Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

I'm surprised they didn't even bother with a port; so many people I've talked to have said they would have gotten it if it went Wii U.

3U sold like dogshit on the wii u for a bunch of reasons and capcom's having some financial problems, doesn't surprise me that they didn't think it was worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckPuncher
Jun 2, 2011

A writer must sleep
And a ghost must haunt
:allears: Not only am I able to get my copy on release day because of my girlfriend's Amazon Prime account, she's also willing to try to play the demo with me to see if she likes it and will pick up a copy to play with me. I'm the luckiest lady alive. I can't wait to be able to play online, too. I wanted to like the ranged weapons, but I'm way too impatient using them when I'm so used to slamming monsters with GS and actually being halfway decent with it.

Only a few days left so stoked.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Fungah! posted:

3U sold like dogshit on the wii u for a bunch of reasons and capcom's having some financial problems, doesn't surprise me that they didn't think it was worth it

It sold pretty well actually? Did the standard 1/10th of the handheld version in Japan and it was like 1/3rd of MH3U sales in the US IIRC.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I'm going to get a copy on release day, because I'm going to download the game digitally.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

It sold pretty well actually? Did the standard 1/10th of the handheld version in Japan and it was like 1/3rd of MH3U sales in the US IIRC.

There are no definitive numbers out there but 300k for an HD port is probably not going to do it. Making video games are expensive and if you only recoup what it cost to make it then you have wasted your time and money. I have seen some press releases where they said it exceeded expectations and that they were happy but that doesn't mean it made them a lot of money.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Vire posted:

There are no definitive numbers out there but 300k for an HD port is probably not going to do it. Making video games are expensive and if you only recoup what it cost to make it then you have wasted your time and money. I have seen some press releases where they said it exceeded expectations and that they were happy but that doesn't mean it made them a lot of money.

To be fair outside of the texture changes it sure looked like they did the minimal effort required to place it on the wii u.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Junkie Disease posted:

To be fair outside of the texture changes it sure looked like they did the minimal effort required to place it on the wii u.

Its not like you can just press a button and it will port it to Wii U. I think a lot of people underestimate what it takes to get a game on multiple platforms even if it required no additional art assets. Like even if the Wii U version was profitable thats not how the industry works. If you have 20 million dollars in capital and only make a few million more then its not worth it.

We will see if they decide to do a console version down the line but I really think actions speak louder than words if it really was such a success they would / will do it again.

Vire fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 10, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Capcom is the company that made the new Breath of Fire game an IOS cash shop P2W bullshit because they did not think of making an actual true sequel to the series would be profitable.

and the game still tanked.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Vire posted:

Its not like you can just press a button and it will port it to Wii U. I think a lot of people underestimate what it takes to get a game on multiple platforms even if it required no additional art assets. Like even if the Wii U version was profitable thats not how the industry works. If you have 20 million dollars in capital and only make a few million more then its not worth it.

We will see if they decide to do a console version down the line but I really think actions speak louder than words if it really was such a success they would / will do it again.

No I know its still not easy. But man when the second screen doesn't even use the entire pad its just sad.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I also think that if they were making a Wii U version they would not talk about it at all until after it launched everywhere specially if Nintendo asked them not too. Because Monster Hunter is selling a ton of hardware in japan for them and even a little bit over here. Nintendo wants that sweet New 3DS money first.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Vire posted:

I also think that if they were making a Wii U version they would not talk about it at all until after it launched everywhere specially if Nintendo asked them not too. Because Monster Hunter is selling a ton of hardware in japan for them and even a little bit over here. Nintendo wants that sweet New 3DS money first.
They gimped the Online mode for the 3ds so people would buy 3U for the Wii-U and that still did not work.

In Japan people care mostly about portables and not consoles.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The Taint Reaper posted:

They gimped the Online mode for the 3ds so people would buy 3U for the Wii-U and that still did not work.

Not really, since you don't actually need to have the WiiU version of 3U to play online with your 3DS, all you need is the WiiU itself and a free downloadable app thingy.

The reason the 3DS version didn't have online is that Capcom just doesn't care about online play because Japan. Even though in the West both versions released simultaneously, the WiiU port is actually a later version, it came out a year after MH3U for 3DS in Japan.

So basically Capcom is not malicious, just incompetent and lazy.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ojetor posted:

Not really, since you don't actually need to have the WiiU version of 3U to play online with your 3DS, all you need is the WiiU itself and a free downloadable app thingy.

The reason the 3DS version didn't have online is that Capcom just doesn't care about online play because Japan. Even though in the West both versions released simultaneously, the WiiU port is actually a later version, it came out a year after MH3U for 3DS in Japan.

So basically Capcom is not malicious, just incompetent and lazy.

You also needed an ethernet adapter.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Oh god I think I'm just bored enough to make resource maps for the 2 areas in the demo

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I'm going to have to wake up to be in a store at 09:00 on Saturday just to pick this game up. No regrets.

Ignimbrite posted:

Oh god I think I'm just bored enough to make resource maps for the 2 areas in the demo

You just forfeited your right to ever make fun of me for charm farming. :colbert:

such hawks
Jul 28, 2007

Ignimbrite posted:

Hey look, I've been goofing off in my work hours writing up a word document (looks like official work :D) with urgent quest lists and potential weapon/armors to go for so that I'm ready to hit the ground running. I'm not sure its entirely rational.

in MH3U, I used switch axe the most, but I found it got a bit button mashy for me after a while, so I think its time to de-rust the GS skills. The bow in the demo is pretty nice too - having the new obvious flash at critical distance has really sped up kill times for me with it, I never quite got used to them before.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Mailer posted:

You just forfeited your right to ever make fun of me for charm farming. :colbert:

Nope, my suffering will only take an hour or two, unlike yours. :v:

e: First attempt, Ancestral Steppe. I may not have found all of the stone pickups, it feels weird only having the one on the map.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 10, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
GAME (UK) is starting shipping, either they're being huge cheap-asses on postage or they really don't give that much of a poo poo about release dates.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

New localization blog
http://www.capcom-unity.com/reno/blog/2015/02/10/monster-hunter-4-ultimate-localization-a-helping-hand

Also reviews are going up. Surprise: it's a good video game

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I didn't think I'd live to see the day where monhan got a 9/10 anywhere

Sarpsa
Nov 17, 2012
http://www.gamingnexus.com/Article/4679/Monster-Hunter-4-Ultimate/

The game sucks guys. Time to cancel our preorders.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

quote:

The problems go deeper than just the lack of a control stick however, because the camera isn't the only part of the game with terrible controls and an extra stick would not fix everything. The combat is the most frustrating aspect of Monster Hunter 4, which is terrible because clearly combat is supposed to be the cornerstone of the game. The attack animations are all extremely slow, and there's no way to cancel them. What this means is that most of the time, attacks will miss because of the terrible camera, and then it takes a painfully long amount of time for the attack to be over so you can re-position yourself in a different direction, only to more than likely miss again. It's not just the attack animations either. Every time my character drank a potion, he felt the need to do a strongman pose for a few seconds that left me open for attack. I usually had to leave the area during the bigger fights in order to use items so that I wouldn't get attacked during the animations. Add in the fact that most of the monsters are very fast and can do very high damage to you in only a few hits, and combat becomes high risk but very low reward.

Rofl this dude doesn't seem to understand this gameplay. Nothing like "Game is hard, thus game is bad" reviews.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
"hurr how am play game"

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Rofl this dude doesn't seem to understand this gameplay. Nothing like "Game is hard, thus game is bad" reviews.

The entire review was amazing, I saw the flex pose after drinking potions and I instantly knew he didn't understand the game at all

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Haquer posted:

The entire review was amazing, I saw the flex pose after drinking potions and I instantly knew he didn't understand the game at all

Yeah, he was mad that he couldn't button-mash his way through the game with on-demand healz, and didn't want to adapt.

My first few goes at MH3U were pretty brutal, but it's not hard to settle into the rhythm of a weapon and figure out that you need to make a strategic retreat if you want to heal or sharpen.

What a low-effort review.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

If this was the first monster hunter game ever, yeah maybe you could miss the point of the game. This game has actual context, and if you dont fully understand the appeal at least do a quick google search to figure out what the appeal of the game is.

Actually its about ethics in monster hunting

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

thatBadReview posted:

This is particularly true of the fights against the big, boss-level monsters. What should be, and is obviously intended to be, the bread and butter of Monster Hunter 4 was my least favorite part by a long shot.

He preferred fighting the small monsters. Hunt 10 Jaggia. :rolleyes:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Lame Devil posted:

He preferred fighting the small monsters. Hunt 10 Jaggia. :rolleyes:

Because he had instant gratification due to them taking 1-2 hits to kill

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

I'm surprised they didn't even bother with a port; so many people I've talked to have said they would have gotten it if it went Wii U.

I know 10 people that would buy on wii-u but are passing because "gently caress handhelds".

6 of them want to buy a wii-u for it. They almost bought a wii-u for 3 but then found out 4 would be out soon. So they are holding their breath for a port.

In other news. Any OKC Monster Hunters up in here? If so I would be up for some local MP at a cofee shop or something.

*edit
10 people. Not twelve.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 10, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kilazar posted:

I know 12 people that would buy on wii-u but are passing because "gently caress handhelds".

6 of them want to buy a wii-u for it. They almost bought a wii-u for 3 but then found out 4 would be out soon. So they are holding their breath for a port.

In other news. Any OKC Monster Hunters up in here? If so I would be up for some local MP at a cofee shop or something.

The game's been out forever in Japan, so they will be holding their breath indefinitely.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

The game's been out forever in Japan, so they will be holding their breath indefinitely.

Oh I know this. But you can't convince them. Still leaves me with nobody to hunt monsters with.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Did a quick scan and search for 'Rank,' I'm assuming homeboy there never made it out of LR. I'd love to throw his rear end into a G-Rank fight. Maybe an Apex Rajang fight. He'd get triple-carted in 2 minutes and throw his 3DS into the toilet.

Monster Hunter reviews are usually pretty good sources of comedy.

A Miserable Robot
Nov 4, 2009
So that reviewer is the kind of guy Capcom put the tutorials in for, but he just skipped through all the tutorials that tell you about monster lock on, and I'm guessing jumped straight into Guild Hall with the Greatsword?

I hope they don't even bother with tutorials in the next game, that review really is proof that new players will just skip through them anyway and then complain about the game. I hope Monster Hunter 5 opens with you fighting Tigrex, naked, with a SnS, and you can't progress in the game until you kill it. 25 minute time limit. And maybe then I won't need to sit through quests telling me how to cook my meat and combine my potions :argh:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Capcom should just send a Monster Hunter personal trainer to every reviewer/new player to show them the ropes.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

The Taint Reaper posted:

That HELLA worked on me. I bought a Wii U for 3U, even though I already owned a 3DS. But then again I buy any system the game is on because I've been hooked since the PS2. \:shobon:/

A Miserable Robot posted:

So that reviewer is the kind of guy Capcom put the tutorials in for, but he just skipped through all the tutorials that tell you about monster lock on, and I'm guessing jumped straight into Guild Hall with the Greatsword?

I hope they don't even bother with tutorials in the next game, that review really is proof that new players will just skip through them anyway and then complain about the game. I hope Monster Hunter 5 opens with you fighting Tigrex, naked, with a SnS, and you can't progress in the game until you kill it. 25 minute time limit. And maybe then I won't need to sit through quests telling me how to cook my meat and combine my potions :argh:

I STILL remember in 2nd G being stuck on the Guild Tigrex wall for too long, finally killing him with double LB+ bombs in a shock trap while on a ferry back from Martha's Vineyard. I remember telling my wife and her looking at me and asking, "Is that good? I mean, I'm proud of you.... Hooray?"

Detective No. 27 posted:

Capcom should just send a Monster Hunter personal trainer to every reviewer/new player to show them the ropes.

It's not for everyone, but at least it isn't as obtuse as Brutal Legend. ( Of note, I liked Brutal Legend, but I totally get why it got panned and people were told they were 'Playing it wrong' )

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

This is just precious :allears:

quote:

Every time my character drank a potion, he felt the need to do a strongman pose for a few seconds that left me open for attack.

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

We need a Drink potions + Flex emote, real bad.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

That Reviewer posted:

But I never felt like any of the difficulties or deaths were my fault; it was always the controls preventing me from doing what I intended to do.
:qqsay:
The worst part about the review is that it seems like he really tried to get into it, but just refused to accept its more unique design decisions as being bad. And the bow on the whole thing, after complaining that the game is just too hard:

quote:

Nothing in the game holds your hand, which I really appreciate.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Also he can't spell "its".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I mean in fairness Monster Hunter has very stiff controls, especially for someone new to the series. What's not immediately obvious when you start playing is that those controls are by design. You can't cancel animations because swinging your weapon is a commitment to an attack. Drinking a potion takes a long time to force you to find safety first. Once you get experienced you also learn that monsters play by the same rules, and you can exploit their own inability to animation cancel to land powerful hits.

You don't have to like Monster Hunter, of course, but I feel like a reviewer should at least recognize that some of these aspects are by design before they criticize the game.

• Locked thread