Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i'll certainly be interested to see my orders. i could just rearrange and defend the town all night, or i could get shuffled out somewhere else when reinforcements arrive. eventually, if my remaining chits survive, i imagine i'll be spotting in the backfield so the enemy can't sneak people through to cut our telephone line - although brigades on a day's rest to get rid of fatigue points could perhaps do the job better. but that's all a ways off, and honestly my brigade will probably be out of the game soon enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

Saros, see to your division. I'll be around tomorrow to discuss plans as well. At the moment, I see no need to deviate from the current battle plan, but a point of contention has arisen re: 3bde's destination.

...And I really should come up with some orders for aphid, whose division arrives after this phase.

Maybe dig a bde each into Inutile and Douche to have some control over what's going on in our back field and throw the other two into the bridgehead down at G/engineer bridge that will hopefully exist by then. Then, assuming no total catastrophe, advance the two defensive brigades towards the crossings as the bridgehead forces advance north to outflank anything defending the crossings. That gives us the river line and we can move on to the next task.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 19, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The arrival of the infantry will probably be staggered like the cav right?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

not that i really need to issue this clarification, but :justpost: and all:

i did some math earlier based on trin's original update lengths - 8 turns in the day, 16 in the night - and found that there would be a 4 am update that lasted till noon. i was guessing it was a feindishly devilish method of making it harder for us to exercise command and control in the mornings.

however, at the end of last update he said this one's 24 turns and future night updates will be 12 turns. IF that and the current day update length remains unchanged, i think it works out to a 24-hour cycle of 3 day updates (0800-1130, 1200-1530, 1600-1930) and two night updates (2000-0130, 0200-0730, aside from tonight which is 2000-0730), where the last update of the day/night has a bit of twilight/pre-dawn or whatever at the end of it.

obviously all of this is subject to change and it doesn't matter much anyway

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 19, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Yeah, it was always supposed to be balanced the way it is now, and I misalculated on how long nights would be and then didn't realise until just before posting the updates.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I've received no updated orders from my division commander so I will have my brigade continue to follow their current orders though already having units inside Stethoscope is probably cause problems. Saros, we need to figure out what we want to do.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
As for 3rd Cav, I see two possibilities. First is to move out a bit, dig trenches, establish a bridgehead and ambush anyone who comes to secure the southern road.

The second is to cross the bridge, move up the river, follow the road bank west, and set up an ambush on the road that leads to the southern part of the map. This is more aggressive, but can easily lead to several problems. They could be spotted from Bois du Blob, the Vallee fucks up positioning in that part of the map, and if British infantry arrives on that road first thing in the morning, they might be able to shrug off one round of attack and use their superior numbers to wipe out the cavalry

I still lean into a defense trench covering the southern road and waiting for infantry to push an attack.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah I've thought about having cav push out to set an ambush but I think it would be better to have them dig trenches to stabilize the bridgehead first, then move out when the first infantry moves up to take over those trenches. Otherwise it's a bit lol random we might score big or we might lose the brigade for nothing. Also the cav would be cool as flankers. Infantry moves up to the crossing from our bank of the river and inititates crossing / sets up a base of fire, and then cav runs up the western bank and charges a flank. We should really focus on setting up situations where we get exchange rates of better than 1:1 because in the end that's what gets us the freedom to take territory.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I can't see what the current plans for 4th brigade are, but I would honestly go all in, send those guys to the other side as well, and push enough on the western bank to block two of the roads come day. Hopefully the British will not launch another attack right away after losing two brigades and being forced to retreat, and will be forced to play reactively instead of pushing east after seeing two brigades on their side in the morning. And if they do push east, they will run into our reinforcements, while giving the cavalry vanguard free reign.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Also, Trin, any chance we can request to deploy on the sunken road since we've secured Steth?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Bavarian Cavalry Div

2 Bde:

Move to the NW corner of Tallis douche and set up to fire upon anyone approaching Steth along the road. 2 Bde is to receive the cavalry reinforcements at 0800. At which point we will try co-ordinate an attack on Effyaders.

3 Bde:

Move to the bridge site and cross once it is completed, after that sweep BdB from south-north, hopefully any gunline in the forest will be caught from an unexpected angle. Once there dig in along the northern edge but stay inside the forest to prevent spotting, stay mounted. Consider sending a scout to the western edge of BdB to watch the approaches for arrivals.

In the morning we are going to try co-ordinate an assault on Effyaders with all three cav Bde's.

4 Bde:

Continue along the road and move to Steth. Once there at your discretion have the cavalry spend the night entrenching along (inside) the sunken road to the north before returning to the city at dawn.

Engineers:

Get that bridge up, starting when it gets dark and then start defensive works on the west side of the bridge.

Saros fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 20, 2017

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Aphid, I'll have something for you in a minute.

Trin, I just wanted to make absolutely sure. Our infantry will arrive at 0800 with one point of fatigue? Wanted to ensure my request wasn't missed.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Maybe dig a bde each into Inutile and Douche to have some control over what's going on in our back field and throw the other two into the bridgehead down at G/engineer bridge that will hopefully exist by then. Then, assuming no total catastrophe, advance the two defensive brigades towards the crossings as the bridgehead forces advance north to outflank anything defending the crossings. That gives us the river line and we can move on to the next task.

I want your first arrivals moving south, so we can get them across ASAP, be it by the bridge or, if necessary, the wired fords. Have your other two on the line, and be prepared for orders to advance. This phase will be the entire night, before you arrive, so keep in mind I might change this depending on what exactly happens.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

I want your first arrivals moving south, so we can get them across ASAP, be it by the bridge or, if necessary, the wired fords. Have your other two on the line, and be prepared for orders to advance. This phase will be the entire night, before you arrive, so keep in mind I might change this depending on what exactly happens.

Roger that. Can I get the brigade commanders of SaxonD to chime up in the thread just so I know you're all still around?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Upon reaching the town after finishing their previous set of orders the 4th brigade is to follow the below set of orders.

Brigade is to change to attack stance to facilitate movement.

Horse artillery, Brigade commander, three cavalry on the western outskirts and the three machine guns are to stay where they are.

Remaining cavalry are to move north to the designated positions shown in figure 1 and begin digging trenches along and across the sunken road. Upon completetion of the trenches cavalry outside of the town are to return to the town positions shown in figure 2.

Figure 1.

Figure 2.

Standing orders:

If sighting enemy force in attack stance within 12" Launch cavalry charge
Break off at 1/2 losses

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 20, 2017

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
To clarify, your cavalry chits in figure 2 are in the outskirts, not outside the town?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Flesnolk posted:

To clarify, your cavalry chits in figure 2 are in the outskirts, not outside the town?

Indeed the cavalry chits should all be in the outskirts, except those shown inside the town itself. If need be I could try and make a new diagram clearing things up?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
No, it'll probably be sufficient to just include wording to that effect in the orders, so Trin knows to do it during adjudication.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Will these trenches be considered "in the road" enough to get the CC bonus?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Also trenches in the road are even better. Unless that's what you plan to do.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

sniper4625 posted:

Will these trenches be considered "in the road" enough to get the CC bonus?

Flesnolk posted:

Also trenches in the road are even better. Unless that's what you plan to do.

I may have miss read Saros' map, I thought he wanted the trenches just in front of the road not in it. If he wants them in it I will re do the map to show. Though doesn't the sunken road already give cover just by being in it.?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

koolkevz666 posted:

I may have miss read Saros' map, I thought he wanted the trenches just in front of the road not in it. If he wants them in it I will re do the map to show. Though doesn't the sunken road already give cover just by being in it.?

i think trin specified that the sunken road and entrenchment bonuses stack, so you want to be entrenching exactly on the road for some multiplier larger than one of the cover

i've been assuming that means we put the chit in the road and ask it to dig, and trin will add some fancy graphics to the existing 'this is a sunken road' indicator to indicate 'this is a sunken road with entrenchments'

edit: here's the relevant part of trin's rulepost for this round:

quote:

The sunken road

On the right of the map is the Chemin Creux, a sunken road. A company located on the Chemin Creux has spotting and protective cover. If an Entrenchment is dug inside the Chemin Creux, it gives additional protection, and blocks other units from moving along the road at their usual movement rate.

