Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
heres a new boat quiz:

The film is from the launching of the ship, but before superstructure is completed. Somewhat famous boat. I edited out a flag.

Truck Stop Daddy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Aesis posted:

I probably would have earned about 250k credit if I weren't using premium ship and premium account. And yes xp depends on % of damage done to total hp of a ship, therefore shooting a 10k hp destroyer for 2k damage rewards more xp than shooting 50k hp battleship for 2k damage. That's one of reasons why pubbies shoot destroyers even if they're 10+ km off. I've had many occasions when pubbies shot at me even when I was only 1~2 km from friendly battleship, 10~11 km from closest enemy :stare:

Eh, I guess some of my games would be around there with a premium account since that's a x2 increase. Still frustrating, but I suppose that's the point. I just never seem to have premium up(due to event reward or whatever) when I get my best games.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Wade Wilson posted:

The Dresden has been pretty fun, actually. But I've been in matches where at least two others would be on the same team as me and we'd roll around the map together with one of us constantly keeping an enemy on fire, the other sending a stream of AP and the third setting another enemy on fire until we can switch to that one after sinking the first ship we target.

Having enough guns to basically keep a constant stream of shells coming in is pretty fun.
Yeah I'm enjoying the Dresden too, I think I might even keep it for some occasional low tier putzing around. Yeah the guns are weedly, but the fire rate is just too hilarious, it's like opening a portal to the elemental plane of cannon shells.

Lake Effect
May 8, 2008

Atal Vataman posted:

The film is from the launching of the ship, but before superstructure is completed. Somewhat famous boat. I edited out a flag.

USS San Pablo?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

I... I love this game. So goddamn much. And people say you can't force your team to win, despite all their attempts to lose. Although it DID come down to a 1v1 close range brawl between 2 cruisers, the survivor getting away with 1k HP left.

I need to upload this one, it was a nailbiter.

Also, the T2 RUS DD is hilarious. My torps are off cooldown insanely fast, and I've got 9 per full spread. Jesus loving christ.

Edit: Just had a game with Salems on both teams.

The end result? DRAW

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 21, 2015

Timmy Horsey
Dec 13, 2012

Kolberg is pretty meh. The early German line is very lackluster, hopefully will be better at tier 5 onwards.

There's a certain aspect with me in the new Russian DDs I just enjoy though; just moving in real close and dumping a ton of torpedoes into someones face. It is a great feeling :getin:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The Derkzi's torpedo launchers are... well, kinda lame. You can't broadside torps, so there's a delay between every torpedo salvo, and since each individual torp does only 6k damage, getting the drop on somebody can still end with you dead before all your launchers are empty. Very disappointing. 22 second torp reload is pretty hilarious, though.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Hazdoc posted:

The Derkzi's torpedo launchers are... well, kinda lame. You can't broadside torps, so there's a delay between every torpedo salvo, and since each individual torp does only 6k damage, getting the drop on somebody can still end with you dead before all your launchers are empty. Very disappointing. 22 second torp reload is pretty hilarious, though.

It's still hilarious when you get the drop on someone. I had a pretty great game in Derzki on Islands. 15 torp hits, 60k damage.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

PirateBob posted:

It's still hilarious when you get the drop on someone. I had a pretty great game in Derzki on Islands. 15 torp hits, 60k damage.

I will admit, if you get the drop on a group of BBs, you are going to RUIN their day. You're getting at least 2 of them, unless a cruiser intervenes.

The Fujin is definitely a Minekaze. Please come on TS and play boats with me, I'm so lonely. I want to brag about my sick frags and complain about CVs with goons instead of listening to anime music all day long.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 22, 2015

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

so what kraut cruisers should i free XP past? at dresden, not really a fan and i hear it gets worse. should i just skip the line?

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

guidoanselmi posted:

so what kraut cruisers should i free XP past? at dresden, not really a fan and i hear it gets worse. should i just skip the line?

I am curious what, if any is the best ship for the Germans and Russians assuming a game of +/- 1 tier. I'll level them both up, but not sure where to stop.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

I bought the Fujin because what WoWS needs is more Minekazes terrorizing low tier BB drivers.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

guidoanselmi posted:

Kolberg is a Dresden with a few extra knots and Karlsruhe is allegedly pre buff Furutaka level bad (if not worse). And the people saying Karlsruhe is awful are people who already played the other two. Dresden and Kolberg are both worse than the tier 1, not just tier for tier but overall as well.

The Rev posted:

I am curious what, if any is the best ship for the Germans and Russians assuming a game of +/- 1 tier. I'll level them both up, but not sure where to stop.

Königsberg was pretty fun during the preview. Nürnberg looks like it should be OK too. Not sure about the tier 7 (51 second turret rotation) but the others look decent.
Russian destroyers don't look to have any obvious stinkers, if you don't mind having inconsequential torpedoes.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
Any advice on how to spend my 3 points for a probably BB captain? I already have Expert Loader and Expert Marksmen. Of the Tier 3 Captain skills I imagine Vigilance and Superintendent are most useful for a BB captain.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Das_Ubermike posted:

Any advice on how to spend my 3 points for a probably BB captain? I already have Expert Loader and Expert Marksmen. Of the Tier 3 Captain skills I imagine Vigilance and Superintendent are most useful for a BB captain.

I wouldn't have taken Expert Loader, its a very useless skill.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705704&pagenumber=216&perpage=40#post448052728

There's a big effort post where I ramble about skills. I recommend either Basic Firing Training or Basics of Survivability (Level 1, taking both is perfectly valid, though I say Survivability over BFT as fire is much more dangerous), Aiming Expert (Level 2), and High Alert (Level 3). Superintendent isn't a terrible choice at level 3 either, if you find yourself running out of repairs often.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Boss mode would be more fun if the people playing the boss ever left their team's spawn. All the bosses I've seen have been driven by super bad players (repeatedly missing battleships at 8 km) who just sat in the far back to force a win on points. :(

Das_Ubermike posted:

Get the skill that reduces damage control cooldown.

Orgytron
Aug 11, 2007
Currently grinding New York and I started looking at New Mexico stats. Is there anything it brings to the table that the NY doesn't already do? It doesn't look like that great of an upgrade. Its range and maneuverability are both worse, for example.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Game's pretty cool. Does anyone hang out in the goon chat listed in the OP or is it all TeamSpeak/IRC?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Orgytron posted:

Currently grinding New York and I started looking at New Mexico stats. Is there anything it brings to the table that the NY doesn't already do? It doesn't look like that great of an upgrade. Its range and maneuverability are both worse, for example.

It has 4 triple turrets, better armor, and better accuracy. The New Mexico is an absolute monster of a boat, the terror of T6. And that's the same tier as the Cleveland. Munch on Clevelands and any cruiser foolish enough to show its citadel to you, and watch poo poo bounce all day from other BBs.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Atal Vataman posted:

heres a new boat quiz:

My guess is the USS Langley before they put the flight deck on it.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Orgytron posted:

12 Barrels as opposed to 10. You also don't need to show your sides to get all of them on a target unlike the New York with it's central turret.

Like Hazdoc says, it's an excellent ship. I kept two tier 6 ships, the Cleveland and the New Mex and of the two, it's likely the New Mex which is the more murderous.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I just got dumpstered by another ranger who was running 1/1/1 (I ran 2/0/1). His torp bombers just obliterated my fighters, to the point where he would destroy an entire squadron and lose 2 bombers.

This game is really weird sometimes.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Did he have whatever is the upgraded planes and yours were stock ? Also might have had that Captain skill that makes defensive gunners (AFAIK all dive and torp bombers have them) more effective.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My guess is the USS Langley before they put the flight deck on it.

It's too small for Langley imo, looks like a Destroyer to me, or maybe even a smaller type

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Hazdoc posted:

It has 4 triple turrets, better armor, and better accuracy. The New Mexico is an absolute monster of a boat, the terror of T6. And that's the same tier as the Cleveland. Munch on Clevelands and any cruiser foolish enough to show its citadel to you, and watch poo poo bounce all day from other BBs.

