Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Actually, the EU is cool and good, OP. The Internet and media told me this regularly since 2016. All problems in the UK now are purely down to leaving the EU. So rejoining would naturally make all problems vanish.

It’s simple, really.

i mean it was much easier to run away which is a good thing if you can

the one down side is most of the EU is going to get worse in the next decade so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

spacetoaster posted:

My two aunts (one in Ukraine, one in Russia) finally started talking on the phone again today and argued so hard about the war that they both got hospitalized for chest pain.

hell yeah.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Starsfan posted:

shocking news: American GPS guided artillery shells actually worse than much cheaper and more plentiful "dumb" shells:

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2024/04/another-us-precision-guided-weapon-falls-prey-russian-electronic-warfare-us-says/396141/

This is your monthly reminder that NAFO optimism about Ukraine's successes on the ground in winning the attrition war with Russia are largely built upon the belief that the smart shells and other similar weapons are like 50x more effective and accurate than anything Russia is using.

Yea but have you ever tried to use Google maps or Uber on the kerch bridge? Ridiculously inconvenient

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

MinutePirateBug posted:

God selling the Union building fire as an accident is vile, and just loving completely underselling how loving greasy and vile the US has been in this whole thing is loving awful. loving arch-liberal from hell.

That seems like a common talking point from them, that the Odessa fire just kind of happened and it was a simple accident

That or they deserved it because one or two of them might have had weapons. Often they believe both at the same time.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

How much could it possibly cost to temporarily capture a small eastern European hamlet, Michael? Twelve leopards?

https://twitter.com/MilitarySummary/status/1785089323173286114#m

Robotyne on one hand doesn't have much strategic value, being an essentially flattened village by now, but also lol if Ukraine's only gain during their offensive has been overturned, just like that.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Everyone has been focusing on the eastern front and then ukranian lose their crown jewel of the failed summer offensive without much fanfare.

Like robotyne was a small farm town but its still the thing the ukranians and the nafos latched on to

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Everyone has been focusing on the eastern front and then ukranian lose their crown jewel of the failed summer offensive without much fanfare.

Like robotyne was a small farm town but its still the thing the ukranians and the nafos latched on to

There has been back and forth fighting over it, but honestly, the Russians clearly have the munitions advantage and there was no way for the Ukrainians to hold it without just continually sending in men to die.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Luckily for NAFO, they willfully reject concept such as "remembering things from several months ago". This will be handwaved away despite the fact that its capture in August lead to celebration

VoicesCanBe has issued a correction as of 13:45 on Apr 30, 2024

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

genericnick posted:

Lmao, great stuff from great brains at RAND.

"Nearly eight decades ago, the United States faced some of the same challenges that Ukraine faces today. But the U.S. Army persisted, and its slow, daily advances wore down the German defenders. The cumulative attritional effect proved decisive in the end. "

Makes sense. This analogy holds because the Germans were fighting a war against one country, just like Ukraine. Bonus points for the logic of "if you get into a war of attrition, you win ". It's the Russians being worn down, just like the Germans were.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

spacetoaster posted:

My two aunts (one in Ukraine, one in Russia) finally started talking on the phone again today and argued so hard about the war that they both got hospitalized for chest pain.

Lostconfused posted:

Buy them both an account.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

VoicesCanBe posted:

That seems like a common talking point from them, that the Odessa fire just kind of happened and it was a simple accident

That or they deserved it because one or two of them might have had weapons. Often they believe both at the same time.

So "it didn't happen, it's exaggerated, and if it did happen they deserved it?"

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Isentropy posted:

This was the viewpoint of the d&d eastern Europe thread at the time.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Nearly eight decades ago, the United States faced some of the same challenges that Ukraine faces today. But the U.S. Army persisted, and its slow, daily advances wore down the German defenders. The cumulative attritional effect proved decisive in the end.

the problem with this kind of analogy is that the Allies had a pretty good idea that they were inflicting greater casualties on the Germans, even if we completely set aside the notion that the Allies never managed to engage in maneuver warfare

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Starsfan posted:

shocking news: American GPS guided artillery shells actually worse than much cheaper and more plentiful "dumb" shells:

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2024/04/another-us-precision-guided-weapon-falls-prey-russian-electronic-warfare-us-says/396141/

This is your monthly reminder that NAFO optimism about Ukraine's successes on the ground in winning the attrition war with Russia are largely built upon the belief that the smart shells and other similar weapons are like 50x more effective and accurate than anything Russia is using.

I'm guessing this ventures into Russian military secrets territory but is GLONASS actually built in such a way to be harder to jam (how?) or is the only addition to those jam-hardened guidance units that they have a phased array to allow directional listening to satellite signals? Seems like a relatively easy fix that would only cost a couple hundred million to develop in the west.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Also the Allies, you know, were advancing. Every Ukranian 'advance' is just like 'we took Boris' potato field but the Russians still hold his cabbage field five metres away' followed by 'we have lost the potato field' two days later

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Isentropy posted:

"It didn't happen"
"It did happen but it was an accident"
"It happened but they did it to themselves"
"It happened and they deserved it and worse"

Somehow they believe all 4 simultaneously.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lol the posting voice of the d&d eastern european thread is like a group of really lovely children who think they're in a gang, absolutely deranged

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol the posting voice of the d&d eastern european thread is like a group of really lovely children who think they're in a gang, absolutely deranged
Pretty Eastern European.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Leandros posted:

I'm guessing this ventures into Russian military secrets territory but is GLONASS actually built in such a way to be harder to jam (how?) or is the only addition to those jam-hardened guidance units that they have a phased array to allow directional listening to satellite signals? Seems like a relatively easy fix that would only cost a couple hundred million to develop in the west.

The Ukrainians could probably do it the other way around if they had the tech and time I would imagine. The problem though is also the volume, and the Russians amping up the explosive payload in response.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Regarde Aduck posted:

Lol at the guy trying to point out the disgusting endorsement of other countries rounding up Ukranian refugees for the war effort and all the retards simply deciding it's because people think they're American, as confirmed by a Canadian failed lawyer living in Denmark

The forums, like Putin, ftw

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Starsfan posted:

I remember decades ago, during the Iraq war, reading about Russia pursuing GPS jammer technology as a response to US smart weaponry. I remember at the time thinking along the lines of "man the US would be hosed if that worked out."

I guess the military minds of the US discounted either that Russia would be able to accomplish such a thing or that their most advanced weapon systems would ever be deployed against Russia. Oops.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The idea that Ukraine could “just” win a war of attrition tells you how far the lack of material grounding goes.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Toplowtech posted:

Pretty Eastern European.

Yeah I also think slovo patsana was alright.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

And probably why the secession was limited to the most 'Russian' zones and didn't spread. They left solely in opposition to the Maidan coup, not *for* any rival nationalist project. Imagine if Putin had been half the plotter the west makes him out to be and had seeded 'greater Russia' as hard as western NGOs supported Ukrainian fascist revisionism

That's what drives me crazy about mynfridnd saying Russia won't leave Ukraine alone (forgetting that Ukriane was a part of Russia long Ukrianian identity emerged, but what ever) that Russia was fine with leaving Ukraine alone for the past 30 years, that maybe a fascist coup to wage a cultural war on Russia might have provoked all this. You could have kept a neutral ground and played Russia and the IMF off each other for loans, but no they had to fo all in on cultural grievances from some loving Canadians

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Both sides were exploiting cultural grievances for personal benefit. Destroying Ukraine in the process isn't anyone's problem since the people responsible for it managed to personally enrich themselves.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Резидент posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
More and more military men are choosing life instead of criminal orders. 15,000 military personnel received disciplinary punishments. Now these military are "not used anywhere" — MP Kamelchuk

The soldiers were punished, in particular, for not following orders or for desertion.

Earlier, lawyer Rostilav Kravets announced that during the war more than 100 thousand fighters voluntarily left their units.
(from t.me/rezident_ua/22649, via tgsa)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

Sometimes buildings just catch fire and burn and its nobody's fault except for Russia

Czech police have shelved the investigation into the 2014 explosions at the Vrbetice ammunition depot, saying it is proven that it was carried out by members of the Russian military intelligence GRU.

“It is clearly and without any doubt proven by a police investigation that explosions at both depots in Vrbetice were carried out by members of the Russian military intelligence […] known under the abbreviation GRU,” Czech Minister of Interior Vit Rakusan told media on Monday, April 29.

Some 10 years have passed since the powerful blasts, which killed two Czech citizens working at the site and caused damage to the nearby villages, but it was only in the spring of 2021 that GRU’s involvement was first openly discussed by the Czech authorities.

The revelation caused a political sensation, transforming Czech-Russian relations, but at the time it was played down by the then populist President Milos Zeman, who sided with Russian dictator Vladimir Putin and openly cast doubt on Czech intelligence's revelations.

At a press conference on Monday, Rakusan also said that Russia is “transgressing valid international agreements” after it refused to cooperate with Czech authorities on the case.

“Bodies of the Russian Federation refused to comply with the request raised by the Czech Republic through international legal assistance, arguing that dealing with Czech request could impede the sovereignty, public order and important interests of the Russian Federation,” Rakusan summed up.

The case has reinvigorated media interest in the two GRU agents who are supposed to have been involved in the explosions and who are the same GRU agents involved in the notorious attempt at poisoning the double-agent Sergei Skripal and his daughter in Salisbury in the UK – Anatoliy Chepiga and Alexander Mishkin.
Although the report by the Czech National Agency for Countering Organised Crime (NCOZ) states that GRU’s involvement is proven, it does not name the two agents, and NCOZ states that because the two suspects are on Russian territory and Russia refused to cooperate, it was forced to shelve the investigation.

Czech Radio’s investigative reporter Artur Janousek explained that “although there are no names in the [NCOZ] report” the investigators rely on “a whole array of indications” and that Chepiga and Mishkin were proved to be present in Czechia at the time of the explosions.

Chepiga and Mishkin were supposed to have relied on GRU contacts inside Czechia, including the deep-cover spies, the couple Elena and Nikolai Shaposhnikov, as news outlet Insider reported at length.

The Russian couple was able to obtain Czech citizenship after they had left the collapsing Soviet Union in the early 1990s. Nikolai Shaposhnikov was previously deployed with the Soviet army in eastern Slovakia, then Czechoslovaka.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If the munitions are not accurate that means it’s no longer moral to fire them :(
sad for nato

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Lostconfused posted:

Both sides were exploiting cultural grievances for personal benefit. Destroying Ukraine in the process isn't anyone's problem since the people responsible for it managed to personally enrich themselves.

yup.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Organ Fiend posted:

I remember decades ago, during the Iraq war, reading about Russia pursuing GPS jammer technology as a response to US smart weaponry. I remember at the time thinking along the lines of "man the US would be hosed if that worked out."

I guess the military minds of the US discounted either that Russia would be able to accomplish such a thing or that their most advanced weapon systems would ever be deployed against Russia. Oops.

I mean, wasn't Truman's aggressive posturing with nuclear weapons towards Stalin based entirely on his firm belief that the Russians were too stupid to make the bomb?

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Starsfan posted:

I checked for 155mm shells because I figured you can't really change the outer form of the shells too much to fit so the electronics and guidance hardware of Excalibur shells has to take internal space.

The M795 standard US shell weight 47kg including a filling of 10.8kg.
The M982 Excalibur rounds weight 48kg including a filling of 5.4kg.

If the GPS gets spoofed a bit to reduce the accuracy, it sure as gently caress become a way lesser shell, not even accounting for the failure from firing.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lostconfused posted:

Buy them both an account.

They would probably both get a perma in a week.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

spacetoaster posted:

Yes, you should do it

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

spacetoaster posted:

lol

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I hope they are okay but it’s funny

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I think of Sir Michael Gambon’s character in the film Toys a lot and how he nailed how modern warfare would happen in 2024 with drones.

Also the Ukrainian military seems to have learned from his line about reinforcements.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

mutually assured posting destruction

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Virtual Russian posted:

I mean, wasn't Truman's aggressive posturing with nuclear weapons towards Stalin based entirely on his firm belief that the Russians were too stupid to make the bomb?

Don't know, but I'd totally believe it.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 46 minutes!
would like to remind everyone that posting about d&d or gbs is impermissible in this thread. thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I thought it was specifically the other Ukraine war threads that were off limits, we're not allowed to post about any other threads from either of those forums?