Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RheaConfused posted:

:(

Did they send you home with some pain medicine for him?

If you can get him through to Monday a non-emergency vet should charge less. Try calling around and try to find a cat only vet. I'm sure you know, but keep a super close eye on him. He's probably in a lot of pain.

Edit for some truthiness: If you can't afford the surgery somewhere Monday, please reconsider putting him down, the pain is terrible for kitties with this problem. :ohdear: Perhaps you can apply for care credit (carecredit.com), it's a credit card accepted at many many vets.

Yeah he's got some pain meds and some antibiotics because the vet said she saw a bit of bacteria in his urine too, so he's probably working on an infection too. The initial estimate was for ~$1,900 on the high end, with a deposit of 75%(we were approved through carecredit up to $3,000, so that's good news.) This was before they gave up on trying to get a catheter in, at which point they mentioned surgery and we got the higher estimate. We do care about him, but we just aren't in a situation to spare $5,000 on him, so I was prepared to have him euthanised. I'm unemployed though so this is all going onto my dad's expenses, and he wants to try to keep him in good condition until Monday morning(mostly for my sister's sake I think.) Right now though he's acting more like his usual self, they emptied his bladder right before we left so that alleviated a bit of the pain. Though if it looks like he's not going to make it to Monday morning I'm going to bring up putting him down again for his own sake. :(

e: apologies if this is a bit jumbled, i haven't had a chance to eat yet today.
e2: I'm actually having to calm him down and make sure he doesn't get too wild and strain something. He's all loopy from the painkiller they gave him. :catdrugs:
e3: The pain suppressant/anti-inflamatory they gave us for him is Metacam, googling that says the oral version of it isn't approved for cats but is often prescribed off-label for them. I also get links like "Metacamkillscats.com" and "metacam horror stories." Is this safe to give him? Oh god what do I do. :ohdear:

bango skank fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guarded by bees
Apr 26, 2010
Is there any way the vet would agree to a payment plan for the surgery? Ours does that, I never asked a vet about it until I went through 24 hours of my cat going through hell to try to defeat aspiratory pneumonia and was given a $3,000 estimate. He didn't make it, but now I know to ask about payment plans with a deposit if I ever end up in a position like that again.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Metacam is safe to give, and is commonly prescribed in this situation. Don't freak yourself out on the internet. As long as you use the metacam as directed everything will be fine. As Directed! Kitties have terrible livers and kidneys, and if you overdose them they can't break it down. It's comparable to how the bottle of Aleve says "drink with a full glass of water." How do you have it? Drops is how it's normally dispensed. Just test the dropper in your palm first to get an idea of how hard you need to squeeze to get one drop. If you don't give it he'll be in pain or he'll block faster. It's a scary drug, but like I said, only if overdosed.

edit: Oh and remember, the surgery will most likely cost less at a normal clinic! Where do you live? Perhaps one of us knows a place.

RheaConfused fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 16, 2010

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Panthrax posted:

I've got a carpet/sisal rope post, and a sisal mat. He used to use the mat all the time up until a couple days ago. And he hates getting the soft paws on. I spent probably 2 hours one night trying to pin him down, only to get 3 on. They've since fallen off.

You should really try one of those cardboard scratchers. They seem retarded but I've never met a cat that didn't love them.

bango please keep us updated on your kitty (that looks a lot like my kitties) :ohdear:

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RheaConfused posted:

Metacam is safe to give, and is commonly prescribed in this situation. Don't freak yourself out on the internet. As long as you use the metacam as directed everything will be fine. As Directed! Kitties have terrible livers and kidneys, and if you overdose them they can't break it down. It's comparable to how the bottle of Aleve says "drink with a full glass of water." How do you have it? Drops is how it's normally dispensed. Just test the dropper in your palm first to get an idea of how hard you need to squeeze to get one drop. If you don't give it he'll be in pain or he'll block faster. It's a scary drug, but like I said, only if overdosed.

edit: Oh and remember, the surgery will most likely cost less at a normal clinic! Where do you live? Perhaps one of us knows a place.

It's in a dropper, but there's a syringe-style dosing thing that comes with it. It's got dosing measured by the pound of the animal on it and plugs onto the top of the dropper.

I'm in Southern California, Redondo Beach/Torrance area.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
Did they give you specific dose instructions beyond following the instructions on the bottle? If not I would definitely talk to them and get specifics.

edit: meaning the instructions that came with the bottle.

RheaConfused fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 16, 2010

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RheaConfused posted:

Did they give you specific dose instructions beyond following the instructions on the bottle? If not I would definitely talk to them and get specifics.

edit: meaning the instructions that came with the bottle.

Yeah there's a separate prescription label on the box for it that says to give him the 10 pound dose every 24 hours. I let him nap for a few hours and then woke him up and he took it without any fuss, so I'll be doing that again tonight before bed probably. Just got back from his second bladder draining too, he's taking it alot better than I was expecting. :)

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
So, some of you may remember me finding a gorgeous tuxedo stray about 10 months ago. He's a very happy cat now - still demanding to be an outside cat in the afternoons, but slowly becoming tolerant of spending most of his time indoors, eating well, very healthy, bright eyed, and playful.

The only problem is that he tends to lose his collars to fights (which, oddly, only seem to happen when he has one, bell or no bell.) and I'm not sure if he was microchipped. He most likely was - he was already desexed when we found him and did the paper collar bollocks, probably already had his jabs as well. Now this worries me - if he's injured and we don't find him before whoever does (say he gets hit by a car by someone decent enough to actually take him to a vet) he goes back to the folks who, near as we can tell, abused him and then abandoned him at ~6-8 months of age.

Does anyone know how you go about getting the registry information of a microchip changed? This is NSW, Australia, but general info would help too since I'm operating blind here. I do have proof of care - he's been to the vet three times since we got him (got his collar caught in his mouth in a fight and a tiny little sharp corner cut it up, a general examination, and then a barely formed abscess at the base of his tail), so hopefully that'd be sufficient proof.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Loomer posted:

So, some of you may remember me finding a gorgeous tuxedo stray about 10 months ago. He's a very happy cat now - still demanding to be an outside cat in the afternoons, but slowly becoming tolerant of spending most of his time indoors, eating well, very healthy, bright eyed, and playful.

The only problem is that he tends to lose his collars to fights (which, oddly, only seem to happen when he has one, bell or no bell.) and I'm not sure if he was microchipped. He most likely was - he was already desexed when we found him and did the paper collar bollocks, probably already had his jabs as well. Now this worries me - if he's injured and we don't find him before whoever does (say he gets hit by a car by someone decent enough to actually take him to a vet) he goes back to the folks who, near as we can tell, abused him and then abandoned him at ~6-8 months of age.

Does anyone know how you go about getting the registry information of a microchip changed? This is NSW, Australia, but general info would help too since I'm operating blind here. I do have proof of care - he's been to the vet three times since we got him (got his collar caught in his mouth in a fight and a tiny little sharp corner cut it up, a general examination, and then a barely formed abscess at the base of his tail), so hopefully that'd be sufficient proof.

The first step is going to the vet and scanning him. If he's got a chip, you'll have to contact the company that made it. I have no idea what you might have to offer as proof as far as ownership goes, or if they'll try to contact the old owners. It probably depends on the company and Australian law. I'm sure your vet can help you out on the details.

Parsnip
Jun 24, 2004
you chose...poorly

Crooked Booty posted:

The vet is the first step, for sure. It definitely sounds like he could be peeing due to stress, but first you need to rule out infections/crystals/etc. If it's stress, there are various kinds of kitty prozac that really help some cats.

It may not be that he's being chased out of the box, or that he's marking his territory. With some cats, if they're stressed, it can have an actual physiological effect on their bladder, which is uncomfortable, so they pee. It's a lot like interstitial cystitis in people -- in fact, some varieties of "kitty prozac" are used in people with intersitial cystitis.

You may also want to try Cat Attract litter. For three cats, you should ideally have at least 4 litter boxes. Until you get him to the vet, I would try keeping the door to your sister's room shut.

