Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Amante posted:

I miss HellMOO so much... don't think I'll ever find another game that scratches the same itch. Unfortunately, it's just not Hell without some form of open PvP, and all the core staff care about is shutting up the whiners (AKA carebears) so they can go back to shooting the poo poo with their badmin social club. Why they don't just hang out on Discord and finally put the game out of its ghost-town misery, I don't know. It's clear the wizards stopped caring years ago.

In some sense, absent gods really fits the tone they were going for, doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Absent gods that gently caress everything up every time they show their faces, maybe. Truly absent gods would've been much better.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
What happened to HellMOO is a tragedy.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
I'm kind of looking for a new MUD to grab my attention. I was on Retro for a while but the grind kind of got to me, hard, especially when it started requiring parties to do most anything worthwhile around my level. Anyone have any suggestions for MUDs that match these requirements?

Large amount of races (or small amount of interesting ones; things where the differences are not just stats. Multiple limbs, wings, etc.)
Interesting classes (Not just the standard fighter, mage, cleric, thief thing like DikuMUDs tend to have.)
Ability to actually solo without it being the most insane grind.
And ideally, interesting areas to explore. Things that include puzzles and not just 'kill this monster here'.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I've been playing Materia Magica and I think it meets your criteria, except, arguably, the interesting classes part. The way it works is the classes are divided into the standard Diku fighter/mage/cleric/thief categories; so fighter classes include barbarian and paladin, mage includes wizard and psionic, etc. You pick one class to start, and then every 60 levels you can pick one additional class from a category you haven't picked yet. Your class determines your hp/sp gains, and which skills you have access to. Skills include standard Diku stuff like second attack, third attack, bash, etc., although there is quite a bit more, plus they added a system where your practiced % in each skill or spell gives it a unique bonus.

There are 13 races, and race seems to be pretty important since it restricts the classes you can choose, plus each race has special racial abilities and attributes, and I think some have extra equip slots like tail.

I'm currently at level 50, and I've been able to solo everything except a couple of bosses that require a group (i.e., you can't even attempt them solo if you wanted to). Which brings me to one of my favorite things about this MUD: the bosses. The combat system is your standard Diku "autoattack every round, spam abilities on top of that if you want" fare, but what makes it actually interesting is that there are tons of special bosses, with their own unique mechanics. Like there's a Stormlord boss you can fight around level 30, his arena is a 3x3 grid of rooms, and periodically he drops balls of lightning on the center square and diagonals, then on the cardinal directions, then on the diagonals, etc., so you have to dodge back and forth. And killing a boss gives you 1-2 levels worth of exp, so exploring for and killing bosses is a fun way to level.

I was also impressed with their tutorial quests; after the standard MUD school area, you go to a little village full of quests and bosses and secrets to uncover, which takes you up to level 20. The next area has a long quest that gets you some awesome armor (that expires at level 60) and has several more bosses. The areas are fun to explore and have their own mechanics too, like there's a haunted village with ghosts that patrol around and if you walk into the room with one it instakills you, so you have to figure out how to dodge them. The death penalty isn't bad though, you turn into a ghost for a few minutes and then resurrect with all your items etc. still in your inventory (although I believe harder high level areas might make you leave some items on a corpse).

There are also hundreds of "marks" which are basically achievements for solving area quests and various other activities, that can give you a bunch of exp and gold as well.

Overall, I'm impressed by how modern the game feels, they've clearly taken some lessons from modern MMOs. They also update the game regularly, there's a changelist you can view in game that shows they're doing at least small bugfixes several times a week. I think they also just did a fairly major revamp right before I started playing.

For all that though, there's some stuff that is decidedly not streamlined (sometimes in a good way - after all, you wouldn't be playing a MUD if you just wanted the theme park MMO experience). Travel can be time consuming; there are several major cities, and a lot of quests make you travel between them. If you try to just walk between cities, you'll have to stop to rest and recover stamina several times along the way. It pays to familiarize yourself with the various travel systems, like a hot air balloon that takes you between 3 towns, and a few different ferries for getting between continents.

