Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Aniki posted:

As for sizing, I am just about your size and my old Itechs were 34 and if I had to do it all over again, I would get those pads in 33 or 33 +1. The new leg pads I ordered are 32 +1, but that's because Brian's sizing runs a bit big and their 32 +1 would be a 33 +1 in other brands' sizing. I am not sure about RBK's sizing, but it should be similar to Itech.
It's getting tempting to grab these. Is the goaliemonkey "spring cleaning" nonsense actually a temporary sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

It's getting tempting to grab these. Is the goaliemonkey "spring cleaning" nonsense actually a temporary sale?

The pads you picked out there are intermediate sizing. I'm not sure how different a 32 intermediate and a 32 senior are, but it is something to be aware of. As for the spring cleaning sale, Goalie Monkey is trying to get rid of it's old Itech stock, since all of the Itech gear is being rebranded as Bauer.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
What are the differences on the rx5s and rx7s?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Different build quality and material, I don't know too much about the current generation of Itech/Bauer, but I am sure someone can fill in the details. As for what I know, the RX5's should be meant for inline and getting started on ice. RX7's are solid senior pads that are good for ice and the RX9s are their pro level pad.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Someone on another forum posted this:

quote:

After getting to play around with all three sets though my fears were put at ease. There is a MUCH smaller difference between the RX5 and the RX7 than there was in the X-wing series. In many ways I couldn't even tell the difference between them. I kept grabbing the RX7 pads when I was meaning to pick up the RX5 they were so similar. The leg pads felt very very similar. The biggest difference I noticed was the presence of the extra wedge on the side right above the knee lock and landing gear (sorry I am not sure of the name of this piece. Basically attached to the thigh rise). That wedge is on the RX7 but not on the RX5. Otherwise better materials and possibly better workmanship (though both are made in China). The other difference is that RX7 is available in odd inch lengths and the RX5 in even inch lengths. Some other minor differences but I felt like protection would be similar, just not quite as durable and long lasting which wasn't nearly as important to me.

Durability seems to be the biggest difference.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
Wow, I haven't checked this thread in a while. Just got back from playing a European pickup game and read up on what's going on ITT.

Aniki, you and I now have the same water bottle, IAAG t-shirt, and presumably IAAG wrist band.

Back to those crazy Europeans. The first word I heard in the locker room had more accents than letters (don't question my logic) and everyone was talking in this jibberish which I later found out to be Slovak from the friend that invited me to play.

The play style was so incredibly different from any team I have ever played for. It's really hard to describe but it was pickup hockey with playmaking as a more important aspect than the "LET'S NOT PLAY DEFENSE" mentality you can find anywhere. It was really structured play and there were at least 4 passes for every shot on net, something that is usually the other way around in regular pickup hockey. I made a few sweet saves on some pretty talented players and had a whole lot of fun having a completely different experience and playing a completely different game. Basically, I understood earlier on that I had to read plays and follow passes very well and on quite a few instances when the defense let up and I was given a breakaway to deal with, I read them like a book and stoned them numerous times.

If any of you know somewhere locally that has a bunch of foreign guys playing pickup, I highly recommend at least trying to see if there's an opening for you to play, it is a really eye opening experience how different people play the same sport.

As for a quick but true observation on the differences of pads made by the same companies: the number or amount of 'X's they use to name the equipment is inversely proportional to the number of hospital visits you will need due to hockey injuries.

Also, next weekend I'm (hopefully) going out to Wesco and looking at some new gear. I can't wait to get my hand into a custom R8 glove again, that thing is so sweet. :woop:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I have RX5's and they're the greatest pads I've ever owned.

And I'm going to be really pissed when Bauer starts loving around with Itech :(

I love this pic, I hate how blurry it is.

sba fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 11, 2009

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

sba posted:

I have RX5's and they're the greatest pads I've ever owned.

And I'm going to be really pissed when Bauer starts loving around with Itech :(

I got an email about that merge. What happened to the Nike symbol in front of Bauer making it "Nike Bauer"? Is Itech, Nike, and Bauer equipment all just going to be "Bauer" now?

