Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Eezee posted:

I very much enjoyed the ensemble, but in season 6 I pretty much only liked Rob and it was great. Thanks though.

The better question would have probably been what seasons people didn't enjoy at all.

Gabon, Redemption Island (I personally liked it, but I'm in the minority on that), South Pacific, and Fiji come to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eezee posted:

So I have never watched an episode of Survivor until a couple of weeks ago and I'm making my way through some old seasons.
I'm on Season 7 now and Johnny loving Fairplay just faked his Grandmothers death :psyduck:

I can't even decide if that's the worst or the best play ever. I have no idea how that guy ever made it this far, but I hope there are people just as weird in the later seasons.

I think thats kind of the natural reaction. Like at that time it was basically considered the most evil thing and Johnny was considered the biggest villain. I wasn't watching and even I knew about it. But over time it's basically inspired a completely different kind of player and fanbase of villains including one of the most controversial players ever.

And like in the inverse Rupert was kind of the kind of player that was loved at the time but has become absolutely hated since. The Evolution of Survivor.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Eezee posted:

I very much enjoyed the ensemble, but in season 6 I pretty much only liked Rob and it was great. Thanks though.

The better question would have probably been what seasons people didn't enjoy at all.

Rob does a Survivor podcast that's excellent!

Edit: Nicaragua is garbage, Blood vs. Water 2 is not good, South Pacific is boring but the winner is great, Gabon has a really lame winner to an overall decent season, Redemption Island is bad, and One World also is poo poo. Vanuatu is one of my all time faves mainly because the Final Tribal is a masterwork by the winner.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 15, 2017

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Celery Jello posted:

Gabon, Redemption Island (I personally liked it, but I'm in the minority on that), South Pacific, and Fiji come to mind.

Gabon is top 10 though :confused:

It's a weird season, but the cast is all very memorable, the plot lines pay off in a big way, I'm super into it.

Lost Canyoneer
Nov 1, 2009
I'm probably in a minority of one, but I've watched every season and enjoyed them all.

Some are great, and some are just okay, but in my opinion if you like Survivor you might enjoy any given season.

As for winners, that's another story. I think it's entirely possible to have a great season with a crappy winner, and vice versa.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I think the China/Gabon/Tocantins/Samoa/Heroes vs Villains was the best 5 season stretch in the game's history.

I'd honestly watch whatever season had the tribes divided by race to see pretty much a perfect winner.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Eezee posted:

Is there some kind of guide of what seasons are worth watching? 34 seasons is a lot and I'm sure that not all of them have a cast that's as great as Pearl Islands.

I think this list is pretty good (spoiler free):
http://robhasawebsite.com/survivor-seasons-rankings-results-live-sept-22-2015-s31/

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Lost Canyoneer posted:

I'm probably in a minority of one, but I've watched every season and enjoyed them all.

Some are great, and some are just okay, but in my opinion if you like Survivor you might enjoy any given season.

As for winners, that's another story. I think it's entirely possible to have a great season with a crappy winner, and vice versa.

Same here; I had seen a handful of seasons as they aired but I did a full marathon a few years back and even the clunkers were worthwhile as far as seeing the game evolve.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

STAC Goat posted:

And like in the inverse Rupert was kind of the kind of player that was loved at the time but has become absolutely hated since. The Evolution of Survivor.

It's interesting because Rupert has moments in Pearl Island where you can see he might be a bit of a douche, but he fit the theme of the season so perfectly, he was great on Pearl Islands. Afterwards though he was always kind of a baby.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also it's funny that Hali's amazing anagram skills basically caused Varner to miss the jury for the third and final time.

Game Changer!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Tocantins ows if only for ~*~The Dragon Slayer~*~

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think Fiji and Gabon get a bad rap. Gabon had questionable gameplay but insane entertainment value, and post merge Fiji is peak survivor.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Propaganda Machine posted:

I think Fiji and Gabon get a bad rap. Gabon had questionable gameplay but insane entertainment value, and post merge Fiji is peak survivor.

I agree with Fiji. It's one of my favorite seasons. The gimmick was stupid, but the strategy was good. It also has one of the best tribal councils ever.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
I've gone back and forth on Zeke for one and a half seasons, but I adore him after reading his Hollywood Reporter essay.

quote:

Playing with rookies was one thing, but playing alongside my Survivor heroes in a season called Survivor: Game Changers was quite another. It was like waking up in Westeros, Lord Zeke of the Mustache Lands, fighting to claim the Iron Throne. But instead of flying dragons with Daenerys Targaryen, Mother of Dragons, I trailed Ozzy, Master of Spear Fishing, out to the reef, dove down and watched him catch fish. Tai, the Chicken Whisperer, and I killed three chickens together. Debbie, the Woman with an Infinite Number of Jobs, told me about all of her jobs.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm not a fan of Zeke as a player, but there's still the whole post-merge game left.

Also I like Gabon well enough, because all the villians get a satisfying comeuppance. Shame about Matty though.

I like Tocantins when I watched it if only because of the J.T. run, but if I'm gonna rewatch it I'll need to fast forward whenever Coach opens his mouth.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm not a fan of Zeke as a player, but there's still the whole post-merge game left.

Also I like Gabon well enough, because all the villians get a satisfying comeuppance. Shame about Matty though.

I like Tocantins when I watched it if only because of the J.T. run, but if I'm gonna rewatch it I'll need to fast forward whenever Coach opens his mouth.

Love or hate Coach, the last episode before finals, when he gets the boot, is just so good. the editors went bananas with Coach going full Coach.

Also, now that we have a newbie to the show posting actively, can we not be assholes and put post-Pearl island spoiler rules into effect to a reasonable extent?

Thanks, guys :shobon:

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
As long as people don't outright spoil a winner of previous season I'm happy with anything. :)

Finished Pearl Island and I'm so happy that Fairplay didn't win. That would have been pretty terrible. Unfortunately they couldn't do a live reveal of the fake death. It would have been great to see the initial reactions of the cast members to that news.

I immediately started All-Stars and having Rupert and the two Robs back is pretty cool.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Hvz would be a good follow up.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Heroes vs Villains ^

But you might enjoy watching a few other previous seasons before jumping into that like China, Micronesia, Tocantins, maybe Samoa.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

China definitely to best understand Jame's great shame.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I think I'll just watch them all for now, at least until I get tired of watching so many episodes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, do that. I binged all the seasons a few years ago and it's easy enough for you to bail on a season when/if you realize there's nothing compelling you to keep watching. They're not long seasons and things tend to stay interesting enough even in the bad seasons until you get towards the end when the end game starts to emerge. That's when you're either engaged or you're not.

The only problem with my binge was the "Russell Fatigue" as seeing him pop up a third time really shut down me down.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 15, 2017

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im rewatching guatemala and it just reaffirms my old opinion that judd was the best casting that season. also really weird that they just let a tribe straight up visit another tribe out of boredom. this is straight up against the rules now right?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

its me glenda posted:

im rewatching guatemala and it just reaffirms my old opinion that judd was the best casting that season. also really weird that they just let a tribe straight up visit another tribe out of boredom. this is straight up against the rules now right?

It also happened on Cook islands.

Judd was great, but how about Jamie, eh? Eh???

A friend and I were talking about the garbage seasons we want to cast, and I reeeeeallllly want to see Brian Corridan get another shot. Now that I'm thinking of it, bringing Rafe back would also be pretty great.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Listening to Hannah on RHAP. She made a good point that it's a great thing Probst didn't make it a vote. Can you imagine if something crazy happens like Tai plays an idol on Varner and gets out Ozzy?

Not that he WOULD. It's just good that the option wasn't available just in case.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Listening to Hannah on RHAP. She made a good point that it's a great thing Probst didn't make it a vote. Can you imagine if something crazy happens like Tai plays an idol on Varner and gets out Ozzy?

Not that he WOULD. It's just good that the option wasn't available just in case.

Oh man imagine if Varner had his own idol...

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."

Max posted:

Hvz would be a good follow up.

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Heroes vs Villains ^

But you might enjoy watching a few other previous seasons before jumping into that like China, Micronesia, Tocantins, maybe Samoa.

Although, the idea of Survivor: Humans vs. Zombies could be fun.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You know I was just thinking it's going to be interesting to see what happens when the tribes meet or merge. After all, right now only Zeke's tribe knows about it (as far as I know), so I'm curious if it's just something Zeke is going to share with everyone else (either right before the next challenge or at the merge if he makes it), if someone else will let it slip, or if it just gets dropped.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I have a feeling it will get shared, but probably not on camera and I'm not sure if CBS would continue the trans survivor thing against Zeke's desire.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So who's gonna be first boot at the merge? I'm gonna guess Michaela - Mana's down 4-9, she's a challenge threat, she's lost her two closest allies back to back (Sandra and Varner), and it's hard for her to find new allies.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I'm not sure how many people see her as a challenge threat on this season. I don't remember her getting a ton of opportunity so far.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I doubt it's going to be a remaining original Mana Michaela/Aubry/Trozan/Hali slaughter. I think it's gonna be a Brad vs. Ozzy war

Brad, Sierra, Troyzan (with Aubry and Cirie?)
Ozzy, Andrea, Sarah, Zeke (with Debbie and Tai?)
Who knows what Michaela and Hali are going to do.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Michaela is playing a really quiet game, and yeah, hasn't had a chance to shine beyond digging up those bags. I think she'll go further.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/NEWS1130/status/853415929157496833

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

I doubt it's going to be a remaining original Mana Michaela/Aubry/Trozan/Hali slaughter. I think it's gonna be a Brad vs. Ozzy war

Brad, Sierra, Troyzan (with Aubry and Cirie?)
Ozzy, Andrea, Sarah, Zeke (with Debbie and Tai?)
Who knows what Michaela and Hali are going to do.

I'm hoping Sierra starts making some moves. She's in a really good position, but she's going to be in danger of ending up like her case in Worlds Apart where she's too passive to establish her position until she gets taken out for being the only non-immune threat left. There's a huge female majority, so if anyone's going to pull the pin on an all-girls alliance I imagine it'd be her or Sarah.

Also I think Tai won't stick with Ozzy's group and will go back to Brad. He's been having a very bad time on his current tribe.

Hali will probably end up going way too far without doing anything until she gets eliminated as an easy vote.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

The second ozzy doesnt win immunity post merge hes gone lmfao

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

winvirus posted:

The second ozzy doesnt win immunity post merge hes gone lmfao

Yes that's most likely scenario right now but so was david going home after zeke last season and yet he managed to avoid the bullet for long time. I would say that the drama that happens next episode will probably cause two parties vote for a non threatening because idols aren't likely to be played on these players (debbie, hali). After that they will start eating the big names (cirie,ozzy,tai) only reason why i include tai is because the idol factor he is known for.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm sure they will find a way to give Tai a 3rd idol once he goes looking for the merge idol lol.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ApplesandOranges posted:

So who's gonna be first boot at the merge?

Ozzy or Cirie hopefully. Down with the 4th timers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

ApplesandOranges posted:

So who's gonna be first boot at the merge? I'm gonna guess Michaela - Mana's down 4-9, she's a challenge threat, she's lost her two closest allies back to back (Sandra and Varner), and it's hard for her to find new allies.

if there were even one more OG Mana member, it might shake out that way, but there have been enough swaps and there's enough strong-willed players among Nuku that things will break down. Things will probably hinge on Brad, Zeke, Cirie, and Ozzy. Aubry, Michaela, Troyzan, and Hali will be valuable numbers for someone.

I think if Ozzy doesn't win individual immunity, he will become the first jury member. Hell, it might even end up being unanimous, like nobody wants to fire the first real shot so everyone agrees on just booting the biggest threat left.

• Locked thread