Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Being an intolerant, insufferable prick on national television and getting no repercussions over it makes it look like it's socially acceptable to have hateful, deplorable opinions.

It's not only socially acceptable, it's electorally acceptable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Being an intolerant, insufferable prick on national television and getting no repercussions over it makes it look like it's socially acceptable to have hateful, deplorable opinions. That's actually kind of a big deal.

I have some bad news for you.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 31, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Fox News found a retired general who is going to save the Constitution from Obama by.... well, doing a whole bunch of stuff not in the Constitution.

quote:

After suggesting that the country hold a “national recall” election, which he admitted has no basis in the constitution, Vallely urged people “get off our derrieres” and protest the government in the millions: “If we’ve got to march in the state capitals, if we’ve got to march in Washington with one hundred million people, then that’s what we need to do.”

He even called for a citizens’ arrest against the President and administration officials: “I would say if we can make citizens’ arrest, I challenge our government that if we have people that are conducting treason against the United States and the best interests of our country, violating the Constitution, violating our laws, just as they are doing with these excessive executive orders that are coming out of the White House where you have a President and his team that doesn’t care about the Constitution.”

Yeah, let's recall the President! Oh, wait, we can't do that? OK then, let's citizens arrest the President! Hold on, what's that you say?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Axetrain posted:

Robertson's opinion could also become law because it's relatively common, that's how democracy works and the point of this thread is to discuss how the opinions of these public figures influence wider public perception. Romney's opinion of gays is also the same as Robertson's as far as I know.

Also the Right has apparently chosen to rally around loving bigots just when they need to be burying the issue and trying to reach out to get more people to vote for the upper class. Like, even my FYGM gay Republican friends are starting to get pissed off by this bullshit. And literally all Republicans have to do to get their votes is stop hating gays every day of the week and they'll pick up my racist classist acquaintances in a heartbeat.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Joementum posted:

Yeah, let's recall the President! Oh, wait, we can't do that? OK then, let's citizens arrest the President! Hold on, what's that you say?
Well they can definitely prevent him from serving a third term as President. There's that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Fox News found a retired general who is going to save the Constitution from Obama by.... well, doing a whole bunch of stuff not in the Constitution.

What I find most amusing is that they care deeply about the Constitution, except when somebody they don't agree with gets elected to lead the nation by methods...specifically outlined in the...Constitution. Wellllllll...poo poo.

It's only Constitutional if I agree with it. It doesn't matter that Oblammo won the election so hard we can't even cry fraud, he's a Democrat, drat it! Democrats are unconstitutional!

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.

Joementum posted:

Unsurprisingly, this guy has been a minor force in the birther movement for years.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

ReidRansom posted:

Also what the gently caress else is going on right now? This is basically media and politics dead week. The larger media personalities are all basically on vacation right now, as are all the assholes these assholes talk about, so all that's going on right now is the second and third string recapping the biggest non-stories of the year they can gin up.
This is the week every year when I keep checking to make sure my podcast app isn't broken. WTF WHERE ARE THE PODCASTS!!?? At best I get some lovely retrospectives from Fresh Air, though I give credit to Tom Ashbrook for doing a final Week In The News for 2013. Somebody's still working, at least.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Get ready for this showing up on FoxNews Monday.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

This is the week every year when I keep checking to make sure my podcast app isn't broken. WTF WHERE ARE THE PODCASTS!!?? At best I get some lovely retrospectives from Fresh Air, though I give credit to Tom Ashbrook for doing a final Week In The News for 2013. Somebody's still working, at least.

Tom Ashbrook :allears:

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

skaboomizzy posted:

Actually those are some really loving stupid comments.

I'd advise MSNBC to stop with the Chelsea Handler Komedy Panel poo poo.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

skaboomizzy posted:

Going after the kids is always pretty classless and never works out. I never understand why people over about 25 don't have a "Wait, maybe we shouldn't make fun of the kid..." mechanism even if they don't have that visceral reaction to leave children out of politics. The kid didn't choose the family and, in this case, it looks like a pretty selfless act to adopt a kid, whatever its background. Not just stupid commentary, but mean and wrong.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah kids should be off-limits unless they're budding Deliverance-type psychopaths like Mike Huckabee's brood, but what's done is done and at least this will provide us with a few days' mirth from the right wing outragosphere attacking Melitha Harrith Perry the only way they know how.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

skaboomizzy posted:

Hey look they'll finally have an actual reason to be outraged. That's super hosed up.

I look forward to Limbaugh and Hannity describing how much liberals love this random woman and a whole lot of "the real racists" happening.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I look forward to Limbaugh and Hannity describing how much liberals love this random woman and a whole lot of "the real racists" happening.

It'll be split between she's the central propaganda arm of the Obama administration and she's a nobody that gets fewer viewers than infomercial reruns.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Phil Robertson fits in this thread.

The lady filling in for Hannity was all over him yesterday, lamenting the loss of free speech, blubbering all over him and making him a huge free speech martyr. "Is this what we've come to in America, free speech, etc., etc." I guess she forgot about Bill Maher and the Dixie Chicks. The people pointing out that Robertson's homophobia is getting all of the coverage but his racism is practicially ignored are spot on too.

