Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

america rules as do big engines :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

What the hell?
Who cares what size. Ride a bike, have fun.
Jeebuz!

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 4, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Anyone who believes small bikes suck has insecurities and probably thinks being really enthusiastic about bacon is a suitable replacement for a personality.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

bacon is haraam

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

puberty worked me over posted:

Agreed! Took the XT out today and had a blast even if most people think it's a small slow bike.

Thanks these look pretty cool. Played around with Rally Navigator (no iPhone) a bit and it kinda works but unfortunately you can't pop in roll chart info and have the application go through it. Everything has to be created using their GPS application which is less than ideal especially when you can't see single track under tree cover.

Found this though MDR Rally Roadbook which will import Roadbook Editor exported PDFs

Still not quite ideal though because you need to have a laptop handy. I think it shouldn't be too hard to develop an app with these simple objectives so I may take a crack at it:

1.) GPS odometer
2.) Ability to add and subtract from the odometer by 0.1 km/m
3.) Create roll charts on-site via the app by entering each entry for distance, direction, and notes
4.) Ability to tap on the bottom half of the screen to advance to the next direction or tap on the top half to go back one direction

With those objectives complete the next would be being compatible with these bluetooth Blitz Buttons:

and the ability to automatically advance or go back a step based on the odometer variable.

Do it! That would be awesome.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I checked out the specs for that Guzzi, how did they manage to get that little power out of the engine? 52hp from 744cc? And it weighs 209kg?

Extraordinary

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

knox_harrington posted:

I checked out the specs for that Guzzi, how did they manage to get that little power out of the engine? 52hp from 744cc? And it weighs 209kg?

Extraordinary

Hahah, then you should check the Triumphs :D

alr
May 14, 2009
A friend of mine has a W800 which is pretty similar spec-wise. Low compression ratio and low redline, it was weird riding a bike with the same rpm as a car

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Hahah, then you should check the Triumphs :D

Triumph: Bonneville T100 - 900cc - 54hp; Scrambler - 865cc - 54hp

Also Triumph: Daytona 675 - 675cc - 123hp

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(I know they're tuned for different applications)

alr posted:

A friend of mine has a W800 which is pretty similar spec-wise. Low compression ratio and low redline, it was weird riding a bike with the same rpm as a car

My brother has a Harley FXR from the 80s and I think the redline is somewhere in the mid 5ks, but you can also take off from a stop without giving it any throttle. I don't find it comforting to ride, but that may just be because I haven't put that many miles on it.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 30, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

Extraordinary

Power is just a number arrived at through an equation. A cbr600 has similar horsepower to a bandit 1200 but very different character as they're designed to do very different jobs, hp:cc is just one way to evaluate an engine and not the be all end all.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

The engine is one of the best things about the guzzi, yes its low power and slow, but torque is pretty good and I liked the "character" of the engine (exhaust note, especially with aftermarket mufflers... the way it kinda twitches to the side when you rev it in neutral because of the transverse mounting). Paired with the gearing it also was very comfortable on the interstate, turning at just over 4k RPMs at 70mph... the V7III is probably even better since they added a 6th gear.

If you want to pick on something, pick on the gear box. Its the worst, its unforgivably bad... I hear its gotten better with the V7III vs the V7, but on mine it was clunky and unpredictable AT BEST... no telling if you're going to get any feedback clicking into gear, or you get nothing, or maybe you get a false neutral, or a real one going from 1st to 2nd...

When riding on a warm day in traffic it gets a thousand times worse. I've heard some different theories as to why this happens, is it the nature of the gearbox itself heating up, vs the clutch cable heating up and expanding (its routed BETWEEN THE loving CYLINDER HEADS, because where else would they route it with it mounted like that) but the end result is it can be extremely unpredictable to shift, and finding neutral becomes almost impossible... Not a fun experience, sitting in traffic on a hot day, with a hot bike, and you can't loving find neutral to give your hand a loving break.

The aftermarket exhausts actually helped things quite a bit, the catalytic converters in the stock exhausts would get incredibly hot, removing them makes for a much nicer experience all around... I had thought about removing the tank and wrapping the cable in some kind of insulating material, like heat tape or some foam or something. The Guzzi forums suggest checking to make sure the clutch cable is adjusted properly and suggest aftermarket levers that allow for adjustment, but if the cable does stretch that much, it makes finding a "sweet spot" where the cable works both "cold" and "hot" difficult. I never bothered messing with it.