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

gco posted:

I got an email about that merge. What happened to the Nike symbol in front of Bauer making it "Nike Bauer"? Is Itech, Nike, and Bauer equipment all just going to be "Bauer" now?

Yep.

Stephen Valiquette of the Rangers was wearing RX Bauers for awhile:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I went to a morning practice session and played surprisingly well. I didn't get much of a chance to work on butterfly or butterfly slides, but I focused on positioning, active hands and trying to bend with my knees and not my back. It seems like those changes helped a lot, which is a nice confidence booster.

I have to say that I am already falling in love with the Zero G blocker, very ligh and it's not interferring with my play at all, if anything the difference in weight makes me a little faster on my blocker side. As for the trapper, I need to play around with strapping a little more, I like it so far and the protection is great, but it feels like it is stiffening up a little. This is like my own doing, since I've continued the method of jamming a towel in the pocket to keep it open, which is something that I did to fix my old trapper.

I should hopefully be able to get on the ice again tonight with my friends and I'll try to work on my butterfly form, getting low on close shots, and working on butterfly sliding on cross crease plays. Though I still need to continue to build on what I worked on this morning.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you're worried about the durability of the RX5s and have the ability to, say, double your budget for pads, you might seriously want to consider these:

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/itech-goalie-legpads-gp98srd.html

I've heard nothing but good things about them. They're not top of the line but they're not entry level either. Plus they're two-seasons-ago stock so they're getting cleared out. I think Tim Thomas (poster) had a pair of these or maybe the next level up so maybe he can comment on how they work. Plus they've got a pair in 34". I think 32 might be pushing it and your knee might end up landing at the upper edge of the landing gear but that's nothing but a guess from me.

Unless you're set on the RX pad style and graphics which I personally can't stand but to each their own right :cool:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

That deal does look pretty tempting, but I think I'm leaning toward the intermediate RX7s. I should probably call around and see about joining the summer beer league first. Who am I kidding, I'll probably mash the buy button tonight.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Either way you're starting off better than I did. My first set of pads was a pair of DR 5.2s because I didn't actually ask anyone or solicit any help whatsoever so I just bought whatever looked cheap and cool.

They weren't terrible terrible, but they didn't hold up well at all, and I basically replaced them as quickly as I could. If only I'd asked someone I could have saved myself like $600 (pads + gloves)

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

That deal does look pretty tempting, but I think I'm leaning toward the intermediate RX7s. I should probably call around and see about joining the summer beer league first. Who am I kidding, I'll probably mash the buy button tonight.

You'll be happy with the RX7s. Itech had really improved their midlevel pads over the years and those should last you quite a while.

Edit: Maybe this is just an Arizona thing, but I notice that they seem to pipe lovely metal before and sometimes during pee wee hockey games. It seems kind of strange and almost remiscent of Strange Brew when the mental patients are being controlled by the organ music.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 11, 2009

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Not goalie related, but crappy music at hockey games related.

A few weeks ago I attended a youth hockey camp (I'm 26) as a "coach". It was pretty cool, I got do do all of the drills with the kids and hang with the instructors and get pointers on instruction. We also played four games, which I got to participate in as a skater.

I asked if anyone minded if I put on some music and after getting all the kids excited with the usual Metallica/Linkin Park/ACDC during an intermission I threw them a curveball while we were playing.

These kids have no appreciation for classic rock! No one could tell me who The Who, Rush or Meatloaf was. :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The rink I play at now has audio hookup in the timekeeper's box. I take my iPod out and play motherfuckin hip hop during warmups over the loudspeaker.

Not to get into a debate of music here in a goalie thread, but if Sabotage, Jump Around, or Hip Hop Hooray don't get you moving you are: in a casket six feet underground.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH CAN'T STAND IT I KNOW YOU PLANNED IT

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 11, 2009

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
We used to play hockey over by the dorms at ASU and we would always bring a boom box and blast weird music. This was all well and good until one night when we witnessed two girls freak dancing to "Tunak Tunak Tun." I really wish I could unsee that.

Though this morning I listened to Fever Ray on my way to the rink. I've tried listening to really heavy and aggressive stuff to psyche me up for a game, but I get too worked up and play out of control and blow through my energy too quickly. Now I just try to listen to listen to brooding and intense stuff like "Angel" by Massive Attack or "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins before games. The buildup helps me to mentally get ready to play without getting too worked up. Though for a while I experimented with just listening to really calm music. It is hard to say how much of an effect the music you listen to before games has, but when I had league games, it added to the atmosphere and let me treat it like I was Ray Lewis and it was game day.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Aniki posted:

We used to play hockey over by the dorms at ASU and we would always bring a boom box and blast weird music. This was all well and good until one night when we witnessed two girls freak dancing to "Tunak Tunak Tun." I really wish I could unsee that.

Though this morning I listened to Fever Ray on my way to the rink. I've tried listening to really heavy and aggressive stuff to psyche me up for a game, but I get too worked up and play out of control and blow through my energy too quickly. Now I just try to listen to listen to brooding and intense stuff like "Angel" by Massive Attack or "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins before games. The buildup helps me to mentally get ready to play without getting too worked up. Though for a while I experimented with just listening to really calm music. It is hard to say how much of an effect the music you listen to before games has, but when I had league games, it added to the atmosphere and let me treat it like I was Ray Lewis and it was game day.

The kids had no love for this song either

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

The Mandingo posted:

The kids had no love for this song either

I bet you they would have responded to the lovely nu metal cover of that song from the Miami Vice movie OST.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
I must be the oddball then, as I was driving to our most recent practice scrim (we loving destroyed that team 15-3) I was crossing the city listening to The Cardigans - Long Gone Before Daylight, the week prior was Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea. I have also been known to relax with some Norah Jones or Diana Krall before games. Every time I listen to high tempo music before I am on the rink I get tired faster as the adrenaline wears off. Starting a warm up routine I am cool as a cucumber and I find my results in game are much better, my team has about 5 goalies on it helping get me back up to speed and so far we have been pretty competitive. I tower over 3 of them and I have wider shoulders and a bigger gut then all of them, so 4 feet out of the crease all you see is goalie. No net, just goalie, this forces the teams to do passing plays which my d-men are incredibly good at breaking up. It can be a little boring facing nothing but low percentage shots but when my d falls apart I have to bring them a miracle to stop it, lately the miracles are happening with increasing frequency. :D

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Space Cadet posted:

I must be the oddball then, as I was driving to our most recent practice scrim (we loving destroyed that team 15-3) I was crossing the city listening to The Cardigans - Long Gone Before Daylight, the week prior was Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea. I have also been known to relax with some Norah Jones or Diana Krall before games. Every time I listen to high tempo music before I am on the rink I get tired faster as the adrenaline wears off. Starting a warm up routine I am cool as a cucumber and I find my results in game are much better, my team has about 5 goalies on it helping get me back up to speed and so far we have been pretty competitive. I tower over 3 of them and I have wider shoulders and a bigger gut then all of them, so 4 feet out of the crease all you see is goalie. No net, just goalie, this forces the teams to do passing plays which my d-men are incredibly good at breaking up. It can be a little boring facing nothing but low percentage shots but when my d falls apart I have to bring them a miracle to stop it, lately the miracles are happening with increasing frequency. :D

There's something to be said to listening to mellow music before games. Like I said before I figured out fast paced and aggressive music just gets me in a bad mindset, so I either listen to slow and intense stuff or music that calms me down like Bonobo.

Also, playing twice in one day takes a lot out of you. I know that's not too shocking of a statment, but my legs are shot today and I have to admit that towards the end of the second session, I was basically just working on maintaining my concentration. It was fun though and we got a chance to play some 2 on 2 and work on some drills, but I'm glad this was a special circumstance and not a normal Saturday.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

ManicJason posted:

Someone on another forum posted this:

Durability seems to be the biggest difference.

