Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Sirotan posted:

Thanks, just bought one of their cases for my 5X because of this post. Wish they had a few more color options but I'll settle with gray for now just to get something on this thing so I don't feel like I'll constantly drop it.

I miss the purple case I had and the sparkly pink my wife had for our Nexus 4 cases, but Diztronic gets my business every time regardless.

If you order the first molding of the 5X case that covers the bottom microphone hole, they'll just ship you a new case if you ask. Pretty amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Only lost 1% battery overnight, I guess Doze really does work!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Super Dude posted:

Only lost 1% battery overnight, I guess Doze really does work!
My phone said 1d 18h left when I went to bed and 1d 17h when I woke up.
Impressive.

Need to turn it off for nine and tasker, though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

Depends on what you have installed. I don't have any problems with hitching or lag, but I don't gently caress around with too many apps. It sounds like something might be trying to sync in the background, loving up one way or another, and panicking.

Don't have a whole lot installed that didn't come with the phone (which I got from Motorola). Awful App, Puzzle&Dragon, a Notepad, Rune Story, TeamViewer, XCom:EW, Google Play Games, and that's it.

Oh and Jellybean Keyboard, speaking of, what's the best keyboard these days?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Don't have a whole lot installed that didn't come with the phone (which I got from Motorola). Awful App, Puzzle&Dragon, a Notepad, Rune Story, TeamViewer, XCom:EW, Google Play Games, and that's it.

Google Keyboard

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Hey I just got a nexus 5 for the first time I think it has all the latest Android updates.

When I use the google voice poo poo to speak to the phone to make reminders it doesn't auto fill the description for the reminder from what I initially said. Is it supposed to work that way?

Also the Google search made its way to the middle of my home screen instead of at the top like it was before anyone know where the settings to change that?

Shits pretty cool otherwise though

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Can one of you gentle android goons tell me what this goddamn 'N' looking icon is? I upgraded the software on my Sony z3c and it showed up.

http://www.imgur.com/KwxZLOr.jpg

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

NFC icon.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Weaponized Cum posted:

Can one of you gentle android goons tell me what this goddamn 'N' looking icon is? I upgraded the software on my Sony z3c and it showed up.

http://www.imgur.com/KwxZLOr.jpg
That means NFC is on.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Thanks! Got rid of it.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Or, you could leave it on and use Android Pay like a cool 2015 guy

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

FistEnergy posted:

I feel like something like nfc should never display a notification though?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Can't you turn the icon off in Marshmallow?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The icon doesn't exist for stock implementations of Android so no one can really answer that question.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

if thats your idea of being a cool 2015 guy i hope you don't reproduce

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

so harsh

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Weaponized Cum posted:

Excuse me, Apple said it's cool now, so it's cool. Enjoy sliding a plastic card like some kind of grandpa.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

beerinator posted:

I feel like something like nfc should never display a notification though?

It shouldn't because it uses practically no power at all so there is not really any reason you should need to know it is on or off, unless you consider it a security issue.

Stock android doesn't show either its on or off.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Feral Integral posted:

When I use the google voice poo poo to speak to the phone to make reminders it doesn't auto fill the description for the reminder from what I initially said. Is it supposed to work that way?

Reminders only have a title field, not description, so I have no idea what you're talking about. "Remind me to pick up Joe from the airport at noon tomorrow" should make a reminder with the title "Pick up Joe from the airport" with the time set to noon.

Feral Integral posted:

Also the Google search made its way to the middle of my home screen instead of at the top like it was before anyone know where the settings to change that?

Are you using a custom launcher? By default the N5 should have the search bar at the top, and you can't move it. Maybe take a screenshot and show us.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Uninstall teamviewer and see if it fixes it.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Weaponized Cum posted:

Too late brah :coolfish:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

111/11 is not tomorrow.

Anyone else see this? Using a Nexus 6, stock, Marshmallow.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Looks like weird and busted handling of DST on/off.

Selane
May 19, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

111/11 is not tomorrow.

Anyone else see this? Using a Nexus 6, stock, Marshmallow.

