Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Here we go again:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Did we miss the boat on GOGO? I'm half tempted to dump a couple bucks in it to see where it goes. So far this week it's jumped 50%.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

jvick posted:

Did we miss the boat on GOGO? I'm half tempted to dump a couple bucks in it to see where it goes. So far this week it's jumped 50%.
The slow money still keeps piling in. Must be business travelers who use it in-flight.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

jvick posted:

Been riding it since 17. Willing to bet this was largely a short squeeze given short interest and a small float. Thinking a secondary would be a great buying opportunity, unlocked shares should attract more institutions into the name.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I actually used it just yesterday on a flight. The price seemed steep for just one flight ($21 for the flight, though I may have been able to get away with the 3 hr one for like $18 or whatever it was)

Their target demo is definitely business travelers who will most likely write off or expense the cost, so they can probably keep getting away with increasing the cost when they are the only game in town for certain airlines. Unless the FAA lets people use satellite internet (who uses that anymore though and would it even work on the plane?) or cell towers somehow start being able to reach up to the plane (never) they'll have a monopoly. Here's a fun little purchase history of what I've paid over the years. I don't use it often, but you can see the trend. :shepface:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fougera posted:

Been riding it since 17. Willing to bet this was largely a short squeeze given short interest and a small float. Thinking a secondary would be a great buying opportunity, unlocked shares should attract more institutions into the name.
Short interest of 17% is high but not crazy high... but 6.69m float? Jesus loving christ.

edit: Don't forget options expiration is tomorrow. I might throw some money at Dec calls just to make myself feel better.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 14, 2013

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Minty Swagger posted:

I actually used it just yesterday on a flight. The price seemed steep for just one flight ($21 for the flight, though I may have been able to get away with the 3 hr one for like $18 or whatever it was)

Their target demo is definitely business travelers who will most likely write off or expense the cost, so they can probably keep getting away with increasing the cost when they are the only game in town for certain airlines. Unless the FAA lets people use satellite internet (who uses that anymore though and would it even work on the plane?) or cell towers somehow start being able to reach up to the plane (never) they'll have a monopoly. Here's a fun little purchase history of what I've paid over the years. I don't use it often, but you can see the trend. :shepface:

GOGO's edge is ATG spectrum, aka cell towers going skywards. They own all of it now; the FCC is supposedly opening up a few more Mhz so we will see if someone makes a move. Regardless, what will be up for bid will only be a fraction of what Gogo already owns. Their recent iteration, ATG-4 is a pretty good improvement. They are also going to complement it with GTO satellite connectivity which will make it even better. Satellites have better throughput but worse latency (cuz its far away. Jetblue and SOuthwest use this Supposedly the next generation satellites, Ka Signal, will greatly improve throughput but latency issues remains the same.

So yea, talk about a competitive moat. Not to mention the captive audience. Gogo is in the process of offering more services for its subscription (onboard entertainment, text and talk, etc) so all of this should keep its pricing intact

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Could be that I was on an old plane with an old setup on gear, but the performance I got on the flight was pathetic and usually is from what I remember past times I have used it. Just barely enough for email and some really basic web browsing, but then again that's all I really needed it for, so I guess again they know what they're doing haha.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Ya ATG-4 rollout is still in process, but even then they don't allow certain services like Netflix.

What really sold me was my experience flying from Boston to NYC, a 30 minute flight, offered at $5. lovely bandwidth sure, but enough to hook up my iphone and browse facebook and reddit. Call it sad, but I'd rather pay for overpriced lovely internet than overpriced lovely food and I think my preference is pretty typical in this day and age.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

Inverse Icarus posted:

I'm not allowed to do it because I'm an employee, and it breaks my heart every time because it's pretty much guaranteed money at this point.

Did anyone short CSCO on earnings?

Better hope they did. Down nearly 11% today.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Mills posted:

Applied for Freelancer IPO in decent retail size and got refunded full amount. Not happy.

Edit: Think it will at least double when it lists Friday. Urge to vomit.

Applied for $50k at 0.50c per share. Just opened $2.50. Good bye $200,000.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
FNMA popped today for anyone holding onto that.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Harry posted:

Bruce Berkowitz, you crazy bastard you.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Mills posted:

I got excited about my 100 buck gain today. I'm doing it wrong.

Apollo_Creed
Aug 4, 2002

I am the Master of Disaster.