inside the CC, he says

---

also let me just copy paste an arrangement i made for defense before kev's brigade shows up, along with related questions, from the roll20:

so for a decent defensive position with my chits, is that about how it'd go? do i want cav in the outskirts? they'll be dismounted, so infantry rules.

should the AH be more protected or do i want it to have the maximum range of fire?

and does the billy bonus MG situation look right

also, if they're dismounted cavalry, will they automatically entrench on turns where they're defending?

edit: this is relevant for kev as well, as is the question of whether he should dismount or not. i don't really understand the mechanics but i know 2bde got eaten up when they lost the initiative roll and recieved a charge mounted in stethoscope (albeit with worse positioning). that would presumably affect your standing orders about charging too, i bet we don't want dismounted cavalry to spend a turn getting in their horses because they're supposed to charge someone

editeditedit: and in kev's orders he uses the word 'infantry' - i take that to mean we're going with dismounted. maybe you should specify in the orders to travel as cavalry and dismount when they reach their destination?

and should i include orders to get out of the way when kev shows up?

what should those be? help entrench? fill in some defensive perimeter? how about if i extend the perimeter south and get a little bit of entrenchment on the CC south of steth?

now that's quality internet content

editedited: oh and also, saros you say i'll be receiving the reinforcements - does that mean 2bde's getting more chits in the next 24 hours? i had assumed the reinforcements would be a separate, full brigade, but i hadn't been paying much attention

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 20, 2017

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I've changed all mentions of infantry to cavalry, I have no idea if I am supposed to dismount so until told to do so I will stay mounted.

I mean as far as I can tell cavalry still shoot with rifles and dig trenches. The only bonus I can see for dismounting is that you are harder to spot and if you have cover then being cavalry or foot infantry doesn't matter at all.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

trin's post on this in his original rulepost in this thread says 'treated as infantry'

quote:

Cavalry companies may be ordered to dismount at the cost of half their movement; they are then treated as infantry until they remount (at the same cost). Do you want to launch a bold cavalry charge, or dismount and ambush the enemy with firepower?

and in the order of combat, infantry come before cavalry (although stationary inf/cav fire before moving inf/cav), and if 'treated as infantry' means dismounted cavalry get to jump a spot in the order of combat, that could be a huge bonus, especially since it would give us a jump on cavalry and there seems to be a lot of cav on the map right now

here are the trin ruleposts im citing, for the dismount quote and the order of combat explanation respectively, linked from jaguars!'s post with rules and poo poo from a page ago that i'll go link after i copy paste these:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=469244571

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=469265445

in summary i think 'treated as infantry' is a good attribute to have to defend a town/road in the night

also if i go down to the S part of the town after you show up, we can put more firepower on the W side. would you like to have my AH on the SW corner of the town, where you've got some cavalry right now? we could extend your formation using my chits on the W face of the town, and i could have one or two cav going down CC digging trenches to the S

edit: yeah, this is the best single place i've seen for figuring the rules yet:

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 20, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

THIS POST SUPERSEDED BY EVENTS, i'll keep it around but maybe shrink it a lil bit so it isn't annoying to scroll past

===2 Bde ORDERS===
I believe my orders last turn were to dismount the brigade; if they aren't already dismounted, dismount them. I don't think anybody needs to move farther than 8" in any turn, anyway. They should be creating entrenchments automatically whenever they're in one spot in Defend for enough turns, but I thought I'd say it anyway.
Always remain in cover at all times - within the town, the outskirts, or the sunken road
Until koolkev's brigade arrives in Stethoscope:
arrange in the following positions and resume Defend stance:
Figure 1

When koolkev's brigade arrives in Stethoscope:
HQ will assist in directing traffic.They and the other chits will connect with koolkev's southern flank by assuming a formation like this one, taking up Defense stance, keeping the HQ inside the town but within 8" of the southernmost chit:
Figure 2

Everybody needs to dig in at your locations until an entrenchment is completed there.
==BEGIN CONDITIONAL===
IF, at the moment the above is completed, no enemy troops are spotted by our or the neighboring brigade (on the necessary delay):
Complete the entrenchment of the section of the sunken road occupied by 2 Bde, going into Attack stance if necessary, then resume the positions of Figure 2 and Defense stance.
IF, at any point during entrenchment, an enemy is spotted by our or the neighboring brigade (on the necessary delay):
Step behind the nearest entrenchment in the sunken road and assume Defense stance. Afterwards, return to entrenching if nobody is spotted in the next two turns.
==END CONDITIONAL==
Standing Orders:
When sighting an enemy 12" or less away on Attack stance: Halt and switch to Defend orders
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break Off automatically when: 2/3 casualties are taken

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 20, 2017

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
When deploying your men for entrenchment, please spread them out.

