Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Logitech's software definitely lets you assign the horizontal scrolling as middle clicks.

I'm also pretty sure that most Razer mice don't have horizontal scrolling at all. Google "Razer [modelname] horizontal scrolling" and you'll find the answer within the first page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
What the gently caress is wrong with logitech and cables?

My MX518 started cutting out, eventually got to the point where so much as touching the cable near where it entered the mouse in the slightest would make it lose power. Eventually it just completely died.
Replacement, same poo poo after some time.
Got a G400... and it's completely dead now so now yet another replacement is on the way. :downs:

Apparently it was pretty well known on the 518 but I hoped for better with the G400. Never snagged / yanked the cord, never banged, dropped, or anything like that. One of the reasons I opted for the G400 was because they supposedly reinforced where the cable enters the mouse... so much for that.

slovach fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 10, 2011

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Please PM me with your case number so I can have our Support people get that unit back from you for examination.

Also, did you do anything like put something on top of the cable to stop it from moving, or put it in a cable bungee or anything like that? Or was it just on your desk the entire time? Did you wrap the cable around the mouse to move it from one place to another or store it?

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Goo posted:

Please PM me with your case number so I can have our Support people get that unit back from you for examination.

Also, did you do anything like put something on top of the cable to stop it from moving, or put it in a cable bungee or anything like that? Or was it just on your desk the entire time? Did you wrap the cable around the mouse to move it from one place to another or store it?

Cord basically had free reign of the desk, nothing ever on it to hold it, never wrapped up, once I got the mouse that's where stayed from start to finish. It wasn't drooping or anything, had plenty of slack, went behind the monitor, to the computer.

Also I don't have platinum so I can't PM :( but you can have this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cWMK0O2sFo

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Thanks - I will show my engineering team.

Were you playing low DPI/fast hand speed? When you lift the mouse do you tilt it forward and lift the back end or do you lift it straight up?

Also - none of these questions are going to be used to point the blame back at you for misuse or anything. I'm trying to figure out how it is we're still seeing this type of failure even after specifically working to address the issue with the redesign.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Goo posted:

Thanks - I will show my engineering team.

Were you playing low DPI/fast hand speed? When you lift the mouse do you tilt it forward and lift the back end or do you lift it straight up?

Also - none of these questions are going to be used to point the blame back at you for misuse or anything. I'm trying to figure out how it is we're still seeing this type of failure even after specifically working to address the issue with the redesign.

I use a really low sensitivity at the lowest DPI, no acceleration, you can see how big my mousepad is in that pic (nearly 18 inches I think?). I generally try to keep my sensitivity roughly the same in games, which is about 270 degree rotation across the entire pad.

So yeah, it's more arm movement than just wrist. I like smooth, precise movement, but being as low as it is does mean that sometimes the mouse gets whipped around a bit, but there was always a bunch of cord slack so it never pulled or anything and I never felt like I was being rough with it. When I lift it, it's probably more straight up / pulling the front up if anything, but it's just barely off the pad if even.

edit:
This is a pretty good representation of what it looks like to play like that, especially since it's the guy I got the idea from to try it that low
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwWqKHWhHMQ

slovach fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 11, 2011

chaseha
Aug 29, 2011
I bought a used g500 off of Amazon. Love it so far, except for one thing. Vertical scrolling on websites and stuff... if I scroll loosely, a lot of the times it will scroll right back. If i keep my finger on the scroll wheel after I scroll and scroll more deliberately, it usually doesn't do this. Is this normal in the g500 or should try and return this bad boy?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

chaseha posted:

I bought a used g500 off of Amazon. Love it so far, except for one thing. Vertical scrolling on websites and stuff... if I scroll loosely, a lot of the times it will scroll right back. If i keep my finger on the scroll wheel after I scroll and scroll more deliberately, it usually doesn't do this. Is this normal in the g500 or should try and return this bad boy?