Same on my 5x, probably just some bug with DST.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Motion blur from midnight flying back an hour.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
Just placed an order for a Nexus 6P, Frost White, 128gb, should get here Nov. 20, hype!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I just ate a sandwich

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

baka kaba posted:

I just ate a sandwich

What was on it?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

EAB posted:

Just placed an order for a Nexus 6P, Frost White, 128gb, should get here Nov. 20, hype!

Did you order from Google? Their shipping estimates are absurdly conservative, mine shipped 11 days before the prediction.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

repiv posted:

Did you order from Google? Their shipping estimates are absurdly conservative, mine shipped 11 days before the prediction.
This is true.
Mine said it would ship by 11/2.
It arrived last Thursday.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

Uninstall teamviewer and see if it fixes it.

Did not unfortunately. I'm thinking at this point I'll just have to give it a factory reset and see if the problem is still there, I'm pretty much out of other ideas.

I did determine that in PAD at least what is causing the horribly stutters is the music looping (even while turned off, I guess it still runs and plays silently). That's really weird, the only thing I can imagine is it's trying to reload the song and that's causing a stutter for some reason. I'm clueless.

E: Well apparently this problem specifically is a compatibility issue with PAD and Android 5.1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XndDaVcRZMA

Apparently the fix is to use the developer setting 'Use Awesomeplayer', which I'm assuming is an older way of handling music playing? Kinda weird. Wonder if this will solve the random stutters I've seen in other software.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 1, 2015

EAB
Jan 18, 2011

repiv posted:

Yeah I ordered from google, says est. delivery date is Nov 18-20

I'm probably not gonna be home until Nov. 24th [over the road trucker] so I'm gonna have to wait regardless lol

Is there a built in android feature to preserve the battery?

My Moto X seems to have a shot battery, I've only ever had it unplugged for short bits of times, more often than not going down to 80-90% battery, but my battery life is abysmal now. I can only imagine keeping it charged to 100% most of its life has not been good to the battery. I wanna take better care of the 6P battery.

EAB fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 1, 2015

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Just got my sim card from T mobile(they helpful just cut my old one) for my 6P and was wondering if I need to do anything for my new phone. Back when I had a galaxy nexus people were telling me to calibrate the battery. I don't know if that was a thing back then, or if that info is still valid.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Quixotic1 posted:

Just got my sim card from T mobile(they helpful just cut my old one) for my 6P and was wondering if I need to do anything for my new phone. Back when I had a galaxy nexus people were telling me to calibrate the battery. I don't know if that was a thing back then, or if that info is still valid.

No that's not a thing anymore

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the 6P's battery, I used 6:30 of screen-on yesterday and it was still at 29% battery. That was with basically no screen-off and on Wi-Fi the whole time but I am still really impressed. I also used two hours of screen-off GPS this morning and it only lost 10%. Reports of mediocre battery life in reviews seem to be misplaced, in my opinion.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Which reviews gave low battery life? Did they give a specific number? The ones I saw were around 10 hours of screen on WiFi Web browsing or whatever which is top tier outside of maybe a few phones with an "oversized" battery.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
My 6P made it through about 40 hours of my normal light usage with being on WiFi most of the time and BT on always and hit about 18%. My old N5 would be down to about 35% after the first ~14 hours.

Absolutely no complaints about the battery life.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DemonMage posted:

Which reviews gave low battery life? Did they give a specific number? The ones I saw were around 10 hours of screen on WiFi Web browsing or whatever which is top tier outside of maybe a few phones with an "oversized" battery.
I guess I'm mostly thinking of the Android Police review:

quote:

[...] here's what I'll say about the 6P's battery: it lasts all day for me, and not much longer. I can generally expect to have it off the charger for about 13-14 hours before hitting the 15% "low battery" warning, with about 3 hours screen on time during that period.
Seems that most other sites were more positive.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Is the 2013 Nexus 7 still the least senseless Android tablet?

If it is, that actually makes the oversized phones coming out these days make a lot of sense. And yes I realize what I appear to mean by oversized as a 2014 Moto X Pure user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Is the 2013 Nexus 7 still the least senseless Android tablet?

If it is, that actually makes the oversized phones coming out these days make a lot of sense. And yes I realize what I appear to mean by oversized as a 2014 Moto X Pure user.
Yes, as far as I know. I'll be sad when it stops getting updates, mine is still my primary reading device.