Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pokey Araya posted:

Target fixation anyone?
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bf658_4707

Hrm, yes, suprisingly, if you stare at someone while they're crashing, you will run into them!

Also I love the way the announcer has no idea what a highside is but is like "He goes from 120mph to 20mph due to a missed shift"...that doesn't even make sense! :rolleyes:

Then again, who can be shocked by dramatic voice dude being a moron. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Just thought i'd share more pics of my '04 ZX-10R. I took these pics after a 2 hour track session this morning, that's why the mirrors are on and headlight untaped. The track is the Johor Circuit, in Pasir Gudang, Malaysia. I'm from Singapore, so that means i've got to bring my passport to get my track fixes. I got caught in an hour-long jam at the border, which was no fun in a 1-piece suit and the hot tropical sun.

The track is kinda like the wild, wild west. No tech requirements, you can ride with your headlights untaped and mirrors on. No marshalls (i had a highside in '05 on a weekday session and there was only one other rider using the track with me, i was lying there for 15 minutes before he found me), they only have them on their monthly "trackday specials". You just waltz up, pay the track rental fees for however many hours you want (11 USD/hr on weekdays, 15 USD/hr on weekends), show your receipt to the guy at the pit exit, he checks to make sure you've got the minimum requirement of gear, and you let 'er rip for as much as you want. No splitting up into novice/advanced/whatever, everyone shares the track. Oh yeah you also share the track with the wildlife, snakes and huge monitor lizards sunning themselves on the track, birds flying into your face etc. Think of that motogp video clip where the rider knees a cobra in the face, and you wouldn't be far off.

This was my first session with it after the suspension upgrade (Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 fork kit, Traxxion Dynamics revalve kit for the Ohlins shock), and coupled with fresh Metzeler Racetec K2 tires, it's a totally transformed bike. Previously the bike was so hard to turn and gave me zero confidence in the corners, now it's perfect. Much easier to turn-in, easier to change lines in mid-corner and allows me to get on the gas much sooner. For my skill level it's great, although i'm not that hot, probably about 10 seconds a lap off the fastest guys.

The bodywork is a Sebimoto fibreglass race fairing modded to accept the single headlight and stock taillight. Duct tape at the seat/tail to prevent any water ingress under the seat where the battery/ecu are, since i didn't get the supersport tail which would have required me to use a foam pad instead of the stock seat.

No action shots, there weren't any photographers around today. Next time i'll take pics of the pit complex/track itself. http://www.johorcircuit.com.my/

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
With all that beautiful work you've done on the bike, how come you've not replaced that horrible exhaust?

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent

ranathari posted:

With all that beautiful work you've done on the bike, how come you've not replaced that horrible exhaust?

The bike doesn't really need any more power, i've got a few little power mods in her, and the stock endcan has been gutted and she's got a custom map in the Power Commander. More than enough for me.

Power has always been at the bottom of my wishlist, although now that i'm done with the bike's protection/suspension/brakes, all that's left to do is the exhaust system. I might change it to save some weight and get a more fruity exaust note at some point.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

raffie posted:

The bike doesn't really need any more power, i've got a few little power mods in her, and the stock endcan has been gutted and she's got a custom map in the Power Commander. More than enough for me.

Power has always been at the bottom of my wishlist, although now that i'm done with the bike's protection/suspension/brakes, all that's left to do is the exhaust system. I might change it to save some weight and get a more fruity exaust note at some point.

That's a killer bike...

I understand completely where you're coming from on the "don't need any more power!" front. Around 120-130 HP is perfect for a rider like me :)

How big is the track?

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent

Z3n posted:

How big is the track?

Pretty small, about 3.8 km/2.4 miles and 12 metres wide. Only the front straight is on level ground, the rest of the track dips and climbs around a hill. You can find some onboard clips on youtube.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

raffie posted:

kickass 10r

Aren't you the guy with the significant other who also has a 10r?

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent

iroc_dis posted:

Aren't you the guy with the significant other who also has a 10r?

Yes that's me. She's got a titanium '06 10r, i don't believe they brought that colour into the states for the 06/07 models. She also loved the special edition '05 636 enough to turn her 10r into a clone of that bike.

She had a lowside coming out of turn 5 at the track i talked about, still hasn't decided what she wants to do about it, probably aftermarket street fairings in the red/silver MV Agusta scheme.

Her bike feels like a sportstourer compared to mine, even when mine was pretty stock. So soft and comfy, just that little bit more laggy in the throttle response and spongy in the suspension. Oh, and the lovely stock brakes. After riding my bike recently, she wants hers to "be more like mine".

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
^^^What is riding over there like? Just curious really, and different laws or regulations than usual?

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent

mutt2jeff posted:

^^^What is riding over there like? Just curious really, and different laws or regulations than usual?

The laws are pretty strict, and getting your license is a pretty long process. We've got a tiered licensing system here, at 18 you can enroll at one of the three driving centres (i teach in one of these) to get your first license. That allows you to ride bikes of up to 200cc. The learning process is long, at very least 20 hours in total circuit/road training for the best students (people with prior experience/revoked licenses/etc) but i've seen some students who've logged over 120 hours of training and still not managed to pass their test. For some people getting their basic license can take over a year/up to two years. I think it's a crap system that focuses too much on archaic rules and not enough on actual riding skills/awareness.

Anyway, once you get the basic license, you'll have to wait a year and have a decently clean record to be allowed to enroll at the centre and upgrade your license. A minimum of 6 hours training on a bigger bike and also a test. Once you pass this you're allowed to ride bikes up to 400cc. Another year and a decently clean record and you can go through everything again to get your open class license to ride bikes over 400cc.