Are you using the free spinning mode, or the clicky mode? If you're free spinning the wheel, that's normal, if you're using the clicky that's bad.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

The wheel is the worst part about the G500. Pick it up and shake it back and forth... it rattles. Really annoying. I like it otherwise.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The G5 has the exact same rattle. But since I never pick my mouse up and shake it, it doesn't really bother me.

chaseha
Aug 29, 2011
So that's what that button does... durr hurr

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

The G5 has the exact same rattle. But since I never pick my mouse up and shake it, it doesn't really bother me.

True, but if you play games with a low enough sensitivity you'll be moving it back and forth fast enough to induce the rattling.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Trisk posted:

True, but if you play games with a low enough sensitivity you'll be moving it back and forth fast enough to induce the rattling.

When you play games you normally can/wanna put the wheel on clicky mode, which doesn't rattle.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

When you play games you normally can/wanna put the wheel on clicky mode, which doesn't rattle.

Mine rattles on both modes. :(

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

slovach posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with logitech and cables?

My MX518 started cutting out, eventually got to the point where so much as touching the cable near where it entered the mouse in the slightest would make it lose power. Eventually it just completely died.
Replacement, same poo poo after some time.
Got a G400... and it's completely dead now so now yet another replacement is on the way. :downs:

Apparently it was pretty well known on the 518 but I hoped for better with the G400. Never snagged / yanked the cord, never banged, dropped, or anything like that. One of the reasons I opted for the G400 was because they supposedly reinforced where the cable enters the mouse... so much for that.

It's not just Logitech - my Razer had done this twice in the past, but playing TF2 right now, it cut out 3 times in the span of about 10 minutes, and it's not completely dead. Using the wireless mouse from my laptop now and order a replacement.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
Still waiting on my replacement mouse :mad:

Hopefully it will come next week... my last contact with them was on the 1st. Guess I'll be calling if it doesn't come Monday.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Arcsech posted:

Are you using the free spinning mode, or the clicky mode? If you're free spinning the wheel, that's normal, if you're using the clicky that's bad.

I can't use the wheel in my mx revolution at all for things that want a distinct single up or down event, like changing inventory in a game. The click just seems to add tactile feedback to free spin, and it sometimes even scrolls back against me moving it. . Is mine defective? Do newer Logitech mice still do this?

IoT
Dec 21, 2006

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius
Anyone used the Logitech G700? I'm looking for a new gaming mouse and think I would prefer a wireless one. Super precision is not important but extra buttons and ergonomics are. Am I right in thinking that if also were to buy a wireless Logitech keyboard at a later date it could share the same wireless receiver?

PS I tend to use mice with a claw grip.

Excursus
Sep 11, 2004

Mysterious vagina tentacles will devour my penis
Kinda like DEUCE SLUICE, I've just about given up with my MX Revolution because of the unusable scroll wheel click. Ever since they introduced the free spinning mode, middle-click just feels hopelessly muddy and unreliable. For 2 years now, tabbed browsing has been a pain for just that reason.

Are there any wireless mice of a similar size to the Revolution that have a good, precise middle click like with the old mice? I don't use Setpoint or care about additional buttons or gaming profiles etc - I just want a really great mouse for general use.

Help :(

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The bummer is that, aside from the vagueness of the scroll wheel and some degradation of the left-click switch, the MX Revolution is still my dream mouse. The jog wheel on the thumb is just incredible. If I could get one with a meaty, clicky, normal scroll wheel I'd buy ten.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Hey I'm trying to decide between the G500, g9x, and the Roccat Kone. I'd like to hear some opinions because they are all near the same price range and I can't really test them out. I have tried one of the MX Revolutions mentioned before and it felt awesome. Why the hell don't other mice have dual scroll wheels? That is a cool feature. Anyway..., suggestions?

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Hey I'm trying to decide between the G500, g9x, and the Roccat Kone. I'd like to hear some opinions because they are all near the same price range and I can't really test them out. I have tried one of the MX Revolutions mentioned before and it felt awesome. Why the hell don't other mice have dual scroll wheels? That is a cool feature. Anyway..., suggestions?

I went from a MX Revolution to a G500 and am happy with it. I loved the MX but the battery life kept shrinking and playing a game would just about kill it in a day, so I went for a wired mouse. The G500 has one fewer buttons and doesn't have the thumb wheel or the auto-switching scroll which I miss, but overall it feels close enough that I wasn't fumbling with a new mouse for a month like I usually do when trying to adjust to a new model of mouse. The G500 comes with a weight cartridge and a little tin full of weights. There's 6 1.7g weights and 6 4.5g weights, and the cartridge holds any 6. Fill it with the 4.5g weights and it's something like a tenth of a gram lighter then the Revolution which I think helped me get used to the G500 quicker.

The G9x felt weird when I tried one in a CompUSA. It seemed too small and light. I didn't care for it, though I was also basically just looking for a wired MX Revolution. No idea about the Roccat, I've never seen or heard of that one.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
http://sellout.woot.com/sale/razer-...tm_medium=email

80 dollar mouse for 35 if anyone's interested.
It's small, only 110mm long.

I'm thinking about getting it to replace my 6 year old G3. Any good/bad experiences?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Excursus posted:

Kinda like DEUCE SLUICE, I've just about given up with my MX Revolution because of the unusable scroll wheel click. Ever since they introduced the free spinning mode, middle-click just feels hopelessly muddy and unreliable. For 2 years now, tabbed browsing has been a pain for just that reason.

Chiming in to say that I got an Anywhere Mouse MX a few weeks ago and this is my only complaint. Great mouse, tracks on anything; completely unusable middle click because it scrolls a line or two as you press the button. So frustrating that something this basic is broken on an otherwise great product.

Apok
Jul 22, 2005
I have a title now!
I have a Logitech M705 and love it. It fits my hand perfectly and is the perfect weight. It also has this nifty small USB receptor which I can leave plugged into my laptop when I carry it between home and work. Perfect size and weight for my man hand. I also just realized what the button in the middle of the mouse did while reading the last page of this thread (click/no click wheel) :o

Awesome!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Valen posted:

I went from a MX Revolution to a G500 and am happy with it. I loved the MX but the battery life kept shrinking and playing a game would just about kill it in a day, so I went for a wired mouse. The G500 has one fewer buttons and doesn't have the thumb wheel or the auto-switching scroll which I miss, but overall it feels close enough that I wasn't fumbling with a new mouse for a month like I usually do when trying to adjust to a new model of mouse. The G500 comes with a weight cartridge and a little tin full of weights. There's 6 1.7g weights and 6 4.5g weights, and the cartridge holds any 6. Fill it with the 4.5g weights and it's something like a tenth of a gram lighter then the Revolution which I think helped me get used to the G500 quicker.

The G9x felt weird when I tried one in a CompUSA. It seemed too small and light. I didn't care for it, though I was also basically just looking for a wired MX Revolution. No idea about the Roccat, I've never seen or heard of that one.

Huh, Logitech's website makes it sound like the MX Revolution and the G500 have the same scroll wheel. Does it still have that vagueness the MX Revo has when it's in clicky mode? Or can you make a weapon selection or whatever with it cleanly?

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Huh, Logitech's website makes it sound like the MX Revolution and the G500 have the same scroll wheel. Does it still have that vagueness the MX Revo has when it's in clicky mode? Or can you make a weapon selection or whatever with it cleanly?

There is a selector button just below the wheel instead of it being software controlled. The clicky mode feels firmer then my old Revolution. Sometimes with the Revolution I could touch the wheel when it was in clicky mode and it would scroll while my G500 I have to push it to an actual notch. The wheel feels the same physically in each mode. No problems with false wheel inputs and the wheel button itself feels less prone to accidental wheel events. I think my old Revolution just had a loose mouse wheel, but my G500 is great all around.

Dead
Jul 22, 2001

texasmed posted:

I'm pretty sure my Logitech MX1000 regenerates itself. The logos are long gone, and the thumb area is completely worn down, but it's been through every popular game since 2006 with me, and has held up wonderfully.

I've bought and returned about 3 mice (including the g700, which I had high hopes for) since my MX1000 started to die a year or so ago. I cannot express how frustrated I am that no new mouse is as good as this mouse as old as it is. I thought the G8-G10 keys would be a suitable replacement for the up and down keys next to the mouse wheel, but they're just...bad for frequent use as a popular keybind.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Dead posted:

I've bought and returned about 3 mice (including the g700, which I had high hopes for) since my MX1000 started to die a year or so ago. I cannot express how frustrated I am that no new mouse is as good as this mouse as old as it is. I thought the G8-G10 keys would be a suitable replacement for the up and down keys next to the mouse wheel, but they're just...bad for frequent use as a popular keybind.

The G400 has two buttons in the same position as the MX1000's, did you try that? You give up on one thumb button and it lacks the hyperwheel of other mice, but if it's a dealbreaker it's a dealbreaker.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm thinking about buying the G300 (which, incidentally, I can't find at any brick and mortar store to try out) as a gaming mouse for BF3 because it has a bunch of buttons and the price is right.

Can any right handed user give any firsthand experience how comfortable the buttons on the right side of the mouse are to use? It seems like it would be a claw-job to press those with my pinky or ring finger, but then again I have no muscle memory for the mouse.

My other option is something like the G700 which is awesome but essentially twice the price and I'm a po' boy now.

And yeah, before someone mentions it, I do actually plan to bind every single available button because I hate using the keyboard, so I do want all those buttons :q:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The G300 is small. Unless you have tiny hands, having 3 fingers on top of it would be pretty impractical. I haven't used it long enough to really get used to the side buttons and I'm not sure I ever will, but I still really like it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't have giant ham-hands, but they're not tiny either. I really wish I could find one in-store to try :argh:

Dead
Jul 22, 2001

NihilCredo posted:

The G400 has two buttons in the same position as the MX1000's, did you try that? You give up on one thumb button and it lacks the hyperwheel of other mice, but if it's a dealbreaker it's a dealbreaker.

I have not, but I will look at that one...maybe even try to take it for a test drive. The thing the MX1000 has spoiled me on is that the buttons surrounding the mouse wheel are relatively large and have a very positive click to them. It instantly felt natural to have buttons there and use them they way they're clustered in with the wheel.

I'm afraid (and this is part of the problem I had with the G700 [that, and, small movements didn't seem to work all the time like a lot of the reviews said but I ignored]) that those small buttons near the mouse wheel won't feel 'right.'

I will look though. Thank you for the recomendation.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I wound up picking up a Logitech V220 wireless mouse from the local discount store for $13 or so, and then pulled another $20 impulse buy on a G1 online just now to replace my aging MX300.

The V220 has a different optical sensor that doesn't emit a red light from the LED, which I'm not really sure if I like or not. The V220 does have an on/off switch too, though it could have been made more obvious if the mouse is on or not with some color on the switch, as the lack of the red optical sensor makes it harder to check at a glance. The sensor is pretty sensitive coming from the MX300, to the point where I am massively overshooting my mouse movements while using it. I'd definitely need to tweak my mouse sensitivity if I wanted to replace my MX with this guy, but it's surprisingly comfortable in my hand, particularly if I use the wrist rest on my (ancient and grody) mouse pad.

Functionally the middle click doesn't seem to open the universal scroll thing like it did on the MX300, however it does have a tilt wheel, which scrolls around in Windows 7 right out of the box, no software install needed.

Overall the extra height makes me more keen on the V220 than the LS1 laser mouse I tried out on the cheap a month or two ago, but the much smaller length makes it clear that this is meant to be a travel mouse.

e: Oh poo poo, I didn't notice but the dongle has a groove in the plastic that slides the on/off switch into the appropriate position when you add/remove the adapter into the holding slot on the bottom. Awesome.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 22, 2011

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Martytoof posted:

G500 or G700?

Get yourself a G400, it's better than any other logitech in my opinion. Has a normal scroll wheel that doesn't suck rear end like the 500, is wired, up to 3200 dpi which is more than enough. Uses setpoint software which owns. 5 DPI presets you can switch on the fly. Much more solid and doesn't rattle like the 500 if you whip it around. Great ergonomics, button placement, button feel/actuation. Righty only.

