Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

crossposting from trailers to share this new russian film that's all about ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That film The Last Witch Hunter is literally one of Vin Diesel's D&D campaigns adapted into a screenplay

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

re: action movie chat: the raid 1 and 2 are literally some of the best movies I’ve ever seen. While it doesn’t look as breathtaking as fury road the fight choreography is just unbelievable. It also makes a fight in John wick 3 more satisfying to watch.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

re: action movie chat: the raid 1 and 2 are literally some of the best movies I’ve ever seen. While it doesn’t look as breathtaking as fury road the fight choreography is just unbelievable. It also makes a fight in John wick 3 more satisfying to watch.

I think the story about that how that John Wick 3 fight got improved was great, and basically sets Keanu above the other action stars mentioned here (spoilers for the film)

Chad Stahelski
“loving huge fans. When Keanu found out, you never saw a bigger smile and you never saw a bigger worry. Because they are fast as gently caress and they’re fantastic. It was one of the funnest ways to choreograph I’ve ever done, because they are masters. And they are fun. Literally none of the dialogue scene you saw with them was in the script at all. Every time they’d switch it on during the rehearsals and you’d think they’re the most bad rear end guys ever. Then we’d yell cut and they’d start smiling, laughing, help Keanu up and go ‘Mr Reeves are you okay?’. They were in awe of Keanu as much as Keanu was in awe of them. And it was like the second day of shooting the glass house and they kept doing the same thing and Keanu was like ‘we’ve got to put that in the movie, just have them help me up’. And we said pause, everybody go to lunch early and me and Keanu sat there and just wrote 2 more scenes for them. That’s actually Keanu falling down in that shot too, he just fell back down ‘cos he’s loving knackered. And they actually help him up and then Cecep’s like, ‘alright I’m not gonna’ loving help you then’. And then they start talking and they go through the glass and Keanu’s like ‘I want to show these guys respect, I don’t want to kill these guys’. And that all came about just because of how loving cool Cecep and Yayan are.”

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For years people have repeated that "fast and the furious is literally a D&D campaign" and it's like well, I guess, but like... you could say that about anything

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

last year at marienbad is my favorite movie based on a D&D campaign

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Terminator 2 is the best action movie don’t @ me

Pulcinella posted:

F&F is basically a D&D campaign. They start off as low level characters in the first movie stealing DVD players and CRT televisions while by the end they are max level characters destroying nuclear submarines with enchanted +5 vorpal Honda Civics.

The best description I’ve seen of the F&F movies is “superhero movies where everyone’s superpower is cars”

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Terminator 2 is the best action movie don’t @ me
The director's cut scene after they leave the hospital is nuts and I can never decide whether I should have seen it or not. I can't unsee it now.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think my favorite thing about the entire terminator series is in the first movie when arnie shows up there are three cartoonish 1980s punks playing with a telescope at an observation deck

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m not gonna shill for sequels because I don’t think any of them are as perfect as the originals, but The Transporter, The RAID, John Wick, the Protector, and Smokin’ Aces are all loving excellent action movies.

MM:Fury Road might be my favorite movie in the last decade, it’s a true cinematic accomplishment and an absolute joy to watch.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Fury Road is a sequel

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Transporter 2 is way better than the first one

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

precision posted:

Transporter 2 is way better than the first one

:hai:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

It's like a film teacher saying no true art has ever been made after 1979 except you're posting in a PS4 thread and at least that guy gets paid to say dumb poo poo

Except saying I personally don’t like something is actually nothing like that at all. Nice try tho.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Fast and the Furious isn't just something people decided to like, it's like my generation grew up watching those movies when we were in elementary school/middle school and I literally didn't know the plot, I just liked the CGI of the NOS getting pumped into the engine, and the car races. Then when they sort of rebooted it after Tokyo Drift we were old enough to be like 'lol let's go see it in theaters', no one actually thinks they're good movies, like, John Wick isn't any more intelligent than those movies.

I also haven't seen the Mad Max movie, it looked boring. And it was called Mad Max, and looks like some edgy version of Burning Man. Can we talk about how good Berserk is instead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIoILN_KrhU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Fury Road is a sequel

:actually: it's a remake

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You're dead to me Imhotep

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Imhotep posted:

I also haven't seen the Mad Max movie, it looked boring.

lol

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
That was me trying hard to poo poo post, except the bit about Berserk and not having seen Mad Max. John Wick is good though.

edit: Mad Max DOES look boring, knowing nothing else about it except that Tom Hardy is a badman, and I didn't even know that Tom Hardy was in it, or as good as he is at the time that I had formed that opinion, but I should watch it cause I just assumed that based on the trailer. Also I haven't seen any Fast and the Furious movies since the one that little kid wrote.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 7, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fury Road is both the overall best film of the last decade AND the single best action film ever made by humans.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tom Hardy is good actually

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah what the hell, Tom Hardy is amazing. If you disagree, watch Bronson

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I thought it was some sort of in-universe mythical take on Mad Max?