Hm, then depending on what Aniki does with his pads, and how sparsely I play, I may pick up the RX5s in the next few weeks. I only play a league or two a year, so they will still probably last me long enough. The lovely Tours (I know) I bought when I played on a cement surface like 9 years ago I'm still using, and they're still in good shape, so I think I'll be fine.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Martytoof posted:

If you're worried about the durability of the RX5s and have the ability to, say, double your budget for pads, you might seriously want to consider these:

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/itech-goalie-legpads-gp98srd.html

I've heard nothing but good things about them. They're not top of the line but they're not entry level either. Plus they're two-seasons-ago stock so they're getting cleared out. I think Tim Thomas (poster) had a pair of these or maybe the next level up so maybe he can comment on how they work. Plus they've got a pair in 34". I think 32 might be pushing it and your knee might end up landing at the upper edge of the landing gear but that's nothing but a guess from me.

Unless you're set on the RX pad style and graphics which I personally can't stand but to each their own right :cool:

if you fit the sizes on goaliemonkey and don't buy 9.8s at that price in favor of another set within $100 less, you're loving stupid

they're more pad than 99% of people on this forum need, certainly more than i do

unless you're one of those wonky people who only like lefebvre pads or only like pads where you can cut off your loving circulation with the straps and still see some modicum of rotation

(note: you will need to gently caress with them mercilessly before they feel quite right during the break-in process if you aren't used to a fairly stiff pad)

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Hm, then depending on what Aniki does with his pads, and how sparsely I play, I may pick up the RX5s in the next few weeks. I only play a league or two a year, so they will still probably last me long enough. The lovely Tours (I know) I bought when I played on a cement surface like 9 years ago I'm still using, and they're still in good shape, so I think I'll be fine.

The RX5's are a better pad than my old Itech 7.8 Vamps, so if you can afford them and feel like you'll use them enough to justify the expense, then that would be the better buy. Otherwise, once my new pads arrive, which will likely take a few more weeks, then I'll let my old pads go really cheap.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Aniki posted:

The RX5's are a better pad than my old Itech 7.8 Vamps, so if you can afford them and feel like you'll use them enough to justify the expense, then that would be the better buy. Otherwise, once my new pads arrive, which will likely take a few more weeks, then I'll let my old pads go really cheap.

Fair enough. I might do that, even though I'm probably not going to be playing again till the fall in a league. I'm in no huge rush. Those 9.8's are tempting, but I think 34 might be too small. :(

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

$400 is really pushing what I'm willing to spend on pads, even at that ridiculous price. $150 difference is actually pretty sizeable when you're talking decent pads (int. RX7) for $250. Yes, I know $400 isn't anything at all in pad world.

I feel like I am missing some important difference between intermediate and senior pads. Is the general quality that much worse?

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 13, 2009

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

ManicJason posted:

$400 is really pushing what I'm willing to spend on pads, even at that ridiculous price. $150 difference is actually pretty sizeable when you're talking decent pads (int. RX7) for $250. Yes, I know $400 isn't anything at all in pad world.

I feel like I am missing some important difference between intermediate and senior pads. Is the general quality that much worse?

How often do you see yourself playing? It comes down to how often you want to rebuy equipment. Lower end pads are typically just made with lower quality materials, I dont think you're going to get THAT much less protection out of them. I buy top grade stuff cause I play 3-4 times a week against ex NHL/D1 college guys and thats how I justify destroying my wallet. If you play 1-2 times a week with casual shinny hockey guys I really dont think you need to buy pro level stuff. I agree with TT though, if you can spend about $100 more on a set of pads that ARE top notch construction @ 1.1k less than what they were 2 years ago I would nab that in a heartbeat. If you're still in the "I'm not sure I want to play" phase maybe just use your current stuff till you know for sure you're going to stick with it.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!
Does it make me a bad person that I'm mad Brian Heaton is dead because I want to sell my battram set and get a set of BHG stuff?

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate
I'm thinking about trying to get into this fine position, but have a few questions. First of all, do any of you know what the scene is like in/around Boston? I know there's hockey to be found, but is it pretty easy to find a place where they won't give me too much of a hard time for being terrible? Also, I'm really skinny. Like stick-thin. 5'10" and 135lbs skinny. Will I just be silly out there, or does that not matter too much? Finally, just doing some virtual sizing type stuff. I have a 17" ATK, and am 5'10", what would you guys say I'd probably be looking at for leg pad sizes?

And Internet Victory, I don't think people would ever hold it against you that you wish someone weren't dead, although I have heard more noble motives :v:

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

TravBot posted:

I'm thinking about trying to get into this fine position, but have a few questions. First of all, do any of you know what the scene is like in/around Boston? I know there's hockey to be found, but is it pretty easy to find a place where they won't give me too much of a hard time for being terrible? Also, I'm really skinny. Like stick-thin. 5'10" and 135lbs skinny. Will I just be silly out there, or does that not matter too much? Finally, just doing some virtual sizing type stuff. I have a 17" ATK, and am 5'10", what would you guys say I'd probably be looking at for leg pad sizes?
massgoalies yahoo list. you'll never pay and probably play every third night if you only want to drive an hour or less and don't mind sticking to beginners' skates. if not, there's three main leagues (NESHL, Hockey Academy, and some other senior hockey league), two roller leagues, and a shitload of adult house leagues.

you probably want medium everything and 34" pads. really, you should go to sports etc. and try stuff on. it's in arlington on a bus route in arlington heights.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!
edit: whoops

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
God drat you Canada and your good exchange rate.

http://dukes1hockey.com/Pages/briansgear.html

I just ordered Zero G pads, 36+1, Gunmetal and black on a white pad, sliding toebridge, dukes mods, and name on the side. $1230 USD woooop! My 34+2 994's will be up for grabs once these come in.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

God drat you Canada and your good exchange rate.

http://dukes1hockey.com/Pages/briansgear.html

I just ordered Zero G pads, 36+1, Gunmetal and black on a white pad, sliding toebridge, dukes mods, and name on the side. $1230 USD woooop! My 34+2 994's will be up for grabs once these come in.

That's a better price than I got. You should be really happy with them and it will interesting to see whose pads arrive first.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:love: Duke's. That's where I bought my RBKs. Seriously the best place I've ever gone to buy hockey equipment.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

More excited newbie rambling:

I went to an open practice yesterday. I've decided two important things. First of all, I am going to buy pads in the next day or two. Still not exactly sure which, but I'm leaning a bit toward the 9.8s (partially because my first choice of int RX7s is only available in gross Pittsburgh/Boston colors at goaliemonkey). Now that I'm gaining some confidence, I'm noticing just how super weird the bounces off my pad saves are. I'm sure it's partly because I am reacting late to the low corners and tending to kick rebounds back in front, but the pads sure aren't helping. I have the straps set up so the pads can rotate enough to butterfly all right, but they tend to stay tilted out, even with the toe tie/skate strap extremely tight. Butterfly slides are pretty much impossible. I'm going to end up learning a lot of horrible habits the longer I stick with these pads.

My second decision is that I need to do some serious work on my cardio off the ice. I've definitely neglected it having not played sports in years and being naturally skinny as hell. After 30 minutes or so of breakaway drills, I was getting very lazy in my stance, even with several breaks to go grab some water.

Even though it was 90% breakaway drills, I felt myself getting a lot better. I still tend to think the net is about six feet farther up than it actually is on breakaways, but I'm sure that will come with time. I was pretty happy with how well I was challenging and my pace and patience backing up. Again my blocker hand got so sticky I couldn't poke check after about 40 minutes. I'm thinking it's old sticky tape residue on the glove. Hopefully I can clean a bit of that off. Doing breakaways at open practices where everyone dekes every time without being able to poke check is a bit of a handicap.

My T-pushes were 100% better once I made sure I did a lot of them to warm up. My explosiveness on them still sucks, but at least I'm not doing a retarded shuffle anymore.

ME LIKE HOCKEY

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ManicJason posted:

My second decision is that I need to do some serious work on my cardio off the ice. I've definitely neglected it having not played sports in years and being naturally skinny as hell. After 30 minutes or so of breakaway drills, I was getting very lazy in my stance, even with several breaks to go grab some water.

Dude, after 30 minutes of breakaway drills I would probably be on all fours begging players to just put me out of my misery. Not to say that endurance training isn't important, but I don't think you need to worry about getting sloppy after 30 minutes of straight breakaways :lol:

But all in all: gently caress YEAH, welcome to the cool kids club :cool:

Dragoman
Aug 21, 2008
Another goalie here--reporting for duty.

