Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Great deal on Nolan N104s: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/nolan/n104_solid_helmet.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting my first paycheck from the new job this week or next week, and I want to buy some gear with it. I'm eyeballing this suit. Has armor, and sliders. I want to start doing track days on the SuMo, and while IMI doesn't require full gear I feel like it might be a good idea.

Should I buy that, or take the $$$ and add some more and go buy a two piece textile or something? Right now I just ride in a Joe Rocket textile/mesh jacket.

Also, what's the thought on MX boots vs Street boots? I'd mostly be wearing combat boots unless I am on a dedicated ride or at a track day.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
Days are getting shorter and I'm already dreading the end of the riding season/summer, does anyone have any experience with heated gloves? Specifically these:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gerbing-7v-fleece-gloves

I like the idea that they're self powered so I'll be able to wear them to football games and other times I'm not on the bike, but I'm worried they won't be warm enough.

I don't really plan on riding once it gets below 45f-ish though.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

tbb9 posted:

Days are getting shorter and I'm already dreading the end of the riding season/summer, does anyone have any experience with heated gloves? Specifically these:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gerbing-7v-fleece-gloves

I like the idea that they're self powered so I'll be able to wear them to football games and other times I'm not on the bike, but I'm worried they won't be warm enough.

I don't really plan on riding once it gets below 45f-ish though.

Where do you live? It's still not even the middle of August.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
You also don't need heated gloves if you're not riding below 40f. Just get a pair of knit liners and some winter gauntlets.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
I live in southern NJ I'm aware it isn't cold yet

Winter is coming

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Great deal on a gauntlet-style, waterproof glove: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/gloves/cortech_by_tour_master/hydro_gt_gloves.html

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Can anyone recommend a mesh jacket that's more 'fitted' and doesn't have gigantic arms? I have a joe rocket pheonix jacket in small that fits pretty well except for the arms - you're need arms 3x the size of mine to fill them up. There's a snap to bring them in a bit at the elbow, but the upper arms are still super bulky. Are they all like this?

Not really looking for leather, being in central texas in August and all.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

the nicker posted:

Can anyone recommend a mesh jacket that's more 'fitted' and doesn't have gigantic arms? I have a joe rocket pheonix jacket in small that fits pretty well except for the arms - you're need arms 3x the size of mine to fill them up. There's a snap to bring them in a bit at the elbow, but the upper arms are still super bulky. Are they all like this?

Dianese and a* and some revit cuts are more slim.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Ordered these today. It doesn't rain a whole lot in Phoenix, but it is monsoon season and I rode in the rain to work. So I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a pair of waterproof, plus I'm kinda hoping they'll work for "winter" here.

Also ordered a pair of Icon Compound Overpants. $140 on competition accessories. White so they'll match my jacket, but not my red bike. No black in my size :(.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Couple of gear related notes:

This is my Knox Handroid following the crash. It took a lot of damage, but it held together brilliantly. 10/10 would buy again.

Not pictured, is my iPad mini. Remarkably, not only was it not stolen by the impound lot, but it was in my Giant Loop tank bag. The bag sat outside through several rain storms before my insurance could get my bike to a shop. The iPad stayed bone dry and powered up immediately. I am impressed.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
drat, those are some expensive-rear end gloves.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The way I see it, I write software for a living, and those gloves represent less than a day's pay. I'd have a hard time coding if I injured my hands.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
True that. I'm setting aside a significant chunk of my next paycheck for gear. I need a new riding suit, and I'm going to look at a one-piece leather suit for track days tomorrow.

Jeans, combat boots and an ill-fitting mesh/textile jacket ain't cutting it anymore.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Schroeder91 posted:

Also ordered a pair of Icon Compound Overpants. $140 on competition accessories. White so they'll match my jacket, but not my red bike. No black in my size :(.

I just got these same pants so that I could finally complete my gear selection, and they were a phenominal price.

Of course they only had white, and all my bikes/jackets/other gear are red, black, black and red or blue for my SV, so they look stupid as gently caress no matter what I wear. Obviously I need a white jacket and helmet so I can go for the Stormtrooper look.

They're pretty awesome though, leather in all the right places, self-hemmable which is an awesome idea, zippers are well thought out and placed. Only gripe is no adjustable knee armor, it happens to fit me perfectly, but I think for someone that was shorter and portlier than myself they'd fit pretty crappy.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

the nicker posted:

I wear this http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=8097 and I am an elf man in Dallas. Has stood up drat well for nearly a year now. Is as comfortable as it can get for mesh gear in hot climates. The only downside is that the armor is cheap. Elbows are merely okay, back pad is some kind of lightweight foam.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

kuffs posted:

I wear this http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=8097 and I am an elf man in Dallas. Has stood up drat well for nearly a year now. Is as comfortable as it can get for mesh gear in hot climates. The only downside is that the armor is cheap. Elbows are merely okay, back pad is some kind of lightweight foam.

Awesome, thanks. edit: except that my size is sold out/discontinued :/

ShaneB posted:

Dianese and a* and some revit cuts are more slim.

Looks like the dainese air flux might fit the bill, thanks!

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 14, 2014

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Revzilla has my jacket down to $150 for anyone looking. Pretty great jacket especially at that price. Really great airflow and the thermal liner works really well. (Only tried it at around 55F on the highway though)
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...tm_medium=email

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Gear shopping, and sort of digging the Joe Rocket Military Spec jacket. While it is almost certainly not true milspec, it does come with a fabulous orange bustier:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse/view_product_images/2911

Opinions/experiences welcome. Wading into new territory here, as I've always done vintage leather by Brooks, Hein Gericke, Schott, LL Bean, etc. I've never been much of an accessory ho, but the times they are a changin'

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Marv Hushman posted:

Gear shopping, and sort of digging the Joe Rocket Military Spec jacket. While it is almost certainly not true milspec, it does come with a fabulous orange bustier:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse/view_product_images/2911

I thought that was the milspec part. Most (all?) Bases require both rider and passenger to water high vis clothing

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Do most brick and mortar stores let you try on a helmet before buying one, provided collateral of course.

I'd really like to try the Shoei GT-Air helmet before I drop almost 700 bones on one. I'd like to know if it's really as quiet as people claim.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

They'll let you try them on in the store, I don't think they'll let you take it on the road unless you've basically paid for it, would require removing the visor stickers to be legal for a start.

I think if you had the cash there they'd probably be cool with it, one of them will probably come out for a ride with you if they let you though.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Shimrod posted:

I think if you had the cash there they'd probably be cool with it, one of them will probably come out for a ride with you if they let you though.

This will never happen.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So, looking for the following:

Decent boots for ADV riding and track days in the $250-300 range
Decent gloves for same in same
Maybe a decent two-piece textile suit in the $400 range? I have a JR Textile Jacket that doesn't fit so well anymore due to weight loss, and a one-piece FS Leather Suit that's really just for track days.

Eyeballing the Handroids for gloves, based on the Safety Dance patented Enhanced Reviewing Process.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Akion posted:

Decent gloves for same in same
Maybe a decent two-piece textile suit in the $400 range? I have a JR Textile Jacket that doesn't fit so well anymore due to weight loss, and a one-piece FS Leather Suit that's really just for track days.

Eyeballing the Handroids for gloves, based on the Safety Dance patented Enhanced Reviewing Process.

I recently sperged out about boots. ADV and track are pretty much mutually exclusive. You can make compromises on either to meet in the middle. ADV is mostly comfort for long days with enough protection and weather proofing, while track is all about protection.

$250 will get you any high end motoGP spec glove you want, really.

For $400 on textile I'd personally suggest Revit Airwave jacket and pants. If you don't want mesh feel free to look elsewhere.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

I recently sperged out about boots. ADV and track are pretty much mutually exclusive. You can make compromises on either to meet in the middle. ADV is mostly comfort for long days with enough protection and weather proofing, while track is all about protection.

$250 will get you any high end motoGP spec glove you want, really.

For $400 on textile I'd personally suggest Revit Airwave jacket and pants. If you don't want mesh feel free to look elsewhere.

What about MX boots? Same deal?

As far as the textile suit goes, I'm mostly wanting something I can use through the fall/winter here in CO, though I don't mind it being a bit light and layering up underneath.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
MX boots are high and crazy stiff/reinforced to help you with jumps and dropping a dirtbike on your leg.

Track boots have a lot of torsional protection to prevent you from snapping your ankle in a crash where you flop around a lot, and are significantly lower and lighter. They might hold up to dropping a dirtbike on your leg but probably not.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Wicaeed posted:

Do most brick and mortar stores let you try on a helmet before buying one, provided collateral of course.

I'd really like to try the Shoei GT-Air helmet before I drop almost 700 bones on one. I'd like to know if it's really as quiet as people claim.
Cycle gear has a 7 day, no questions return on policy.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

SeaborneClink posted:

Cycle gear has a 7 day, no questions return on policy.

Last time I was at a cyclegear they had nothing but their lovely house brands with some token horribly overpriced hjc/shoei/arai stuff.

VV If you liked the Dianese Crazy Titanium model then look into their Carbon Covers and Druids.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 20, 2014

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
What are the most comfortable gauntlet gloves under $200? I bought both alpinestars sp2 (in both L and XL)and cortech latigo rr's and both fit poorly and were uncomfortable so I returned them. So frustrating. I found some crazy titanium dianese gloves at my local ~Ducati~ dealer which fit great but they were $450 and thats a bit more than I want to spend.

I'm thinking of just taking a trip to revzilla when I'll be in philly next month but I really can't rock my current gloves anymore which have holes in them.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Doublepost

Voltage fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 20, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I have Alpinestar SP1s that are pretty comfy. My only complaint with them is that they're pretty much incompatible with my Dainese jacket.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Marxalot posted:

Last time I was at a cyclegear they had nothing but their lovely house brands with some token horribly overpriced hjc/shoei/arai stuff.

I'm not sure that I'd quantify MSRP as "overpriced" are Shoei helmets expensive, yes but cyclegear actually has them priced 10% less than MSRP, on sale for 610 but :shrug:

There's Icon and Bilt stuff on their website. Same return policy also applies and they pay for return shipping.

Revzilla also offers 30 day returns, but you have to pay for return shipping.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

SeaborneClink posted:

I'm not sure that I'd quantify MSRP as "overpriced" are Shoei helmets expensive, yes but cyclegear actually has them priced 10% less than MSRP, on sale for 610 but :shrug:

There's Icon and Bilt stuff on their website. Same return policy also applies and they pay for return shipping.

Revzilla also offers 30 day returns, but you have to pay for return shipping.

I remember seeing a solid black RF1100 for sale at just north of $500. That was a long time ago though, so I could be wrong.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
RF1100 is down to 280 for solids and 320 for graphics. That's if you can find one though. All current Shoeis are 10% below msrp. 500 for solid, 600 for graphics. Each score has something a little different. Mine doesn't carry Icon or Arai in shock but our next store over does. We have the AGV K3 and K4.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I bought a AGV K-3 helmet today. I probably should have made a post in here BEFORE putting the money down but oh well. Anyone have one? Complaints? Praise?

I also bought it in the Gothic 46 design so I'm sure that'll entail endless mockery for having Rossi's number on the chin and VR on the back.

Also it's my first ever motorcycle helmet I've purchased.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Akion posted:

If you mean 'ADV riding' in the traditional 'touring where you might go down a dirt road once in a blue moon' you could try these:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-st-trq-tour-goretex

A marginal step down from full-zoot raceboot protection, Gore-Tex. A little higher than your price range, although if you wear size 44 I have a used pair I'd sell. I've posted before about how I don't like the velcro on the calf adjusters.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you mean 'ADV riding' in the traditional 'touring where you might go down a dirt road once in a blue moon' you could try these:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-st-trq-tour-goretex

A marginal step down from full-zoot raceboot protection, Gore-Tex. A little higher than your price range, although if you wear size 44 I have a used pair I'd sell. I've posted before about how I don't like the velcro on the calf adjusters.

I like dirt roads. Also, I ride a SuMo, which is what is tempting me towards MX boots for the "Drop the bike on my leg" factor.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Wirth1000 posted:

I bought a AGV K-3 helmet today. I probably should have made a post in here BEFORE putting the money down but oh well. Anyone have one? Complaints? Praise?

I also bought it in the Gothic 46 design so I'm sure that'll entail endless mockery for having Rossi's number on the chin and VR on the back.

Also it's my first ever motorcycle helmet I've purchased.

Awesome helmet if it fits you. The K3 has a bit of a weird internal shape to it. Really good airflow as the chin vent goes right into your face. The chin curtain is poo poo and never stays in, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
What are your opinions on kevlar jeans, are they worth it? Do they provide significantly more protection than just jeans? Same goes for riding shoes. I can't really rock up to social events in ATG.