Anyway, I'm talking about it in the past tense because I took it to a consignment shop yesterday for them to sell. It was a fun bike and I don't regret owning it, but I want to give track riding a shot and want something more spirited, with an adjustable suspension and a slipper clutch oh and some more power would be nice please.

If Guzzi could keep the V7 design and engine, but totally replace the gearbox and offer adjustable suspension (oh yeah the stock suspension is surprisingly stiff and will really beat you up on even a short ride) I might buy one in the future.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ADINSX posted:

If Guzzi could keep the V7 design and engine, but totally replace the gearbox and offer adjustable suspension (oh yeah the stock suspension is surprisingly stiff and will really beat you up on even a short ride) I might buy one in the future.

So, the V7iii has a new 6 speed gear box and the 'Racer' has adjustable suspension :D

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

And it's going to take a while to wipe of the huge grin I have on my face now. (Picked it up one hour ago).

Edit: Had to go for one more ride:

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 31, 2019

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Hey thread. I love classic style bikes and I recently came across this BMW R75 for sale for a probably too-good price and I'm going to go take a look at it in a couple of days. I see them around town all the time and I've been lusting after one of my own for a bit, although it's hard to tell what kind of shape this one is in from the pictures. I would reattach all of the stock parts (lights, signals, mud guards, mirrors for sure, and probably the original seat)

I've been riding my little Rebel 250 for about a year and I would really like to at least test ride one of these, but is there anything obviously stand-out hosed about the bike that someone with better eyes than me can see? I have a buddy who is a mechanic but he lives about two hours away and I don't know if I could get him down to look at it with me.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
On the outside I don't see anything crazy. I would check around the heads more and see if they are leaking oil, I'm not sure if it's a specific pain point for those bikes, I'd also look closer at the forks and make sure they aren't leaking. If you do take it for a test ride, see if it was washed or sprayed down just before you got there, it's generally a sign that the fluids that are supposed to be inside, are getting out. When/if you take for the test ride, get it out there and get it good and hot, nothing like someone cleaning it and sticking higher viscosity oil in it for a short test drive, only to have things leaking everywhere the first time you get it up to temp.

It looks like there's the original parts too, if the price wasn't too bad and you're willing to spend the time on it I'd tell you to go for it. Though there are other folks here way more familiar with older BMWs than myself that might have a better idea.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
He wants $2k for it, which is a great deal cheaper than others I've seen in similar condition, but it could also be too good a price.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Heath posted:

Hey thread. I love classic style bikes and I recently came across this BMW R75 for sale for a probably too-good price and I'm going to go take a look at it in a couple of days. I see them around town all the time and I've been lusting after one of my own for a bit, although it's hard to tell what kind of shape this one is in from the pictures. I would reattach all of the stock parts (lights, signals, mud guards, mirrors for sure, and probably the original seat)

I've been riding my little Rebel 250 for about a year and I would really like to at least test ride one of these, but is there anything obviously stand-out hosed about the bike that someone with better eyes than me can see? I have a buddy who is a mechanic but he lives about two hours away and I don't know if I could get him down to look at it with me.

:ninja: are you in Boulder?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
No, but close by.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is that a loving wooden seat?

Anyhow, I think it’s priced a little high for an 83k, 45 year old, been basically sitting for a few years bike. But BMW does cost for the name. I would never make that my only bike, but it could be fun to tinker with and do weekend rides up in the foothills. Or hell, daily it. There’s a dude in Fort Collins riding one of those every day, wearing his period correct goggles and 3/4 helmet, bomber jacket, and tall boots.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There's a couple of them in FoCo. I see that guy all the time and my jealousy runs deep. His is in perfect shape. There's another guy with a sick R 80 with the hardshell saddlebags and a windshield.

And yeah I don't know what the deal is with the seat. It's a very weird bike but it would be fun to tinker around with. I mostly use my Rebel for daily riding to work and back, so this would be the same.

Edit: I remembered I took a picture of it at one point:

Heath fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 22, 2019

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

If you do buy it please reassemble it...

My main concern is the previous owner is someone who thought all of those "mods" were a good idea... seriously, is that a wooden seat?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Heath posted:

There's a couple of them in FoCo. I see that guy all the time and my jealousy runs deep. His is in perfect shape. There's another guy with a sick R 80 with the hardshell saddlebags and a windshield.

And yeah I don't know what the deal is with the seat. It's a very weird bike but it would be fun to tinker around with. I mostly use my Rebel for daily riding to work and back, so this would be the same.

Edit: I remembered I took a picture of it at one point:

If that’s the one that’s often parked in front of a small tattoo shop, I pass it a bunch and always stop and look for a minute. No customizing, just a well maintained old bike. The older cafe racer guy parks on campus a bunch and I have to stop and ogle it every time I pass too. He’s got some weird poo poo on the dash like pressure gauges or old chronometers or something. I may have posted it in the pictures thread in the past.

Anyhow, I see a lot of those around, and I think there’s a club of grey beards here. Could be a good resource if you do pick it up.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'll do a trip report when I see it in person, if for no other reason to discuss the injury dealt to my balls by the wooden seat. I'm pretty confident I could talk him down a bit on the price. He said the odometer may not be recording correctly, but I'm not sure how much of an issue that is with a bike that old.

Here's that R80 RT

Heath fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 22, 2019

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, that is very hot.

Found the one I was thinking of.

These are its gauges. :haw:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Trip report:

Went and saw the bike last night. The guy seemed to live just a few minutes outside of Boulder, but it turns out he was in the fuckin' mountains because it was basically a straight climb up for two miles once I left the city. Much more dramatic than the relatively calm ascent into the Foothills outside of Fort Collins. I wasn't feeling confident about actually riding it since there was a ton of gravel on the roads and very steep hills and the idea of being on a 45 year old untested bike wasn't too appealing, so I didn't get to actually ride it. It is definitely a project bike, and the amount of stuff I would have had to do to it to make it look like a proper BMW would have been pretty intense. The seat was indeed wood, but was surprisingly not bad to sit on (though, again, didn't ride it more than a couple feet in the driveway.) I will admit there was some charm to it, but if I wanted a cafe style bike I would probably just get something smaller. It did run nicely though, started right up without issue.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Hi all, Im a new rider, going through the driving school here, so ive got a written exam that ive passed, and now going through my 6 hours of mandatory driving classes, so ive already been in traffic and done slow slalom and swerving and all that jazz that Will Be tested in the final test next week. Theres a handling exam in a closed area and a driving exam then in the city traffic.

I know the suggested bike is a ninja 250, but those are actually pretty rare here it seems. Also the bike im riding in driving school is a Honda CB650F. Im a 188cm fatty fat fat, so ive been looking at 600cc bikes, so far suzuki gs and honda cb Look good. Im enamored with Moto Guzzis but a V7 is a bit outside My budget. Would I be fine with a 600cc already or should i stick with a smaller one first?

Things im looking forward to doing with the bike is commuting in the city, and doing long tours. My dad has been riding harleys for a while now and has done multiple cross europe trips now and i would like to join him on those.

Dont really want a harley for my self lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

you'll be fine on a 600 if you're fat

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah if you're like 250lb and up then sure, low strung 650 class is probably fine.

Get something with two cylinders and 650cc, not four cylinders and 600.

also if you're not in America there will probably be a much larger 400 and 500 range that you should be looking at too

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Alright thanks! I like the way Honda CB, Suzuki GS and Kawasaki ER look, are those good for starters?

Noted with the 400 CC and 500 CC

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Alright thanks! I like the way Honda CB, Suzuki GS and Kawasaki ER look, are those good for starters?

Noted with the 400 CC and 500 CC

Pretty much anything within your cc range will be fine as long as it's got two cylinders or less. Cb650 is an exception as Honda went out of their way to make a weaksauce i4 as a point of difference against the competing models which are twins across the board. Gs650's are also a weak friendly i4 but the suspension is really poo poo if you're at all heavy so I'd avoid those.

Also consider a 600-ish single like an xt or duke, they tend to have beefy trail orientated suspension, excellent engine response at safe speeds and have no trouble pulling sick wheelies!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Pretty much anything within your cc range will be fine as long as it's got two cylinders or less. Cb650 is an exception as Honda went out of their way to make a weaksauce i4 as a point of difference against the competing models which are twins across the board. Gs650's are also a weak friendly i4 but the suspension is really poo poo if you're at all heavy so I'd avoid those.

Also consider a 600-ish single like an xt or duke, they tend to have beefy trail orientated suspension, excellent engine response at safe speeds and have no trouble pulling sick wheelies!

Something like a Bandit 600 or Seca/Diversion 600 would be reasonable for 600 4-cyl, but there are better bikes to own for a newer rider.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010
I'm taking my MSF course this weekend and taking two days off next week to deal with DMV and some shopping around for my first motorcycle. I'm currently in New York City and looking for something mostly for city commuting that can also handle weekend trips upstate and possibly some occasional longer trips. Dealerships in the area recommended the Honda Rebel 500 and the Kawasaki Vulcan S but I wanted to get takes on both of those bikes and other possible commuter bikes that might fit the bill.

Anyone currently riding those? Pros/cons, especially for a new rider? My back won't handle the sport bike tuck well so that kind of rules out the common Ninja recommendation I think.

Also, if any other New York City goons have advice for riding and maintaining a bike in the city, I welcome it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The Ninja 250/EX250 is a standard in spite of the looks. Incredibly comfy ergos. I did a 7000 mile trip on a stock one and was comfy, even on 700 mile days.

Do you want a cruiser? Cruisers are not as comfortable as standards to ride. I think that the bike dealerships just had a bunch of unsold Vulkans and Rebels and were taking advantage of your lack of knowledge.

The new rebel 500 is a fine motorcycle but you would be better served by an EX250 or a Dual Sport.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 4, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Coydog posted:

The Ninja 250/EX250 is a standard in spite of the looks. Incredibly comfy ergos.

This is something I want to reinforce because I can remember what I thought about motorcycles before I was riding them myself; I don't think ergonomics or riding characteristics are something the uninitiated think about; I know I didn't.

I was sure that I was going to ride cruisers until I owned a few different bikes. While I'm still sold on a lot of the aesthetic or, I dunno, cultural signifiers of cruisers, I'd have to be on something like a Triumph Boneville instead of a Harley Sporster or Honda Shadow.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm 6'1” and my Rebel is pretty short. I can ride it just fine, but I can flat foot it with my knees bent at 80°. Any future bikes I get will have to be taller.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

I was sure that I was going to ride cruisers until I owned a few different bikes. While I'm still sold on a lot of the aesthetic or, I dunno, cultural signifiers of cruisers, I'd have to be on something like a Triumph Boneville instead of a Harley Sporster or Honda Shadow.

That was kind of the camp I was in when I first started looking. I've got no riding experience to use to compare how any of them ride and I like that aesthetic but its not a deal breaker.

Otherwise I'm focused on something that is going to be comfortable enough to ride that I'm going to want to ride it all the time, even when I'm not using it for to and from work.

Regarding the dual sport recommendations:
Are there any specific beginner friendly dual sports you can recommend? I want to spend some time hitting dealerships and sitting on a bunch of bikes.

I'm also going to give the ninja a proper look now that I've got that sport tuck notion out of my mind.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Everyone wants bike X when they are getting into riding and changes their mind to bike Y when they get some riding experience. Unless they started out wanting bike Z which is a supermoto. Then they will happily keep it for years.

I started out wanting a ducati 998. Turns out I don't want anything like that.

That's why we recommend the cheap and versitile ninja, or the sample everything dual sport/sumo.

edit: I heartily recommend the WR250x/r , or the DR650 for your dual sport or sumo

Coydog fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I’m in NYC. Just buy a ninja 250. You can’t go fast in the city anyway. Let me know if you need help checking out a bike.

There’s no love lost between NYPD and motorcycles. Sign up here to get text alerts of the moto only checkpoints and you’ll be fine if you do get stopped and are polite. http://www.nymstf.org/cas/

Make sure your registration and inspection are up to date on your bike. They’ll tow for the former and ticket for the latter.

Don’t ever leave anything with knobby tires uncovered. You can park lots of bikes on the street but any supermoto, knobby tires or very expensive sport bike is going to get stolen. If you get a dual sport, get a cover and never leave it uncovered or, ideally, a parking garage. Also comprehensive with a low deductible.

Don’t buy new. Your bike is going to get knocked over and beat up.

ACF-50 all over except your brake pads if you ride in the winter and it’ll protect against salt.