Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Day 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTjvv51NkmI

Great win for Endo_____!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I really like how Osunaarashi always offers to help the other Rikishi up. Nobody else seems to do that, It's might be normal in Japan to not assist (I'm not sure, something to do with honor probably), but it's nice to see some western sportsmanship.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Hahaha Kisenosato pulled an Endou . Against Endou . How did he lose that so easily in the end?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

Hahaha Kisenosato pulled an Endou . Against Endou . How did he lose that so easily in the end?

Someone must have whispered in his ear about getting considered for yokozuna again.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Wow I yelled when Endo showed Kisenosato the exit

Also it was amazing that Toyonoshima survived Hakuho's nuclear taiachi!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I don't know how you beat Hakuho (nor does most anyone else), but grabbing his belt and taking a breath seems to be the worst thing to try. It sure seems like once that happens the bout is pretty much over. Which must be terribly demoralizing since against anyone else it's almost standard operating procedure.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

I don't know how you beat Hakuho (nor does most anyone else)

Kakuryu had the right idea last basho. It was just his misfortune he had to face Hakuho again after, since Hakuho had wised up to the initial successful strategy.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Yeah that's what I meant with the "taking a breath part". In the first match Kakuryu got the belt and didn't stop, but in the second he (and a lot of others) get the hold then go into leaning mode, which Hakuho doesn't seem to lose to at all.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Nothing makes my day quite like watching Kisenosato choke.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Wow I yelled when Endo showed Kisenosato the exit

Also it was amazing that Toyonoshima survived Hakuho's nuclear taiachi!

I've always likened wrestling Toyonoshima to wrestling with a wet noodle. He is low, flexible, slippery, and has a disproportionally huge belly that makes it hard to wrap him up. If you try to overpower him, he'll turn it against you better than anyone.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Day 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iUnqnjrS4A

Endo looking strong again. Facing off against a slow Kotooshu tomorrow

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
I'm really pleased with this basho. The opening days really made me realize how much I love uwatenage. Lots of action! Glad to see Harumafuji doing pretty well, after the first day I was a little worried because of that flip, but he's been doing great.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
what the gently caress harumafuji? against tochiouzan? why?

oosunaarashi continues to impress me. i really hope he doesn't hit a wall as he ascends the maegashira ranks like some guys. i think the fact that he's still pretty new compared to the others and that he continues to add to his skillset may work in his favor there, more room to adapt as he progresses

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

a false posted:

what the gently caress harumafuji? against tochiouzan? why?

12-7 lifetime record, so one of his weaker matchups. Plus I think he (correctly) read that T was going full throttle on the tachi-ai.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
I see no problem with Harumafuji doing a henka. You should mix them in to keep people guessing.

All right Masunoyama! Getting back in the win column, gotta root for a guy that may drop dead at any second.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Looks like Kisenosato put weight on his previously injured toe trying to do a throw and just collapsed because of it

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Day 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmlT4Wf2Jpc

edit -

Tokushouryu's tachai was so powerful I'm pretty sure his opponent will feel that one for days :lol:

Harumafuji seriously tried to kill someone in the crowd, good lord. Death by ballistic sumo missile. At one point in the slow motion replay you can see him stare Takayasu down and slap him across the face

Endo vs Oosunaarashi tomorrow is an exciting prospect. Will Endo claw his way to a kachikoshi at M1 or can Oos continue his Cinderella run at a Yusho?

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 15, 2014

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hell of an effort there by Tochinowaka.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

anakha posted:

Hell of an effort there by Tochinowaka.

That was the most X-rated thing I've ever seen in sumo. Looked like two gorillas loving the same football.

What is going on with Oosuna? Last tournament I thought he looked like a rank and filer, this one he looks unstoppable.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

That was the most X-rated thing I've ever seen in sumo. Looked like two gorillas loving the same football.

What is going on with Oosuna? Last tournament I thought he looked like a rank and filer, this one he looks unstoppable.

I think it's a combination of improvement in his technique and some favorable matchups early on. Endo is probably the most technically accomplished guy he'll face so far.

Mister Twister
Oct 22, 2010
Day 8 -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhcoU_Wm5EU

What a way to win by Endou! Didn't think he would recover after the first few tough bouts but is making a strong comeback.
Also, I like Gagamaru but he can lose in such embarassing ways sometimes...

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Satoyama throwing Gagamaru is easily the highlight of the basho so far.

Looks like Kotooshu's heart just isn't in it anymore.

Endo-Osunaarashi was pretty drat epic.