A company of riflemen produces entrenchment below itself, and 1" to each side. That means ~3" per chit or ~40" for a full Cavalry Brigade. Just tell them to spread out for maximum entrenchment and Trin will do it like that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Guys, do you want the enemy wire removed, new wire laid, or trenches dug?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'd personally like your mounted engineers, once they're done with the bridge, to build defences on the other side to make it harder for any BEF counteroffensive to take it. Wire, maybe some trenches, that kind of thing. From there I'm less sure, follow 3bde or return to our side of the river?

Your foot engineers we can come up with orders for closer to when they arrive.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

aphid_licker posted:

Roger that. Can I get the brigade commanders of SaxonD to chime up in the thread just so I know you're all still around?

Still around, still observing.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Flesnolk posted:

I'd personally like your mounted engineers, once they're done with the bridge, to build defences on the other side to make it harder for any BEF counteroffensive to take it. Wire, maybe some trenches, that kind of thing. From there I'm less sure, follow 3bde or return to our side of the river?

Your foot engineers we can come up with orders for closer to when they arrive.

I'm expecting a division of BEF infantry to arrive next to that bridge during the night. Might be best to not leave the engineers over the stream for too long.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Hey yeah Koolkzev/4bde please dig your trenches in the sunken road not in front of it as it produces an extra bonus.

2bde you were ordered to positions in the Tallis Douche forest, however if you want to entrench overnight do it in a line between stethoscope and the forest as digging out the southern sunken road is completely not necessary. Once the trench is complete move along to the Forest positions.

Cav Eng I am leaving it up to your discretion how to do the defensive works, ideally some trenches first. Once it's daylight I will probably want you to remove the wire over the southern ford. After that we will see.

Saros fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 20, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ENGINEERS

Carry on with existing orders re. bridge AFTER NIGHTFALL

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 20, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

ENGINEERS

Carry on with existing orders re. bridge AFTER NIGHTFALL

After finishing construction, move back to the known position of 3rd brigade HQ or to any of its other companies if they are immediately visible.

Follow 3rd brigade across the river and further, until it comes to a halt.

Erect two lengths of wire along pictured lines, or if the pictured position interferes with troops, build it immediately north of the brigade's defensive line.

If at any point you lose contact with cavalry or fail to establish contact, proceed with the wire construction on your own, crossing the river by the new bridge.

Stein this is not at all what I ordered, construct defenses to defend the bridge crossing not within gun range of the northern wood! Your Engineers will get shot down! Also barbed wire only impedes enemy troops (not friendly) and you carry a limited quantity which is why I specified trenches first because we don't even know if we are going to use the position.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You said ideally some trenches first, nothing decisive. Literally the only thing I can go on is a roll20 map where the cavalry is pictured stationed along there, there is no other indication where they should be and what they should defend, and it makes no sense to randomly dig trenches in parts of map where nobody is going to be because the single brigade is not robust enough to make use of fall back lines. I will update this once I can actually see what the 3rd brigade intends to do.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I'm avoiding being super specific because people complained about that last time but your current orders have them following a Cav Bde in the dark as it assaults an unknown number of enemies in a forest and then moving out into the open inside range of enemy guns where they will just be shot down. The Cav Bde is not even establishing a proper position it is merely hiding in the forest as a staging measure for an assault on Effayders in the morning in conjunction with our other cavalry.

Whatever you do just please stay out of range of Foret de Effyaders and its night so precision orders like 'stop outside range' are not reliable. Try not to build any wire or anything outside BdB either as we want to remain unobserved if at all possible.

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 20, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

sorry Saros i saw that arrow in your post but I confused myself and am dumb. edited to send them to the taillis after kev shows up:

===2 Bde ORDERS: FINAL===

I believe my orders last update were to dismount the brigade; if they aren't already dismounted, dismount them, just for clarity's sake.They should be creating entrenchments automatically whenever they're in one spot in Defend for enough turns, but I thought I'd say it anyway.

