Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MMAgCh posted:

It's okay to be dumb, ColdPie. The world will always need people who buy magazines about car stereos.

Well maybe we can settle their debts if they sell their car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

lmao I normally hate people trying to do stuff in an Achewood vein but this line of conjecture absolutely rules

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
whenever someone says something extremely stupid i still whistle loudly and say "man, that's some stiff coal"

nobody knows what it means but i seem to get my point across

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

paranoid randroid posted:

whenever someone says something extremely stupid i still whistle loudly and say "man, that's some stiff coal"

i know the reference and i wouldn't know what you meant

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
In my experience the most useful Achewood phrase is "rough chuckle".

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

MikeCrotch posted:

This is correct.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

3rding rough chuckle

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I like the Nice Pete habit of capitalizing Important Words. Eg, "Pat cried but he did not Admit that he cried "

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

bony tony posted:

I like the Nice Pete habit of capitalizing Important Words. Eg, "Pat cried but he did not Admit that he cried "

So does seemingly everyone else on the internet.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

One of my favorite visual gags is how miffed Nice Pete is when Pat outs him

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I still love the "there's a complicated power dynamic in that house" comic where it is established that Pat being a dick is more powerful than Pat being terrified of Nice Pete.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

when an Achewood panel pops up in comments and you weren't expecting it

https://twitter.com/ssCxls/status/1089180757887799296

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Chickenwalker posted:

So does seemingly everyone else on the internet.

Google keyboard will do that when I'm dictating sometimes and it always reminds me of that strip.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

sub in "horse trash", "a stone blow", or "applesauce!" and it's me. "Weird ideas about being a man" and "horse dogg maniac" gets some play.

I wish I had an excuse to tell somebody if they see me coming they "better jump right in the nearest coffin. I ain't care if it's yo birthday and your momma needs the coffin 'cause she's dead."

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 27, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MikeCrotch posted:

in my opinion, second to "is from circumstances", but it's close

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

sometimes I get to adapt Ray's Airwolf line to a situation, and Circumstances come up a lot, but the one I use the most is "Whoa, THAT answer could use some work!"

EDIT:

Chickenwalker posted:

The correct answer is that you shouldn't say internet stuff in real life at all, because it's not as funny or cool as you think it is and nobody you're saying it to gets it and also it makes you look like a big weirdo.

Like, say it to friends who mutually enjoy Achewood, fine. Don't go around spouting random Achewood quotes to complete strangers hoping for a response or appreciation.

shank 'em if you got 'em

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 27, 2019

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The correct answer is that you shouldn't say internet stuff in real life at all, because it's not as funny or cool as you think it is and nobody you're saying it to gets it and also it makes you look like a big weirdo.

Like, say it to friends who mutually enjoy Achewood, fine. Don't go around spouting random Achewood quotes to complete strangers hoping for a response or appreciation.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
One time at work I overheard the guy in the next cubical say "oh snap" out loud in conversation. It was awful.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Rough chuckles is fine.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There is a quality to proper Achewood-isms that goes past their origins and makes them sensible even to people with zero familiarity with the comic strip. "Rough chuckles" and dudes who are from Circumstances are at the top of this pyramid.

I have gotten some use at cocktail parties out of evaluating the strength of a beverage by how scared I am of cops.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Who amongst us hasn't asked if anyone wants to know why our cookies taste soooooo bad?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Stringent posted:

Rough chuckles is fine.

I think it predates achewood but idk, I've just heard it irl from strangers a handful of times over the last couple decades

"weird ideas about being a man" is probably the one that gets the most play for me these days, and "such as" as in "do you want such as Chinese food tonight" but it's not like I consciously took on that linguistic mantle as much as it wormed its way in over twenty years of reading a web comic

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I mostly quote "*fingers ban card thoughtfully*". Not in person, of course.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
You can do anything you want in life.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Chickenwalker posted:

There really ain't anything to "get" about any of these phrases, though. They're meaningful because they're artful language, not because a funny stuffed animal said them.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I use the word "reticent" continually in formal settings. One day someone's going to call me out that it came from the GOF arc.

I also employed "Samuel H. Invisible" once.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ColdPie posted:

I am deeply embarrassed to admit I had to Google why Todd's answer is wrong.

What was Todd's question, again?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Who What Now posted:

What was Todd's question, again?

If you pass the person currently in second place during a race, what position are you in?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I prefer "We got out the chessboard but you playing whack a mole"...

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BizarroAzrael posted:

It was brought up that he couldn't convince a convict that he'd been to prison despite doing so in the Badass games.
I think Pat convinced the convict, but in true Pat fashion pissed off the convict so much due to Barber Opinions that he lost.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I always wondered what Miami's deal with salad was but now I just figure Onstad hadn't had some greens in a while or something and he had salad on the brain

Also I just noticed that every contender in the badass games is wearing one of their tanks: Lyle's prestained with booze sweat, Vlad's ripped from stretching over his enormous metal frame, Cornelius... Well, for years I thought he was wearing an apron, for such as baking your own goddamn staff of life.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Wanderer posted:

There is a quality to proper Achewood-isms that goes past their origins and makes them sensible even to people with zero familiarity with the comic strip.

This. It ain't because you hope someone recognizes it, but because it's the right phrase at the right time. You can tell some country fried rear end in a top hat you're gonna turn him into cowboy sauce without having to add "do you get it? it's from the internet" to the end.

Also

Moe_Rahn posted:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

You can tell some country fried rear end in a top hat you're gonna turn him into cowboy sauce

lol yeah goons do this all the time

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

This. It ain't because you hope someone recognizes it, but because it's the right phrase at the right time. You can tell some country fried rear end in a top hat you're gonna turn him into cowboy sauce without having to add "do you get it? it's from the internet" to the end.

Also

Yeah, achewood phrases are perfect for some situations and often I’ll use one but not realize it came from Achewood until after.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I am only now sad that I've never done this in a multiplayer video game, because I would absolutely use it there.

It seems like it'd be particularly apt for Red Dead Online.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

that was supposed to be can't, but

Moe_Rahn posted:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Scags McDouglas posted:

I use the word "reticent" continually in formal settings. One day someone's going to call me out that it came from the GOF arc.

no that's a real word from the before times, c1830

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Phy posted:

I always wondered what Miami's deal with salad was but now I just figure Onstad hadn't had some greens in a while or something and he had salad on the brain

Tossing salad is prison slang for eating rear end

Unless that was :thejoke:

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I hope I can one day tell someone they'll be "tossing more salad than a seasick rabbit".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MikeCrotch posted:

Tossing salad is prison slang for eating rear end

Unless that was :thejoke:

Go back and read the strip again, he uses phrases that use the word “salad” three times. There’s the eating rear end one, he threatens to tear pats throat out with salad tongs, and he refers to Lyle’s “salad days”