A choice made in part I’m sure because, well, Mel Gibson over the last couple of decades, whoof.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dewgy posted:

A choice made in part I’m sure because, well, Mel Gibson over the last couple of decades, whoof.

I was joking, but structurally it is strikingly similar to Road Warrior

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I only watched Fury Road because of the hype and it lived up to it. I don't think it's available on streaming services without a rental fee, but I just got it from the local library.

Hey so about videogames, I just finished MGSV, that is, I got the final real actual ending where Venom Snake remembers who he really is. I then watched the cut content that has some sort of actual resolution, and even that was just...meh. I had a lot of fun playing this game, but it really didn't need to be an open-world game and go on for so long. My favorite MGS game is 3, heck MGS3 is one of my GOAT. I played it over and over and over, trying different strategies and finding different easter eggs, finding all the frog statues, finding new ways to disable or kill guards and then feeling bad in the river of death. Technically MGSV has a lot more to offer, but very little of it is as unique or engaging. You have a lot of tools to disable guards, but with the cookie cutter way the bases are designed and the recruit->reload->recruit loop the game has, I found that all I really cared about once I got to the last few missions of chapter 1 was getting through things quickly because I wanted to finish the game because some stupid part of my brain wasn't satisfied with just watching the cutscenes or reading a synopsis, I had to experience it. Discovering the speed boost on the walker gear was incredible, and the last mission of chapter 1 I just equipped the shield and raced through the base so I could sit in a jeep while a poorly developed villain monologued at me.

I like a lot of the things this game was going for. Quiet was really interesting as a character and her arc was neat, and she was a great option as a buddy- good but not completely broken. The buddy system in general was really nice once you got past D-Horse. The theme of revenge and corruption and the defeat of Skull Face being just part of an overall story of Snake/Big Boss turning into a villain are great concepts. Not so much in practice. The gameplay itself is smooth and a lot of fun, and if every MGS game was remade in this engine I'd be ok with that.

But boy oh boy, this game is a hot mess. Quiet's character arc is drowned by the gross and weird sexualization of her design. Maybe I misunderstood, but didn't Skull Face and Code Talker and the male Skulls have the same skin parasite developed from The End that lets them breath through their skin? But they didn't have to wear a itty bitty tiny teeny olive drab bikini just to live. I was hugely relieved when I was able to get Quiet in an actual uniform. The plot overall felt like a writer's strike happened part way through. And the humor was buried in the tapes, which are a step down from codec calls IMO because at least Codec calls are supposed to be an active conversation about something you're currently going through instead of just a podcast. The only bit of humor in the tapes is Kaz making hamburgers. In a game with hours of recorded conversations.
For all of the polish of the game's engine, it felt like it lost the minute details other MGS games had because of the greater scale. There's still some fun and weird interactions you can find, but there's nothing like capturing a spider, throwing it at someone's head and poisoning them, or using electric mushrooms to absorb Volgin's lightning attacks. A lot of the sneaking missions become routine, especially if you've already broken into the base multiple times and the only difference is now some guards are snipers and such. The combat missions, for me at least, just felt like drudgery because they turn an engine designed for stealth into a 3rd person shooter.

The only parts of the game that felt like they accomplished what they set out to and did it well were the battle with Quiet, which was challenging in the best way, and the scene in the quarantine mission when Venom Snake has to kill his own men. Forcing the player to gun down your own soldiers hit me really hard in a way none of the other attempts to draw me into the struggle of Diamond Dogs did.

I'm honestly a little bitter that I put in the time to finish the game. I kind of wish I had stopped at the end of chapter 1 and just watched the rest.

TL;DR: I'm not saying anything new about MGSV and it's a shame it didn't live up to its potential.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zonko_T.M. posted:

But boy oh boy, this game is a hot mess. Quiet's character arc is drowned by the gross and weird sexualization of her design. Maybe I misunderstood, but didn't Skull Face and Code Talker and the male Skulls have the same skin parasite developed from The End that lets them breath through their skin? But they didn't have to wear a itty bitty tiny teeny olive drab bikini just to live. I was hugely relieved when I was able to get Quiet in an actual uniform. The plot overall felt like a writer's strike happened part way through. And the humor was buried in the tapes, which are a step down from codec calls IMO because at least Codec calls are supposed to be an active conversation about something you're currently going through instead of just a podcast. The only bit of humor in the tapes is Kaz making hamburgers. In a game with hours of recorded conversations.

They didn't have their lungs burned out like she did. The amount of skin she actually needs to breath fine is still a whole lot less than "unsupportive string bikini and thong" coverage though. When she's fending off a bunch of rapey PMC's in her last mission, she goes from gasping to full-power murder-mode the moment just her legs are exposed. There's zero reason she couldn't have gone with something relatively-sane like a sports bra and cargo pants or shorts even by their own justifications.