Yup, New Mexico is the best T6!

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

NTRabbit posted:

It's too small for Langley imo, looks like a Destroyer to me, or maybe even a smaller type

It is indeed a destroyer. However, captured ships of the same class was redesignated as torpedoboats by the Germans.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I kept my St. Louis and tried it out against all the low tier German cruisers. In a Tier 3 match, it is simply hilarious. It has better armor and more powerful guns. It doesn't have the ROF and is slower, but five kills, a confederate and high caliber awards later, I carried my team for a win. I'd link a screen shot, but phone posting.

Also had an extremely satisfying four citadel broadside against a Myoko in my Atago; killed him in one salvo. It was on North, but we lost because the pubbies are allergic to cap circles.

The film boat is a destroyer of some kind, but I haven't a clue about which one.

I'll make it a point to get in chat and TS. I have a bad habit of watching Netflix on the second monitor.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 22, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Hazdoc posted:

I haven't tried the New Mexico yet. I absolutely loved the Fuso though. Would you say that the New Mex is categorically better? :raise:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Oldstench posted:

Does this game take a supercomputer to run decently? I'm trying to find something to play on my scrub-tier PC.

As long as you are not dead set on eye candy you should be fine with their minimum spec'ed PC they stated. My in-law plays on a PC barely squeaking by the requirements. He had to turn off or down to lowest settings things like shadows, water quality, post processing and the draw distance. Minecraft for botes.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

MoraleHazard posted:

The film boat is a destroyer of some kind, but I haven't a clue about which one.
a hint!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Is it HNoMS Sleipner?

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

NTRabbit posted:

Is it HNoMS Sleipner?

Yes, it is!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The line drawing showing the single stack and turret layout was most helpful, because the Germans had a shitload of similar hull shaped old Italian destroyers they captured and called "torpedo boats" as well

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

NTRabbit posted:

The line drawing showing the single stack and turret layout was most helpful, because the Germans had a shitload of similar hull shaped old Italian destroyers they captured and called "torpedo boats" as well

In the newsreel this is from, it is actually called a torpedo boat as well. It's official designation was a "jager" (destroyer), so that is probably just the film people screwing up.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

James Garfield posted:

Kolberg is a Dresden with a few extra knots and Karlsruhe is allegedly pre buff Furutaka level bad (if not worse). And the people saying Karlsruhe is awful are people who already played the other two. Dresden and Kolberg are both worse than the tier 1, not just tier for tier but overall as well.

It was seriously disconcerting to run around in a Dresden and find myself outranged by a tier one ship. I guess Free XP past the Karlsruhe is the name of the game, then.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

PirateBob posted:

I haven't tried the New Mexico yet. I absolutely loved the Fuso though. Would you say that the New Mex is categorically better? :raise:

I'd say they're both good. Maybe leaning towards the New Mex because of it's better armouring and better angling when it wants all it's turrets on a target.

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
Just got the Amagi and the first game went pretty well for my standards (sorry for the screenshot). Is the ship really good or was this just a one-off?

PS: thanks god I'm not the only one doing terribly in low tier German cruisers. Although it gets somewhat equalized by the fact that _everybody_ seems to be in a German cruiser right now.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

psy.Che posted:

Just got the Amagi and the first game went pretty well for my standards (sorry for the screenshot). Is the ship really good or was this just a one-off?

PS: thanks god I'm not the only one doing terribly in low tier German cruisers. Although it gets somewhat equalized by the fact that _everybody_ seems to be in a German cruiser right now.

There's nothing wrong with the Amagi (although the stock hull kind of sucks). If you're good with it and the other team is bad you can get results like that.

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011

wdarkk posted:

There's nothing wrong with the Amagi (although the stock hull kind of sucks). If you're good with it and the other team is bad you can get results like that.

I've yet to see a great stock BB hull. And yes, the enemy team weren't very good, even from my limited point of view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

psy.Che posted:

The tier 4 german cruiser was a loving horror show. Never hated a ship so much as i did that thing. Tier 5 seems decent, don't know about higher. They seem very fragile though.