Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

carry on then posted:

If you like your release dates as vague as "coming this fall" then you'll probably get what you want.

Yeah and Apple has already said coming this fall. Does Apple just release their OS without saying anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's hard to say. At this point it's looking more and more like next week's event is iOS-exclusive, and that Apple may hold another event in October for new Macs. That or just refresh them silently with Mavericks' release, whenever that ends up being.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I said come in! posted:

Yeah and Apple has already said coming this fall. Does Apple just release their OS without saying anything?

No, but they often change, especially at a time like now when their devs are likely swamped, so they like to be vague about exact dates.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Mavericks cancelled, OSX Whistler released instead.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

SRQ posted:

Mavericks cancelled, OSX Whistler released instead.

If that fails, Plan B is going back to Copland and Gershwin.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

"Hey guys guess what! We've been upgrading the PPC emulator all this time, so we said to hell with Maverick, here comes OS 9.3 for Intel! Now you can run Canvas again!"

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
What are people using to copy a DVD to the Mac HDD, I'm looking for the VIDEO_TS folder. Tried MakeMKV but it just creates a bunch of .mkv files.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Binary Badger posted:

"Hey guys guess what! We've been upgrading the PPC emulator all this time, so we said to hell with Maverick, here comes OS 9.3 for Intel! Now you can run Canvas again!"

Anyone else kinda wish those Intel builds of OS 10.0-10.3 would leak just for kicks?

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Does anyone know how I can read the message contents in the Mail app without having to double click on the message to pop it out? When I first started using the Mail app, I had three sections, one for my mailboxes, the other for the messages, and the other for the message content. Somehow that third section disappeared. Googling the problem hasn't turned up results, and I can't seem to find the relevant selection in the drop down menus.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Stumpus posted:

Does anyone know how I can read the message contents in the Mail app without having to double click on the message to pop it out? When I first started using the Mail app, I had three sections, one for my mailboxes, the other for the messages, and the other for the message content. Somehow that third section disappeared. Googling the problem hasn't turned up results, and I can't seem to find the relevant selection in the drop down menus.

Assuming you are using a recent Mail.app with the three vertical panes layout, check the right edge of the message list pane. If it has a ~5 pixel grey border with a dot in the middle then try clicking and dragging it to left to reveal the content pane.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

wildlele posted:

What are people using to copy a DVD to the Mac HDD, I'm looking for the VIDEO_TS folder. Tried MakeMKV but it just creates a bunch of .mkv files.

I use Handbrake for this and it works great.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

carry on then posted:

Anyone else kinda wish those Intel builds of OS 10.0-10.3 would leak just for kicks?
I'd rather not go blind.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

I'd be willing to put up with pinstripes if that meant I'd get support for Dock Extras and Panther-style Exposé back.

… maybe.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

8ender posted:

I use Handbrake for this and it works great.

I'm dumb, can you post a bit more detail or pm me if my question is making GBS threads up the thread? I can't seem to figure out how to make Handbrake create the video_ts folder on my hdd

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Oneiros posted:

Assuming you are using a recent Mail.app with the three vertical panes layout, check the right edge of the message list pane. If it has a ~5 pixel grey border with a dot in the middle then try clicking and dragging it to left to reveal the content pane.

That worked. I actually had to double click it for it to come back, as for whatever reason it would not drag for me.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

wildlele posted:

I'm dumb, can you post a bit more detail or pm me if my question is making GBS threads up the thread? I can't seem to figure out how to make Handbrake create the video_ts folder on my hdd

Handbrake converts the files in VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS to mpeg4 (or whatever format you specify) and encodes them to a single, easily transportable video file that's much smaller in size.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

carry on then posted:

While it was definitely ahead of it's time, those were tough years for those of use who lived them. I got my copy of 10.0 on day one, and it was a native app wasteland. Let's not forget that a lot of Macs didn't get graphics acceleration until like Panther, and battery life was awful at about half what OS 9 was.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Sue posted:

I'd be willing to put up with pinstripes if that meant I'd get support for Dock Extras and Panther-style Exposé back.

… maybe.
If you're on 10.8, go to the Mission Control prefpane and uncheck "Group windows by application". Single app Exposé still uses the grid though.

I'm fine with app grouping, but want the exploded view (when you mouse scroll over the pile) to expand them all like the old single app Exposé. Right now with a bunch of windows in a pile the exploded view is just...a slightly more spread out pile of windows.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Vmware Fusion 6 and Parallels 9 are both out now.
I prefer Fusion because it contains the VM more then parallels which farts icons all over OSX and farts icons all over the inside of the VM too.
Fusion 6 doesn't appear to change much aside from minor UI tweaks and SATA HDD emulation.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I like VMWare because it doesn't conflict with Virtualbox Vagrant. Parallels will kernel panic you if you run Virtualbox too.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

crazysim posted:

I like VMWare because it doesn't conflict with Virtualbox Vagrant. Parallels will kernel panic you if you run Virtualbox too.