But that doesn't get into the hot mess that is spending time in the helicopter with her, or even her cell blaring 80's music and being a fistful of singles away from a stripper stage show.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m not gonna shill for sequels because I don’t think any of them are as perfect as the originals, but The Transporter, The RAID, John Wick, the Protector, and Smokin’ Aces are all loving excellent action movies.

MM:Fury Road might be my favorite movie in the last decade, it’s a true cinematic accomplishment and an absolute joy to watch.

Seeing Fury Road in theaters was one of my all time greatest movie going experiences of all time. It's a great action movie, definitely up there with the best of them, but not my favorite by any means. But seeing it in theaters with absolutely zero expectations going in was absolutely jaw dropping.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dewgy posted:

It's like Zelda, the protagonist and general terms of the setting are the same but at the same time they all have that mythic dimension that makes it not really matter that they couldn't possibly all take place in the life of a single man. Even ignoring the continuity conflicts (like the same car getting blown up in at least two of them) the form of the story is always that Max wanders into a situation as a stranger, gets caught up in it, and wanders out never to be seen again. A bunch of wastelanders are sitting around a fire swapping tall tales and each of them tells a different Mad Max story.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

In vidyagames related chat: I'm gonna get today Anthem for 7.95€ (physical release) just to leave it with the plastic wrap, maybe get Andromeda for 5€ too. I own Duke Nukem Forever Balls of Steel Edition too.

Is like that scene on Predator 2 when Danny Glover sees all the trophies the predator has been collecting and you see the head of an Alien on the wall.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Guillermus posted:

In vidyagames related chat: I'm gonna get today Anthem for 7.95€ (physical release) just to leave it with the plastic wrap, maybe get Andromeda for 5€ too. I own Duke Nukem Forever Balls of Steel Edition too.

Is like that scene on Predator 2 when Danny Glover sees all the trophies the predator has been collecting and you see the head of an Alien on the wall.

Do you think you are the analog of a powerful interstellar alien hunter by spending money on bad video games and not playing them?

Did Anthem and Andromeda become rarity collectors items or something?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That is still too much to pay for Anthem

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Fast and Furious is really fun and well made, it also has the most diverse cast of any franchise

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Imhotep posted:

Fast and the Furious isn't just something people decided to like, it's like my generation grew up watching those movies when we were in elementary school/middle school and I literally didn't know the plot, I just liked the CGI of the NOS getting pumped into the engine, and the car races. Then when they sort of rebooted it after Tokyo Drift we were old enough to be like 'lol let's go see it in theaters', no one actually thinks they're good movies, like, John Wick isn't any more intelligent than those movies.

Fast & Furious is a franchise that 100% "knows what it is," which for all its stupidity makes it far more entertaining than products that are equally unintelligent yet demand to be taken with absolute sincerity.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tried to watch Fast Five because I know everyone likes it and honestly I thought it was ok at best. Don’t really have any interest in watching more of the main franchise.

Also KD!!!!!! Go watch Fury Road right loving now!!!!!!!!! I hate you until you’ve seen it!!!!!!!!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fury Road is the best film of the decade and it's not even close, unless you're French and count Twin Peaks: The Return.

Anyway, what games are people getting on these holiday sales :allears:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Donovan Trip posted:

Fast and Furious is really fun and well made, it also has the most diverse cast of any franchise

I agree that they have a very ethnically diverse cast, but the overall representation of women is absolutely ridiculously all over the place and ranges from sort of OK to “yuck”.

I also think cars are dumb and The Transporter has the only car stunts I like.

LoL Mad Max Fury Road does remind me a lot of Burning Man, because there is a bigger camp there called Death Guild who have been there since basically it started, and their main theme was making sick Mad Max cars. The flaming guitar guy is 100% straight out of Black Rock Desert. You can’t go fast I. Those cars anymore, but if you hang out a few days after the festival ends and maybe offer up some champagne or something, one of the old heads will take you out to the deep desert and you can go buck wild in something that basically resembles a bed of nails with a transmission and and some wheels

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Fury Road is the best film of the decade and it's not even close, unless you're French and count Twin Peaks: The Return.

I love Fury Road but it's no Ned Rifle, Annihilation, or Cloud Atlas

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The ending of Fast and the furious 7 (I think) made me cry uncontrollably and if you didn’t, well, you’re just a drat Coward.

Annihilation is fantastic though I may not call it an action movie like these others.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Am I going to use this as a thin excuse to post my films of the decade? You bet!!!! Would love to hear from my other PS4 thread buds too.

01. Her
02. The Tree of Life
03. Before Midnight
04. Mad Max: Fury Road
05. Lady Bird
06. The Master
07. The Social Network
08. Boyhood
09. Inside Llewyn Davis
10. The Grand Budapest Hotel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU