Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

All of the intro quotes are from the first, like, six episodes except for Finn's "Gary", which was like episode 12.

For some reason I always thought that voice belonged to Kristen Schaal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I thought the audience were a little too high on the audio mix during the welfare queen episode, but it was worth it to hear the guy clearly shouting "Glad Reagan's dead!" at the end.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
They were quite a boisterous crowd in general, I was expecting Dave to tell everyone to shut the gently caress up a few times.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I really liked the crowd, it was like having a second Gareth.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
the crowds gasps of surprise were the best part of that episode

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
"No!" she said, shocked.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
HOLY poo poo THE MIXING ON THE ADS IS SO BAD, I'm adjusting my volume every 5 seconds because it goes quiet AND THEN DAVE IS RIGHT NEXT TO THE MIC

gently caress

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

HOLY poo poo THE MIXING ON THE ADS IS SO BAD, I'm adjusting my volume every 5 seconds because it goes quiet AND THEN DAVE IS RIGHT NEXT TO THE MIC

gently caress

Dave doesn't know how microphones work.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

He'd probably appreciate you pointing out the poor sound quality to him on Twitter or someplace.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I know better than that

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

rotinaj posted:

The Boston episode last night was really great, and Gareth went off on an extended tangent riff that went so long and so hard, he got a third Gary chant from us over it. Dude was on point last night. And I got a very pleasant hug from him when I bought a poster.

I'm still mad at myself for not getting tickets soon enough. The running joke about the guy with all the silk shorts he stole was hilarious. Great episode, and I think it was a sign of Gareth sort of refining himself over time. He's always been funny on the podcast but recently it's like he knows where to go from the start.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goddamn, when did they start doing a solid five minutes of ads at the beginning of the episode?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Makes me love the 30 second skip feature on beyond pod.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Guy Goodbody posted:

Goddamn, when did they start doing a solid five minutes of ads at the beginning of the episode?

do advertisers expect 2+ minute ads in episodes they sponsor or is Dave just awful at reading copy? i'm inclined to think it's the latter.

that being said, the hypnocult episode is one of the best in awhile. Gareth was very funny and the guest had some choice jokes, too.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I pretty much hate blue apron just because of every goddam podcast shilling for it. I'm glad they're sponsoring podcasts I like, but Christ.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Martian Manfucker posted:

do advertisers expect 2+ minute ads in episodes they sponsor or is Dave just awful at reading copy? i'm inclined to think it's the latter.

that being said, the hypnocult episode is one of the best in awhile. Gareth was very funny and the guest had some choice jokes, too.

They brought in ads about a month or two ago, then quickly added the promo with his kid or a second ad. It sucks because Mike Duncan at revolutions podcast just does one ad for the same poo poo for about 90-180 sec (E: razors, beds, or blue apron etc), while the dollop went from nothing to about 4min of loving around. And on top of that is tour dates.
Hell even Dan Carlin is less long winded with the ads, and that's saying something. Not complaining about free content, just commenting on you have to skip a lot at the beginning of the dollop these days, especially if you're in another country so every promo is irrelevant.
Also not complaining because at least they don't have ad breaks during the show that some podcasts do have.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 6, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm just cracking up listening to Gary learn about an increasing and seemingly infinite amount of Icelandic kissing

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm just cracking up listening to Gary learn about an increasing and seemingly infinite amount of Icelandic kissing

While everyone's covered in piss. To seem rich.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
THIS GUY.

I love that he's faking mental illness, but he's faking it to such a degree that I absolutely believe he has a mental illness. Just not whatever he was faking! Bullshit is one thing, but HOLES IN THE HEAD?!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Did I miss something, or did no one ever actually reveal what the CRB was?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I think at one point, they mention very quickly it was probably in part Potassium or Sodium, so yes it's reacting with water and giving off some burnable hydrogen but A) just a super small amount B) would eventually consume the material entirely .

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

stealie72 posted:

I pretty much hate blue apron just because of every goddam podcast shilling for it. I'm glad they're sponsoring podcasts I like, but Christ.

Literally, this is Scott Aukerman's fault. He owns the ad company that places sponsors in all the podcasts and he's the reason that every single semi-independent video or audio production that runs ads is selling razors, berries, and prepackaged groceries iirc

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
so far nothing irritates me on a podcast as much as Last Podcast On The Left's "we're literally just going to read our patreon subscribers names for 10 straight minutes", but at least they put it at the very end of the episode with nothing after it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Garth talks too much in the live shows

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Under the vegetable posted:

Literally, this is Scott Aukerman's fault. He owns the ad company that places sponsors in all the podcasts and he's the reason that every single semi-independent video or audio production that runs ads is selling razors, berries, and prepackaged groceries iirc

The more I hear about Aukerman, the less I like him.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Guy Goodbody posted:

Garth talks too much

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Under the vegetable posted:

Scott was a founding partner of Earwolf, which was just a podcast network, that merged years later with The Midroll - the ad company part - to create Midroll Media. He cashed out shortly thereafter, right before Midroll was bought out by media conglomerate E.W. Scripps.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Garth talks too much in the live shows

And Gary's new name was discovered

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I just listened to the live one about Kellogg's with Patton Oswald. Jesus Christ, I knew Kellogg was a controversial guy but I didn't knew how far it went and that a lot of his contemporaries were doing equally crazy poo poo. I laughed so hard, I got weird looks from my colleagues.

mrfart fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 11, 2017

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Sometimes when I'm listening to an episode like the Chemical Reactor Block, I start wondering why I bother working a boring desk job when it's apparently incredibly easy to just con the living poo poo out of people, and governments, across the globe, for decades, without repercussions.

The simultaneously most and least shocking part of the entire story was that that the Buckley family was taken with the thing and worried that the Dems would nationalize it.

putrid aidsman
Apr 13, 2017

by Lowtax
The hypnocult episode has an ad for an online therapy service, how bleak.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

putrid aidsman posted:

The hypnocult episode has an ad for an online therapy service, how bleak.

If those people had gotten therapy, maybe they wouldn't have culted out. :shrug:

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
The Judge Roy Bean episode is pretty great. I already knew about "the Hanging Judge of Texas", but I never heard he had a beer drinking bear in the corner of his saloon.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Genuine theory: Hypnocult lady's experience when she was four years old was sudden onset of brain damage caused by heat stroke.

Heat stroke is more dangerous for children and old people, and I think a goddamn four year old picking cotton all day qualifies as a potential heat stroke situation.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Gareth was on Lovett or Leave it this week making The Dollop bridge the gap between the dirtbag left and the resistance.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Gary go on Cum Town

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Apes-Ma posted:

The Judge Roy Bean episode is pretty great. I already knew about "the Hanging Judge of Texas", but I never heard he had a beer drinking bear in the corner of his saloon.

I'm only halfish(?)-way through this, but they should have turned Gary's mike down a little bit. Or sedated him slightly. I feel sorry for Kath Barbadoro.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the thing is that Gareth is used to doing Dollops in a soundproofed room. So when he's in front of an audience the little bit of energy he gets from them encourages him to talk a lot more and continue jokes a lot longer

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Never heard Sarah Tiana before but she sounded like she was tripping or something at first. Ok maybe he whole time but she ended up having some good lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Gareth's issue imo is that he drags out the bits for too long and also steps all over bits attempted by the guests if they're not assertive enough.