircut

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

track day bro! posted:

I didn't watch all of it but it's definitely interesting barring the long caution periods and hell, i'll try and catch moar races. It's just a shame trump has probably made it illegal for good teams like Scuderia Ferrari to compete in indycar.

There's just way too many ad breaks for me to watch this regularly. Having half the race under safety car doesn't make my balls tingle either.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont understand why they need to gently caress around with the race format. Start lap 1 and the one that finish first at lap 234234 wins the race. Its not rocket science and LMAO at the playoff thing. Maybe they should let the EC decide the winner.

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 28, 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Joe Saward thinks the playoff idea and that should be the beginning and end of what you need to know about Nascar.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

DoctorGonzo posted:

I dont understand why they need to gently caress around with the race format. Start lap 1 and the one that finish first at lap 234234 wins the race. Its not rocket science and LMAO at the playoff thing. Maybe they should let the EC decide the winner.

see NASCAR thread title

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoctorGonzo posted:

I dont understand why they need to gently caress around with the race format. Start lap 1 and the one that finish first at last 234234 wins the race. Its not rocket science and LMAO at the playoff thing. Maybe they should let the EC decide the winner.

It's a problem with racing as a whole, especially for NASCAR where the races last 3+ hours, but allow me to paraphrase Dale Sr:

quote:

You can watch the start of the race, go take a nap, mow the lawn, and come back 3 hours after the start, catch the end, and not miss much.

Stages, on reflection, are an attempt to make the middle portion of the races interesting, but they went around it in a dumb way explaining it. Does make the middle of the race interesting? Arguably, yes by making it worth something. Honestly, NASCAR has bigger problems than this.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont know who he is but if he is the one with this stupid thing maybe he needs to be on a nazi orgy so they can get rid of him.

Also

https://twitter.com/RealSteRumbelow/status/868847329968873474

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

DoctorGonzo posted:

I dont know who he is but if he is the one with this stupid thing maybe he needs to be on a nazi orgy so they can get rid of him.

lol like that would get anyone fired these days

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Poor for Perez or Scud? Perez has been putting in good work this year and if they want someone who will be a good supporting character for Vettel without challenging him, they got it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Perez is ready to be #2 at Ferrari.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

Poor for Perez or Scud? Perez has been putting in good work this year and if they want someone who will be a good supporting character for Vettel without challenging him, they got it.

The rumour is that Vettel is mercedes bound?

Kimi-Perez is a weak line up. Lmao if the line up is Perez-Gio

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just in case anybody missed it in the excitement, watch at least the last half hour of the 24hr of Nurburgring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPOJ0j2y6IM&t=27149s

It's a wonderful lesson not to trust nature.

Also not to drive on slicks through pouring rain.

The good stuff starts with about 21m left and a blown pit stop for the number 29.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

The rumour is that Vettel is mercedes bound?

Kimi-Perez is a weak line up. Lmao if the line up is Perez-Gio

I'd legit become a Tifosi if it was Perez Gio

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Alonso Perez.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My dick has never been harder.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

We'll see what happens in the offseason then. It could very well be Kimi finally saying "gently caress you, I'm out" early

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

There's like zero chance Ferrari retain Kimi after this year, they need to build a team going forward and not be caught out like they were in the early 90s signing older talent.

My personal feeling is that if Vettel doesn't win the WDC/WCC that Marchionne is insane enough to sign Alonso and pair him with Vettel.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I doubt Nando would go back

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He went back to McLaren.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think Nando is in the biggest crossroad of his racing career. His contract ends at this year, and everything is wide open.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

I am writing a letter to one Mr Jean Todt of the FIA requesting him to formally ban one Honda Motor Company from competing in any form of motorsport ever again.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Also

https://twitter.com/RealSteRumbelow/status/868847329968873474

Norns posted:

Sato win is good and cool.

gently caress Honda forever

This definitely takes the burn out. Yay, Sato. :unsmith:

I still hate that it means that a Honda-powered car still won though.

How is this poor? Perez is an awesome driver and he'll do well at Ferrari. His stint at McLaren crushed him but he bounced back in a big way.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

iospace posted:

I think Nando is in the biggest crossroad of his racing career. His contract ends at this year, and everything is wide open.

Full time ride at Team MCLRN IRL

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

I doubt Nando would go back

He's gone back to every other team he burned his bridge with.

The only team I can't see him going to is Mercedes and that's really down to the board still being quite raw over 2007.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz_Af0uWZgY

I have no idea what he's saying during the interview and I don't care. :unsmith:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
More proof that Nando morally won the Indy 500

https://twitter.com/ClarkWade34/status/868934436435501056

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hang in there has been a grand slam of sorts today.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_American_Racing

Button has won in Monaco

Sato has won the indy500

Davidson has won Le Mans.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crosspost from indy:

KingShibby posted:

Michael Andretti just confirmed that at the start of the season, Honda approached the teams and said that they had an engine that was less reliable with more power. All the teams said that's what they wanted

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Why not both Honda? You loving clowns

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

poty posted:

More proof that Nando morally won the Indy 500

https://twitter.com/ClarkWade34/status/868934436435501056

The hero we don't deserve :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Norns posted:

Why not both Honda? You loving clowns

I don't think it's possible for them. And TBQH, I'd sacrifice reliability for speed.

• Locked thread