Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Virtual Russian posted:

There was also an openness to these loses that I feel like I hadn't seen before. Then entire front around Avdiivka was being called unstable without qualification, retreat was being presented as the only possible course of action. Sounds like a full-blown rout.

Keep in mind that there was recently a big PR push to get Mike Johnson to pass the Ukraine aid bill, and part of that narrative was that Ukraine would collapse unless they got help immediately. They had reasons to exaggerate how bad things at the front are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Another failing of Lenin's nationalities policy,

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Regarde Aduck posted:

frolicking ftw

yup

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

sum posted:

Keep in mind that there was recently a big PR push to get Mike Johnson to pass the Ukraine aid bill, and part of that narrative was that Ukraine would collapse unless they got help immediately. They had reasons to exaggerate how bad things at the front are.

Yeah, it doesn't really seem they were exaggerating and it doesn't seem the tone has changed much since it has passed. It very likely was too little too late.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Another failing of Lenin's nationalities policy,

the furry autonomous oblast being abolished.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, it doesn't really seem they were exaggerating and it doesn't seem the tone has changed much since it has passed. It very likely was too little too late.

i mean it was always going to be that lol. the money in the aid bill is being spent on stuff that won't be available for years

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

frolicking ftw

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Regarde Aduck posted:

frolicking ftw

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The walpurgis scene from Andrei Rublev but with furries being rounded up by the FSB

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Palladium posted:

this is what happens when you run a war by influencers for influencers

the influencers getting their volunteer platoons blown up because they kept posting geocached pictures early on in the war was wild

no wonder ukraine started discouraging volunteers or ended up using them to bait out russian positions.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Things going great.

Wait, let me just check the news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68916317

BBC News posted:

Ukraine's commander-in-chief has said the situation on the frontline has worsened in the face of multiple Russian attacks.
Oleksandr Syrskyi said Ukrainian forces had withdrawn from positions in the eastern Donetsk region.

Russia is trying to take advantage of its superiority in manpower and artillery before Ukrainian forces get much-needed supplies of new US weapons.

The US last week agreed a $61bn (£49bn) package of military aid for Ukraine.

But new US weapons are yet to make their way to the frontlines, where Ukrainian troops have been struggling for months with a shortage of ammunition, troops and air defences.

"The situation at the front has worsened," Gen Syrskyi said in a post on the Telegram messaging service on Sunday.
He confirmed Ukrainian forces had withdrawn from some of their positions in an area of Donetsk that had formed part of a defensive line, established after Russia captured Avdiivka in February.

Guys, we get it. You can stop making these stories up, funding was secured. Guys...

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

They just need to hold out til 2026, when western manufacturing lead times and the failing Russian economy combined with dwindling Russian stockpiles will finally turn it around for them

Failure to hold off the Russians means a loss of their precious heritage of a tiny fringe of nazi collaborators who hosed off to Canada after the war

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

part of the present narrative is also that the front is just sort of objectively groaning under the pressure

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Nix Panicus posted:

They just need to hold out til 2026, when western manufacturing lead times and the failing Russian economy combined with dwindling Russian stockpiles will finally turn it around for them

Failure to hold off the Russians means a loss of their precious heritage of a tiny fringe of nazi collaborators who hosed off to Canada after the war

I was just watching a video put about by Anders Nielsen that said that pretty much said the first sentence verbatim.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Ardennes posted:

I was just watching a video put about by Anders Nielsen that said that pretty much said the first sentence verbatim.

I forget where, but I think it was a guy in an FT article that said they need to accumulate materiel for the '26-'27 offensive operation, and I just did a mental double take.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's a workable approach if you assume that there's a steadily and infinitely regenerating (above replacement level) pool ukrainian men of appropriate age willing to die for a somewhat improved peace accord and/or to spite russia

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
don't round up furries, do you realize just how much of your country's internet or plane engineering rests entirely on them?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

FurFest 2024 coming to you live from Red Square.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I forget where, but I think it was a guy in an FT article that said they need to accumulate materiel for the '26-'27 offensive operation, and I just did a mental double take.

Admittedly, they can only go far narrative wise, so the end result is they can admit certain things but obviously the Russians will be "toast" in 2027, 2028 at worst.

That may be part of the problem here, the Russians probably don't feel like a direct confrontation with the West unless if it is necessary at this point, and a suddenly collapse of Ukrainian positions would probably spur it. That said, eventually, something probably has to be done about it.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

January 6 Survivor posted:

don't round up furries, do you realize just how much of your country's internet or plane engineering rests entirely on them?

I’ve been probed for exploring this phenomenon in detail, but… yes.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

it’s the Crusader Kings approach to war when you get down to the last dozen dudes in the battle screen they’re all 5 star armoured knights because all the poor peasants have died or ran away, and in 2026/7 the collective west will be arming a tiny hamlet of ultra nazis west of lviv

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I support Russia

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

They're just trying to suppress challenges to the Orthodoxy

https://englishrussia.com/2010/02/17/russian-gadget-hackwrench-religion/

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Play time is over.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Uh oh, remembering my fondness for Gadget as a kid...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

*eyebrow raises and keeps raising*

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Regarde Aduck posted:

*eyebrow raises and keeps raising*

Fortunately I'm not in Russia, so this isn't illegal.

*gets probed*

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

furries should never be harmed, let weirdos be weirdos. but its also always ok to make fun of them.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
Furries these days are not like they used to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbQ-om9Z4Rc

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
things were never the same after that time someone tried to gas them all at a convention

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
what about when someone tried to gas them on an internet forum

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Russia is wild. If I wasn't already aware of it being a country, I'd think it couldn't exist.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

vladimir putin: yiff in hell

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Not So Fast posted:

They're just trying to suppress challenges to the Orthodoxy

https://englishrussia.com/2010/02/17/russian-gadget-hackwrench-religion/

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I, uhh, need to leave the thread for a while.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Homeless Friend posted:

:11tea:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Homeless Friend posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

dear furries: we were right