Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

ahmeni posted:

Swimming is a skill nobody knows they have until you fall into water for the first time and start swimming at a speed of approximately 0.

God I miss this game.

Yeah, that's the time to see how far your leftover IP can take your dark blue swimming :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
41 unread posts: :dance:

1 minute later: :smith:

Every. Single. Time.

But i guess it is time for me to re-install this and try to play an Agent or a Doctor again.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

TheQuietWilds posted:

I wish someone else would make a game with 'twinking' the way AO had, because that was the only fun thing about this game. Everything now is terrible.

I would play WoW if it had AO's implant and OE system.

Nothin' better than running around frantically trying to get buffs from high level assholes in Borealis before your comp mastery wore off :)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Fewd posted:

Yeah, that's the time to see how far your leftover IP can take your dark blue swimming :3:

That's when you bust out your hydro vehicle... :frogc00l:

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I miss this game, might need to subscribe again and train sand worms to the temple if three winds. It'll be interesting to see all the changes too, they didn't have as much crazy shot in the cash shop last I played, but honestly being able to pay a few bucks to not grind tokens for a thousand hours would be worth it. Don't think they had dailies when I played though, so maybe those made it better.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
The sheer mountain of skill trees that AO had was half the fun. :colbert:

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I liked the fact that the professions weren't balanced like modern MMOs tend to be, it added flavor and was enjoyable to me. I'd reinstall and play my doctor or fixer or something but I forgot all of my usernames and passwords :(

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

blackmanjew posted:

I would play WoW if it had AO's implant and OE system.

Nothin' better than running around frantically trying to get buffs from high level assholes in Borealis before your comp mastery wore off :)

Someone in the Path of Exile thread said something really insightful. When the basic gameplay is simple and repetitive (like virtually every MMO), you have to have deep, rich, and *gasp* complex systems behind it to make the game fun. I think AO hit this balance perfectly.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Heads up, servers were merged outta the blue yesterday.

No more Atlantean and Rimor, just one Rubi-ka. Hopefully this'll help the population issues.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

tentacles posted:

Heads up, servers were merged outta the blue yesterday.

No more Atlantean and Rimor, just one Rubi-ka. Hopefully this'll help the population issues.

:siren:

...wait. How did they fix the names?

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Funcom posted:

Here is the algorithm we used to resolve naming collisions. It walks through each Check in order, and then either determines a "winner" (the guy who keeps the name), or it determines to move on to the next Check in the sequence if the winner cannot be determined on that check.

Check 0: Dead Accounts
Create 3 buckets
Most recent login for any character on the account is before 2003
Most recent login for any character on the account is between 2003-2008
Most recent login for any character on the account is after 2008
When comparing two characters, if they are in the same bucket move to Check 1. Otherwise, the player in the higher bracket keeps the name. Note this check is concerned with account activity, and not specifically the activity of the character in question.

Check 1: Character Age
Create 3 buckets
Age < 1 month
Age between 1 and 6 months
Age > 6 months
When comparing two characters, if the are in the same bracket OR if two characters are within 2 weeks of each other, move to Check 2. Otherwise, the player in the higher bracket keeps the name.

Check 2: Character /Played
Create 5 buckets
/Played < 48 hours
/Played between 48 and 168 hours
/Played between 168 and 984 hours
/Played >984 hours
Not played any character on their account for more than 1 year ago
Has played at least 1 character on their account in the last year
When comparing two characters, if they are in the same bracket OR if two characters are within 24 hours /played each other, move to Check 3. Otherwise, the player in the higher bracket keeps the name.

Check 3: Subscription Status
If the two characters are both on subscribed accounts, move to Check 4. If neither characters are on subscribed accounts, move to Check 5. If they have different subscription status, the one who is the subscriber keeps the name.

Check 4: Subscription Active
If both subscriptions are active, move to Check 5. If they have different values for active/inactive subscription, the one who is the active subscriber keeps the name.

Check 5: Was Born First
If the algorithm reaches this check, tie-breakers are resolved by who was born first.

A couple of notes:
Levels are not included because we don't want to penalize characters for being a mid-level twink. AO is a game where you can invest just as much time, effort, and passion into a non-220 as a 220.
No preference is given for dimension source. This includes D3 (German Servers).
A Froob will only lose to a Subscriber if they have previously tied on /Played and Character Age
Most collisions got resolved on Check 2 and before. I'm not aware of a single collision that actually hit Check 5.

This is why I always name my characters Humperdinckelschmidt.

Time to spend three months redoing my GUI and backpacks...

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

That's pretty cool, can you post another heads-up after they merge sub fees with reality, tia

February
Jan 27, 2006
WE DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL
Server merge seems interesting, I'm gonna come back for a bit.

February fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 28, 2013

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I don't know why they just don't make it f2p with a cash shop instead of a laughable 15 bucks a month with the added convenience of paying 30 for a 1k token pack or whatever.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I think they will do that with the conversion to the new engine, especially if they're going to get the game up on Steam at the same time.

I could hear the zone music in my head watching this. . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej2_VvvGTRQ&hd=1

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Is it not still F2P?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Valatar posted:

Is it not still F2P?

Nope. :iiam:

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I'm pretty sure you can play for free, but you can't switch between free and paid. Once you've paid, you have to stay that way or you can't access your stuff.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Kenlon posted:

I think they will do that with the conversion to the new engine
As in never at all. I've been reading about the new engine since the development of AoC.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

novaSphere posted:

I'm pretty sure you can play for free, but you can't switch between free and paid. Once you've paid, you have to stay that way or you can't access your stuff.

The free part only consists on the classic AO without any expansions. Good for short nostalgy trips but not for much else.

deftest
May 7, 2011
I'd be willing to bet that for the amount of money people pay to their cash shop/monthly subscription (in addition to fools like us that would surely hop on) you could set up a kickstarter for an actual AO 2.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Fewd posted:

The free part only consists on the classic AO without any expansions. Good for short nostalgy trips but not for much else.

Well hey it's still free :colbert:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

deftest posted:

I'd be willing to bet that for the amount of money people pay to their cash shop/monthly subscription (in addition to fools like us that would surely hop on) you could set up a kickstarter for an actual AO 2.

We need AO2 kickstarter by Gaute Godager!

He'd hype the poo poo out of everyone and then after a few years dump a bugridden mess on us and run. :confuoot:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
So are there still people playing this? I've got some guys in the 25-150 level range and a bil or so to spend but is there anything to do? Did the merge help the population?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

killstealing posted:

So are there still people playing this? I've got some guys in the 25-150 level range and a bil or so to spend but is there anything to do? Did the merge help the population?

Well I saw this thread: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=604213

Seems to be doing a bit better. The neutnet stats also imply it's not a total graveyard.

Which... isn't really saying much but there you have it.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Online: 254

:negative:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Your Computerliteracy skill needs to be higher than 80
Your Computerliteracy skill needs to be higher than 80
Changing area. Please wait.

Posted in the thread, this made me laugh. Goddamn grid traveling on a fresh character.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Twink to be able to get to the place where you twink more :smugdog:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Revener posted:

Online: 254

:negative:

wrap it up rubikailures :(

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I'm in for a go. I downloaded yesterday, and will be on a bit later tonight, and probably this weekend. I had time this morning to make an engineer, log into the newbie zone, and realize I have to read the manual. I'll be alt-tabbing between screens to learn some of the basics tonight. Character's name is VacantDan, feel free to say hello. If I'm slow to respond, it's because I haven't used a chat window or played an mmog in 3 years or so.

I played a few months during the first year the game was out. Always thought it had a lot of potential, but was buggy, and friends from other mmogs never tried it out. Should be fun for touring around for a while if nothing else.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Manual? I don't need no drat manual. So to get this mortiig beater on my enforcer I first need to create CL implants for buffs requiring Agility/Sta/Str, time to use auno.org. Oh wait, I have bags full of implants... from before I knew you could name bags. One hour later I finally have them and am laddering now. What were they called again? SFA, IC, Behe, FG and the +12 boosts...

15/month/account is still too much, I could buff myself up but I'm not paying FC another fifteen.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

ahmeni posted:

wrap it up rubikailures :(

Well, the neutnets defense, it was wiped clean on the merge so that only shows people who have registered to it since then. Also, we don't know what time the data is from.

Not that your statement is any less correct.

wrap it up rubikailures

Zav
Mar 12, 2013
I played this from 2001-2004. Nothing beats the game when it was first launched (if you can ignore bugs). There was endless griefing. OP stuff. You could twink toons ridiculously because in the first month or two the treatment center was bugged where you could get treatment from just stacking people. The tutoring devices were bugged where you could put on 6x belts at lvl 1.

After the expansions it went down hill. I gave my crap away to a friend when they offered a free month last year.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

:(

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I'd like to take this opportunity to

killstealing posted:

It's dead Jim.

:smug:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Fifty people used to twink here, now it's a ghost town.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

The lack of people I can forgive, AO is dead, but logging into West Athens and not Blue Rome? :colbert:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Revener posted:

The lack of people I can forgive, AO is dead, but logging into West Athens and not Blue Rome? :colbert:

Clan forever, Omni-Tek is scum. We get NR on our carb and a sweeter ToTW teleport, deal with it. :smug:

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
I always said that they should of done an AO2 rather than spend countless cash on the now dead Conan and soon to be dead TSW. They had a gem with this game that just needed a thorough update to modern in terms of UI, graphics, poo poo, even make it like a true FPS/RPG shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

If they ever want a big playerbase again, they'd need to fix the mission system to be more likely to provide rewards you can use. The game is fun, but what isn't fun is sitting at a mission terminal with that third party program that automates your mouse clicks and rejects missions until you get something relevant.

I could see how that wouldn't be so bad with a big population, but the game doesn't exactly have that anymore.

• Locked thread