Used to play ice in my youth up in Toronto but now that I live in Virginia I've just recently been getting back into things inline style (though I've been playing with sneakers). I really want to try doing things properly on wheels but I have a few questions:

1. How important are low wheels/chassis? 47mm v. 59mm right? I tried playing on some not-for-hockey-at-all rollerblades and I found my feet just sat too high. It was brutal getting back up. Needless to say, I ditched them. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this issue and what skates I should get. Is it worth it to spring for the extra money on the Tour GX or the Bauer Supreme?

2. When I finally found some people who wanted to play some pick-up roller hockey in this area I excitedly (though stupidly?) bought the Tour Lexur series of pads, c/a, and gloves--they're not really that bad, but I'm ogling other things of course. I did just order a Hackva mask and itech rx9 pants tho. Can't wait for that stuff to get here. In the future, I would like to try Brian's DX series of stuff or some itech rx5/7--anyone have any experience there?

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Dude, after 30 minutes of breakaway drills I would probably be on all fours begging players to just put me out of my misery. Not to say that endurance training isn't important, but I don't think you need to worry about getting sloppy after 30 minutes of straight breakaways :lol:
For serious. Breakaways take a lot of energy, especially when goober players wanna practice their quadruple dekes that they've been saving up just for you.

The seasons here are starting to get into full swing, and I couldn't be happier. Playing on two teams for the summer, and I can already feel that I'm going to get in better shape because of it; I see a lot of rubber on both, but wouldn't have it any other way.

It also seems that my two weeks of vacation were exactly what I needed. Lost the game this Tuesday, but stood on my head to keep us in it. Then yesterday, we scored a victory against the top contender in the league. In those 2 games, I've had 117 shots total blasted at me, and somehow came out of the flurry with a 91% save percentage.

Thinking that I'm made of steel and not muscle and bone, I played a THIRD game in as many days this morning, and now I am super, super tired and sore. But drat, what a ride. Few days rest and then I'll do it all over again.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Dragoman posted:

Another goalie here--reporting for duty.

Used to play ice in my youth up in Toronto but now that I live in Virginia I've just recently been getting back into things inline style (though I've been playing with sneakers). I really want to try doing things properly on wheels but I have a few questions:

1. How important are low wheels/chassis? 47mm v. 59mm right? I tried playing on some not-for-hockey-at-all rollerblades and I found my feet just sat too high. It was brutal getting back up. Needless to say, I ditched them. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this issue and what skates I should get. Is it worth it to spring for the extra money on the Tour GX or the Bauer Supreme?

2. When I finally found some people who wanted to play some pick-up roller hockey in this area I excitedly (though stupidly?) bought the Tour Lexur series of pads, c/a, and gloves--they're not really that bad, but I'm ogling other things of course. I did just order a Hackva mask and itech rx9 pants tho. Can't wait for that stuff to get here. In the future, I would like to try Brian's DX series of stuff or some itech rx5/7--anyone have any experience there?

If you're on sport court:

1) Buy Tour Redline 5000 skates. They're stiffer than the Bauers, slightly cheaper, allow 59mm wheels if you're dumb enough to like that wheel size, and come with better wheels than the poo poo the Bauers come with. Then, take the existing 59mm and throw them the gently caress away or reserve them for outdoors and go spend $100 on 47mm Rink Rat Crossbars. This is my setup, at least until I rework another set of goalie skates. The Crossbars are far and away the best goalie wheel on the market, and going to 59mm reduces lifespan.

2) Itech is generally a gateway drug, UNLESS you buy their top-end stuff. I love my 9.8s and they've been through about 2 and a half years of wear on both ice and inline, with an average of 3 uses a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you guys. Instead of my usual pregame music I ripped my old Pure Moods CD and stuck it on my iPod. I played a lights out shutdown game :laffo:

I'm a pretty superstitious guy so you'd better believe I'm giving the Rap and Hip-Hop the ole heave-ho for now. I'm pretty sure it had absolutely nothing to do with the music, but whatever :cool:

• Locked thread