Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

Catholicism was illegal at the time (with an exception for soldiers hired from Germany, but they had their own chaplain in Copenhagen).

I suppose they could be crypto-papists, that would be pretty wild lol. But now that I think about it, a daughter in the 4th generation, the first of the family eligible to go to lutheran confirmation when it was introduced in 1736, is noted by the priest as having been recalcitrant, though it's unclear what he means. It might just be she was uncomfortable with having to learn a bunch of catechisms & stuff.

Can you check the records in Copenhagen? Would they have been willing to have secretly baptized people and such? I'm more coming from the Irish history where Catholicism was basically outlawed during English rule and you will occasionally stumble across lists of baptisms hidden in old kid's school ledgers and such as keeping such records was illegal. I also had Irish soldiers for Britain who once they left service suddenly 'converted' to Catholicism and married Irish Catholic women in the new world colonies where they were granted land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Thanks for the suggestion, but that wouldn't be possible, logistically, legally, or socially.

I got a reply from a professor of onomastics though! Turns out the name is a diminutive of a Frisian name that ultimately derives from a venacular version of Saint Vitus. Based on the ages of the people, the first person carrying the name would have come to Denmark c. 1600 at the latest, which is before all extant church records except for I think 5 parishes (they only became required in 1645, and many have been lost through the ages). Possibly he came here even several generations before that, but who knows. The pertinent area of Denmark is readily accessible from the Frisian lands by both land and sea, so it wouldn't be strange for a Frisian to end up there.

I think that pretty much wraps up this search :)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 21, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It turns out a Danish officer fought with Frisians against the Spanish in the 1580s. He came from an area very near where my guys show up (like 15 miles), so I'm thinking he brought some back.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Whoa, just came across the 1670 burial of a man "who is said to be able to change into a wolf. The same is said of his father." Sadly not related :(

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

Whoa, just came across the 1670 burial of a man "who is said to be able to change into a wolf. The same is said of his father." Sadly not related :(

Oh come on now, you can't just post about it and not show us the picture of the record :D

In unrelated news, it seems I can apply for German citizenship through my great-grandparents (they were both still German citizens when they married in America and my great-grandfather didn't naturalize until well after all his kids were born). Woo German passport here I come.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oh duh, attached here :)

Also: aber doch, wie toll!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Oracle posted:

Oh come on now, you can't just post about it and not show us the picture of the record :D

In unrelated news, it seems I can apply for German citizenship through my great-grandparents (they were both still German citizens when they married in America and my great-grandfather didn't naturalize until well after all his kids were born). Woo German passport here I come.

My German line came over too long ago for me to qualify :/
Born after 1949 but before 1975 would be my dad, but even his great grandfather was born in America, much less his dad and grandpa.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

My German line came over too long ago for me to qualify :/
Born after 1949 but before 1975 would be my dad, but even his great grandfather was born in America, much less his dad and grandpa.

Yeah that line was my most recent and only 20th century immigrants. Everyone else came at latest 1880s earliest uh... 1500s (French-Canadians and Colonists).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i wish i could help

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sweet, just got some great photos of a chandelier that was donated to a Swedish church in 1692 by a brother of my great-8 grandfather, which has an engraving mentioning my great-9 grandparents. Super fast too, I wrote them last night & got them shortly before lunch!

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

We're redoing our garden and deciding what plants to plant. We have a small dog. We're interested in planting inkberry (nkberry ilex glabra), but I've found some websites (https://www.pawsdogdaycare.com/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/inkberry) say its toxic for dogs... but it turns out like every shrub and bush is toxic for dogs. Our dog doesn't eat dropped berries, but theres a world in which she accidentally ingest something -- is this a terrible idea? Does anyone have recommendations for non-toxic shrubs/bush type plants?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Upgrade posted:

We're redoing our garden and deciding what plants to plant. We have a small dog. We're interested in planting inkberry (nkberry ilex glabra), but I've found some websites (https://www.pawsdogdaycare.com/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/inkberry) say its toxic for dogs... but it turns out like every shrub and bush is toxic for dogs. Our dog doesn't eat dropped berries, but theres a world in which she accidentally ingest something -- is this a terrible idea? Does anyone have recommendations for non-toxic shrubs/bush type plants?

fwiw the abovementioned werewolves both died from eating inkberry

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I am so confused right now.

on topic: anyone doing RootsWeb online? Work is killing me as usual.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Upgrade posted:

You might try asking in a different thread.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Carthag Tuek posted:

Sweet, just got some great photos of a chandelier that was donated to a Swedish church in 1692 by a brother of my great-8 grandfather, which has an engraving mentioning my great-9 grandparents. Super fast too, I wrote them last night & got them shortly before lunch!

that is very cool

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bilirubin posted:

that is very cool

yeah 😎

also the church is real pretty:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Love it! I would definitely church there.

In the lastest missive from my mother, I have been documented as being a direct descendant of both William of Normandy AND Charlemagne. This on top of her work tying us to Erik Fairhair and bloody Odin and I'm basically giving up on her work past say 10 generations. Its going to take years to clear up this mess.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

Love it! I would definitely church there.

In the lastest missive from my mother, I have been documented as being a direct descendant of both William of Normandy AND Charlemagne. This on top of her work tying us to Erik Fairhair and bloody Odin and I'm basically giving up on her work past say 10 generations. Its going to take years to clear up this mess.

Nod, smile, keep your own records to yourself.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ok this is HUGE news for Americans given how many people's ancestors came through Ellis Island/Castle Island etc.

Background: New York City has been a petty money grubbing bitch with regards to their records, locking them up and forcing you to go on site even when the records were digitized, charging people for access to said digitized (public!) records etc. Reclaim The Records has been (successfully!) suing them to release bits and pieces for years and now they've won a major concession.

https://twitter.com/ReclaimTheRecs/status/1503850724190351360

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

That is awesome! :woop:

e:
https://twitter.com/GraveyardSnoop/status/1504093276349026304

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 17, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I've been looking for this guy for a while, and think I may have found him in some conscription roles from a local estate. However, his age makes some odd jumps. I am fairly sure it is the same guy, as aside from hame, his place of birth is consistent as well as which farms he works on.

The young men in the rolls are divided into groups (ages 14–17, ages 18–29, and ages 30–36). This I assume to keep track of future changes in available numbers, available reservists, etc.

So my working theory is this: If drafting became possible when you reached partial age of majority at 18, it would be to his advantage to lie himself a couple years younger to postpone that (you'd have drills every Sunday, etc). Then once he was well past 18, it became better to go back to his true age of 25, as he'd reach full age of majority.

Some snags:
He married & signed a copyhold agreement at age 31 in 1756. Once a copyholder, he would leave the rolls, but he is not in the rolls 1751–1756. Possibly he could be outside the estate's jurisdiction, but that would be in breach of the Stavnsbånd unless he could get a pass from the lord of the manor. His marriage has not been found, but not all church registers from the estate's area have survived (crucially the one for the parish in which he works), so it is not easy to say where it actually happened. It would be in his wife's home parish, but I don't have any info about where she was from.

So he might have been there (but then why is he not in the rolls?) or he might have been elsewhere (but then why was he allowed a pass?).

Also it hinges on the keeper of the rolls not realizing his clever ruse...

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 24, 2022

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

I've been looking for this guy for a while, and think I may have found him in some conscription roles from a local estate. However, his age makes some odd jumps. I am fairly sure it is the same guy, as aside from hame, his place of birth is consistent as well as which farms he works on.

The young men in the rolls are divided into groups (ages 14–17, ages 18–29, and ages 30–36). This I assume to keep track of future changes in available numbers, available reservists, etc.

So my working theory is this: If drafting became possible when you reached partial age of majority at 18, it would be to his advantage to lie himself a couple years younger to postpone that (you'd have drills every Sunday, etc). Then once he was well past 18, it became better to go back to his true age of 25, as he'd reach full age of majority.

Some snags:
He married & signed a copyhold agreement at age 31 in 1756. Once a copyholder, he would leave the rolls, but he is not in the rolls 1751–1756. Possibly he could be outside the estate's jurisdiction, but that would be in breach of the Stavnsbånd unless he could get a pass from the lord of the manor. His marriage has not been found, but not all church registers from the estate's area have survived (crucially the one for the parish in which he works), so it is not easy to say where it actually happened. It would be in his wife's home parish, but I don't have any info about where she was from.

So he might have been there (but then why is he not in the rolls?) or he might have been elsewhere (but then why was he allowed a pass?).

Also it hinges on the keeper of the rolls not realizing his clever ruse...

I'm sure there's always the perennial option of outright bribery to not appear/go with it...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oh yeah, that's also possible. If his father was one of the bigger farmers, he might've been able to do that.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

THE 1950 US CENSUS IS PUBLIC!!!!

Happy Genealogy Nerd Christmas, everybody!

https://www.archives.gov/research/census/1950

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oracle posted:

THE 1950 US CENSUS IS PUBLIC!!!!

Happy Genealogy Nerd Christmas, everybody!

https://www.archives.gov/research/census/1950

Nice! Got some people to search for :D

Also I found a dude in 1755 that might be my guy. He's called "N. N. Soldier", so maybe his absence 1751–54 can be explained by him being drafter — but he has the younger age :confused:

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 1, 2022

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Found my grandparents and my uncle! My dad missed the cutoff by a few months. I didn't learn anything new besides their address but new data confirming what I already had is still important.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

gently caress yea data points are good poo poo

also it can be very interesting to look over their neighbors & compare to 1940. one of my great grandfathers was the bootstraps-pull-up-ladder type, so for me & dad it's been illuminating to actually see the places he lived through the years. according to my dad, they were always projecting "rich", but none of them was ever rich, but they sure liked to pretend. dad told me it explained a lot, seeing all the places they lived like that

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Found my mom, they butchered her name, which is lol because its generic as poo poo. Maybe my halting English-speaking great-grandma gave the info. Or the census taker was barely literate. The search worked amazingly, picked city/state and typed in our last name and the very first page was them.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ok, so the amazon machine transcription is 98% garbage so I just got lucky as hell on my first search, the rest of my family isn't showing up at all by name.

Don't rely on the transcription. Instead:

check out an address book for your city where your relatives lived (or you can go by where they last lived in the 1940 census if you're pretty sure they didn't move. Most of mine didn't doing a quick cross-reference of address book for 1956 and results for 1940 census). if this isn't the case check with a living relative (my 72 yo cousin came in very handy!)

Find their address in the address book. They're kind of weird so like 110 Main St. might be h110 Main (h is for house, a would be apt, etc, they'll be a key in the front of the address book that explains all this).

Once you've got the address, look here at the enumeration maps for 1950 for the city, state (google maps works pretty well with lining up the 1950 map if do a search for their address, assuming the house wasn't destroyed to make way for a superhighway or similar, you can still reference cross streets to get in the right general area). Try and find the enumeration number for your address, the border are kind of hard to judge at times.

Enter the enumeration number where your address is found. If that doesn't work, leave it blank hit search and page through the enumeration records til you find your number. Click on the population schedules button for that number.

Page through old school page by page watching the last names. Be aware of misspellings and faded print and the like.

So far this has worked to find most of my grandfather's sisters relatively quickly.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 3, 2022

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
I've found this website pretty helpful for figuring out enumeration districts too: https://stevemorse.org/census/unified.html

Also, this made me realize I didn't have the 1940 census for my husband's grandpa & his parents. Great grandpa was first generation Chinese American, and early documentation was inconsistent on which of two names was his surname. Searching by their address to find the ED and looking them up in the 1940 census found them, and it turns out the census taker split the difference and combined the two last name potentials for that year, which explains why it never turned up.

What's interesting is in 1930 and earlier, great grandpa and the kids were listed as Chinese while great grandma (who was from eastern Europe) was listed as white. Starting in 1940, they're all listed as white.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

That is interesting. The census led me to ancestry’s yearbooks in a roundabout way and so far I’ve found three of my great aunts senior year book pictures from the 1930s. It’s kind of crazy how strong the genes are in some lines, a lot of them look exactly like at least one of their kids, and grandkids. I also learned that girls sports is a lot older than I thought; their high school had girls basketball, tennis, swim and football (not soccer) teams. And man did they take student council seriously, like sending delegates to other schools in other cities and stuff.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

I know Graveyard Scoop irl. nice coincidence!

I'm so happy about the NYC records finally being available.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

nashona posted:

I know Graveyard Scoop irl. nice coincidence!

I'm so happy about the NYC records finally being available.

Hah, cool!

Unrelated, but similarly genealogically blessed:
https://twitter.com/HRAtkinson1/status/1512902643399725063

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

If I could only be so lucky. I mean I've lucked out, don't get me wrong, I have family lines mentioned in various ubiquitous county history books that popped up like mushrooms in the late 19th c. in America., I've managed to trace my ancestors back to the 'old country' on just about every line, and I've ran into a few old photos and letters posted on ancestry accounts, but nothing really tangible like this.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yea, same. We've been pretty good about preserving stuff in the family, though. Lots of photos, many of them with names (sigh).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Also, I'm looking into my great uncle who was buried in Singapore in May 1842. He was on a ship that is listed in papers as transporting Malwa opium in June 1842, near the end of the first opium war on August 29, 1842 (when China ceded Hong Kong to England). Wikipedia says Malwa opium was "a challenge to the monopoly of the British East India Company, which was supplying Bengal opium to China". Interesting times! Gotta read up on this more, hopefully I can find other lists of shipments.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mother has been working a little more reliably through the Swedish householders rolls, and has been learning a ton. Apparently a large number of our ancestors died in the 1834 cholera outbreak. Even way out in Dalsland. Scary stuff!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I'm stuck on all my brick walls so I'm fleshing out more of my Colonial lines.

So. Much. Endogamy. Once I get back far enough my tree starts intersecting, I have to make sure I'm not creating duplicate entries. The funnest part is where the Colonial side intersects the French-Canadian side thanks to an abduction/Indian raid! ENDOGACEPTION.

I could join Daughters of the American Revolution like ten times over at least, its at the point I'm surprised when I don't find someone who served around the time of war of independence.

There's also a lot of really lovely trees out there trying to link people to the English gentry in the 14th and 15th century. Its like they don't even look at the sources they cite. You said he was born in 1610, but the link you have matching him to his parents says born 1722. It is OBVIOUSLY NOT THE SAME PERSON.

Its also interesting how much Scottish was up in the Massachusetts Colony (which Maine was a part of up until the Missouri Compromise. History!) since they shipped a lot over after the Battle of Dunbar to get them out of England's hair. Equally interesting is how many of those 19th/early 20th century family histories commissioned by various influential families gloss over that fact and insist they're all English.

Yet another interesting ancestor, Elizabeth Heard (11th ggm) (and grandmother of abovementioned Anne Heard)

quote:

Elizabeth Heard
Native American Friend

Elizabeth Hull, daughter of Reverend Joseph Hull, was born in 1626 in England, and married Captain John Heard at York, Maine in 1642. Soon after their marriage, they settled at Dover, New Hampshire. The leader of the colonists at Cochecho (near Dover) was Richard Waldron (Walderne), an Englishman who had emigrated in 1635. In 1642, Waldron owned a large tract of land at the Lower Falls of the Cochecho River where he built a sawmill. That spot became the foundation of the settlement known as Cochecho.

In 1652, Captain John Heard had grants of land "under the Great Hill of Cocheco," and he and Elizabeth built their house on the brow of the Great Hill.

By 1666, a total of 41 families lived and worked there. Indians became a familiar sight around town when Richard Waldron opened a large trading post, but there were occasional problems with the Indians, because Waldron was not above breaking the laws that forbade selling liquor or firearms to Indians.

For over half a century following Dover's founding in 1623, the English settlers had co-existed peacefully with the local Pennacook tribe. The Indians helped the colonists to develop the fishing, hunting, and farming skills necessary to survive in New England.

The Indian chieftain, Passaconaway, was responsible for forming the Penacook confederacy, a unification of local tribes against the hostile Mohawks. Passaconaway's 50 year reign marks one of the most peaceful periods in the New Hampshire province. His son Wonalancet took over leadership of the tribe in 1665 and continued his father's peaceful ways.

In 1676, many Indians fled Massachusetts due to bloody fighting between a confederation of Indian tribes and English settlers. By September, over 400 Indians were at the Cochecho settlement. Half of them were strangers, the other half were Wonalancet's people. Two companies of Massachusetts soldiers arrived to recapture the escaping Indians. They were ready to fight the Indians, but Major Waldron intervened.

Waldron agreed that the Massachusetts Indians should be returned to Boston for punishment, but he did not want local, loyal Indians to be harmed in the process. The Indians were invited to assemble close to town for a day of war games. The unsuspecting Indians were surrounded by four militia companies who separated out the local Indians. Over 200 of the Massachusetts Indians were taken back to Boston. Some of them were hanged or sold into slavery.

Elizabeth Heard saved the life of a young Indian boy that day by concealing him until his would-be slayers had left her house, and then helped him to escape.

For the next eleven years, tensions mounted between the settlers and the Penacook Indians. The peaceful Chief Wonalancet was replaced by the warlike Kancamagus, who bitterly resented the injustices meted out by English settlers to his people. More and more land was seized from the Indians for paltry payments like a "peck of corn annually for each family."

In 1684, the Governor ordered that the meeting house at Dover be fortified against Indian attacks. Every neighborhood developed at least one fortified blockhouse where people could flee to safety if Indians attacked.

Five homes at the Cochecho settlement were garrisoned at public expense, including Elizabeth Heard's, which became known as Heard's Garrison. These five sites were chosen because of their locations on the highest knolls of the town. The garrisons were built with foot-thick squared logs impenetrable to bullets and a second story that projected over the lower story by two to three feet.

This overhang feature was designed to combat Indians who customarily attacked with fire or smoke. A loose board in the overhang could be removed in order to pour boiling water on marauders or on fires below. Each wall also had narrow slits for firearms. The garrisons were also surrounded by an eight foot palisade of large logs set upright in the ground.

The settlers at Cochecho became frightened by the large number of hostile Indians now living with the local tribe. The settlers took refuge at the blockhouse each night, and during the day, guns were kept close to hand in the fields.

Advance word that the Pennacooks were massing for an attack on Cochecho was known as far away as Chelmsford, Massachusetts. The vendetta against Waldron was described in a warning letter from Chelmsford. Waldron, aware of the tensions, reportedly laughed it off, telling his townsfolk that he could assemble 100 men simply by lifting his finger.

On the evening of June 27, 1689, several Indian women asked for shelter at each of the garrison houses, a common practice in peacetime. They were shown how to open the doors and gates in case they wanted to leave in the night. No watch was kept as all the Cochecho families retired for the night.

During the early hours, the Indian women quietly opened the gates to several hundred Pennacook. Waldron, then 74, is said to have wielded his sword in defense. He was tied to a chair and cut across the chest repeatedly as each warrior symbolically "crossed out" his trading account with the distrusted merchant. Waldron was forced to fall on his sword, the garrison was burned, and his family killed or captured.

Elder William Wentworth was guarding the Heard property while Elizabeth was away. He was awakened by a barking dog and managed to close the gates against attack. Elizabeth Heard – by then a widow – her three sons, her daughter, and their families were all returning from their voyage to Portsmouth with the dawn tide. The smell of smoke and the chilling sound of Indian cries alerted them to their peril. Mrs. Heard was so overcome with fright that she could not go on. She pleaded with her family to flee for their lives, and they left her hidden in some nearby bushes.

As daylight broke, an Indian spotted Elizabeth in the thicket. He raised his gun and aimed it at her. He stared hard at her face, then silently ran away, never revealing her to his tribesmen. In a curious twist of fate, Elizabeth Heard had saved the life of this Indian in 1676. He had never forgotten her kindness and took this opportunity to repay the favor.

Mrs. Heard remained hidden in the thicket until all the Indians had left Cochecho. She wearily returned to her home expecting to find burnt ruins. Thanks to her courageous neighbor, William Wentworth, she found her home and family intact.

Several years passed before Cochecho fully recovered. Houses and mills were rebuilt, but the loss of so many persons (about 25% of the population) was a severe blow to the settlement's prosperity. By 1700 however, the town had begun to resume its former importance. Although Cochecho was occasionally harassed by Indians, it was never again the target of so destructive a raid.

Elizabeth Hull Heard died at Dover, New Hampshire, on November 30, 1706.

SOURCES
Elizabeth Hull Heard
Native American Massacre

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Oracle posted:

I'm stuck on all my brick walls so I'm fleshing out more of my Colonial lines.

So. Much. Endogamy. Once I get back far enough my tree starts intersecting, I have to make sure I'm not creating duplicate entries. The funnest part is where the Colonial side intersects the French-Canadian side thanks to an abduction/Indian raid! ENDOGACEPTION.

I could join Daughters of the American Revolution like ten times over at least, its at the point I'm surprised when I don't find someone who served around the time of war of independence.

There's also a lot of really lovely trees out there trying to link people to the English gentry in the 14th and 15th century. Its like they don't even look at the sources they cite. You said he was born in 1610, but the link you have matching him to his parents says born 1722. It is OBVIOUSLY NOT THE SAME PERSON.

Its also interesting how much Scottish was up in the Massachusetts Colony (which Maine was a part of up until the Missouri Compromise. History!) since they shipped a lot over after the Battle of Dunbar to get them out of England's hair. Equally interesting is how many of those 19th/early 20th century family histories commissioned by various influential families gloss over that fact and insist they're all English.

Yet another interesting ancestor, Elizabeth Heard (11th ggm) (and grandmother of abovementioned Anne Heard)

Oh my god, I hate this so much. You say he lived 1767-1847, but they got married in 1859. And then the wife he married after he died lived 1770-1860, but the son you're tying them to was born in 1830. Not that a 60 year old woman can never have a baby, but it seems...unlikely.

I also hear you on DAR. I actually have joined, through an ancestor on my mom's side since I have aunts and cousins on that side who thought they might like to join. I've thought about doing supplementals for more of my ancestors, including on dad's side, but I'm lazy. At this point I think it'll be more interesting if I can find a Tory. (I'd also like to find more than one who fought for the Union in the Civil War, but given that most of my ancestors were in TN and the Carolinas at that point I'm less hopeful. It's basically only the KY branch at that point.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I’ve not only got Tories on my dads side, one was at the same battle where one of the colonial gggwhatever grandparents on my mom’s side was KIA. One could have conceivably killed the other, heh.

I have surprisingly few Civil War ancestors, mostly they were the wrong age at the time (too old, too young) or not in the U.S. yet.