The spell system is also fairly complicated. You have to memorize spells to cast them, or be holding a spellbook with the spell inscribed. Spellbooks (and your memory) have a limit on how many spells they can contain, which increases with the quality of the spellbook. You also have to travel to specific towns to find the scrolls to copy into your book (and I think higher level spells have to be found in dungeons), and not every trainer knows every skill, so you have to travel around to practice different things. You also need reagents (purchasable at vendors) to cast certain spells.

If you decide to play, I HIGHLY recommend picking a fighter class to start out with; if you pick a magic class, you won't have enough spell points and reagent capacity to cast all your cool spells anyway. I started as a wizard and made it to level 45, and I was just spamming my level 1 spell over and over because it was the only thing cheap enough to cast that didn't require reagents. I restarted as a paladin and I'm much happier with it.

https://annwn.info/ seems to be the only third party resource for the game that's still up, but it's VERY useful. It has databases of every mark, quest, NPC, etc. in the game, although some of it seems to be out of date.

I also highly recommend playing with the mushclient package that you can download from the game's website, http://www.materiamagica.com/play/#desktop. It comes with a REALLY good mapper plugin that's prepopulated with maps of the entire world (as far as I've seen), and lots of handy bookmarks for traveling between areas. I honestly can't imagine playing without it.

I'm Onkoni in game, hope to see some people there :yeah:

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
I'm giving it a try. It's not absolutely wowing me yet, but certainly seems functional enough. ^^ I'm on there as Tryna.

Edit: Okay, this seems pretty drat good so far.

Prythian fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 1, 2017

Parachute
May 18, 2003
*quickly glances at the materia magica race options*

quote:

Sahuagin
The Sahuagin are the intelligent, humanoid descendants of sharks

hell yeah

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Prythian posted:

I'm kind of looking for a new MUD to grab my attention. I was on Retro for a while but the grind kind of got to me, hard, especially when it started requiring parties to do most anything worthwhile around my level. Anyone have any suggestions for MUDs that match these requirements?

Large amount of races (or small amount of interesting ones; things where the differences are not just stats. Multiple limbs, wings, etc.)
Interesting classes (Not just the standard fighter, mage, cleric, thief thing like DikuMUDs tend to have.)
Ability to actually solo without it being the most insane grind.
And ideally, interesting areas to explore. Things that include puzzles and not just 'kill this monster here'.

Gorelab and I are currently rocking BatMUD, which has what you're looking for.

1) A little over 40 races, albeit some of them are restricted (either to invite only or remort only). While they're all humanoid, they have a variety of attributes such as flying, natural swimming, greater than normal amount of limbs, differing diet requirements, and so on.
2) The class system in BatMUD is pretty cool. You pick one of five Backgrounds, and then select from guilds (plural) connected to your background or background-agnostic. After your obligatory levels (10 Background, 5 Racial), you have 85 levels to fill with guilds, most of which take 20-30 levels to max.
3) Soloability in BatMUD depends on guild load. There's generally three suggestions for strong solo and newbie-friendly guilds: Nomad background, Ranger guild (boring but very strong fundamentals), Evil Religious background, Tazarkk (strong tank, interesting mechanics), Magical background, Riftwalker (pet class, interesting mechanics). The high end content is group, but you can go quite a ways solo with a solo-friendly build.
4) Oh God. BatMUD has the largest gamefield I've ever encountered, littered with areas. You even get substantial experience (and access to the background-agnostic teleportation class) by exploring the game. The only caveat here is that some areas are old as dirt and some are brand new, and both the mechanical and creative quality of them can vary a lot.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Maybe this is a weird request, but can people post some of their favorite rooms for their favorite MUDs?

I only ever played Dragonrealms really, and I still remember really being taken with the descriptions of certain areas and things. Was just curious what the writing in other MUDs is like, even though I don't have time to play any these days.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I still miss Realms of the Dragon.

