Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Just ordered my 32GB Silver Retina Mini with the Apple Store App on my iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Alright, got the Silver 16 GB WiFi for home use. Was considering the T-Mobile but have the Air already plus it would have taken longer to ship (5-10 business days instead of 1-3). And the faster shipping option would have been just one day faster.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
just got the 32gb black at&t mini retina. Wow, macrumors's mavericks notification service worked perfectly.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Heh, I'm taking care of my newborn so this was a nice surprise to see at 3:00am EST. Ordered the 64GB AT&T (black) edition.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
Ordered a 128GB wi-fi model. Hopefully getting the order in by 2:04 will put me at the shorter end of the 5-10 day range.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
MY Wife and I just both ordered 64gb black rMinis in Canada. Shipping for the larger capacity is 28 Nov - 5 Dec :( but at least it's as fast as it can possibly be.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Black 16GB wifi model order completed. Glad I resisted the urge to buy the Air.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
32GB Space Gray Retina mini ordered.

Got "1-3 Days shipping" and estimated Nov 20-22 delivery.

Really glad I trusted that MacRumors leak and set an alarm tonight!

68Bird
Sep 2, 2004
Ordered a 32 gig wifi model to replace a 16 gig third gen. My only concern is that they're going to be selling for crazy prices on eBay in two weeks due to low supply and I'm going to be tempted to flip it.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

68Bird posted:

Ordered a 32 gig wifi model to replace a 16 gig third gen. My only concern is that they're going to be selling for crazy prices on eBay in two weeks due to low supply and I'm going to be tempted to flip it.

Yeah, I ordered a 32 gig wifi in grey as soon as the site went up and I immediately thought the same thing. If the supply strain is any indication, some people are probably going to be willing to pay like 1500 for these things. It's still 1-3 days shipping for the 16/32 but who knows for how long. I imagine that barely anyone knows, and the stories are just now showing up on The Verge and such while everyone's asleep.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

Nuntius posted:

MY Wife and I just both ordered 64gb black rMinis in Canada. Shipping for the larger capacity is 28 Nov - 5 Dec :( but at least it's as fast as it can possibly be.

Just did the same. Glad to see it was available here. 5-10 days.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I gotta say, it's really interesting to hear what kind of model everybody's ordering.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
I found it helpful. Apple did not include Canada on the list of countries getting it released today. Nuntius' post was welcome news.

saber45
Nov 10, 2004

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I don't know if anyone else here is having the Air problems MacRumors is talking about, but I've got a big shadowy horizontal bar through my screen and the right side of my screen is distractingly blue. I think I may just return the Air rather than play Apple roulette since I border-hopped to get it more cheaply and I don't want to open another and find the same thing.

Urgh, I want to love this so much. :(

Had this on 2 Air's that i have exchanged for now (both for dead pixels) and including my family's bring it to 4 Air's that I've seen and all of them have had this problem. I've seen one Air that didn't have this problem out of 4 which is bad odd. I might just be unlucky though!

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Xabi posted:

I gotta say, it's really interesting to hear what kind of model everybody's ordering.

I'd be all for "Pro" Apple threads without the several daily "guys, guys, is 16GB / and i5 / 128GB SSD / etc. etc. enough for me oh please read my mind and determine my needs for me". These release events are relatively few (though admittedly not far between with the current two iPads), so they're just an occasional bother, whereas "tell me what to buy" is a daily thing.

I also think that the first few posts about buying were helpful in proving that this thing is actually available.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 12, 2013

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Woah, just randomly woke up, checked the apple store, and a 32 gig lte is on the way.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
So, with a Verizon mini, can I just pop into a T-Mobile store, buy a sim, and take advantage of the 200 MB free, even if I'm not a current T-Mobile customer? I know this has been discussed a bit in the past few pages, but I'm still not clear on it.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

BeanBandit posted:

So, with a Verizon mini, can I just pop into a T-Mobile store, buy a sim, and take advantage of the 200 MB free, even if I'm not a current T-Mobile customer? I know this has been discussed a bit in the past few pages, but I'm still not clear on it.

Yes. Just did this with an original mini two days ago. Will be even better with a new mini because it has the bands for both T-Mobile HSPA+/DC-HSDPA and T-Mobile LTE.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Why is my Ipad only showing 1/3 of the pictures in my photo stream (the newest ones)? When I look at the photo stream on my iphone all of them show up.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Now that I have secured a new Mini, and will be reusing my current Smart Cover, how do you go about cleaning the outside of it?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Xabi posted:

Why is my Ipad only showing 1/3 of the pictures in my photo stream (the newest ones)? When I look at the photo stream on my iphone all of them show up.
Nevermind, it seems that only pictures taken after you turn on the photo stream will appear there. So, it seems that Dropbox might be a better solution.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is Otterbox he best choice to make an iPad stand up to kids (5 and 7, specifically)?

A friend at work asked me about iPad cases, but I don't know much about them.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
64gb T-mobile mini on the way. Can't wait.

Other than the sim card inside, All the LTE models are the same yes? Someone in the thread earlier was recommending a verizon model even if you were going to take advange of the t-mobile free 200mb due to the bands/compatibility with other carriers, but I can't find anything online to substantiate this. Does it matter which carrier you choose?

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Pissingintowind posted:

Yes. Just did this with an original mini two days ago. Will be even better with a new mini because it has the bands for both T-Mobile HSPA+/DC-HSDPA and T-Mobile LTE.

How much do they charge for a sim? Unless they're asking a lot for the sim, it seems crazy that it's that simple. What is T-Mobile getting out of allowing customers on other carriers to just use 200 MB a month on their service for free?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

BeanBandit posted:

How much do they charge for a sim? Unless they're asking a lot for the sim, it seems crazy that it's that simple. What is T-Mobile getting out of allowing customers on other carriers to just use 200 MB a month on their service for free?

The potential that they pay for more once they instantly use the free 200mb and everything afterwards is throttled.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Bonobos posted:

64gb T-mobile mini on the way. Can't wait.

Other than the sim card inside, All the LTE models are the same yes? Someone in the thread earlier was recommending a verizon model even if you were going to take advange of the t-mobile free 200mb due to the bands/compatibility with other carriers, but I can't find anything online to substantiate this. Does it matter which carrier you choose?

Supposedly Verizon may refuse to activate a non Verizon device, even though they are all technically the same model. Not sure if this is true or not, or how Verizon would even determine this, but I ordered the Verizon model just in case. Seems like you could always just activate some other Verizon tablet and then swap the SIM into the retina Mini though?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tonic posted:

Supposedly Verizon may refuse to activate a non Verizon device, even though they are all technically the same model. Not sure if this is true or not, or how Verizon would even determine this, but I ordered the Verizon model just in case. Seems like you could always just activate some other Verizon tablet and then swap the SIM into the retina Mini though?
That should work, yes, but how many people have multiple tablets they can activate a SIM in? There's no guarantee Verizon will sell you a SIM to put in an iPad, but if you already have one, it should work.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Guess these are shipping soon, my card was already charged. Can you return online orders in-store?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

illcendiary posted:

Guess these are shipping soon, my card was already charged. Can you return online orders in-store?
Yes.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Well the concern is that Verizon has device white lists and if you didn't get a Verizon model ipad then you are not on the white list thus you can't activate it on Verizon ever. If it works like phones then they will simply say that this isn't one of their approved devices or whatever. Doesn't matter about the SIM card I believe, just that the devices ESN/IMEI is cleared for their network.

Regardless the safer bet for me was to get the Verizon model and just pony up 10bux for at TMobile SIM card. I'd have loved to get one for $1 but by the time I checked they were out if stock. $10 is still not bad for a lifetime of 200mb monthly.

Is anyone still trying to use TouchID on their iPads? You really get used to it once you have it yeesh.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

tonic posted:

The way it used to work with CDMA/3G is that the IMEI/MEID is used for authenticating access to the network, not a SIM card. Verizon had a list of the ones assigned by/for them, and refused to activate any devices that wasn't on that list. With LTE access is granted by the SIM card, but there still needs to be the ability to fall back to CDMA/3G if LTE isn't available. I don't know if that's included on the SIM card now or is baked into the device like it used to be.

In any case, as part of the Open Access requirements Verizon agreed to as part of their winning the 700Mhz spectrum auction, they shouldn't be able to block any LTE devices, but that isn't helping Nexus 7 owners. Although the fact that Verizon does sell the iPad means they can't use the certification argument for it.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

fordan posted:

In any case, as part of the Open Access requirements Verizon agreed to as part of their winning the 700Mhz spectrum auction, they shouldn't be able to block any LTE devices, but that isn't helping Nexus 7 owners. Although the fact that Verizon does sell the iPad means they can't use the certification argument for it.

You can stick a Verizon iPad SIM into a Nexus 7 and it will work just fine (a colleague did it), so it seems like their authentication must now be SIM based and not IMEI based?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So when should the new mini's be in stores? I've got a bestbuy credit waiting to be used on one. Their webpage shows a ship to store status of 3-5 days. I guess they are just waiting to get their shipments in?

eiddetham
Sep 22, 2003

Tap bitch.

mattfl posted:

So when should the new mini's be in stores? I've got a bestbuy credit waiting to be used on one. Their webpage shows a ship to store status of 3-5 days. I guess they are just waiting to get their shipments in?

I just used in-store pickup to order mines today, so shouldn't they be in stores today? This is in NYC btw. It's for my wife, so she is picking it up after she gets out of work.

Edit: that's weird that it's not showing up for in store pickup for other people...maybe depends on the model? I got the 32 gig silver wifi only

eiddetham fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 12, 2013

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

eiddetham posted:

I just used in-store pickup to order mines today, so shouldn't they be in stores today? This is in NYC btw. It's for my wife, so she is picking it up after she gets out of work.

Hmm. When I go to their page the only option I have is ship to store option. I've read various reports of possibly them getting their shipment in later today or tomorrow. Guess I'll just keep refreshing their inventory page.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

mattfl posted:

Target is still saying not available online and not sold in stores. I did the $200 trade-in with my old iPad and am waiting for the mini retina. Any guesses when Target will get these?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

jerkstore77 posted:

Target is still saying not available online and not sold in stores. I did the $200 trade-in with my old iPad and am waiting for the mini retina. Any guesses when Target will get these?

I did the trade in and opted to just order one from Apple. It isn't hard to spend $200 on other stuff at Target, and the money all comes from the same place in the end.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
After comparing the mini and the air in store, I opted for the air since I use my iPad as more of a laptop replacement when I'm out and about and like being able to type on the keyboard in landscape. Holy hell this thing is light compared to my 3rd gen iPad. It's so much easier to hold. If anyone is on the fence about upgrading their 3rd gen iPad I'd say it's definitely worth the upgrade.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
After a year with the Mini I was still two-finger-typing. A week with the Air and I can already lay it down and touch-type fairly quickly. I never thought I'd pick that up, so the extra space is way nicer than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
A while ago I posted that safari would crash to desktop anytime I tried to open more then one tab. It was still doing it after I did a restore.

It actually turns out you just need to go in and clear your history, cookies, and browser data from the settings app if anyone else ends up having this issue.