Bikers in general are looked down upon,but that's because most people here ride for transport, like many other countries in Southeast Asia. We've also had a history of bike gang (related to the secret societies) problems in the 70s, 80s and early 90s, so the stigma still lingers. Everybody aspires to own an overpriced car here, so motorcycles are for those who are 'too poor'. The majority of bikes on the road are those below 200cc, so expect zero respect from the (horrible) drivers. I know of some expats working here who think the locals are crazy to ride on our roads, so they'll only ride their bikes to get to the border and into Malaysia.

We're a small island so there aren't any good roads to ride on anyways.

To get any good riding done, we have to go over into Malaysia. Although there are people who ride big bikes just to pootle about the island with, there are also those who ride up north to get their kicks. They've got an excellent Federal Highway system that runs all the way up to Thailand (about 900km away). Here you'll find the regular tourers and the highspeed tourers. They've got the Johor circuit about half an hour from the border and the Sepang Circuit about 3-4 hours away for the track guys like myself. They've also got alot of nice but dangerous trunk roads that lead to the scenic little towns.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I took some pics of the Sprint to try out my new 50/1.7 lens.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Oh my god...

http://feels.ru/2008/02/14/motociklom_po_ldu_15_foto.html

Sport bikes on a frozen lake. All that needs to be said.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pokey Araya posted:

Oh my god...

A loving hayabusa. :psyduck:

Ice racing is one thing, ice racing with a hayabusa is a whole 'nother level of :psypop:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
That page has some of the best emoticons ever

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Pokey Araya posted:

Oh my god...

What the loving gently caress. What on earth causes someone to think up racing motorcycles on a frozen lake

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Burnouts are loving AWESOME!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Just picked my bike up about 3 weeks ago. It's a Graphite Silver 2007 Yamaha R6 with 4k miles on the odometer. The only things I've got done to it so far is Fender Eliminator, Side Markers, and a Cool white led on the nose. I've got my HIDS and Sliders on the way. I've also got a friend who's integrating my rear blinkers into the passenger foot pegs.

OptimusMatrix fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 12, 2008

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

open24hours posted:

God if that man gains 50lbs he'll grind his rear end to mince!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What better incentive to stay in shape?

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Why they didn't put the pegs in a more reasonable position is beyond me. Looks like there is plenty of room. Looks like the poor guy is taking a poo poo in the woods.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

open24hours posted:

That is cool. I like the concept mods that go beyond raking the front end and stretching the tank.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OptimusMatrix posted:

Just picked my bike up about 3 weeks ago. It's a Graphite Silver 2007 Yamaha R6 with 4k miles on the odometer. The only things I've got done to it so far is Fender Eliminator, Side Markers, and a Cool white led on the nose. I've got my HIDS and Sliders on the way. I've also got a friend who's integrating my rear blinkers into the passenger foot pegs.

Oh, nice, so you're that guy.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

This is a sweet old Ducati single at the track day today.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well after many months and a few hundred dollars it's nearly done. I'm pretty sure the carbs need synced, and I need to find out what is going on with this gas leak. A few other minor electronic things and it should be ready to ride.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Nice save.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZXg2lbBpUE

Valt posted:

Well after many months and a few hundred dollars it's nearly done. I'm pretty sure the carbs need synced, and I need to find out what is going on with this gas leak. A few other minor electronic things and it should be ready to ride.

Sweet. Is it a CB750?

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

rope kid posted:

Nice save.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZXg2lbBpUE
Sweet. Is it a CB750?

Nope it's the 750s smaller brother the 550. I'm pretty sure that it's also a K and not a F, but regardless it's looking pretty good right now. Actually there is someone directly down the street from me who has a CB500. But that one is in pretty rough shape sadly.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

http://www.shacknews.com/screenshots.x?gallery=9872&game_id=4471

:c00l:

CompulsiveGamer
Jul 27, 2006
Who wants to get sexy with the captain?

Dear God - the product placement!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Valt posted:

What a gorgeous bike! Are those clipons or really low bars? I cant tell from the picture.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

You are such a whore.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Phat_Albert posted:

What a gorgeous bike! Are those clipons or really low bars? I cant tell from the picture.

They are just clubman bars. I think that clip ons would have made it way to low to ride around a lot. As it stands I get a little uncomfortable with those bars on it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

What in the hell :psyduck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDWqJe1dCgY&feature=related

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Fart Car '97 posted:

What in the hell :psyduck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDWqJe1dCgY&feature=related

Imagine riding that to the store, running an errand, then coming back and having to restart every one of those engines.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Uthor posted:

Imagine riding that to the store, running an errand, then coming back and having to restart every one of those engines.

or gassing it up 24 times every hour

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I helped out at the shop's trackday on Monday and I was rewarded with a few sessions on a couple of demo bikes. I took the 1098 out for the first two sessions and the 675 for the last two. The 1098 is a nice bike but the 675 is even better, in my opinion.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Turtle Parlor's TT and my CB on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

It was a really nice day, although we kept getting stuck behind tourists going 30 mph when the speed limit was 45. I hate tourists.

Edit: Before you yell at me, yes I know my helmet's not supposed to be like that but I was trying to get a picture as fast as possible so we could get back on and beat out the slow cars coming up behind us.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Pokey Araya posted:

Oh my god...

I can't explain it.. But I REALLY want to try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

frozenphil posted:

You are such a whore.
They even have it outfitted with sixty8 accessories. ;-*