Gone too young. :(

Xodi
May 20, 2004

Xodi is.. alien dinosaur? wtf?! (thanks OMG ITZ JAMES)
Been considering giving BAT another go. Being the Tarmalan guild leader by literally healing THE ENTIRE WORLD was kind of hilarious. I think I may have dested some of my gear, have no idea where I logged off, probably been evicted from my newbie apartment among other things. We'll see how it goes.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i wish i had time to mud anymore

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I wish there were any that were worth my time.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Xodi posted:

Been considering giving BAT another go. Being the Tarmalan guild leader by literally healing THE ENTIRE WORLD was kind of hilarious. I think I may have dested some of my gear, have no idea where I logged off, probably been evicted from my newbie apartment among other things. We'll see how it goes.

Let us (Valdi and Zeteo) know when you're on. If we're around at the time we can at least commiserate or whatever.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'll come back to Bat too.

Look for Bee or whatever my name is there.

Xodi
May 20, 2004

Xodi is.. alien dinosaur? wtf?! (thanks OMG ITZ JAMES)
I'd play BAT again if we had the interest. In the mean time a MUD I used to run called The Godwars: War of Legend is apparently back and I am on staff.

This is unlike most other Godwars MUDs save for weapon levels and killing other players. It was coded from the ground up from MERC, everything is custom and original. Loot is done in a Diablo style randomization with certain tier levels guaranteeing stats. You max level, kill other people, and make things happen. Well, that is the goal but we're lacking on players. GodWars is kind of dying, not sure why they're wanting to bring it back, but I figure I'd give it the honest go.

If there is any interest it is godwars.net port 4200. I can elaborate about the game a little more as well if there is any interest.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Is it RP+?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Xodi posted:

I'd play BAT again if we had the interest. In the mean time a MUD I used to run called The Godwars: War of Legend is apparently back and I am on staff.

This is unlike most other Godwars MUDs save for weapon levels and killing other players. It was coded from the ground up from MERC, everything is custom and original. Loot is done in a Diablo style randomization with certain tier levels guaranteeing stats. You max level, kill other people, and make things happen. Well, that is the goal but we're lacking on players. GodWars is kind of dying, not sure why they're wanting to bring it back, but I figure I'd give it the honest go.

If there is any interest it is godwars.net port 4200. I can elaborate about the game a little more as well if there is any interest.

Me and Conskill are playing. I know I've seen Imrael around once, and I think another guy said he'd start. We'd just need to figure out a way to talk, and I have no clue how to do that.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Gorelab posted:

Me and Conskill are playing. I know I've seen Imrael around once, and I think another guy said he'd start. We'd just need to figure out a way to talk, and I have no clue how to do that.

Aside from tells, long ago in the misty days of Goons' first stab at BatMUD there was a Goon Secret Society with its own channel. I do not know if anyone still has access to it/can invite us, though.

If we got a solid third goon (someone who's going to stick around for a bit) I wouldn't mind advocating for them joining the House we're in, but lowbie slots are incredibly limited in houses and we tend to be mayflies in MUDs.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I'm currently split between the new Path of Exile league and Batmud.

Reincarnated to a Cyclops Reaver/Tentacle disciple named Vadun in Batmud

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
How is Batmud these days. Last time I tried it auto attacks didn't do any damage and I had to spam kick over and over. That and the game seem to be jam packed with bots.

Edit: Played it for a bit. Seems a lot better than when I played it. Leveling seems crazy fast at least for the tutorial area.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 14, 2017

Edilaic
Jul 10, 2008
I’m still in the Goon Squad secret society on Bat, but I have no idea how to tell if I can invite people. There also doesn’t seem to be a way to get a list of members, though you can get a list of online members, and I think I’m the only one.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Edilaic posted:

I’m still in the Goon Squad secret society on Bat, but I have no idea how to tell if I can invite people. There also doesn’t seem to be a way to get a list of members, though you can get a list of online members, and I think I’m the only one.

You could probably ask newbie/bat and might be able to get an answer. If you could invite people it'd be absolutely great.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I dredged through the old MUD thread, and apparently we had to have Wizard intervention to invite people because we never founded a city. I imagine that won't fly anymore.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Conskill posted:

I dredged through the old MUD thread, and apparently we had to have Wizard intervention to invite people because we never founded a city. I imagine that won't fly anymore.

How do we found a city?

edit: This would be easier on Icesus, where we also have a channel and a tower.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Not visible on mudstats due to it's codebase but seriously populated is a game called Arx

http://play.arxmush.org/

I have not played on it for a while but it might appeal to a lot of people, much less code heavy than a MUD and more roleplay based but with a fair bit of code support.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Lost Souls is pretty neat but this keeping system is a giant pain in the rear end, goddamn.

Seatox
Mar 13, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Lost Souls is pretty neat but this keeping system is a giant pain in the rear end, goddamn.

Only advice I can give for dealing with the Lost Souls keep system is to train every obscure skill you can afford, even if you're not specializing in them. Items fall into multiple keep categories, so stuff like magic armour counts as a magic item AND armour AND a metal item, using points you can get from training smithing + arcane lore + armour use + armour lore, on top of the general keep points you get from ownership skill and your ego + willpower. It uses specialized keep capacity before your general one.

It's a huge pain in the rear end and a neat subsystem at the same time, like a lot of Lost Souls stuff. Oh, and don't waste time trying to keep named artifacts, they cost 50+ keep points, and they'll stop being kept after a few days anyway (to stop people from hoarding them).

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

My reincarnation fetish is going to kill me. And now I'm being distracted by trying to figure out Elite Dangerous. Anyways maybe we should make a horrible LPMud goon discord or something.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Gorelab posted:

My reincarnation fetish is going to kill me. And now I'm being distracted by trying to figure out Elite Dangerous. Anyways maybe we should make a horrible LPMud goon discord or something.

SPeaking of, sorry for ditching for the past week. Been with family and my PC over there chokes trying to run Batclient. I should be playing again tomorrow, though.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Hey MUDfriends I have been playing neongrey's MUD Avendar and it's actually really good?? It's RP+ and PvP+ with some pretty interesting races and classes. I suckered Conskill and some other friends into playing and we've been faffing about for a couple weeks now.

I am Syeirah and Jessalyne if you spot me feel free to say hi/murder me.

Reene fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 3, 2018

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Corby Haas posted:

On mudstats.com/browse

I saw "Arabian Nights" in the list of genres and got intrigued until it only gave me one server that's been dead for a decade.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I'm on Avendar as Jajawil as well.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Reene posted:

Hey MUDfriends I have been playing neongrey's MUD Avendar and it's actually really good?? It's RP+ and PvP+ with some pretty interesting races and classes. I suckered Conskill and some other friends into playing and we've been faffing about for a couple weeks now.

I am Syeirah and Jessalyne if you spot me feel free to say hi/murder me.

Holy poo poo a ROM mud :vince:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Avendar looks interesting but I am garbage at roleplaying. It's easy enough to just not be OOC but actually writing a backstory and poo poo sounds problematic - is it one of those MUDs that punishes people for not RPing enough?

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 3, 2018

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Yes and god help you if you want to use a name that an admin thinks is common here on Earth based on their own anecdotal experience.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I can kinda see where they'd be like 'this is supposed to be an escape, your wizard name cant be greg' but also possible earth names in fantasy have been a thing for, what, twenty or thirty years now?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

It is pretty roleplay lite. They are kind of intense about naming but other than that you can be pretty loving lazy.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Peanut Butler posted:

I can kinda see where they'd be like 'this is supposed to be an escape, your wizard name cant be greg' but also possible earth names in fantasy have been a thing for, what, twenty or thirty years now?

I'm suddenly reminded of the vampire LARPers in Pratchett's Carpe Jugulum: children-of-the-night vampire "teenagers" who pretend to be accountants and stockbrokers and whatnot and change their names from things like "Salastria" to "Betty".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Edit:
This post was originally a defense of the reasonableness of Avendar's imms on names. Then they pulled that crap on a friend who had a completely reasonable name. Oh well, live and learn.

Conskill fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 3, 2018