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 16, 2014

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Omnikin posted:

Day 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmlT4Wf2Jpc

edit -

Tokushouryu's tachai was so powerful I'm pretty sure his opponent will feel that one for days :lol:

Harumafuji seriously tried to kill someone in the crowd, good lord. Death by ballistic sumo missile. At one point in the slow motion replay you can see him stare Takayasu down and slap him across the face

Endo vs Oosunaarashi tomorrow is an exciting prospect. Will Endo claw his way to a kachikoshi at M1 or can Oos continue his Cinderella run at a Yusho?

a day late, but it looked like harumafuji was trying to make up for any perceived bad sumo in his henka the day before by going for a completely unnecessary susoharai

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

anakha posted:

Satoyama throwing Gagamaru is easily the highlight of the basho so far.

absolutely. reminded me of some old mainoumi-konishiki highlights.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Araibira has a highlight video up, for those chomping at the bit for Kintamayamas late update.

Without spoiling the ending - Kisenosato is about the only person who could have endured that tachiai from Giku. Holy poo poo.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Finally up, day 9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J02TDHcI3Zc

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Dammit, just when Osunaarashi looked like he was ready to challenge the higher-ranked guys...

Ow, my jaw and neck are aching after that Kaisei-Toyohibiki bout.

Sliiiick sidestep by Goeido there.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Day 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P5zKbTOz58

Hopefully a better day than yesterday

Seven or eight bouts in and it seems like everyone is getting injured this basho :ohdear:

Aaaaand Oosunaarashi is out before he can record his winning record, gently caress

Tochinowaka with the great awareness to save a win!!

Both Yokozuna at 10-0 working towards the big showdown. Harumafuji vs Kisenosato tomorrow, Kise has won five straight matchups between them

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
What set of criteria does Goeido need to fulfil to get the promotion to Ozeki?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Tsaedje posted:

What set of criteria does Goeido need to fulfil to get the promotion to Ozeki?

typically the criteria is 30 wins in 3 basho. he had 16 over the last two, and if he wins out this time around he would be at 29 over 3 basho. would that be enough? i don't know. it's not likely anyway, seeing as he still has hakuho, harumafuji, and kisenosato to face

now, say he manages 10 wins this basho, 12 would put him at more or less lock for promotion next time around. that's more plausible. i think he's probably going to get it eventually, but he needs to start beating guys like tochiouzan with more consistency

a false fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 18, 2014

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
30 wins over 3 bashos is considered the bare minimum, and even if he wins out he'll be at 29 over the last 3.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Its 30 wins over the past 3 tournaments, de facto, so that's out. He needed 14 wins this time to qualify. If he has a miracle yushou I can see them giving it to him because he has been able to persist at sekiwake for so long. Otherwise its a story for the next championship.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Is it just me or is Masunoyama gasping for air like a fish quite a bit less after his matches lately?

anakha fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 18, 2014

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

anakha posted:

Is it just me or has Masunoyama gasping for air like a fish quite a bit less after his matches lately?

I noticed this too. Especially after today's bout.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

anakha posted:

Is it just me or is Masunoyama gasping for air like a fish quite a bit less after his matches lately?

noticed the same thing.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Harumafuji is going to henka Kisenosato as much as he can without bringing complete dishonor to himself. Kise needs to play it safe and win with his superior balance and power. If he survived that nuclear tachiai from Giku, he'll be fine even if Harumafuji decides to surprise everyone and deploy the Mongolian Missile.

Hey guys, remember when Hakuho looked like he had passed his peak, and when Harumafuji wasn't a good enough yokozuna? It ain't even funny how wrong all that appears now.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Was Harumafuji considered a yokozuna candidate before he made his run?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Yeah, but it was seen as a race between his age and whether or not he could shore up his spotty consistency. Basically, all the criticism of Harumafuji's basho to basho performance was the same as it is now.

Kotooshu pulled out, he's probably done forever :smith:

If Goeido beats Hakuho that place is gonna come down.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Uncle Jam posted:

Yeah, but it was seen as a race between his age and whether or not he could shore up his spotty consistency. Basically, all the criticism of Harumafuji's basho to basho performance was the same as it is now.

bear in mind he had had a pretty rough run of injuries right up to like, 1 basho before he started his yokozuna run.

and RIP kotooshu. i was never his biggest fan but it sucks to see him go out so pathetically (assuming he's retiring, which he probably should)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Posture Pal
Nov 22, 2007

Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkQxwfHZpTI