Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

I'm oscillating between abject love and hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Amazingly, no! I looked and found my copy of the two books. It's A Catered Murder and A Catered Wedding by Isis Crawford.

quote:

Bernadette and Libby Simmons have been working twelve-hour days at their store, A Taste of Heaven. And in between whipping up sweet treats and catering high school graduation parties, the sisters have to fit one more event into their busy schedule: catering a high-society wedding that takes a very low turn. . .

Leeza Sharp is getting ready to have the wedding of her dreams. She's got a $25,000 dress (gorgeous and made to order), a rich Estonian fiancé (head of a multimillion dollar caviar empire) and a four-star menu (planned by none other than Bernadette and Libby Simmons). Never mind that she's not really in love with her boring, bland groom-to-be.

But the dream wedding quickly turns into a nightmare. Just hours before she's scheduled to walk down the aisle, Leeza takes an arrow to the chest--and drops dead. Now Libby and Bernadette have more on their minds than pouring Cristal and cutting up wedding cake: they've got an archery-inclined killer to find. . .

Includes 6 Delectable Recipes for You to Try!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

quote:

Includes 6 Delectable Recipes for You to Try!

Now if only my DM had done this when I was playing a Ranger who was actually an exotic game chef

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DarkLich posted:

Currently running a 5th Edition DnD Eberron Campaign. The party recently required a base of operations, a tower in Sharn. The plan is to grow it by a floor each level, granting a party wide bonus depending on the establishment they choose. For example, they chose a market for the first floor, to gain access to discounted magic items.

To help visualize this in roll20, I used Terraria to build a cutaway of the tower. It includes rooms for each of the characters, and NPCs they recruit along the way.

That is a really cool idea. Personally, I used The Sims to lay out a dungeon recently. Doesn't look nearly as nice because all I was doing was walls, doors, and occasionally carpets to indicate different areas. Transferring it over to roll20 was easier than building it straight-up would have been.

Cassa posted:

Also how do y'all lay out your 'dungeons', as that's usually something I'm never happy with.

Remember that usually dungeons are something, in addition to being a vehicle for bringing monster faces in range of PC fists. If you have living inhabitants, those inhabitants usually need places to eat, sleep, and relax. Nonliving or eldritch inhabitants have more freedom of environment, but often have a purpose beyond screaming and leaping. Your described situation may be different, but usually it should feel like your players interrupted something.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dareon posted:

Remember that usually dungeons are something, in addition to being a vehicle for bringing monster faces in range of PC fists. If you have living inhabitants, those inhabitants usually need places to eat, sleep, and relax. Nonliving or eldritch inhabitants have more freedom of environment, but often have a purpose beyond screaming and leaping. Your described situation may be different, but usually it should feel like your players interrupted something.

Like each dungeon has a clock, or something?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What are some good random encounter tables and which books? Does anyone remember what book the Judges Guilds random encounter tables were in?

This is for hex crawl lite.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Hollismason posted:

What are some good random encounter tables and which books? Does anyone remember what book the Judges Guilds random encounter tables were in?

This is for hex crawl lite.

They’re in Ready Ref Sheets. Volume 1 (meaning City State of the Invincible Overlord content) although I don’t think they ever got to later volumes.

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

I ran my first session of Ryuutama and my players got really into it. The rules seem pretty straightforward, but I was a little confused about weather or not monsters are able to use objects or not. In the section where it talks about objects it says that PLAYERS can use them, but there are instances in the enemies section that refer to monsters creating objects or being able to use more than one. So I'm not sure if they are intended to be able to use them or not.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Does anyone have a tutorial on how to make macros for DnD 4e and/or Savage Worlds on RollD20?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Last night our group concluded a year+ long adventure. It's simultaneously satisfying and very meloncholy to bring something so big and long to a close. Do people post postmortems / recaps in this thread? I'd like to write a postmortem thing about what worked better than expected, what didn't work as well as expected, unexpected places the players took the story, etc.

To celebrate the end, one of the players made a kickass illustration of the party:

... and I secretly made tote bags for all of the players, with the name of a shop that the PCs ended up frequenting:

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 16, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
That tote bag is amazing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Polo-Rican posted:

Last night our group concluded a year+ long adventure. It's simultaneously satisfying and very meloncholy to bring something so big and long to a close. Do people post postmortems / recaps in this thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460258 is where I usually see them.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Leraika posted:

That tote bag is amazing.

Thanks - Snagdar's was an example of an improvised thing becoming a notable part of the story.

• Players enter main town, immediately ask where they can get food
• I'd written down some business names before but hadn't fleshed everything out - I said there was a place named "Snagdar's" and that they sold hot buns
• Players also order coffee - are very enthused about coffee - and take an unusual interest in Snagdar himself
• Once I realized that the players were invested in Snagdar, I came up with the idea to have a rival coffee chain named Tambucks in the town
• Players then began evangelizing Snagdar's, giving him business ideas so he can compete with Tambucks: culminating with teaching him magic so he can use prestidigitation to create iced coffee

here's a bigger mockup (i don't have a good photo of the actual tote)

Ah cool, never seen this thread before! Thanks!

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 17, 2018

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Polo-Rican posted:

Last night our group concluded a year+ long adventure. It's simultaneously satisfying and very meloncholy to bring something so big and long to a close. Do people post postmortems / recaps in this thread? I'd like to write a postmortem thing about what worked better than expected, what didn't work as well as expected, unexpected places the players took the story, etc.

To celebrate the end, one of the players made a kickass illustration of the party:

... and I secretly made tote bags for all of the players, with the name of a shop that the PCs ended up frequenting:

Stuff like this makes me desperate to start running a game again.

That looks like a very Goode Dogge, or Wolfe or whatever. It looks like a good boy and his neckscarf is very handsome.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Phrosphor posted:

That looks like a very Goode Dogge, or Wolfe or whatever. It looks like a good boy and his neckscarf is very handsome.

it's technically a fearsome wolf but everyone thinks of it as a dog because we've been representing it with a little rubber golden retriever mini

Serf
May 5, 2011

So I'm working on implementing a hex-based combat grid for Stars Without Number, and I'm running into an issue that I can't seem to solve. I want to draw like walls and cover and whatnot, but I'm not sure how to create straight lines that don't bisect hexes and make everything look terrible. I'm doing this in Roll20, which already means you can't use the built-in snap-to-grid tool, so drawing is even more of a pain. Anyone got any tips on how to draw walls and stuff in a hex grid?

For now I'm using a zone-based system instead, but I would love to get these hexes working.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Serf posted:

So I'm working on implementing a hex-based combat grid for Stars Without Number, and I'm running into an issue that I can't seem to solve. I want to draw like walls and cover and whatnot, but I'm not sure how to create straight lines that don't bisect hexes and make everything look terrible. I'm doing this in Roll20, which already means you can't use the built-in snap-to-grid tool, so drawing is even more of a pain. Anyone got any tips on how to draw walls and stuff in a hex grid?

For now I'm using a zone-based system instead, but I would love to get these hexes working.

It's a 3d model rather than roll20, but this guy makes straight walls look super natural by having the wall base composed of hex fragments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr0T8EIz2Ec

you could probably make it look as natural in roll20 by shading the hex fragments bordering the wall so that their color references the wall color (but i've never really used roll20 so i don't know how hard this would be to pull off well)

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
This points to ultimately the solution - you want to make the walls bisect hexes, not try to draw them between hexes. This may feel like making the walls too thick but keep in mind that the grid is already an abstracted representation of space.

The wall hexes are blocked because you're standing too close to the wall to do things usefully. Alternatively, for the same justification, you can count them as "squeezed" spaces in whatever mechanical terms make sense for what you're playing.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
I haven't posted in forever since I've been meaning to catch up on the >500 posts I haven't read
Today is the day I give up and admit I'm never going to do it :smug:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Sometimes you just have to declare thread bankruptcy, slash and burn the whole thing, and move on.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think I may just make my own random encounter table using Wilder lands hex numbers and like some modifications from first edition and judges guild.

I don't like that it's just mostly monsters.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Need advice on experience to give.

A little background. My players just hit level two in a homebrew campaign. The adventure started in dwarf lands where someone has been killing off triton outposts with undead. The tritons have an agreement with the dwarves to guard the ports in return for protection on the seas and favored trade.

In the next session, players might visit a farm run by a tiefling. In my setting the tiefling culture is very accepting of necromancy. They have rules though, no kids, only those who choose to be animated upon death etc. This tiefling has nothing to do with the attacks and just settled with his family and some undead servants to live a quiet life.

The two broad outcomes are

1. Leave the guy alone but piss off the dwarves authorities for not stamping out undead. The tiefling will become a welcome ally.

2. Kill the farmstead and gain some loot and the appreciation of the dwarves.

These are the main outcomes I foresee, but will roll with others if the players go different directions. My question is how to dole out xp in the outcome where the farm isn’t wiped out? If they bring peace between the farm and the dwarves they should get some xp but how much? Would just doing the equivalent of the killing xp work?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Give the players the same amount of XP whichever option they take. Otherwise you're encouraging one side of what should be an interesting decision.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

That’s what I wanted to do. Same xp but different opportunities open depending on what they do. So just figure out the combat xp and go with that should work?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Yeah. Generally speaking it's better to think in terms of resolving encounters than in terms of killing monsters. For the same reason you don't (or shouldn't) dock XP for enemies that flee combat, because routing a line is beating it and the XP is for overcoming challenges, avoiding combat altogether through a peaceful resolution is, similarly, a victory and should get the same reward.

If you're into calculating XP, calculate the potential XP for the encounter and then give that out when they resolve it, regardless of how they resolve it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
You should absolutely take Paramimetic's advice about thinking in terms of resolving encounters to heart. Once the PCs have resolved the situation, one way or the other, they get the XP for that resolution. That should be fixed and immutable. The flex point is in how they resolve it - if they leave the dude alone, they get a buddy at the cost of pissing off the dwarves, but if they kill him the dwarves are happy but later they won't have a friend on hand who'll recognize the necromantic sigils on the important whatchamacallit, but if they find some way of coming to an accommodation with both sides they get both benefits at a reduced efficacy (the dwarves begrudgingly allow the tiefling to stick around but some of them are mad about it and are less friendly to the PCs than they might otherwise be, while the tiefling has to agree to destroy his necromantic texts and so won't be able to look up Quest Info later, but he will be able to remember a few hints to set the PCs on the right track), and so on and so forth.

XP is XP; don't withhold that. The PCs solve a problem, they get the XP for solving the problem. It's everything other than XP where you should be able to do a bit of give and take.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Only thing I'd suggest, other than giving the same amount of XP for resolving the encounter each way as above, is to make sure that the XP is earned--or rather, that each way has a challenge to actually overcome.

If they want to destroy the farmstead, they have to fight the tiefling necromancer and his family/servants. What's the challenge if they choose to leave him alone? If they resolve the encounter by simply doing nothing (not killing him), that's a somewhat boring alternative resolution to a necromancer encounter with skeletons and ghouls and so on.

If they want to be friends with him, perhaps he's untrusting that the players aren't trying to double-cross him, and wants a favor to cement their friendship? Maybe the dwarven authorities want proof that they destroyed the farmstead, and they need to find a way to fake it somehow?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Good advice from all. I really like the idea of him asking for something to prove he won’t be double crossed.

I had thought if they don’t kill him as the dwarves want the nearby guard captain would say that his garrison is marching for the farm in 2 days. Bloodshed will happen if the players don’t somehow broker out a deal

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Maybe a group of dwarves show up as they're talking to him and, seeing this tiefling with a bunch of adventurers around, try to hire them to kill him. If the PCs refuse, they're all "well we're gonna go at him even if you don't" and it's the PCs' job to prevent a bloodbath.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This goes for giving XP as well as anything else where there are two alternatives, and it's something I have to constantly remind myself of: your players won't ever know what would have happened on the other path. They can't go to gamefaqs or a wiki to see they could have gamed the situation for more XP. Therefore for the benefit of your metagamers, always give them good rewards, so they get the feeling they picked right.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

that being said I'm running an adventure right now where the party works for some dwarves for the promise of a magic item, they've talked themselves into believing it's a magnificent magic sword, and I'm so looking forward to revealing it's a magic beer stein

e: gonna describe it as one of the super tacky souvenir ones for tourists, too

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
or just tell them to level up after every "adventure" and do away with XP

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

I had wondered about this. After the first session I did an auto level up since they were fairly close anyway.

Is there any good advice on doing just milestone leveling and not bothering with exp?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Nash posted:

Is there any good advice on doing just milestone leveling and not bothering with exp?

just do it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah just give them a level every two or three sessions.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Tell your group you don't feel like calculating exp values and make it one less thing for them to track, and tell them they'll level up by story beats/adventure progression.

If anyone complains about not doing exp, call them a nerd and tell them to get over it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In the GURPS 1955 mercenary game I'm doing here, PCs who are sent on a mission as NPCs get 1 CP when they return alive and probably 4 or 5 CPs after completing a fully roleplayed special op. It's meant to be a pulpy game, so I'm cool letting them expand their skills and attributes faster than is realistic.

Just give them XP every few sessions, or a smaller amount of XP at the end of each session.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Worrying about XP from monsters is dumb and only less painful way of dealing with XP is just lumping it in with stuff like gold which how it used to work. Even then it's annoying and better off just saying x sessions or encounters are a level.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Nash posted:

Experience/character advancement mechanics are central to the incentives at work behind how a game operates, and those incentives will shape the emergent play that results from those systems. If you only get XP for killing people/monsters and taking their poo poo, you will generally find as many ways as you can to kill people/monsters and take their poo poo. If you don't get XP for it, suddenly getting into combat with people/monsters is a hell of a lot less attractive because then it simply becomes a resource suck (HP, time, healing, etc). You'll be encouraged to find other ways around problems.

If you want to foster other behaviors, ditch the stereotypical XP mechanics entirely. There are scads of other experience/advancement mechanics out there, and some of them are really awesome. I especially like the player-determined ones like 1st edition 7th Sea and The Shadows of Yesterday, where players can pick certain activities, behaviors, or story elements that generate XP. Apocalypse World's "highlight" mechanic is fun too (where if you make rolls that use a highlighted stat, you get XP; if your "Hard" is highlighted, you're likely to get violent because doing so nets XP, but if your "Hot" is highlighted, it doesn't matter how many people you kill, you'll never get XP for it. But if you can manipulate someone...).

The easiest solution is to just give them some fixed amount of XP per session, or a level every few sessions, but it can be hard to decide how much/many fits with the tempo of your overall story arc. Or you could just switch systems and be done with it. I don't want to say, "play a better game," but D&D is a goddamned dinosaur at this point. There are so many better games out there that solve this problem for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Scion 2e (and other games from that set that OPP is developping) gives the character the opportunity to define their own goals. You pick a short-term deed, a long-term deed and a band-wide deed (the last one must be picked with the rest of the group) and whenever you accomplish one of those you get XP. I like it because it gives players agency and it lets the GM know what sort of stories they would like to tell for said characters.