Also, whoever was filling in for Rush was actually saying things like "why is the N.Y. Times talking about Benghazi?" and "why won't they talk about income disparity?" It's pretty weird listening to a right win pundit bitch about too much Benghazi coverage and then accidentally advocate a minimum wage increase.

edit: oh yeah. He was also going on and about those ships stuck in the ice as evidence against global warming. "Why is the ice so thick, liberals? Shouldn't it all be melted?" Jesus Christ.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 31, 2013

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

It makes sense that people ignore the racist poo poo in favor of the homophobia. The comments about homophobia were more visceral and in the present. The comments about race were much more subtle, and to understand how depressingly evil they were you need some historical knowledge or context. The problem is that the white members of the generation that lived through the Civil Rights Movement tend to be far more racist than average, and therefore have little incentive to set the story straight.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
BuzzFeed compiled the 20 worst Fox News moments from 2013. This is still my favorite.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That's a story about how despite the Civil Rights Movement, racists still freak out about every little thing black people do right?

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
I thought buzzfeed was owned, at least partially, by the Koch brothers. Isn't that kind of them biting the hand that feeds them?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

VitalSigns posted:

That's a story about how despite the Civil Rights Movement, racists still freak out about every little thing black people do right?

No, it's Juan Williams complaining that Jay-Z isn't as poetic as Bob Dylan.

ShortStack posted:

I thought buzzfeed was owned, at least partially, by the Koch brothers. Isn't that kind of them biting the hand that feeds them?

No, it's owned by the guy who created the share button, though they regularly publish Koch literature unedited and have co-sponsored events.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Buzzfeed's Koch ties seem rooted with Ben Smith, their current editor-in-chief: http://news.firedoglake.com/2013/05/17/buzzfeeds-partnership-with-koch-brothers-under-fire/

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Joementum posted:

Only a major general; most likely still blaming that big government kept him from getting to 3/4 stars.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

BuzzFeed compiled the 20 worst Fox News moments from 2013. This is still my favorite.

Did rap music as we know it even exist 50 years ago? I'm confused by that statement on so many levels. Like, what does rap music have to do with the civil rights movement other than both are things associated with black people? I can't be anything other than confused. It feels like a crazy person I didn't know walked up to me and informed me that I had to start wrapping my head in foil or the reptile people would control my brain.

Granted, I'm also assuming that the woman was saying "in case you forgot you should still hate black people" or something to that effect because, you know, Fox News.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Did rap music as we know it even exist 50 years ago? I'm confused by that statement on so many levels. Like, what does rap music have to do with the civil rights movement other than both are things associated with black people? I can't be anything other than confused. It feels like a crazy person I didn't know walked up to me and informed me that I had to start wrapping my head in foil or the reptile people would control my brain.

Granted, I'm also assuming that the woman was saying "in case you forgot you should still hate black people" or something to that effect because, you know, Fox News.

Fox is using "Rap Music" as a shorthand for hip hop culture. To their audience, rap is tied in with crime, thuggery, irresponsibility, sexual promiscuity, poverty, and general degeneracy. So what the headline actually says is more like: "The excesses of rap stars and their listeners' attempts to emulate them are probably to blame for all of the problems facing young Black men, and poverty/racism has nothing to do with it so don't try and blame it on White people."

It's a heavily symbolically loaded way of deflecting blame from the system back onto its victims.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It was still at least 15 years before the Sugarhill Gang. So as usual, it's the latter.

I got a kick out of this one:

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Joementum posted:

When Bob Beckel of The Five said, “I would not have another mosque built in this country until we got it worked out who was not a terrorist.”

And this guy is their token "liberal."

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Ha I knew it! Liberals are the real racists!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Did rap music as we know it even exist 50 years ago?

The protean roots of rap music kind of started coalescing in the 60's and 70's as part of spoken word performance art, but actual rap music wasn't a thing until the early 80's. So by rap music Fox just means 'black things that black people do, while they're being so black all the time'.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

That Hannity clip of then vs now on NSA surveillance programs is two fore-head slaps minimum.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I am surprised this did not show up on the list

quote:

A Fox News guest said following about the rape of a Missouri teen by a classmate

“What did she expect to happen at one in the morning after sneaking out?” attorney Joseph DiBenedetto said on Shephard Smith Reports. “I’m not saying — assuming that these facts are accurate and this did happen —“I’m not saying — assuming that these facts are accurate and this did happen — I’m not saying she deserved to be raped, but knowing the facts as we do here including what the prosecutor has set forth, this case is going nowhere and it's going nowhere quick.”

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 31, 2013

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I wonder if anytime a white man gets robbed they start asking questions about what he was doing in that neighborhood in the first place...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They certainly do when black teenagers and twenty-somethings get shot.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

VitalSigns posted:

I wonder if anytime a white man gets robbed they start asking questions about what he was doing in that neighborhood in the first place...

You've never been pulled over for driving in the wrong neighborhood?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

What a loving dick.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That MSNBC segment is really appalling, at least Melissa Harris Perry apologized. For some reason she felt t necessary to append the hashtag #MHPapology. Do self-promoting apologies count?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yet another lesson in: just because the pundits are more liberal doesn't mean MSNBC isn't a crappy network too.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Yeah, MSNBC sucks as much poo poo as any of the other networks.

So I listened to Hannity for five minutes today. In that time he:

-Got told off by a liberal panel guest about how Alec Baldwin and Martin Bashir don't represent some sort of liberal hivemind and that there wasn't much discussion about what happened to them because nobody was defending them and so it was just kind of a unilateral "yeah they hosed up" at which point he changed the topic without even commenting on what she said

-Said that liberals aren't really as outraged as they pretend to be about Phil Robertson's comments and that fake outrage is a liberal "cottage industry"

-Claimed he was going to take his daughter fishing to "get the yuppie out of her"

Sean Hannity could be Freaky Fridayed into a black woman on welfare with five kids and he would still somehow be the whitest, yuppiest motherfucker alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Sean Hannity could be Freaky Fridayed into a black woman on welfare with five kids and he would still somehow be the whitest, yuppiest motherfucker alive.

This was also 2013