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

Thoughts on DATA? I really like the software and has no debt but it's ev/ebitda is -1.75k lol

A little bit late here, but I love DATA. Growing like crazy, destroyed expectations last Q and guided up. Business intelligence and data viz is just getting started.

Plus, every person I know that uses the software absolutely loves it.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Harry posted:

I own a couple thousand shares as a small high risk gamble. If I lose it, no big deal, but the upside potential is huge if congress ever decides to allow Fannie to go private again.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Mills posted:

Have you ever gotten into an IPO with only 50k? I thought you'd need several hundred K to actually get a shot.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Wouldn't have mattered; there wasn't enough to go around. I've run the maths on the numbers that have been released and insto and big-name retail ended up taking it all down. Most IPOs it's who you know, not the size of your bid [case in point, one of the top 20 investors who bought in only wanted 250k so 50k wouldn't have been too far down that ranking].

Demon Theory
Feb 1, 2012
What are people's thoughts on HCI Group Inc (NYSE:HCI)? I bought 200 shares for 25$ in April and its at 47.71 now. I'm tempted to throw more money at it since their growth has been phenomenal so far. The almost 100% gain in a few months scares me though, definitely since it's got a low market cap. I just feel a big dip even though the fundamentals seem solid to me.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So SLCO got trading suspended today until the 29th of November.

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Whatcha gonna do? When they come for you?
May God bless the FED giving us QE meth. May the SP500 reach 2000 before the end of the year.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Demon Theory posted:

What are people's thoughts on HCI Group Inc (NYSE:HCI)? I bought 200 shares for 25$ in April and its at 47.71 now. I'm tempted to throw more money at it since their growth has been phenomenal so far. The almost 100% gain in a few months scares me though, definitely since it's got a low market cap. I just feel a big dip even though the fundamentals seem solid to me.

I really know nothing about but this company, but is buying a FL property and casualty insurer just basically gambling on the hurricane season?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Would you look at that, an SNE buy is finally paying off for a change.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

TSLA getting killed today but from a purely technical perspective, it did a gap fill so if this holds over the next 2-3 days it could serve as support.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

Acquilae posted:

TSLA getting killed today but from a purely technical perspective, it did a gap fill so if this holds over the next 2-3 days it could serve as support.

http://www.stockhouse.com/news/business-news/2013/11/15/tesla-(tsla)-faces-class-action-suit-after-stock-p Am I the only one who finds this absolutely hillarious?

john ashpool
Jun 29, 2010
If I wanted to leave the stock market for a year or so, where would be a good place to put the money?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

john ashpool posted:

If I wanted to leave the stock market for a year or so, where would be a good place to put the money?

ETF. Go and read the investing thread.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Acquilae posted:

This is great, I'd like to into to TSLA at some point, but it has a ways to go.

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
I'd consider Tesla in the $60-$80 range, but I doubt it'll get there.

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Whatcha gonna do? When they come for you?

Tony Montana posted:

ETF. Go and read the investing thread.

I agree with this or go get a blue chip that pays you a good dividend.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 2h
On Friday last week, Tesla VP of Regulatory Affairs, Jim Chen, invited NHTSA senior staff to conduct a review of Model S

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 2h
If NHTSA identifies an improvement that would materially improve safety, it will be implemented at no cost to all cars.

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 1h
Tesla is also extending the Model S warranty to cover any fire damage even if due solely to a driver accident

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
No costs will be spared! (voice of billionaire)

Greed
Apr 28, 2008
I am a complete noob at stock trading and need a little help. I inherited a TD Ameritrade account from my father and I want me to set a limit on one of my stocks so that it automatically sells if it drops below a certain price. Example: I have a stock at $61 that I want to sell if it drops below $60, I assume when the website is asking for price it means current market price and activation price is the trigger for when the order is placed. Is this correct?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Greed posted:

I am a complete noob at stock trading and need a little help. I inherited a TD Ameritrade account from my father and I want me to set a limit on one of my stocks so that it automatically sells if it drops below a certain price. Example: I have a stock at $61 that I want to sell if it drops below $60, I assume when the website is asking for price it means current market price and activation price is the trigger for when the order is placed. Is this correct?

There's the price where if the stock drops below, it activates the stop. The other price is the minimum price at which the system will try to sell the stock.

So if you set the numbers at $60 activation and $55 price, when the stock drops below 60$, the system will try to sell your stock at $55 and above.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

Greed posted:

Can we get some info on what you're trying to sell / why? It might not be adventageous to set a limit on a stock that has historically erratic prices or high volume trading. See AMD if you want proof of this.

Greed
Apr 28, 2008
I am looking to sell Green mountain coffee and rite aid stocks, I planned on selling these soon anyway to pay off my families housing debt but was gonna wait a little longer for any gains. I'm mostly just worried GMC is gonna have a bad day tomorrow with their quarterly reports. Any major losses would be pretty bad, both of my parents died this past year and my siblings are gently caress ups so I need to watch out for them. I suffer from spinal arthritis so I can barely work so any monetary gain is essentially months of income.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I'm a newbie in the trading world, I've read the introductions to all the threads, a couple books (Mad Money and The Four Pillars of Investing) as recommended in the threads. I started with 3k and I'm trying to get a nice, advantageous portfolio. I've already learned a few things from mock trading, like be wary of speculation, penny stocks, and don't buy something you don't whole-heartedly believe in.

My portfolio thus far is:

CLNE: Clean Energy Fuel Corps. A natural gas supplier.
MITK: Mitek Systems Inc. A smart phone imaging service that goes beyond just depositing checks.
NQ: NQ Mobile Inc. A China-based smart phone privacy software company.
PZZI: Pizza Inn Inc. A, amongst other establishments, quick-casual pizza restaurant.

I have $500 in all of the above stocks, however, I have $1k in NQ because I use the software and love it. The other ones I really believe in, but I don't have any means to use the products at the moment, but would certainly given the opportunity.

I have the other $500 sitting in my account, as cash, ready to trade, but I haven't found any other stocks that have really grabbed me. I wanted to give GOGO a try, but, as a consumer, I wouldn't pay those prices, and I wanted to jump on ZU opening day, but it wasn't a product I'd use, so I haven't had the desire to tuck away my other $500 in either of those.

Does anyone have any advice about my portfolio? Does anyone have any advice as to how they go about finding the stocks they particularly love? Any advice at all would be truly helpful, thank you.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Greed posted:

I am looking to sell Green mountain coffee and rite aid stocks, I planned on selling these soon anyway to pay off my families housing debt but was gonna wait a little longer for any gains. I'm mostly just worried GMC is gonna have a bad day tomorrow with their quarterly reports. Any major losses would be pretty bad, both of my parents died this past year and my siblings are gently caress ups so I need to watch out for them. I suffer from spinal arthritis so I can barely work so any monetary gain is essentially months of income.

You should be aware that a stock can drop below the level of your trigger. If you set a sell @ $60 it can drop to $55 before your sell order gets processed

Greed
Apr 28, 2008
Well poo poo, guess I will just keep a close eye on my stocks the next few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

MussoliniB posted:

I'm a newbie in the trading world, I've read the introductions to all the threads, a couple books (Mad Money and The Four Pillars of Investing) as recommended in the threads. I started with 3k and I'm trying to get a nice, advantageous portfolio. I've already learned a few things from mock trading, like be wary of speculation, penny stocks, and don't buy something you don't whole-heartedly believe in.

My portfolio thus far is:

CLNE: Clean Energy Fuel Corps. A natural gas supplier.
MITK: Mitek Systems Inc. A smart phone imaging service that goes beyond just depositing checks.
NQ: NQ Mobile Inc. A China-based smart phone privacy software company.
PZZI: Pizza Inn Inc. A, amongst other establishments, quick-casual pizza restaurant.

I have $500 in all of the above stocks, however, I have $1k in NQ because I use the software and love it. The other ones I really believe in, but I don't have any means to use the products at the moment, but would certainly given the opportunity.

I have the other $500 sitting in my account, as cash, ready to trade, but I haven't found any other stocks that have really grabbed me. I wanted to give GOGO a try, but, as a consumer, I wouldn't pay those prices, and I wanted to jump on ZU opening day, but it wasn't a product I'd use, so I haven't had the desire to tuck away my other $500 in either of those.

Does anyone have any advice about my portfolio? Does anyone have any advice as to how they go about finding the stocks they particularly love? Any advice at all would be truly helpful, thank you.

This is not a judgement by any means, but you're currently invested in small cap, micro-cap, small cap, micro-cap respectively.

All of the companies you've but one, NQ, have negative EPS.
Maybe you want to get some money in larger stocks next?