You can't run two different things which try to take over hardware virt.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I said come in! posted:

Probably shouldn't expect a Mavericks release date next week?

You're not getting Mavericks until they fix my goddamn Windows file share folder rename bug :colbert:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

mayodreams posted:

While it was definitely ahead of it's time, those were tough years for those of use who lived them. I got my copy of 10.0 on day one, and it was a native app wasteland. Let's not forget that a lot of Macs didn't get graphics acceleration until like Panther, and battery life was awful at about half what OS 9 was.

Well yeah, no one would use them full time, I just thought it would be interesting to see how those pinstripes looked in practice considering all that's left are really low resolution videos or heavily compressed JPEG screenshots.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Anyone know if Fusion 5 will run on Mavericks? I feel like I've gotten dicked once or twice in the past (by Parallels, admittedly) after buying it to go along with OS X 10.${i} adn then it refusing to run on 10.${i+1}.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Last time I tried Virtualbox I had mysterious OS crashes. I couldn't prove they were related to VirtualBox but they started when I installed it and ended when I removed it. I installed VMWare later which worked fine. Was it just bad luck on my part?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Lexicon posted:

Anyone know if Fusion 5 will run on Mavericks? I feel like I've gotten dicked once or twice in the past (by Parallels, admittedly) after buying it to go along with OS X 10.${i} adn then it refusing to run on 10.${i+1}.

Yes, I have run it on 10.9 just fine.
Version 6 has full Mavericks support.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

SRQ posted:

Yes, I have run it on 10.9 just fine.
Version 6 has full Mavericks support.

Ok so just to be clear: 5 will run on Mavericks as it's done on Mountain Lion, but 6 explicitly supports Mavericks' new features/APIs?

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I asked this over in the iTunes thread, but it might be more applicable here. I have an mp3 from the days of yore when I ripped all my CD's, but the disc was one of those annoying ones where one disc track had multiple songs in it, and now I'd like to split it into multiple tracks so I can listen to them separately. Any good suggestions on what I could use to do this?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I think you'll have to use an audio editor like Audacity to split and export two separate files.

By the way, has there been a better free alternative to Audacity recently?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Axiem posted:

I asked this over in the iTunes thread, but it might be more applicable here. I have an mp3 from the days of yore when I ripped all my CD's, but the disc was one of those annoying ones where one disc track had multiple songs in it, and now I'd like to split it into multiple tracks so I can listen to them separately. Any good suggestions on what I could use to do this?

SoX can be made to do it automatically, but I haven't found a decent GUI front end, and there are a LOT of command line options.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

carry on then posted:

I think you'll have to use an audio editor like Audacity to split and export two separate files.

I noticed Audacity, but is there a good editor that doesn't require a PhD in audio software to do something as simple as freaking split a file on silence (and allow me to listen and adjust the boundaries just in case)?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Lexicon posted:

Ok so just to be clear: 5 will run on Mavericks as it's done on Mountain Lion, but 6 explicitly supports Mavericks' new features/APIs?

Correcto

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Axiem posted:

I noticed Audacity, but is there a good editor that doesn't require a PhD in audio software to do something as simple as freaking split a file on silence (and allow me to listen and adjust the boundaries just in case)?
GarageBand?

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

Axiem posted:

I would suggest pcutmp3 over Audacity as it avoids recompressing the file into mp3 again. It's a tiny command-line program, the options are few and relatively self-explanatory.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Axiem posted:

I used to use mp3trimmer all the time for stuff like that: http://www.deepniner.net/mp3trimmer/

Hasn't been updated in a few years, but it worked well and was easy to use. Hopefully it still works.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ninja Rope posted:

Last time I tried Virtualbox I had mysterious OS crashes. I couldn't prove they were related to VirtualBox but they started when I installed it and ended when I removed it. I installed VMWare later which worked fine. Was it just bad luck on my part?

I had that a few years ago, there was a problem with the wifi networking module of some sort. Haven't had any issues since.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Axiem posted:

I answered you over there too. :smith:

But anyways. Audacity you just select the silence after the first song, and the hidden track, and hit delete to clear that out. Save it and you have your first track. Undo the deletion, select the silence and the first song, and hit delete. Save it, and you have your hidden track as a stand-alone track.

The hardest part for all of this is to get it to work with mp3 files. They can't distribute with those libraries because of licensing, but they give you the links in the program for how to get them and install it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You're going to end up with audible artifacting if you do it through Audacity. You'll be transcoding. There are plenty of tools that can split mp3s without decompressing them in the middle.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
I'm looking to setup an Ubuntu Server VM on my mac for local dev/testing. Is there a particular host that stands out on OSX, or will anything do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Posting Principle posted:

I'm looking to setup an Ubuntu Server VM on my mac for local dev/testing. Is there a particular host that stands out on OSX, or will anything do?

VirtualBox is free...