Best of all its only like 40 bucks or less. It's basically the updated MX518 which used to be the king of gaming mice. It's the same thing but with updated optics for higher dpi. No it doesn't have 52 buttons but I guarantee if you get any of those types of mice something else about them will piss you off. They always have either a poo poo scroll wheel, ergos, or crap buttons/ placement.

Everything is perfect on the g400. The g500 has more buttons but after I tried them out, I realized I would never used them because they are placed and shaped really crappy. Don't get my started on the scroll wheel, literally the shittiest most terribly useless scroll wheel I have ever tried, which makes the buttons on it useless as well. The free rotate scroll wheel gimmick is so drat stupid on a gaming mouse I have no idea what they were thinking. The 2 side buttons on the g400 are perfect, and the mouse has 8 buttons total. If you don't use the 3 dpi switching buttons for their default use, that's still 5 extra buttons to play with compared to a normal mouse.

edit: also, I see your hatred of keyboards in almost every post regarding pc games. Are you using a poopy rubber dome standard keyboard? If so that is not helping you like keyboard gaming. Get yourself a nice mechanical. I just got myself a rosewill rk-9000 which cherry mx black switches for gaming. I swear if you have never tried a real keyboard like a buckling spring (not exactly good for gaming due to poor key rollover, but the grand daddy of mechanical keyboards nonetheless), or cherry mx switch based mechanical keyboard, you are missing out. It will make it much easier for you to adapt to keyboard gaming. It is a bit of an investment though. The rosewill's are the best deal I've come across new, and it'll still run you 100 bucks. For the long term though, way way worth it. The reason it's expensive is because on a mech. keyboard, every key is a separate mechanism which provides a much more solid, repetitive action. None of that squishy, unresponsive, uneven, crap keypresses rubber dome keyboards provide.

Rosewill RK-9000 is what I'm talking about. Rosewill usually makes budget gear but their mechanical keyboards they just came out with are great, no need to worry about quality. Lots of people like to spend another 50 bucks for the import brands like filco, but this is basically identical to them for 50 bucks less. Literally the same mold and made at the same factory.

This has become a long edit, but as a last thing if you are interested in learning more, check out Overclocked.com's mechanical keyboard guide. I personally recommend cherry mx black switches for games like BF3, though it is really a matter of preference. Also something with a PS/2 connector as you will learn if you read that thread.

Damo fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 22, 2011

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Corsair is starting to make cherry mx red based keyboards. I don't know enough keyboard voodoo to know if that's good or not, but seems like it might be another cheap mechanical option.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
So I just bought a g500 and I'm noticing a delay when trying to increase the DPI, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to tap the button, or hold it for a few seconds or what but it does not increase the DPI very quickly at all. Decreasing works immediately on the first press.

Is this a setting I can change or some sort of idiot proofing to protect me from accidentally increasing my DPI when my sausage fingers somehow touch the button?

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

KS posted:

Chiming in to say that I got an Anywhere Mouse MX a few weeks ago and this is my only complaint. Great mouse, tracks on anything; completely unusable middle click because it scrolls a line or two as you press the button. So frustrating that something this basic is broken on an otherwise great product.

rebind your secondary middle button (normally is logitech's expose-clone window switcher button) to middle mouse, problem solved.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

SpaceBanditos posted:

So I just bought a g500 and I'm noticing a delay when trying to increase the DPI, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to tap the button, or hold it for a few seconds or what but it does not increase the DPI very quickly at all. Decreasing works immediately on the first press.

Is this a setting I can change or some sort of idiot proofing to protect me from accidentally increasing my DPI when my sausage fingers somehow touch the button?

You're supposed to tap the button. There's no control that I'm aware of over a delay, and playing with mine after reading your post, the DPI increase and decrease buttons both work instantly so you might have a bad mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
Yea I took some time to play with it a bit more and I'm thinking that there is something wrong with the button. If I press it in the same way as I press the "decrease DPI button" it's completely hit or miss if it registers. If I press it down and "wiggle" the button it works every time.

Back to BestBuy you go little friend..

*replaced it with a new mouse, button works properly now.

SpaceBanditos fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 24, 2011