I took him to the vet and had a urinalysis done. At the exam itself the doctor said his heart and lungs were good, teeth were still fabulous, and overall in good shape. :) She called with the results of the test on Friday (though no one told me about the message until today) and everything came out clear, no crystals, infections, or anything else. So her diagnosis is behavioral.

We have 5 boxes in the home (forgot to mention that earlier), but even as recent as yesterday he decided to pee on a blanket on the couch (sister's door is shut all the time now). So...besides Cat Attract litter as the next step, now what? Should I be calling and asking for Prozac?

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Parsnip posted:

I took him to the vet and had a urinalysis done. At the exam itself the doctor said his heart and lungs were good, teeth were still fabulous, and overall in good shape. :) She called with the results of the test on Friday (though no one told me about the message until today) and everything came out clear, no crystals, infections, or anything else. So her diagnosis is behavioral.

We have 5 boxes in the home (forgot to mention that earlier), but even as recent as yesterday he decided to pee on a blanket on the couch (sister's door is shut all the time now). So...besides Cat Attract litter as the next step, now what? Should I be calling and asking for Prozac?

You could try a Feliway plug in (check amazon). It might help in a multiple cat situation like yours.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Has anyone tried this Emery Cat thing? It looks intriguing because I'm lazy and it's not much more expensive than a normal cardboard scratcher.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Has anyone tried this Emery Cat thing? It looks intriguing because I'm lazy and it's not much more expensive than a normal cardboard scratcher.

I have one, and it hasn't had much of an effect on their claws. Still though, they scratch it and it was cheap, so no regrets.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Eggplant Wizard posted:

My mom bought this thing (or maybe a ripoff but I'm pretty sure she got the real thing) and she was complaining that it pretty much doesn't do anything. Well, except be a scratcher.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
Is it just a regular cardboard scratcher?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

ChairmanMeow posted:

Is it just a regular cardboard scratcher?

No, it's got some kind of sandpapery surface beneath a "honeycomb" patterned metal or something. Honestly, if they used it like a cardboard scratched but I didn't have to replace it or clean up cardboard shavings, it'd still be worth it even if their claws stayed long!

I don't wanna waste the money if cats don't like it though, which seems to be the google consensus.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I have a slight issue which must be corrected, and I am not sure how to go about it.

My new apartment has those idiotic lever handles where any time you pull on one, it will automatically unlock the door as well. One of my two cats has figured these out. He lets himself out onto the balcony, goes in and out of the bathroom as he pleases, comes into my room at night to bug me, and recently was waiting for me at the entrance to my apartment complex when I came home from work last week. He had not only let himself out of the apartment, but then let himself into the stairwell, gone down the stairs, and was waiting at the front door for me to come home.

Given they were scared to death of hallways at my old apartment complex, I can only assume this means he's been letting himself out of the apartment for months now and has gotten used to it, and it explains why I've seemingly been forgetting to lock the door so often... I haven't been forgetting, he's being an rear end in a top hat and going exploring.

I have already inquired after getting everything changed to doorknobs instead of levers. The management company refused. Got any magical suggestions to prevent at least the ones involving the balcony and the hallways? Baby-proof Clips are one idea, but that still doesn't take care of my apartment being constantly unlocked thanks to him.

RavenM
Mar 20, 2002

Sundae posted:

escaping kitty

You could get bolt locks installed on the doors that leave your apartment, or something like a chain lock for the back. Would your apartment management be cool with that? You could probably purchase those locks and have maintenance install them for you if there's something for that in your lease agreement (i.e. improvements you want to make). Good luck!

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.
I have a fat spoiled cat that's about 5 years old. He's a very nervous cat and is scared of most everything, including the outdoors. The problem is that in 2 weeks I am moving into a new apartment, and not only that, but I am also moving in with my friend who has two dogs. Fortunately, I will be living in the apartment for about a week before my roommate moves in, so this will allow my cat to become moderately accustomed to his new home. However, I am unsure of what to do once the dogs arrive.

I plan to follow the OP and introduce them as if the dogs were just other cats, and I certainly won't leave them together unsupervised until I am completely comfortable that my cat is safe (one of the dogs is rather large and could probably swallow my cat whole if he wanted to). Is there anything more specific I can do to keep my cat as calm as possible? I'm definitely getting a Feliway diffuser, but are there any other tricks I could use to help my buddy out?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

The Robins Taley posted:

Is there anything more specific I can do to keep my cat as calm as possible? I'm definitely getting a Feliway diffuser, but are there any other tricks I could use to help my buddy out?

Give him a safe room and lots of vertical space to escape from the dogs - baby gates and cat trees. You'll probably want the litter box to be in a cat-only room anyway to keep the dogs from eating it.

You may never get to a point where you'll leave the cat with the dogs unsupervised, it's safer all around to keep them apart.

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.

Engineer Lenk posted:

Give him a safe room and lots of vertical space to escape from the dogs - baby gates and cat trees. You'll probably want the litter box to be in a cat-only room anyway to keep the dogs from eating it.

You may never get to a point where you'll leave the cat with the dogs unsupervised, it's safer all around to keep them apart.

Ugh, Christ. I hadn't even thought of that.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions! The cat tree is a fantastic idea that I hadn't even considered, and a baby gate would be perfect for separating the the dogs from my cat without completely eliminating his movement and confining him to one room.

If the dogs make my cat too nervous or continue to act aggressively after an appropriate amount of introductory time, I already have alternate arrangements for him to stay with a relative nearby until I'm in an apartment alone next year.

ChrispyPolanks
Jan 25, 2009
This is a great post for new cat ownser even for people who already have cats. I just recently got a kittne 2 days ago and its great. I got it from a friend that couldn't keep her no more. She's 1 1/2 months old and is pretty healty and playful to what I can see. I still need to make a vet visit to see how she is really. I plan on making her a indoors cat because there too many outside cats running loose outside.

My question is my kitten has an eye problem I think. I can see her third eye lid and I'm not sure what to do is this normal? It goes away on her left eye but the right remains the same. When I get home ill try to take a picture so you can see. What do I do!!! I feel bad

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

ChrispyPolanks posted:

This is a great post for new cat ownser even for people who already have cats. I just recently got a kittne 2 days ago and its great. I got it from a friend that couldn't keep her no more. She's 1 1/2 months old and is pretty healty and playful to what I can see. I still need to make a vet visit to see how she is really. I plan on making her a indoors cat because there too many outside cats running loose outside.

My question is my kitten has an eye problem I think. I can see her third eye lid and I'm not sure what to do is this normal? It goes away on her left eye but the right remains the same. When I get home ill try to take a picture so you can see. What do I do!!! I feel bad

The eye problem be a lot of things, possibly an upper respiratory infection. Since you're taking her to the vet soon anyway, just make an appointment ASAP and get it checked out before it gets serious.

Do you have any other cats or pets? If not then it might be a good idea to look into getting your kitten a kitten friend about her age. She's going to drive you nuts if she doesn't have anyone to play with but you. It's not that much more work or expense since you'll be doing the same care-type tasks with one cat that you'll be doing with two. If you really can't handle it then that's fine but it's a much better situation for everyone than just a single kitten.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Did your friend have her mother, or did she have the kitten on her own? Six weeks is pretty young.

ChrispyPolanks
Jan 25, 2009
Yeah my friend had the kitten alone he his self told me that it was too young. I hope its nothing too sever she seems to be running around fine and eating fine. I would love to get her another kitten to play with but it was hard enough getting that one into my house. my father hates cats. Wonder how I can fit another one in the picture

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

ChrispyPolanks posted:

Yeah my friend had the kitten alone he his self told me that it was too young. I hope its nothing too sever she seems to be running around fine and eating fine. I would love to get her another kitten to play with but it was hard enough getting that one into my house. my father hates cats. Wonder how I can fit another one in the picture

Cats are masters at hiding illness. If you can see ANY sort of symptom then something's going on and it's probably pretty far along.

You can always tell your father that having two kittens would keep them from getting as bored and tearing everything up as much . . . but if you can't then you can't, you'll just have to make sure you play with her a lot and you'll have to do your best to keep her out of trouble.

ChrispyPolanks
Jan 25, 2009
Thanks for the replies. i guess i'm moving out my house because my parents are upset and don't want her here. Like that i can have two cats now. its ridicules the kitten doesn't bother no one in this house. things people do for what they want.

back to the kitten. i have noticed its been sneezing a lot lately. I'm defiantly going to have to week an appointment this week.

Cripple Physics
May 22, 2010

by mons all madden
For the love of God someone please help me. I just got two black adorable kittens on Sunday. They are brothers and they are about 12 weeks. They will not stop meowing as loudly as they possibly can all night. I have tried to use a laser pointer to exercise them so they will actually sleep but no dice. They will not stop meowing, what can I do.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
How old are they and what kind of breed do they resemble? Any siamese in them?

Cripple Physics
May 22, 2010

by mons all madden

flyboi posted:

How old are they and what kind of breed do they resemble? Any siamese in them?

The lady said the mom was a tuxedo cat, I have no idea about the dad. But yeah they are very vocal, maybe its because they are still getting used to my place or something.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
When do you feed them?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Edit: I can't read.

Anyways at 12 weeks they're still kittens. They will meow lots. Kittens are assholes. It is usually suggested to just get an older cat especially your first rodeo because kittens are very annoying and will test your patience.

Cripple Physics
May 22, 2010

by mons all madden

Abbeh posted:

When do you feed them?

Whenever the bowl is low I put more food in there.

Cripple Physics
May 22, 2010

by mons all madden

flyboi posted:

Edit: I can't read.

Anyways at 12 weeks they're still kittens. They will meow lots. Kittens are assholes. It is usually suggested to just get an older cat especially your first rodeo because kittens are very annoying and will test your patience.

I grew up with cats, and its ok if they wake me up because I'm about to be on summer break from school so my sleeping hours can be irregular. I am just more worried about my fiance and her work schedule that's why I get up and take care of them.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
It won't kill them if you put them in a bathroom at night with food, water, toys & litter. Just sayin'. Don't teach them that meowing = attention because jesus gently caress you do not want to go down that road. I'm not saying ignore them-- take care of their needs-- but if they're just meowing because IT'S FOUR AM LET'S PLAY I WANNA PLAY WHOOOOOOO then that's not what you want to reinforce.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I think you're just going to wait this one out. Put them together in a different room if that's feasible, just to drown out the noise. Make sure they have everything they need before you go to bed (full bowl of food, water, clean litter) and don't get up with them during normal sleeping hours.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

ChrispyPolanks posted:

Thanks for the replies. i guess i'm moving out my house because my parents are upset and don't want her here. Like that i can have two cats now. its ridicules the kitten doesn't bother no one in this house. things people do for what they want.

back to the kitten. i have noticed its been sneezing a lot lately. I'm defiantly going to have to week an appointment this week.

Yeah, please get her to the vet, sounds like it might be a respiratory infection. I'm sure they can give her a good look-over once she's there and catch anything else that might be going on.

That sucks about having to move out . . . once you get settled down in the new place you should totally get one more kitten. At least one good thing came out of it I guess.

Cripple Physics
May 22, 2010

by mons all madden

Engineer Lenk posted:

I think you're just going to wait this one out. Put them together in a different room if that's feasible, just to drown out the noise. Make sure they have everything they need before you go to bed (full bowl of food, water, clean litter) and don't get up with them during normal sleeping hours.

Well, we live in a one bedroom, so they have to kinda be in the same room. I am not going to get up during the nighttime anymore other than to say "hush". It just broke my heart the first night because I was pretty sure they were missing their Mama.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Cripple Physics posted:

Well, we live in a one bedroom, so they have to kinda be in the same room. I am not going to get up during the nighttime anymore other than to say "hush". It just broke my heart the first night because I was pretty sure they were missing their Mama.

Any attention is good attention, so no 'hush' either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Cripple Physics posted:

Even with adult cats, the first night is the worst night. Just be tough and power through it.