Always remain in cover at all times - within the town, the outskirts, or the sunken road. Aside from when you're digging the entrenchments on the way to the Taillis, more on that a few inches down.

Until koolkev's brigade arrives in Stethoscope:

arrange in the following positions and resume Defend stance:

Figure 1

When koolkev's brigade arrives in Stethoscope:

HQ will contact incoming troops and help them find their way as much as possible, but within the same turn as kev enters the town 2bde needs to begin entrenching a line connecting the outskirts of Stethoscope where the western road leaves the city to the Taillis Douche, the brown line in Figure 2. Once the entrenchments along the brown line are complete, assume Defensive stance in the positions in Figure 2, making sure to stay in cover inside the forest or in the entrenchment directly adjacent to the forest and NOT in open ground.

Figure 2

Once you reach your final destination, dig in at your locations until an entrenchment is completed there.

Standing Orders:
When sighting an enemy 12" or less away on Attack stance: Halt and switch to Defend orders
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
Break Off automatically when: 2/3 casualties are taken

-------

i hope that positioning isn't godawful, i still don't know much about it. learn as you go, muddle through, etc. etc. i suppose! trying to give the AH and MG useful ranges of fire and have eyes looking south, but i really don't have many chits. whatever, i'm a speed bump anyway

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 20, 2017

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

mossyfisk posted:

====================ORDERS====================

Bavarian Cavalry Division, 3rd Brigade: Orders for issue on Turn 17

Take the following Defensive positions in Stethoscope. (If you're already on Defence, ignore this). If you spot an approaching enemy force of more than 6 companies, remain in Defence until they are gone.

Form up in Battle Order Formation facing south, then ride south down Chemin Creux to the junction.

Once this is done, advance a short distance west to have a look, cut back north behind Taillis Douche and enter the forest trying to remain hidden. Adopt the specified formation and assume a Defensive stance. If you can't dig holes while on a horse, dismount and do so.

(doesn't have to be 100% obviously, just make sure everyone is in cover, that MGs have Billy Bonus and decent views, and that the Horse Artillery is touching the forest edge in the bottom corner and therefore able to shoot out. If using the corner to see both ways is pushing it, point it West)

CONDITIONAL ORDER
If all the engineers die, just stay here and await further orders
END CONDITIONAL ORDER

Upon nightfall (Turn 24), you are to mount up, form into Battle Order formation within the forest, facing south. Then advance directly South for one hour (2 turns), then face west and advance directly West for half an hour (1 turn) - if you're too far to see a river/bridge then try going a little closer. Do not, I say again, DO NOT ride into a river.
Halt movement and adopt a Defensive stance. Again, dismount if that is required to entrench.

CONDITIONAL ORDER
If the engineers die (if you can't tell, wait for turn 42) and you are not engaged in combat, then about face, and head East to Chemin Creux. Spread out to fill the road South of Stethoscope and keep your heads down.
END CONDITIONAL ORDER

Once there is a complete bridge in front of you, get on your horses and cross it. Then charge North West into the forest and look for trouble. Obviously you might get lost in the dark - do try to avoid this.

Following this, move to the indicated location (if you can find it), assume a Defensive posture, and adopt the following formation.

(You get the idea, box formation with squishy bits on the inside. Adjust for whatever men are left)

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy 12" or less away on Attack stance: Turn and move directly towards enemy
When attacking the enemy: Launch a Cavalry Charge
Break Off automatically when: Fight to the last man

Battle Order Formation

====================END OF ORDERS====================

Keep doing this, and once you've finished all of it get off your horses.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Thanks OTF, you should be back up to full strength in the morning. For positioning that is fine, you want to keep units condensed so they can provide mutual support and MG can generally fire through friendly units.

Mossy can you have your division stay in the northern part of BdB and consider peeling off a cav company for watching to the west. I want eyes on the road/western approaches where reinforcements are likely to arrive from and at 0800 we are hopefully back up to 3 bde's so I want to co-ordinate a multi directional attack on Forest de Effayaders.

Saros fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 20, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Are we in adjudication right now? the world wonders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Fast adjudication good adjudication.

• Locked thread